Topic actions

Reply 27900 of 52702, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received the Yamaha FB-01 today and did some tests on it:

1) plugged in the unit and it powered on without issues
2) unplugged the unit, opened the unit to get to the battery, and according to my multimeter, it showed 2.85V, which is a good sign that the battery was still good*
3) hooked it up to my laptop using my Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI adapter and played some games with DOSBox.

* will install a removable battery method someday.

I also attempted to install some sound banks using MIDI-OX and it shows as dump/received!! but it's not loading for some reason. The FB01 Sound Editor software refuses to open those SYX files for an odd reason.

Sound banks obtained from here: http://mmmazes.blogspot.com/2010/05/fb-01-patches.html

I also did some inspections for anything wrong and no missing or broken pieces on the unit itself. Could use a bit of cleaning in the back, however, there is a bit of paint missing on the top cover. Other than that, in great condition and working without issues. Best of all, no damage from the shipping carrier and packed very well with packing peanuts and bubble wrap.

Pictures:

iywxCkPm.jpg

W7gqhJzm.jpg

h1Bh9uXm.jpg

uoLkqwXm.jpg

hL5OUDOm.jpg

bncucMim.jpg

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/LlOsTnc

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27901 of 52702, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

I also attempted to install some sound banks using MIDI-OX and it shows as dump/received!! but it's not loading for some reason. The FB01 Sound Editor software refuses to open those SYX files for an odd reason.

Sound banks obtained from here: http://mmmazes.blogspot.com/2010/05/fb-01-patches.html

Well, if they were for the DX-21 originally and were manually converted to something the FB-01 can load, it may very well be that its software editor cannot handle them due to subtle differences...

(actually, I didn't know other Yamaha 4-op patches could be successfully converted to the FB-01, as the latter is a rather simplified module compared to the others)

Does the FB-01 have a memory protection setting (like most Yamahas)? If so, disable that before sending a dump to it. Also make sure you're sending it to the user bank...

Reply 27902 of 52702, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had the memory protection disabled by going into System Settings. I'll send a command via the Sysex applet and see if that works. Probably the computer is too fast to send the commands, and I probably need to change the latency to a lower setting possibly?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27903 of 52702, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a while since I bought a scrap lot, but this went within my price range and actually contains something I want - the cards on the right being the most interesting, with the pile of laptop fans being the least interesting 😁

Highlights:
Matrox MGA with memory expansion
Medion 9800XL
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
Very disgusting Soundblaster Vibra card
Basic CMI8738 card
Soundblaster Live SB4760 - reminds me of the one I had in my Athlon 800 PC

HardwareSelection190326.jpg
Filename
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27904 of 52702, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Btw, what digital connector is that on the Chips card? It almost looks like it would fit a 1600SW... could that be the elusive Siemens-Nixdorf S26361-D964-A11GS-7? If so I might DM you offering a kidney shortly 😉

Its a Siemens W26361-D964-X-02 / W26361-D964-Z4-02-36. Send me a PM if interested 😉

IMG_2681r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2681r.jpg
File size
935.63 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_2682r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2682r.jpg
File size
589.61 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27905 of 52702, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thermalwrong wrote:
It's been a while since I bought a scrap lot, but this went within my price range and actually contains something I want - the c […]
Show full quote

It's been a while since I bought a scrap lot, but this went within my price range and actually contains something I want - the cards on the right being the most interesting, with the pile of laptop fans being the least interesting 😁

Highlights:
Matrox MGA with memory expansion
Medion 9800XL
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
Very disgusting Soundblaster Vibra card
Basic CMI8738 card
Soundblaster Live SB4760 - reminds me of the one I had in my Athlon 800 PC

Sweet. If so inclined you can make some very nice low profile coolers out of those laptop coolers for retro machines so that you aren't using a cooler that will block longer cards from being used

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27906 of 52702, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soooo, somewhat interesting haul today:

yt6D8Uhm.jpg?1

It's an ASUS TX97-X motherboard. 430TX chipset, onboard SB16 Vibra (no OPL3, unfortunately), 4 ISA slots.

I have a soft spot for ATX boards, and I'm still looking for a proper "universal" DOS build because my Pentium 3 machine doesn't run some games I want. So I might patch this board for K6-3+ support and try setmul (or even try it with Pentiums) and install DOS/Win 3.11.

Below is a Tseng ET6000, but oddly enough all the MDRAM chips have been removed. I have other Tseng cards, so this one will probably be tested and sold.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 27907 of 52702, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am new here, this is my todays finding

Attachments

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 27908 of 52702, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far my most expensive additions to collection. Buyed from China. Nec TE5LS - mainstream model of last generation of NEC OpenGL accelerators sold only in NEC workstations.
S3 Supersavage is mobile chip with some additional chips for camera inputs.

Edit: have someone some connections on NEC USA? Looking for whitepapers that sadly web archive have not....
http://web.archive.org/web/20021017224525/htt … p.com/graphics/

Attachments

• supersavagesmall.jpg
    Filename
    supersavagesmall.jpg
    File size
    274.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • te5lback.jpg
    Filename
    te5lback.jpg
    File size
    262.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • guess1.jpg
    Filename
    guess1.jpg
    File size
    200.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • guess.jpg
    Filename
    guess.jpg
    File size
    289.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by vlask on 2019-03-26, 22:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 27909 of 52702, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On today's episode of "Terrible packaging by eBay sellers" and maybe also "terrible postage service from Bulgaria":
Oh, wonderful, that's just fine!

IMG_7085.jpg
Filename
IMG_7085.jpg
File size
122.52 KiB
Views
File license

Nothing to see here!

IMG_7086.jpg
Filename
IMG_7086.jpg
File size
362.61 KiB
Views
File license

A single layer of 1/8 inch foam, that'll protect it all right! (there was no bubble wrap in the box and it was just barely big enough for the card)

IMG_7087.jpg
Filename
IMG_7087.jpg
File size
435.06 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_7088.jpg
Filename
IMG_7088.jpg
File size
552.68 KiB
Views
File license

But fortunately the card is fine. ET3000AX for my work-in-progress 286. Haven't had time to test it though 😵

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 27910 of 52702, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
respect2759 wrote:

Welcome to the forum 😀

That looks like a pretty good board - I have a couple of LPX boards myself that I have yet to do anything with - do you have the riser card? It looks like as LPX boards go, it's quite good, nice integrated graphics (with extra ram fitted?) and standard cache.

vlask wrote:

So far my most expensive additions to collection. Buyed from China. Nec TE5LS - mainstream model of last generation of NEC OpenGL accelerators sold only in NEC workstations.

Interesting - I had no idea there was an S3 Supersavage IX card variant - they're fairly good for PCI cards aren't they? My IBM T23 had the same card and Unreal era games were moderately playable on it.

cyclone3d wrote:

Sweet. If so inclined you can make some very nice low profile coolers out of those laptop coolers for retro machines so that you aren't using a cooler that will block longer cards from being used

Yeah, sadly my house is full of electronics and heatsinks and things that I don't want though, so I'll probably combine it with a large selection of modems and other boards I don't want, to go off as scrap again . I'll keep *some* of the laptop heatsinks though, those little blower fans can be handy, but adapting the heatpipe fitting to anything useful is beyond me right now

Reply 27911 of 52702, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vlask wrote:

Love the name of that S3, SUPER SAVAGE and absolutely love the HSF design on that NEC card.

Reply 27912 of 52702, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:
respect2759 wrote:

Welcome to the forum 😀

That looks like a pretty good board - I have a couple of LPX boards myself that I have yet to do anything with - do you have the riser card? It looks like as LPX boards go, it's quite good, nice integrated graphics (with extra ram fitted?) and standard cache.

I dont have the riser card 🙁 This is my oldest PC so I dont know much about it. It has inetgrates 512Kb graphics and extra 512Kb added, its the max amount. Processor is i483DX and 2x4Mb RAM. It was a lucky find for 10Euros + 3EURO postage 😀 The battery is dead, I will replace it. My othet build is my very first pc a Pentium 1 will post something tomorrow

Reply 27913 of 52702, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been a little scarce lately for vintage PC stuff, however I did just grab this off the local classifieds:

qHb2uFf.jpg
Filename
qHb2uFf.jpg
File size
453.79 KiB
Views
File license
PfHdiD8.jpg
Filename
PfHdiD8.jpg
File size
923.91 KiB
Views
File license
tuner.jpg
Filename
tuner.jpg
File size
251.21 KiB
Views
File license

1966 GE Porta-color, all tube, possibly all original - very low hours 😀

Reply 27914 of 52702, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
respect2759 wrote:

Nice little LPX. Watch out with the RAM - you almost certainly need four identical 30p SIMMs in the first bank to be able to boot, not the two in here now.

Reply 27915 of 52702, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
probnot wrote:

Been a little scarce lately for vintage PC stuff, however I did just grab this off the local classifieds:

Very nice find!! Would love to see NES on a classic like that.

Reply 27916 of 52702, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
beastlike wrote:
probnot wrote:

Very nice find!! Would love to see NES on a classic like that.

No NES, but how about some Goldeneye?

bond.jpg
Filename
bond.jpg
File size
343.65 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27917 of 52702, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
respect2759 wrote:

I dont have the riser card 🙁 This is my oldest PC so I dont know much about it. It has inetgrates 512Kb graphics and extra 512Kb added, its the max amount. Processor is i483DX and 2x4Mb RAM. It was a lucky find for 10Euros + 3EURO postage 😀 The battery is dead, I will replace it. My othet build is my very first pc a Pentium 1 will post something tomorrow

Be careful with the riser boards you may be able to find and first try to find the motherboard manual (that hopefully will show which riser boards can be used), as sometimes the riser boards are specific to the motherboard.

Reply 27918 of 52702, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
respect2759 wrote:

Nice little LPX. Watch out with the RAM - you almost certainly need four identical 30p SIMMs in the first bank to be able to boot, not the two in here now.

I dont have more 30p SIMMS only these two. This is my oldest PC I am new in retro field I was only collecting now I want to start with builds. So I have to buy now 4 identical? Here we dont have much retro stuff and ebay shipping fees are too high for me (for a 1euro thing postage is about 10-15) I found the manual online, its a Siemens Nixdorf S26361-D756-v motherboard.

Reply 27919 of 52702, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Asus PhysX P1 Card

with Cellfactor and some other Games bundled.

Attachments

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board