VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27221 of 52357, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cleaning up a new find from marktplaats, sneak peek...

DSC_0319.JPG
Filename
DSC_0319.JPG
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 27222 of 52357, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the SC-7 I bought from a couple of pages back: Sounds exactly like my SC-55 in games, so no need to upload a comparison. Still cool though.

Two new sets of purchases since then.

Ultimate Doom, Windows XP Pro Upgrade, G-Nome big boxes (all with full contents), Windows 95 sealed OEM, a bunch of floppies and a few ZIP disks. Total price, $20 AUD. A garage sale that actually paid off. Unheard of around here. Worth it for the Doom copy alone.

Floppies were a mix of driver floppies from Microsoft (Sidewinder and a mouse off the top of my head), Logitech, and just standard blanks that had their crap on it from two decades ago.

dyJqqdFl.jpg

Also bought an SC-88ST from Gumtree. Two reasons interested me - I didn't have an SC-88 in any form, and this one was white and not black. It needs some TLC cosmetically but it works just fine.

ttPEm7dl.jpgipwxEkQl.jpgCnbCBT3l.jpg

Early or late model? I have no idea. Will require some more investigation. 🤣

Reply 27223 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ nice stuff there, kudos!
I can confirm as well that SC-7 is maybe 99% same as the SC-55 in games that use the 128 GM sounds - it's a good module!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27224 of 52357, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:
n0m4d wrote:

I have a few of those. TV tuner with capture inputs plus 2MB ET4000.

http://resume.wizzard.com/w1995/NCA/11video.html
Video 20TD Live!
Graphic Card, Video Scaling, Video Capture & TV Tuner All in One!
2 Meg DRAM Windows Accelerator
Cable-ready TV tuner with 100-station memory
Video scaling provides full-screen video
Still-frame video capture
30fps video capture- 320x240 @ TV quality
Feature connector for MPEG player boards

.........................................................$499.95

that is pretty impressive for 1995 😮

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 27225 of 52357, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

It's a completely regular SC-88ST. Roland shipped them in metallic gray and white and I've seen no proof that either color was released later. Though, there are some oddball SC's floating around that have the EdiRol logo on them - those are units manufactured specifically for the US market, and you can find SC-xxST units and 88 Pro's with them as part of a short lived attempt to market those products as EdiRol devices (Roland's desktop division) instead of regular Roland synths.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 27226 of 52357, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
x0zm_ wrote:

It's a completely regular SC-88ST. Roland shipped them in metallic gray and white and I've seen no proof that either color was released later. Though, there are some oddball SC's floating around that have the EdiRol logo on them - those are units manufactured specifically for the US market, and you can find SC-xxST units and 88 Pro's with them as part of a short lived attempt to market those products as EdiRol devices (Roland's desktop division) instead of regular Roland synths.

Right, thanks. I was certain there was nothing special internally, it was just a curiosity to me since I'd always seen the black ones around both in person and on eBay. Good to know 😀

Reply 27227 of 52357, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
x0zm_ wrote:

Right, thanks. I was certain there was nothing special internally, it was just a curiosity to me since I'd always seen the black ones around both in person and on eBay. Good to know 😀

Indeed! I've been wanting one of those white units just for the sake of having one, cause I love that very abnormal color scheme. There's a few silver MIDI modules (8850 and MU1000 come to mind), but pure white is uncommon.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 27228 of 52357, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
x0zm_ wrote:
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

Indeed! I've been wanting one of those white units just for the sake of having one, cause I love that very abnormal color scheme. There's a few silver MIDI modules (8850 and MU1000 come to mind), but pure white is uncommon.

Yamaha TG300 also exists in white. Pretty rare though.

Reply 27229 of 52357, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a LONG time I own a computer in a proper case. The disk drive is giving me some trouble since I had to replace it and albeit the solution seemed to work - it doesn't. When the disk is inserted it snaps into place but can't be read. Open the case an it does works... what an anus.

The monitor is a Belinea cheapo but has great color reproduction rivalling that of the IIyama 451 I have in storage. Picture is unfortunately not that clear as the built in cable is of only moderate quality. Nonetheless for a cheap brand a really good picture. Even at 10% brightness it has a punch, so I guess the tube may last for some time.

Another "steal" were these Logitech speakers which do sound oustanding considering size and components.

Attachments

• Img_2831.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2831.jpg
    File size
    894.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Img_2859.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2859.jpg
    File size
    822.72 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 27230 of 52357, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:

After a LONG time I own a computer in a proper case. The disk drive is giving me some trouble since I had to replace it and albeit the solution seemed to work - it doesn't. When the disk is inserted it snaps into place but can't be read. Open the case an it does works... what an anus.

The monitor is a Belinea cheapo but has great color reproduction rivalling that of the IIyama 451 I have in storage. Picture is unfortunately not that clear as the built in cable is of only moderate quality. Nonetheless for a cheap brand a really good picture. Even at 10% brightness it has a punch, so I guess the tube may last for some time.

Another "steal" were these Logitech speakers which do sound oustanding considering size and components.

Is just taking of the cover enough to make the FDD work or do you also need to remove it from the bay?

I have sold many Belinea monitors. Thay had some pretty decent models, I especially remember a 15" model that was very good for the money.

I have the same Logitech speakers on my 'main' PC. I like them a lot.

1982 to 2001

Reply 27231 of 52357, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I have sold many Belinea monitors. Thay had some pretty decent models, I especially remember a 15" model that was very good for the money.

Yeah Belinea was a decent monitor if you were tight on money. I went for Iiyama myself which was cheap as well but had superior resolutions and a nice flat-ish screen. Heavy as hell though.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 27232 of 52357, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Is just taking of the cover enough to make the FDD work or do you also need to remove it from the bay? […]
Show full quote
amadeus777999 wrote:

Is just taking of the cover enough to make the FDD work or do you also need to remove it from the bay?

I have the same Logitech speakers on my 'main' PC. I like them a lot.

Removing the cover is enough.

Such a fiddle-fiddely issue sucks as the machine feels incomplete without a working disk drive. Any tips - should I try a zip drive as a substitute? I thought about a floppy emulator but the buttons wouldn't be reachable due to the depth of the opening in the chassis.

I always though that they sucked until I saw this one.
Somebody had a, for the times, HUGE 19" Belinea back then and it had zero color. I also had a 12" one from them and it too had that washed out, aweful picture.
Maybe Belineas shipped with different tubes?

Yep, relatively to their size they're lovely and pretty sturdy.

Reply 27233 of 52357, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:
<snip> […]
Show full quote

<snip>

Removing the cover is enough.

Such a fiddle-fiddely issue sucks as the machine feels incomplete without a working disk drive. Any tips - should I try a zip drive as a substitute? I thought about a floppy emulator but the buttons wouldn't be reachable due to the depth of the opening in the chassis.

<snip>

I would guess that the cover somehow puts pressure on the floppy drive, preventing it from working correctly. This might be the cover hitting the drive in some way, or maybe deforming the chassis when it is on the case?

You could try loosening the screws holding the drive a bit and then putting the cover on.

Also, did you try without the heavy monitor sitting on the case with the cover on?

1982 to 2001

Reply 27235 of 52357, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote:

Oh, I also have those same black Logitech speakers. Very decent sound plus very good weight!

The type is Logitech X-140 by the way.

1982 to 2001

Reply 27236 of 52357, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just arrived in the mail: two sound cards

One AWE64 CT4500 and a Crystal chip from Packard Bell. Both ISA bus.

20190213_164716 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20190213_164716 (Custom).jpg
File size
318.77 KiB
Views
File license
20190213_164659 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20190213_164659 (Custom).jpg
File size
330.66 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27237 of 52357, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not own many complete systems, but this one was a must have as its the same unknown manufacturer as my 1st 286-12 was from. This is a 286-16 in a nice case.
Packaging was very well, but unfortunately there is a little transport damage 🙁 Will not blame the seller for it...

IMG_0933r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0933r.jpg
File size
530.96 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0934r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0934r.jpg
File size
262.33 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0936r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0936r.jpg
File size
396.79 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0938r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0938r.jpg
File size
339.71 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27238 of 52357, by Bj0rn83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

I do not own many complete systems, but this one was a must have as its the same unknown manufacturer as my 1st 286-12 was from. This is a 286-16 in a nice case.
Packaging was very well, but unfortunately there is a little transport damage 🙁 Will not blame the seller for it...

Maybe you can try to melt the piece together from the back with a soldering iron.

Asus p3v133 | P533mhz | AWE64 | MT-32 | SC-55 |MU80

Reply 27239 of 52357, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muppets4 wrote:

a Crystal chip from Packard Bell. Both ISA bus.

That's Aztech OEM card. It's similar to AZT1605 I38-MMSN822.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.