VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29780 of 52361, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These arrived today, after long wait. AWE64 Gold for 15 euros and Aureal Vortex 2 for 12 euros 😀

IMGP1392_.jpg
Filename
IMGP1392_.jpg
File size
545.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29782 of 52361, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrFr wrote:

These arrived today, after long wait. AWE64 Gold for 15 euros and Aureal Vortex 2 for 12 euros 😀

IMGP1392_.jpg

Wow, that AWE64 gold is a great deal! Congrats

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 29783 of 52361, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retropol wrote:
how do you find this 2001' dvd by Pioneer. Bought it for my 2000'PC ATHLON setup. […]
Show full quote

how do you find this 2001' dvd by Pioneer. Bought it for my 2000'PC ATHLON setup.

qy4qc10.jpg

I love slot-in optical drives.

Reply 29784 of 52361, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:
retropol wrote:

how do you find this 2001' dvd by Pioneer. Bought it for my 2000'PC ATHLON setup.

I love slot-in optical drives.

I have one in my Slot A setup. I'm not a big fan, but it's not bad either. Recently I've seen another one for sale for 2 Euro on local auctions, I kind of regret I didn't bought it.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29785 of 52361, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

@dionb, yes, here in EE, the 22 and 150 eur limits are the same. (The flat tax of 13 eur must be NL specific) But that 22 eur is including shipping and the vat tax goes onto the full price, not on the item price. After 150 eur, the tariff tax goes onto the item price only.

(These rules should be the same in all EU countries. Only difference is the VAT tax percentage itself. Even tariffs are same, i believe)

The flat tax is not a flat tax, it is a S&H charge by the Dutch postal services for handling a customs declaration that they keep raising and raising - it hasn't been 13 Euros for a long time now (instead it's up to 17.50 Euros).

Basically, this is what you get when state companies are privatised in the name of economic liberalism: Bad service and high costs. 😠

Reply 29786 of 52361, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this PCI risers, but unfortunately the seller of HP T5720 canceled my order, because he sold it to someone else locally. So I will be holding on them until I find another one for some reasonable price...

PCI_risers.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 29787 of 52361, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was this on flea bay? If so, that person is dumb to cancel your order that you placed with your own money because someone wanted to buy it locally.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29789 of 52361, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

@dionb, yes, here in EE, the 22 and 150 eur limits are the same. (The flat tax of 13 eur must be NL specific) But that 22 eur is including shipping and the vat tax goes onto the full price, not on the item price. After 150 eur, the tariff tax goes onto the item price only.

(These rules should be the same in all EU countries. Only difference is the VAT tax percentage itself. Even tariffs are same, i believe)

The flat tax is not a flat tax, it is a S&H charge by the Dutch postal services for handling a customs declaration that they keep raising and raising - it hasn't been 13 Euros for a long time now (instead it's up to 17.50 Euros).

Basically, this is what you get when state companies are privatised in the name of economic liberalism: Bad service and high costs. 😠

Angry indeed - but it is still EUR 13 for regular post fortunately. The EUR 17.50 figure is for EMS courier shipments.

What irritates me is that there is simply no way as a private individual to sort out customs crap in advance so you don't hit this fee. I understand that it costs time and effort - and therefore money - to figure out what the hell is in random parcels that hit the post distribution system (and that it costs more for priority shipments that need to be done FAST). But this is 2019, there should be a way to sort things out in advance online so all that's left is a quick check to see if we're being honest...

Reply 29790 of 52361, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's the same here, 10€ flat fee on top of import VAT and customs, luckily it's the same for EMS, but any other couriers usually charge way more even.

the only way to get around it is to buy through a store that does the customs for you in advance, ebay international shipping program for example as far as I know... and I think amazon does this too?

Reply 29791 of 52361, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retropol wrote:

I like these pioneer slot drives. They look quite futuristic, compared to other boring looking drives of that time. I have had two of them, one DVD and one CD, and both of them failed after short use. I also noticed that loading mechanism leaves small scratches in the discs. But still, if I had one, I would put it in my machine 😀

Reply 29792 of 52361, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone had an eBay auction just get terminated before running out?

I was watching this camera that had only one day left to go with 0 bids. Last night it just went to "item unavailable". I guess they pulled it because it was threatening to fetch too low a price -- but you can only do that by saying you lost the item or it was damaged or something, right?

Reply 29793 of 52361, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@dionb, @imi, In Estonia, thankfully we are allowed to do customs work ourselves on customs portal. (And it's really user friendly) We can buy this service from postal company, but it's optional.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 29794 of 52361, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

@dionb, @imi, In Estonia, thankfully we are allowed to do customs work ourselves on customs portal. (And it's really user friendly) We can buy this service from postal company, but it's optional.

Estonia has their stuff sorted when it comes to digitalisation.

1982 to 2001

Reply 29795 of 52361, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote:

Has anyone had an eBay auction just get terminated before running out?

I was watching this camera that had only one day left to go with 0 bids. Last night it just went to "item unavailable". I guess they pulled it because it was threatening to fetch too low a price -- but you can only do that by saying you lost the item or it was damaged or something, right?

I think as long as there are 0 bids you can just cancel it.

I was watching a GUS with 50€ start price... and when I checked again today it got sold for 50€ through the suggest price function, should have placed a bid at least... 😵

Reply 29796 of 52361, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as there is no bid on it yet, you have the ability to just cancel it with more possible reasons than you have once there is a bid.
For example, the "Item is no longer available"-phrase becomes accessible then, which basically could mean anything from "sold it locally" to "don't wanna sell it anymore".

Reply 29797 of 52361, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Estonia has their stuff sorted when it comes to digitalisation.

Agreed, and not just that. EE has its shit together better than just about anywhere I've been, despite not (yet) being truly wealthy.

Reply 29798 of 52361, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CrFr wrote:
retropol wrote:

I like these pioneer slot drives. They look quite futuristic, compared to other boring looking drives of that time. I have had two of them, one DVD and one CD, and both of them failed after short use. I also noticed that loading mechanism leaves small scratches in the discs. But still, if I had one, I would put it in my machine 😀

I had one too, it was the SCSI version, really wish I had kept it 🙁

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 29799 of 52361, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Srandista wrote:
I bought this PCI risers, but unfortunately the seller of HP T5720 canceled my order, because he sold it to someone else locally […]
Show full quote

I bought this PCI risers, but unfortunately the seller of HP T5720 canceled my order, because he sold it to someone else locally. So I will be holding on them until I find another one for some reasonable price...

PCI_risers.jpg

Make sure to add capacitors to all available places. If they don't have the caps, then you can end up with very strange issues.. at least with sound cards. Anything from not working at all to very, very, very low volume or massive amounts of interference.

For TC2 and TC4 (pretty sure it is those two), you will want to mount the caps on the backside of the board or else it will interfere with the CPU heatsink.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2019-08-15, 13:49. Edited 3 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK