VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28960 of 52338, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:

Not today but yesterday. While most folks in my country were sitting on their lazy asses in the sun yesterday, I took my opportunity to buy some computers from a museum collection:

New for me is the HP 9835A, which I have never owned.

Needless to say I've had an amazing day and today is even better because the HP 9835A powered up and so did the Sharp MZ-80K 😊

Holy noodle! I love late 70s and early 80s stuff, and I never see it except in archive.org magazines. One of these days I'll be in the right place at the right time.

Or 3D print a Soroc or IMSAI VDP-80 orCanon AS-100 case and mount an emulator in it.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 28961 of 52338, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Merovign wrote:

Holy noodle! I love late 70s and early 80s stuff, and I never see it except in archive.org magazines. One of these days I'll be in the right place at the right time.

Or 3D print a Soroc or IMSAI VDP-80 orCanon AS-100 case and mount an emulator in it.

The Sharp MZ-80K is from 1979 (it has date codes on the DRAM IC's), maybe the HP 9835A too (the interweb claims it was manufactured from 1979-1983). The rest is certainly from the 1980's (rest: Apple Macintosh II, HP Integral PC, Epson PX-8, Tulip PC Compact 2, Spectravideo SV 328). The Sharp MZ-80K is pretty rare in Europe nowadays, especially compared to a common black & white Commodore PET 2001, but the HP 9835A is very rare. The HP 9835B (without CRT) is much more common. I think that if you're willing to spend time on searching the internet every day and ask people for old computers, then you might still be able to find such old treasures.

Reply 28962 of 52338, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thunderboard? I've never seen it before. SB compatible?

I'm in Sopot now and I met a guy on the train that tells me to check out Lombard (like a pawn shop) for old computer stuff. I'll give it a shot, see what's around here.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 28963 of 52338, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote:

Thunderboard? I've never seen it before. SB compatible?

Yes, mostly SB (2.0 ?) compatible.
Some MediaVision chips + Yamaha OPL2, but no sockets for CMS.
I've had some compatibility problems with mine, though, and the amusing thing is that it was with Pinball Fantasies, which explicitely lists ThunderBoard as one of the supported devices.
Actually, the "ThunderBoard" option uses the SB 1.x driver, so it works perfectly with any SB clone, just not ThunderBoard 😁

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 28964 of 52338, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, if I ever see one on allegro, I'll buy it. 😁 If the price is right. Speaking of allegro,

Looks like I lost this one:

https://allegro.pl/oferta/stary-komputer-ambr … acf77d00be2ff62

The price got a little too high for me with no guarantees of it working, plus it looks like it has no cache, an SX-25 CPU, and a relatively small hard drive. I could have probably doubled my earnings on it, but with the work involved in bringing it up to spec with a CDROM and a soundcard, it scarcely seems worth my while. Plus the seller never answered my questions about it. Oh well, someone bought it for close to $170 with shipping! That's a lot for something like this in the country it is being sold in, I've had cousins buy Seicentos and Matizes for about the same out in the boonies.

Reply 28966 of 52338, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retropol wrote:

what special is in this computer?

Nothing. It would be special if I can get it for 150 PLN, or at most 200. This is why I stopped bidding 😉

This would have been purely a turnaround machine. I think by now most Poles have figured out that these antiques are worth a little more. It was not so long ago that I would buy random boxes (like Nostalgia Nerd did a while back with his Hungarian PC) and find really cool things inside - A Voodoo 2, several SCSI hard drives not connected, neat Yamaha soundcards... Albeit sometimes I would get burned and buy pure shit. One particularly bad lot, the only working thing was a 250Mb hard drive, and I sold that for exactly what it cost me for the whole rotten pile of crap, shipping included. I even got a decent case out of it for a future build, but it required a lot of cleanup and painting.

All in all, this venture of mine is going to come to an end in about a year, and it seems that the local market is wising up. But you can still find the occasional gem here and there. Right now I am focusing on individual components, partially for builds of my own, partially for resale.

Reply 28967 of 52338, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For example, this just came up:

https://allegro.pl/oferta/retro-komputer-cx48 … 40hz-8169963891

It will likely go over 250PLN, which for a clone, is too much for me. It has several things going for it: VESA, a case with a spot for a seven segment display, and a switchable (to 120v) AT power supply.

I don't get too bent out of shape about not winning these, as there is only a certain amount of this stuff I can bring back with me from Poland at any given time, and it has to be well worth my while to do so.

Plus also I have like 20+ AT systems at my home right now, which will likely occupy me well into winter of this year, and a local source (albeit not nearly as profitable) at hand.

Plus, really, in the end, I get to build AT systems 25 years after I learned how to build AT systems and have a little fun!

Reply 28968 of 52338, by Scottmm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote:
MSI 694D Pro V1.0 Motherboard (seller photo). Looks like it comes with some RAM and CPU's as well, but I don't know what they ar […]
Show full quote

MSI 694D Pro V1.0 Motherboard (seller photo). Looks like it comes with some RAM and CPU's as well, but I don't know what they are yet. Unsure if this board can support a dual Tualatin mod, but I'll find out. If not, I'll just stick with some 1GHz PIII's.

2EIL8l8h.jpg

Let us(me) know how your board and dual 1.4's go I have that board and dual 1.4's but when the second chip is installed I get ram errors and generally unstable.

Reply 28969 of 52338, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
Merovign wrote:

The Sharp MZ-80K is from 1979 (it has date codes on the DRAM IC's), maybe the HP 9835A too (the interweb claims it was manufactured from 1979-1983). The rest is certainly from the 1980's (rest: Apple Macintosh II, HP Integral PC, Epson PX-8, Tulip PC Compact 2, Spectravideo SV 328). The Sharp MZ-80K is pretty rare in Europe nowadays, especially compared to a common black & white Commodore PET 2001, but the HP 9835A is very rare. The HP 9835B (without CRT) is much more common. I think that if you're willing to spend time on searching the internet every day and ask people for old computers, then you might still be able to find such old treasures.

Yeah if I was still making what I was 3 years ago I'd already have them, I'm sure. 😐

Hope you have fun with them! Nice to see they found a home.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 28972 of 52338, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:
This just got delivered at work. Still sealed […]
Show full quote

This just got delivered at work. Still sealed

RqbBxOil.jpg

Hell ya!!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 28973 of 52338, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
This isn't new, but just detailed pics of the motherboard and cards that came in that rack mount wave soldering computer I poste […]
Show full quote

This isn't new, but just detailed pics of the motherboard and cards that came in that rack mount wave soldering computer I posted in here a while ago.

mb_model.JPG

The Red comtrol card is an 8-port serial card.
The AVED card ( AV550-LVDS ) Is a video card that is also a controller for I think a touch screen LVDS flatscreen display. I didn't really find exact specs on this model, but did find some info on a newer model.

Pretty much useless to me.

cards.JPG

That looks like the Aved AV550 I've been following on ebay, because I need a video card for my lunchbox that can drive the internal display. The one hitch making me hesitate to buy it (other than compatibility question; but the lunchbox is supposed to take a Chips video card) is if I would eventually be able to connect the output of a Voodoo 2 accelerator to its video input, so I could have 3D acceleration on the internal display.

Reply 28975 of 52338, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

I've got a thunderboard as well. Came in a completely unknown to me lot of cards I got a while back. All I knew was it was ISA sound cards. I might actually have 2.

These came today - a couple a Intel QX9775 CPUs - cost was $20 shipped. 😀 I already have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard that is modded for LGA771 CPUs and I think I have at least 1 more of those conversion stickers. If not, I'll have to order some more.

2x Intel QX9775.jpg

I know where you can find an appropriate cooling system for those CPUs. These guys are doing a part out right now, should have what your looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

You might need more than one. Those were only designed to cool nuclear reactors.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 28976 of 52338, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
I know where you can find an appropriate cooling system for those CPUs. These guys are doing a part out right now, should have w […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

I've got a thunderboard as well. Came in a completely unknown to me lot of cards I got a while back. All I knew was it was ISA sound cards. I might actually have 2.

These came today - a couple a Intel QX9775 CPUs - cost was $20 shipped. 😀 I already have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard that is modded for LGA771 CPUs and I think I have at least 1 more of those conversion stickers. If not, I'll have to order some more.

2x Intel QX9775.jpg

I know where you can find an appropriate cooling system for those CPUs. These guys are doing a part out right now, should have what your looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

You might need more than one. Those were only designed to cool nuclear reactors.

HAHAHAHAHA.

I'll probably be using one of my enormous heatpipe coolers.... maybe a Noctua NH-D14 or similar.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28977 of 52338, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a small box of old CD / DVD drives from my local IT recycler, for beer money 😀 - most seem to still work, except a few dodgy Samsungs. No SCSI ones, but these are probably the stand-out IDE retro ones

optical1.jpg
Filename
optical1.jpg
File size
938.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
optical2.jpg
Filename
optical2.jpg
File size
438.48 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 28978 of 52338, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^ I seem to recall BTC CDROMS ejecting discs still spinning. This year I got a P166 with a 10x BTC CDROM and yeah, I recalled correctly.

Excellent driver software package though, I've been using it for 20+ years on all my retro builds (same diskette, too!)

Reply 28979 of 52338, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From a friend who was throwing these away. Paid a modest 5€ for the lot as a gesture of goodwill.

cards1.jpg
Filename
cards1.jpg
File size
717.23 KiB
Views
File license
cards2.jpg
Filename
cards2.jpg
File size