VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30040 of 52721, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh the second one... It's a Chieftec Dragon, isn't it? But the first one, I have no idea 😦

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 30041 of 52721, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:
derSammler wrote:

That's because of drying-out ball bearings. None of these drives were made to be used 20 or more years later.

It's not only that, but most of these drives were not that quiet even with newish.

When new, they may not have quite the same high pitched harmonics, but they still were not at all quiet.

<OT> That's what I remember as well from the Athlon / PII / PIII era. Hard drives were very loud and not in a nice way. Combined with loud PSU and CPU fans, it made you want to wear earplugs at times. That was before they started marketing cases geared towards noise insulation (i.e. Antec Sonata). </OT>

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 30042 of 52721, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a 38mm thicc vantec tornado 80mm fan on a swiftech MCX462 on my athlon XP as my daily driver... PCs were supposed to be loud back then ^^
I've been looking everywhere for that swiftech, I remember specifically keeping it but I can't seem to find it 😒

Reply 30043 of 52721, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oooooh it arrived... look what I found 😀 something special to add to my growing drive-collection

hardware29_01.jpg
Filename
hardware29_01.jpg
File size
101.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
hardware29_02.jpg
Filename
hardware29_02.jpg
File size
103.82 KiB
Views
File license

manufactured 1988 ...it looks pristine 😀

...unfortnately I don't think I have any card with LMSI interface to try it out... also, and excuse my ignorance, how do you put a something in this drive, does it use special caddies or anything like that? ^^ I can barely find info on how to use it... it is a cd-rom drive right, does it use special media? 😕

Reply 30044 of 52721, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a very nice one, had an internal version of the drive in 1997 (lost it back then, sadly). It uses a very special caddy. You insert the disc into the caddy, the caddy into the drive until you hear a click, and finally you remove the caddy again. The disc stays in the drive then. Inserting the empty caddy will give you the disc back. If you did not get the caddy with it, it's only a nice-looking doorstop, unfortunately.

Reply 30045 of 52721, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks, I figured something like that, do you happen to have an image for such a caddy anywhere, what they look like?
I can find several pictures of drives but not of the caddy used.

if all else fails I could try to make one myself, I do have a 3D printer.

Reply 30048 of 52721, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thank you!

I totally feel like I've seen that before somewhere, in a video maybe, but not as a caddy but just as a CD case 😕

edit:
🤣 thank you so much, I just hopped on ebay and searched for "CD case" and found an auction right there immediately with 8 minutes left, 12 of them for 5€

Last edited by imi on 2019-09-02, 17:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30049 of 52721, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, this one is a CD case. But the caddy back then was almost the same. Maybe some company re-used the patent.

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-09-02, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30050 of 52721, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh yeah, well I'll try it anyways 😀

and if it doesn't work, I'll have a bunch of nice cd cases ^^

edit:
ok I seem to now have found a picture of an actual caddy, that does look quite different though:
http://www.freetimeweb.nl/home/picture/sub/el … i_180_front.jpg

it looks like something I could make though if I had the exact measurements.

Reply 30051 of 52721, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:
oh yeah, well I'll try it anyways :) […]
Show full quote

oh yeah, well I'll try it anyways 😀

and if it doesn't work, I'll have a bunch of nice cd cases ^^

edit:
ok I seem to now have found a picture of an actual caddy, that does look quite different though:

it looks like something I could make though if I had the exact measurements.

Errrr...that's for the pictured Philips CDi players. There's nothing to suggest it is the model of caddy that is needed for your drive.

Reply 30052 of 52721, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote:

edit:

Yes, that's the exact caddy. Like I wrote, the blue parts inside the caddy that I've posted are different. Obviously, since the original caddy has that part to stay in the drive. You could try to 3d-print that "cradle" and use the outer shell from the CD case.

Reply 30053 of 52721, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Errrr...that's for the pictured Philips CDi players. There's nothing to suggest it is the model of caddy that is needed for your drive.

if you look at the plastic "door" piece in the drive it looks exactly the same, and also has those same "notches" on one side of the drive and caddy, and seeing how LMSI units are basically philips drives it's safe to assume imho it is the correct one.

Reply 30054 of 52721, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote:
Deksor wrote:

So yesterday I was in Lille's flea market. Came back with a lot of good stuff 😁

Your flea markets make me green with envy!

Well this one is internationally known because it is so big (or at least I think it is because I heared many foreign languages when I was walking around). People from Spain, Netherlands, England, Germany .... And many more !

Anyways I, I'm quite happy with all my finds, now I have to get the floppy disks lot 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 30055 of 52721, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this today. An EeeBox E202. 2GHz Atom N270 wih 1gig of ram and 80gig of storage. Always wanted a mini pc. At $40 it was a good deal.. Comes with XP Home. Didn't have an antenna but have spare pci wifi cards I take one off of and I need to get a DVI to VGA converter which I'm just ordering. Comes with 2 series 2 usb front and 2 at the back 0f It. 1 RJ45 connector at back and SD card slot up front.

It will suite my modest needs just fine. Needed something small and intrusive in my computer hobby area for quick internet searching and odd download. It'llmost likely set under the 10/100 4 port switch. Windows XP will go. And something more modern will be installed. Probably some form of Linux, Devuan maybe. All the hardware is 2008 era and pretty damn standard. It has a restore partition in case I want to revert it back to original config. If I can I'll upgrade the ram to at least 2gigs as that is a sweet spot for using XFCE4. If needed I have an external usb DVD writer and external 3.5" floppy drive.

20190903_124612[1].jpg
Filename
20190903_124612[1].jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-09-03, 02:08. Edited 2 times in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30056 of 52721, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2MHz? Come on, a XT machine is faster than that 🤣

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 30057 of 52721, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cheeky lit'l monkey. Corrected 😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30058 of 52721, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today, I received 50 anti-static bags in the post.

For all the expansion cards I seem to be collecting that don't come with antistatic bags!

I tend to find things survive much better in antistatic bags because there is less risk of parts damaging each other, simply because the bags are tough and prevent point impacts on components that could damage them.

Reply 30059 of 52721, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote:

oooooh it arrived... look what I found 😀 something special to add to my growing drive-collection

imi wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

if you look at the plastic "door" piece in the drive it looks exactly the same, and also has those same "notches" on one side of the drive and caddy, and seeing how LMSI units are basically philips drives it's safe to assume imho it is the correct one.

Here's a picture of the drives and caddy...

LMSI Drives.png
Filename
LMSI Drives.png
File size
40.75 KiB
Views
File license

These drives are the second CDROM drive Philips produced. You see here the CM201 internal model on top of the CM121 external model. On top of the CM201 is the strange caddy-like device you had to use to place a CD in the drive. It was not a real caddy because a part of the device would come back out of the drive after the CD was loaded. The drives were faster than the CM110 tho. The external version was with a SCSI interface also available as the DEC RRD40.

...and a copy of the manual for the DEC version (has some better representations of the caddy / operation)

Filename
DEC rrd40.pdf
File size
897.75 KiB
Downloads
83 downloads
File license