Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30460 of 52719, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vutt wrote:
While I have Serdaco X3MB which should be Sound Canvas replica I felt I need little-bit more bling and alternate GM sound. […]
Show full quote

While I have Serdaco X3MB which should be Sound Canvas replica I felt I need little-bit more bling and alternate GM sound.

So I bought this one off the ebay.

mu50.jpg

"Thanks" Hermes/DPD for nice delivery across Europe. 😒 I managed to straighten them up. Then checked for short with multimeter and plugged into wall (yeah slightly suicidal I know).
It worked, but I measured over 17V on output plug. Well it should be 12V. No way I'm going to put that into my precious vintage midi module.
So I found modern replacement power brick with similar output and it worked. So I'm happy.

To my amazement Monkey Island in Roland mode and MU50 in "C/M" not "XD" mode sounded quite OK. I need to test little more with various games. This C/M mode might work like limited MT-32 replacement.

17V seems still alright keeping in mind that the voltage will drop severely when on load.
9V power supplies also show well beyond 12V when not under load. This is pretty normal. Albeit arguably, 17V is already a tad high. 15V would be totally fine as it will surely drop down to the vicinity of 12V when under load.

Regarding Hermes. Domestically and internationally I had very good experience with Hermes.

Reply 30461 of 52719, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You, unloaded transformer shows much higher voltage on the output. The voltage rating shown is only with the load shown too, i.e if it is 12V 1A it gives 12V when loaded with 1A, and say 14V when only 0.5A and 10V if 1.5A. Overall it won't matter so much because the 7805 in the device will take anything from 7.5V to 20V+.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 30462 of 52719, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I’m using 12V 6A (total overkill) power brick from one of those RGB led strip kits. It gives me 12,89V without load. I guess it’s down to circuit design then.

Anyways I managed to brake one of the pins on original adapter. Case looks glued so no easy repair. Also using modern adapter feels little bit safer.

Reply 30463 of 52719, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are regulated power supplies, the stuff these old things come with are nothing but transformer and rectifier, no regulating elements there. All modern power supplies are switch mode things where regulation is essential part of the design (though it is possible to make a switcher without regulation, which will behave mostly same way as normal vanilla 50/60Hz transformer design).

Reply 30464 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You win some, you lose some:
full.jpg

With an enter that big I thought this would be an Alps-based board. Instead it's dome-over-slider. Still, pristine NOS condition and pretty decent dye-sub PBT caps could have been worse.
full.jpg

Shame about the oddball vertical bar cap mounts, so no way to use the caps on other boards.

Reply 30465 of 52719, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
20190929_114911[1].jpg
Filename
20190929_114911[1].jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The radio card is for Dos(TSR) and Windows 3.1 with software and driver disk. Just need to track down a suitable antenna/arial for it. The game card was one of those "just because" purchases. Both are ISA 8-bit cards.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30466 of 52719, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually have two of these radio cards, but none of the software. It would be really great if you could upload the software somewhere, I'll be able to mirror it on my server on a permanent basis too ~

Reply 30467 of 52719, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

I actually have two of these radio cards, but none of the software. It would be really great if you could upload the software somewhere, I'll be able to mirror it on my server on a permanent basis too ~

Looks like the disk has errors on it. There was a note on it he might be useful to someone. I'll try to carry out some recovery options though and see what happens. Fingers crossed. PM me were you'd like the files to go if I do manage to retrieve the software.

20190929_153438[1].jpg
Filename
20190929_153438[1].jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
20190929_151738[1].jpg
Filename
20190929_151738[1].jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 30468 of 52719, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:

Did a bit of searching and it looks like this card was also sold under the Reveal brand.

Attached is the driver/software disk. Hopefully this is the correct one.

Filename
revealfm.zip
File size
305.28 KiB
Downloads
54 downloads
File license

Same version as above according to a file inside the zip, but this one has the DOS tuner program included.
Readme says is works for Windows 3.1 - ME

Filename
Revealra300.zip
File size
402.95 KiB
Downloads
50 downloads
File license
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2019-09-29, 04:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30469 of 52719, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found my old vcfed post from 2012 asking for the manual. Looks like Agent Orenge did send them but have no idea were they are. I'll have to do some digging. http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?302 … t-FM-radio-card

Thanks cyclone3d they look like the Windows 95 files. There was the original win3.1/Dos disk as well with the reveal package from what I understand

pmr140.zip the radeo card driver for OS/2 is at this site http://home.clara.net/orac/os2.htm#pmradio and I've attached it here:

Filename
pmr140.zip
File size
117.79 KiB
Downloads
64 downloads
File license

Reply 30470 of 52719, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really my thing now tbh, and its been so long since I owned any S7 kit I wouldn't know what's what, even if I'd been actively looking, so when I got the offer of this bundle from an ex-colleague who was clearing out stuff I figured I might take a small punt on it. Picked up today in exchange for little cash, but quite a few (too many) beers 😲 😕 😀

S7_Stuff.jpg
Filename
S7_Stuff.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
DFI G586IPV_C.jpg
Filename
DFI G586IPV_C.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license

DFI G586IPV rev. C with 32 meg and max cache ob - seems OK with 233MHz MMX cpus + has SDRAM slot!

ECS P5HX-B v1.0.jpg
Filename
ECS P5HX-B v1.0.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license

ECS P5HX-B v1.0 with 64 meg and max cache (half ob and half with ECS-branded COAST - lacks split-plane so limited with cpus and RTC is shot, although socketed

S7_PROCSnSINKS.jpg
Filename
S7_PROCSnSINKS.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

Selection of cpus and heatsinks - P150, P166 and P233 MMX

Absolutely no idea what I might do with it all, but it seems decent enough.

Reply 30471 of 52719, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

Thanks cyclone3d they look like the Windows 95 files. There was the original win3.1/Dos disk as well with the reveal package from what I understand

No problem.

Did a bit more digging and found a .zip that has the DOS tuner program. The driver version is the same, 1.1, according to the file inside the .zip.
The user created readme says it works for Windows 3.1 - ME.

I have attached it to me previous reply.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30472 of 52719, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Not really my thing now tbh, and its been so long since I owned any S7 kit I wouldn't know what's what, even if I'd been actively looking, so when I got the offer of this bundle from an ex-colleague who was clearing out stuff I figured I might take a small punt on it. Picked up today in exchange for little cash, but quite a few (too many) beers 😲 😕 😀

Wow that white DIN connector looks good 😎

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 30473 of 52719, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
No problem. […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote:

No problem.

Did a bit more digging and found a .zip that has the DOS tuner program. The driver version is the same, 1.1, according to the file inside the .zip.

Awesome. Thanks again.

Reply 30474 of 52719, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
No problem. […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote:

No problem.

Awesome. Thanks again.

Here's the Radiotrack floppy image, it has the 1.2 player for DOS and the 1.1 for Windows, it also comes with a TSR to turn the radio on and off with a key combo:

Filename
radiotrack.zip
File size
831.76 KiB
Downloads
69 downloads
File license

And the french manual:

radiofm1.jpg
Filename
radiofm1.jpg
File size
164.13 KiB
Views
File license
radiofm2.jpg
Filename
radiofm2.jpg
File size
174.52 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 30475 of 52719, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mkEKXHZl.jpg

A CT1350b, finally! Works perfectly... just one question though, if I try to use 2 ISA sound cards (this one is set to 220, IRQ 5) it locks up at post. The other card is an Aztech from a Packard Bell. That card is PnP and has no jumpers on the board.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 30476 of 52719, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just one question though, if I try to use 2 ISA sound cards (this one is set to 220, IRQ 5) it locks up at post. The other card is an Aztech from a Packard Bell. That card is PnP and has no jumpers on the board.

Go into the PnP configuration in the BIOS and make sure the ressources used by the Sound Blaster are reserved so that they are not assigned to PnP cards. The PnP BIOS does not know about ressources used by legacy cards. You have to tell it.

Reply 30477 of 52719, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

just one question though, if I try to use 2 ISA sound cards (this one is set to 220, IRQ 5) it locks up at post. The other card is an Aztech from a Packard Bell. That card is PnP and has no jumpers on the board.

Go into the PnP configuration in the BIOS and make sure the ressources used by the Sound Blaster are reserved so that they are not assigned to PnP cards. The PnP BIOS does not know about ressources used by legacy cards. You have to tell it.

The Dell BIOS has no options for PnP resources or setting any kind of IRQ resources manually.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 30478 of 52719, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

Normal ATX case, normal ATX power supply, no special pinout on the ATX connector.

Thanks for letting me know.

Reply 30479 of 52719, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

Maybe it's a non-MMX Pentium then? Would make more sense...

Some of the classic Pentiums were released in plastic packaging similar to the MMX. I have a non-MMX P166 in my stash, gotta find it sometime.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB