Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29800 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:

oh I saw these yesterday, are they system specific or do they work in any PCI slot?

Pretty sure they will work in any PCI slot. That being said, see my above reply about the T5720 and adding caps.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29801 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote:
henryVK wrote:

Has anyone had an eBay auction just get terminated before running out?

I was watching this camera that had only one day left to go with 0 bids. Last night it just went to "item unavailable". I guess they pulled it because it was threatening to fetch too low a price -- but you can only do that by saying you lost the item or it was damaged or something, right?

I think as long as there are 0 bids you can just cancel it.

I was watching a GUS with 50€ start price... and when I checked again today it got sold for 50€ through the suggest price function, should have placed a bid at least... 😵

Also watched this one 😉 Seems to be sold for 50€...

Reply 29802 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Imi, did you see that offer? :-p

This was the only sellers photo for a buy-at-once offer (30€). Already the CMS chips are worth that money. Box arrived today, some nice surprises were also in the box 😀 Box arrived as shown on the photo, box closed without further packaging material.

Photos of the content maybe later 😉

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
450.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29805 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Imi, did you see that offer? :-p […]
Show full quote

Imi, did you see that offer? :-p

This was the only sellers photo for a buy-at-once offer (30€). Already the CMS chips are worth that money. Box arrived today, some nice surprises were also in the box 😀 Box arrived as shown on the photo, box closed without further packaging material.

Photos of the content maybe later 😉

The attachment s-l1600.jpg is no longer available

if it was a buy at once I probably missed it 😉 I spent so much money lately, I've been trying to restrict myself a bit ^^
(but if I had seen it, I would have bought it in a heartbeat :p)

I still bid on quite a few scrap boxes lately though... I also got a CT1350B out of it... but not only does it not have CMS chips, it's also missing the slot bracket and even the FM chip 🙁
most of the cards I got lately are missing brackets... one scrap box I bought up with ALL of the chips removed from the cards... and I wouldn't have bid on it if the seller wouldn't also have listed all the chips seperately, won those for 1€ on top... that sure was worth all the effort of yanking them off the boards and bending all the pins, and of course they came crumpled up in a plastic bag 🙁
I tried fixing most of them... but one 286 that was there was beyond repair as one of the legs was so bent out of shape that it broke off as soon as I touched it.
spent a whole evening trying to sort them all out and assign all the ICs back to their respective cards, still haven't figured all of them out, as some of the EPROMs don't have specific labels, and don't really know which memory goes on which card except for one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eY7snn5NsM

I've somehow slid from actually collecting to trying to save as much hardware from scrappers as possible 🤣

after sorting:

hardware23_01.jpg
Filename
hardware23_01.jpg
File size
247.74 KiB
Views
File license
hardware23_02.jpg
Filename
hardware23_02.jpg
File size
191.39 KiB
Views
File license

there were some more VLB cards in there, not all of them pictured.

I also finally bought a desoldering station... that didn't go so well...
the seller is reassuring me time and time again, that everything worked just fine... but this is how it arrived:

ZD917_02.jpg
Filename
ZD917_02.jpg
File size
185.95 KiB
Views
File license

...I tried testing the vacuum at least before I fix that... and it seems kinda weak? should you actually be able to feel the vacuum at the tip?

Reply 29806 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, I also already hade some of these "sorting" lots where cards and ICs were sold in different auction. This really sucks. I also got 2 CT1350 without OPL from the "screwdriver-man" not long ago. I ordered 5 of these, shipping was really fast:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-5PCS-YM3812-DIP-24- … 872.m2749.l2649

Reply 29807 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have another CT1350B with a sop OPL soldered on the board, that one didn't get removed ^^
yeah I'm probably going to order some of those, some philips for the CMS... and maybe save up for a eprom programmer and make my own CMS chip ^^

Reply 29808 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Believe it or not - all inside that 30€ box 😀 Would have paid this for the CT1350 incl. CMS alone. The ET4000, the CGA and the Matrox were not visible on the photo.

IMG_1879.JPG
Filename
IMG_1879.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1880.JPG
Filename
IMG_1880.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1881.JPG
Filename
IMG_1881.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 29809 of 52700, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Believe it or not - all inside that 30€ box 😀 Would have paid this for the CT1350 incl. CMS alone. The ET4000, the CGA and the Matrox were not visible on the photo.

Where do you guys find these scrap piles?

Reply 29810 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote:

most of the cards I got lately are missing brackets...

If I see an interesting lot with missing brackets I always ask the seller at the beginning of the auction if he still has the brackets and can add them. Many times he has. Dont know why they take the effort to remove them if they think its scrap anyway...

Reply 29811 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

Search for the right keywords at Ebay 😉

Reply 29813 of 52700, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retropol wrote:

what are the cards with no plugs/connectors on the blades.

floppy and harddrive controllers

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 29814 of 52700, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

I don't buy scrap lots, but there's a large section on ebay.de for scrap lots: Schrott

Reply 29815 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

If I see an interesting lot with missing brackets I always ask the seller at the beginning of the auction if he still has the brackets and can add them. Many times he has. Dont know why they take the effort to remove them if they think its scrap anyway...

yeah I did that too after seeing your post about getting them... but I didn't even get a reply 😦
I guess they do that cause bare metal and PCBs are a different category of scrap to sell by the kg, hence why they just pry all heatsinks and brackets off the cards.

buying these scrap boxes is reaaaally hit and miss though, and a big gamble seeing how expensive they can get if people see worthy cards in there, I guess we're not the only ones doing this... sometimes cards that look nice on the pictures turn out to be completely busted... and sometimes the most filthy trashboxes reveal pristine gems after cleaning... I guess that's part of the thrill though ^^

Reply 29816 of 52700, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damned shame that there aren't similar lots on other eBay instances, and that the German sellers never ship outside the country...

Certainly like the thrill of completely unknown or untested stuff. Still, with my two full car loads last winter I can't really complain 😉

Reply 29817 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using a forwarding service from germany, hence why I usually pay exorbitant amounts of shipping 🙁 but so far this has been the best source of anything for me.

Reply 29818 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice score. every once in a while I see scrap lots in the USA that are worth getting... it really just depends on what the seller wants for the lots and what you can actually see from the normally horrible pictures.

I have gotten a very nice number of good/great cards from scrap lots.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29819 of 52700, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Damned shame that there aren't similar lots on other eBay instances, and that the German sellers never ship outside the country...

Certainly like the thrill of completely unknown or untested stuff. Still, with my two full car loads last winter I can't really complain 😉

It is very typical at the countries with big market (uk, usa, germany, etc).

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene