VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29240 of 52353, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ yeah, integrated sound+modem. Most of these have a piece of black plastic over the modem part but it's missing here. On closer inspection, the audio chip is a MediaVision Jazz16, but I don't know if this will behave as one of those yet.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29241 of 52353, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote:

I remember seeing that plug style when I was wondering what the WSS standard was all about, it's the Microsoft Windows Sound System card 😀

You are right - many thanks!!! 😀

Dont find too much about that card and no offers at Ebay. Is it a rare card worth buying? Features seem to be quite OK, with OPL and SB compatability.

EDIT: Found one:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Microsoft-Windows-Sou … =p2047675.l2557

40$ for a new one...therefore I will not get it.

Reply 29242 of 52353, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not everyone is willing / capable of doing the necessary repairs to save some of these items from being scrapped for gold though. If we're not looking at these, and no one else is looking to sort the wheat from the chaff, doesn't that mean that each of those cards will be cut up to melt down for gold?

Personally I like finding interesting things that are otherwise unattainable because they're now rare enough that they've gone well beyond what I'm willing to pay.

Reply 29243 of 52353, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had some sorting to do this weekend, got a big box full of...

a few gems in there, going to need to straighten out a few pins here and there...

cpus01.jpg
Filename
cpus01.jpg
File size
104.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

with the few I already had I think I have a good selection for socket A now, and yes that's a Barton 3200+ on top

cpus02.jpg
Filename
cpus02.jpg
File size
138.91 KiB
Views
File license

and a bunch of more modern stuff

cpus03.jpg
Filename
cpus03.jpg
File size
113.25 KiB
Views
File license

that was definitely worth it, the collection is growing 😀
I need to find a proper way to store all those CPUs, at least the good ones... I saw a video from phil today where he had them in small ziploc ESD bags, probably going to do that and label each one.

I just hope that most of them will still work, at least they're safe now 😀

also got this in the mail:

ga-6bxe.jpg
Filename
ga-6bxe.jpg
File size
164.8 KiB
Views
File license

I probably paid too much for it but I very specifically picked this board for nostalgic reasons, it was the first motherboard I bought when I built my first very own computer back in 1998 same revision even, I started with a 386 in 1989 but this was mine alone 😀
I'm trying to slowly rebuild my personal computing history.

Reply 29244 of 52353, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
Artex wrote:

Not only is finding one of these tough, but boxed is even tougher, boxed and complete is even tougher, but boxed, complete & with the optional surround/reverb module is pretty much unobtaniaum!

Well crap. Of course the second I say that, another one shows up on eBay. Literally have never seen one in my many years of collecting.

That auction ended. That end price is just insane.

1982 to 2001

Reply 29245 of 52353, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Artex wrote:
Artex wrote:

Not only is finding one of these tough, but boxed is even tougher, boxed and complete is even tougher, but boxed, complete & with the optional surround/reverb module is pretty much unobtaniaum!

Well crap. Of course the second I say that, another one shows up on eBay. Literally have never seen one in my many years of collecting.

Saw that!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 29246 of 52353, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Benetton93 wrote:

Unlike standard FX5200, this thing is not quite common

Very uncommon I'd say. Used to have one back in the day, but I've never seen another since (5200 ultra that is). Nice find!

Reply 29247 of 52353, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought some retro console stuff - a VMU memory card & 2x MadCatz Force Packs for my Sega Dreamcast.

I don't know about anyone else, but buying 2nd hand used memory cards always makes me a little nosey to see what the previous owner was playing. In this case it was Shenmue & a game which I can't quite make out, but based upon the icon and filename - sakatok2 could be "Soccer Tsuku Tokudaigou 2".

It's ironic really, as Shenmue was pretty much the reason I bought another VMU, as I was running out of space for saves. So I might take a sneek peak at the previous owner's progress. 🤣

Reply 29248 of 52353, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

He also had a sweet Aptiva P133 set up running Doom for people to play. I approved.

DSCN6063.JPG

That's one nice setup there. Finding that monitor in good working condition with low hours on the CRT is almost mission impossible.

Reply 29249 of 52353, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These odd graphic cards... I'm pretty sure they were designed for some sort of industrial machinery like CNC machine or something...

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29250 of 52353, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Artex wrote:
Artex wrote:

Jeebus cripes...

To counter that, here's what I just bought for 1/1000 of that (4 EUR):

zenith1.JPG

zenith2.JPG

zenith3.JPG

Local pickup, I was the only bidder. It boots with a "Disk error". Some of the games are incomplete, but what's there is minty fresh!

There's still hope for us cheapskates. 😀

Reply 29251 of 52353, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

These odd graphic cards... I'm pretty sure they were designed for some sort of industrial machinery like CNC machine or something...

Ah, that mysterious card with no video RAM...
AGP was designed to allow use of the host RAM, but it was supposed only to be used for textures, to supplement the card's own RAM.
Does that card work in a regular motherboard?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 29252 of 52353, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote:
Ah, that mysterious card with no video RAM... AGP was designed to allow use of the host RAM, but it was supposed only to be used […]
Show full quote
HanJammer wrote:

AGP was designed to allow use of the host RAM, but it was supposed only to be used for textures, to supplement the card's own RAM.

Maybe RAM is on another side of PCB... IMHO the cards look like prototype desktop versions or versions for software driver developers. Because I saw CHIPS graphics only in laptops.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 29255 of 52353, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman555 wrote:

Maybe RAM is on another side of PCB...

Obviously it's this card - https://allegro.pl/oferta/absolutnie-unikalna … -agp-8192192262
No RAM on the reverse side, either!
And looks like the seller got it to work, so I guess it does work with regular mobos.
Weird thing, indeed!

IMHO the cards look like prototype desktop versions or versions for software driver developers. Because I saw CHIPS graphics only in laptops.

I've seen CHIPS on regular cards, but they were mostly EGA and early VGA, for 8-bit ISA.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 29256 of 52353, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote:
Ah, that mysterious card with no video RAM... AGP was designed to allow use of the host RAM, but it was supposed only to be used […]
Show full quote
HanJammer wrote:

Probably, because it does have video memory - there's 2MB of embedded SDRAM in the Chips B69000 😉

Reply 29257 of 52353, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Probably, because it does have video memory - there's 2MB of embedded SDRAM in the Chips B69000 😉

OK, mystery solved, then.
Anyway, Dotronic seems to specialize in industrial gear, so obviously that's where those cards came from.

Reply 29258 of 52353, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my bandmates arrived few minutes ago and said: I know you are computer rubbish freak, so here you go!
I was a bit sceptic at first, but then I opened tower she brought and inside was:
Dual Slot 1 motherboard (Tyan Tiger) with two P3-733 (and one ISA slot!)
512 MB RAM
Matrox G400
Matrox RT2000 video editing card
Some additional PCI IDE card (maybe some RAID solution?)
Bunch of hard drives
SB 128 (cheap PCI)

I gave her bottle of red wine and small bottle of home-made appricot brandy 😉

So... what is the oldest system which can use two CPUs?

Attachments

• DSC_0104.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0104.JPG
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    MB
    File license

Reply 29259 of 52353, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman555 wrote:
Grzyb wrote:
Show full quote
HanJammer wrote:

Maybe RAM is on another side of PCB... IMHO the cards look like prototype desktop versions or versions for software driver developers. Because I saw CHIPS graphics only in laptops.

No, it's not. It's built into the chipset. I havn't tested it yet, but it was sold as working and seller showed some screens of it working... we will see.

Grzyb wrote:
Obviously it's this card - https://allegro.pl/oferta/absolutnie-unikalna … -agp-8192192262 No RAM on the reverse side, either! A […]
Show full quote
Roman555 wrote:

Maybe RAM is on another side of PCB...

Obviously it's this card - https://allegro.pl/oferta/absolutnie-unikalna … -agp-8192192262
No RAM on the reverse side, either!
And looks like the seller got it to work, so I guess it does work with regular mobos.
Weird thing, indeed!

IMHO the cards look like prototype desktop versions or versions for software driver developers. Because I saw CHIPS graphics only in laptops.

I've seen CHIPS on regular cards, but they were mostly EGA and early VGA, for 8-bit ISA.

Yeah, that's this one 😉

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg