Topic actions

Reply 27380 of 52664, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

"If I fits I ships" - cat, probably.

I have the CT4170 in my Socket 7 machine, and the CQM synth is crappy. Wish I can redirect the CQM to an external MIDI device that contains a real OPL3 chip, or swap it with an ESS AudioDrive ES1688F card.

Problem is that the CT4170 has a bug with its 16bit DMA. You can't set it to an * useful * DMA port ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 27381 of 52664, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:
From this weekend: […]
Show full quote

From this weekend:

apG83dll.jpg

Nice find, is this the one from Marktplaats? That external hard disk unit is rare, I have only seen a handful of them in the last 15 years and never owned one.

Reply 27382 of 52664, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Murugan wrote:
From this weekend: […]
Show full quote

From this weekend:

apG83dll.jpg

wow, if that's a real IBM expansion chassis AND has all the parts (cables & cards) that's an EASY 4-digit value if you decide to let it go.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27383 of 52664, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

wow, if that's a real IBM expansion chassis AND has all the parts (cables & cards) that's an EASY 4-digit value if you decide to let it go.

If it’s a fully working set, completely original and in a retail setting with a seller who’s willing to ship and pack properly, then maybe yes 😉

Reply 27385 of 52664, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Old PC Hunter wrote:

Have you tried rubbing down that Millenium in alcohol yet? I did that to my Radeon X1950XT that would not display and it was not recognized in Windows and driver install would fail. After rubbing the whole board in rubbing alcohol with a q tip, it works perfectly.

I slapped it into my XP machine and it seems to be working. It may have been a BIOS issue. In my XP machine it will not output any video until Windows loads.

Now I'm about to rub my x1950 down to see if that brings it back to life.

Reply 27386 of 52664, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MSI GeForce4 Ti4600-VT2D8X, dual DVI
Surprised I was the only bidder on this one, under $40 shipped. Guaranteed working, 30 day return policy.
HotHardware Review: https://hothardware.com/reviews/msis-vt2d8x-g … 4-ti4600?page=1

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    314.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 27388 of 52664, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today i received two Geforce4 4200TI's from Asus. One 64Mb and one 128Mb. For 25 euro's including shipping.

And an IBM LCD monitor. I tried two CRT monitors. Both gave problems and sounds that made be afraid my house burns down.

Reply 27389 of 52664, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muppets4 wrote:

I tried two CRT monitors. Both gave problems and sounds that made be afraid my house burns down.

I love the sound CRTs make when they start... *GAAAAAFHWHHOOOOOMPPH t-t-t-t-t-t-t-tt-t---tt--tt-t-tt-t--t-t--t*

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 27390 of 52664, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:
Muppets4 wrote:

I tried two CRT monitors. Both gave problems and sounds that made be afraid my house burns down.

I love the sound CRTs make when they start... *GAAAAAFHWHHOOOOOMPPH t-t-t-t-t-t-t-tt-t---tt--tt-t-tt-t--t-t--t*

That sound is actually your power meter barely being able to handle the sudden extra power draw form the CRT starting up. 🤣

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27391 of 52664, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received an unusually packaged graphics card today. A Tseng Labs ET6000 (4 MB MDRAM) in a blister package. Vivanco was a European based PC and Hifi accessories supplier. They had no own manufacturing facilities, instead they often bought left over stock from 3rd party manufacturers like Cardex in this case. Happy to see all memory sockets populated. German language indicates this must have been intended for German, Austrian or Swiss markets.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    349.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    335.66 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 27392 of 52664, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got something kind of neat today: a NOS sealed 3COM 3C515-TX network card for ISA!

jHfhd6rm.jpg
O4RijP4m.jpg

I always use network cards on all of my rigs, and 386 and 486 are no exceptions, so I actually do need this because I only have one 3C509 card.

The 3C515-TX is a pretty late model (it says it was produced 1996 according to the PCB) and it boasts "supporting" 100 mbps LAN (which 3C509 does not). I do suspect that I won't see any real difference because of ISA bus limitations. Also I think it's nice to have the original driver floppy which I've already uploaded to the Vogonsdrivers thread.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 27393 of 52664, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

16 bit ISA at 8MHz can theoretically go up to 15MB/sec, 100Mbps = 12.5MB/sec at best, If your rig has VLB/PCI ide controller, it should be ok. You might not max out the bandwidth, but it will still be an improvement over the 1.25MB/sec a 10Mbps card would provide.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 27395 of 52664, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"cult" implies a negative.

3com cards are practically the best ethernet cards you can buy for anything 10/100.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27396 of 52664, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

16 bit ISA at 8MHz can theoretically go up to 15MB/sec, 100Mbps = 12.5MB/sec at best, If your rig has VLB/PCI ide controller, it should be ok. You might not max out the bandwidth, but it will still be an improvement over the 1.25MB/sec a 10Mbps card would provide.

More importantly, if you're using a hub, it doesn't slow down other devices to the 10Mbps level. Plus some recent devices (I have a pair of powerline adapters here guilty on this count) drop support for 10MbE completely.

Reply 27397 of 52664, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NIB peripherals, anyone? (it had plastic wrap on it when I got it. Removed it last night when the package arrived)

IMG_6918.JPG
Filename
IMG_6918.JPG
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6919.JPG
Filename
IMG_6919.JPG
File size
1.98 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6920.JPG
Filename
IMG_6920.JPG
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6922.JPG
Filename
IMG_6922.JPG
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license

There's a story here... I had one of these for years, all the way up until about a week ago, when I decided I was going to "fix" the problems it had (i.e., the ball kept getting stuck in the plastic, things weren't moving smoothly, plastic had yellowed) and ended up warping the plastic when I tried an experimental retrobriting method.

So much for that! But eBay comes to the rescue with one of these snazzy mice NIB for cheap. I just really like the design of this mouse. It's perfect for laptops, also, because the cord is not very long.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 27398 of 52664, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:

Received an unusually packaged graphics card today. A Tseng Labs ET6000 (4 MB MDRAM) in a blister package. Vivanco was a European based PC and Hifi accessories supplier. They had no own manufacturing facilities, instead they often bought left over stock from 3rd party manufacturers like Cardex in this case. Happy to see all memory sockets populated. German language indicates this must have been intended for German, Austrian or Swiss markets.

There is even a cdrom with 10 hours of free internet inside, lucky you!

I like the card, and the packaging. Congrats!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 27399 of 52664, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My hits from today

Attachments