Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26620 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Other parcel just arrived - I NEED MORE SPACE!! 😒

I have been watching this offer for weeks. Was a self pick up only, but too far away from me. Price: Almost nothing. I have seen nobody was interested and afraid he going to scrap it. Therefore I asked for shipment and seller agreed. Price: Not much more than shipping costs.

Great case, very good condition!

IMG_0630r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0630r.jpg
File size
467.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Took a quick look inside..whats this 😎

IMG_0631r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0631r.jpg
File size
719.35 KiB
Views
File license

Ensoniq Opus - Great deal 😀

IMG_0632r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0632r.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 26622 of 52700, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Escom (germany) also sold black pcs around 92 in a custom case, with black monitor, keyboard, etc.

The chipset is old, this the reason, it is slower (eg between the opti 495 and the sis471 the difference somewhere more than 20%), maybe the 64m ram is over the cached area. I am sure, they upgraded this computer in more steps. The latest chip dates + months = selling date. It should be 92.

The cpu is from 95, the micropolis hdd from 94, and the 64m ram is more than overkill. Maybe check the mem ic dates too. The typical 92 top 486 was eisa in big case, directly before the vlb age - from august with dx2 66. A little bit later they replaced this type of computers with socket 4 pentiums.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 26623 of 52700, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Four ISA cards (3) trident 9000 and (1) Cirrus Logic.
5 3com Ethernet 3 PCMCIA cards with dongles.

Attachments

• 3com PCMCIA-005.jpg
    Filename
    3com PCMCIA-005.jpg
    File size
    53.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • iSA cards 4.jpg
    Filename
    iSA cards 4.jpg
    File size
    306.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 26625 of 52700, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

I have to say I love the fact that you created an image by copying one image 5 times! Awesome 🤣

😵 🤣

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 26626 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
arncht wrote:

Escom (germany) also sold black pcs around 92 in a custom case, with black monitor, keyboard, etc.

The chipset is old, this the reason, it is slower (eg between the opti 495 and the sis471 the difference somewhere more than 20%), maybe the 64m ram is over the cached area. I am sure, they upgraded this computer in more steps. The latest chip dates + months = selling date. It should be 92.

The cpu is from 95, the micropolis hdd from 94, and the 64m ram is more than overkill. Maybe check the mem ic dates too. The typical 92 top 486 was eisa in big case, directly before the vlb age - from august with dx2 66. A little bit later they replaced this type of computers with socket 4 pentiums.

When I was living in Florida working for a tech repair company we just never saw black tower cases except maybe on a rare occasion. It's not until the latter part of the 90s I started seeing black cases on a regular basis. The biggest plus for me is that I got the boot drive to work again and I am able to get all the obscure utilities for the hardware off of it such as the EISA configuartion utility for that board and the DPK SCSI config util as well. Trying to get the drive imaged as we speak so I have a solid backup.

Reply 26627 of 52700, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow what a monster this black AT BIG .. and HW inside, are you kidding us? 😁 Very nice machine 😳
Gateway 2000 is nice too, I like their style.

After long time something from "3dfx" 😀

IMG-3514-resize.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 26628 of 52700, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a keyboard for $4 at the thrift shop today with the cord still wrapped in plastic. It's got the big DIN 5 connector, a switch I assume changes between AT and XT, and best of all it's mechanical with no-name alps imitation switches.

Attachments

• 20181229_210457-1.jpg
    Filename
    20181229_210457-1.jpg
    File size
    405.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20181229_210403-1.jpg
    Filename
    20181229_210403-1.jpg
    File size
    458.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20181229_210353-1.jpg
    Filename
    20181229_210353-1.jpg
    File size
    850.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 26629 of 52700, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool keyboard. And $4 is pretty good for that. Test it on an XT machine and see how it works.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 26630 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Definitely a great deal for an XT/AT keyboard. I recently purchased 2 keyboard.. one having an XT/AT switch (also auto setting) and the other hopefully being one that is auto XT/AT and payed way more for them than that.

And to top it off, I had to repair the definitely XT/AT one because the space bar support tabs were broken and it was also missing the rubber "spring/dome". Ended up taking one from another key and cutting a spring I had as a temporary replacement for the key I took it from... really need a lighter spring, but it will have to wait till I find one and isn't super important because that key is pretty much never going to be used.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26631 of 52700, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And THAT is why I will ALWAYS buy any AT keyboard I come across.

I even have a couple of keyboards, where the switch was ever installed, but I can add one and enable XT mode.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26632 of 52700, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
detritus olentus wrote:

Found a keyboard for $4 at the thrift shop today with the cord still wrapped in plastic. It's got the big DIN 5 connector, a switch I assume changes between AT and XT, and best of all it's mechanical with no-name alps imitation switches.

I remember those exact keyboards. They were sold well into the 90's, so that alone speaks or the quality. Yes they are good keyboards. As they were sold up untill some 91/92/93, then I automatically think of 386 systems when I see one such keyboard. Back then, I was like "Cool. You can still buy 8088 compatible keyboards."

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 26633 of 52700, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

Definitely a great deal for an XT/AT keyboard. I recently purchased 2 keyboard.. one having an XT/AT switch (also auto setting) and the other hopefully being one that is auto XT/AT and payed way more for them than that.

And to top it off, I had to repair the definitely XT/AT one because the space bar support tabs were broken and it was also missing the rubber "spring/dome". Ended up taking one from another key and cutting a spring I had as a temporary replacement for the key I took it from... really need a lighter spring, but it will have to wait till I find one and isn't super important because that key is pretty much never going to be used.

There are so many fans of Model-M. And I dont blame them for loving extremely loud keyboards that has a tactile feedback that are a little physical kick in the fingertips, whenever the switch clicks.

Personally I like my keyboards quiet. If they are membrane or switches, I dont care. I just want them with a real metal spring that are between the keycap or membrane/switch. I want quiet keyboards. I am speaking of Amiga500(mitsumi)/Commodore64 or those that Compaq produced in the mid to late 90's. Uhhh... And I want my keyboard heavy, if it is a standalone one. Preferable if the maker have installed a metal plate inside or made the keyboard case from metal. Yet those are extremely rare to get. As everything was plastic in the 90's.

Reply 26634 of 52700, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
arncht wrote:

When I was living in Florida working for a tech repair company we just never saw black tower cases except maybe on a rare occasion. It's not until the latter part of the 90s I started seeing black cases on a regular basis. The biggest plus for me is that I got the boot drive to work again and I am able to get all the obscure utilities for the hardware off of it such as the EISA configuartion utility for that board and the DPK SCSI config util as well. Trying to get the drive imaged as we speak so I have a solid backup.

DmGAYxbWsAEanf2.jpg

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 26636 of 52700, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

@brostenen

Ibm made a model M that was a rubber dome. In case you were wondering.

It is the switch that IBM used, that I don't like. Does not matter if you install a rubber dome or keep the spring. It is strange, as I have no problem with this aproach if it is an arcade machine (those big ones like pacman). It is only when we are dealing with keyboards that I have to type letters or write essays on. Keyboards, no thanks. Casual gaming, yes please.

Reply 26637 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
arncht wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmGAYxbWsAEanf2.jpg […]
Show full quote
liqmat wrote:
arncht wrote:

DmGAYxbWsAEanf2.jpg

Nice ad. Good looking setup right there. That's another item I never saw come across my path. A 20MHz 486.

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-12-30, 19:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26638 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

And THAT is why I will ALWAYS buy any AT keyboard I come across.

I even have a couple of keyboards, where the switch was ever installed, but I can add one and enable XT mode.

The second one I bought had the option for the AT/XT switch. I was thinking that the circuitry for XT might not be included but now that you say that I will definitely have to disassemble and check it out.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26639 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This lot of AMD CPUs with no less than 3 K6-III CPUs.. two of them definitely 450Mhz. Can't read the other one at all because of the potato cam pics. Waited to post until I got shipping confirmation.

AMD CPU Lot.jpg
Filename
AMD CPU Lot.jpg
File size
294.09 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK