VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30520 of 52723, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

MMX runs fine with 3,3v. Just use a good cooler to make sure it will not get too hot.

Thanks. Do I understand correctly that the purpose of the two jumpers in the VRM socket is to directly bridge Vin pins (3.3) to Vout?

Reply 30521 of 52723, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Look what I found hanging on the "wall of crap" at one of my usual haunts today:

CameraZOOM-20190930165952856.jpg

A bag of retro CPUs! Whaaaaaat?! Of course I bought it.

is this a joke??? just like that, on the store 3.99$?

Reply 30522 of 52723, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Turbo -> wrote:

I got two floppy units, but are a little different from others floppy units: Sony MP-FP53W.

Is that a 3 inch diskette drive from an electric typewriter or is it a normal 3.5" drive? I love the look of that thing but I have my doubts that it's PC compatible. Would be perfect in an XT.
Are both drives the same?

Reply 30523 of 52723, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Is that a 3 inch diskette drive from an electric typewriter or is it a normal 3.5" drive? I love the look of that thing but I have my doubts that it's PC compatible. Would be perfect in an XT.

Both are the same. They look the same size, when I compared them with 3,5" drives. I only inserted diskette in it and took it out, just to see if it can take it 😀 It does. However I didn't try them yet in a working computer.

Reply 30524 of 52723, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote:
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Both are the same. They look the same size, when I compared them with 3,5" drives. I only inserted diskette in it and took it out, just to see if it can take it 😀 It does. However I didn't try them yet in a working computer.

I found a really nice original manual for them here: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sony/floppy/9-97 … tions_Sep85.pdf

Looks like ordinary 34 pin MFM 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 30526 of 52723, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I accidently started looking at motherboards again, and accidently saved a few to my watch list, and accidently set a reminder so that I remembered to bid, and accidently placed a bid, and then accidently won it 😒

It's an ASUS P3V133. It comes with a slocket with a 800MHz / 133FSB 1.7volt CPU, 384mb of RAM and a mystery graphics card. I only put a bid of £21 or so, but got it for £18 + £4 or so for delivery.

gtHEVUrh.jpg

dSFSkZih.jpg
It turns out it's a TNT2 M64 32mb (seems like an odd combination... perhaps it's just marketing reasons!)

I was regretting this purchase until I found my 1GHz coppermine CPU which should maybe work in the slocket. Same FSB, same volts... I also dug out my big-ass cooler and sound blaster live. I can feel my fastest ever W98 PC coming along!

fZAcda6h.jpg

edit - for once something has gone to plan! The 1000MHz was picked up straight away after setting the jumpers. My cooler will need a smaller fan as it touches the RAM module when only using the right hand slot.

It also has SECC to SECC2 mounting adapters which I didn't know existed and you'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands before I let them go.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 30527 of 52723, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mpe wrote:

Good stuff!

I have an almost exactly the same [AMD K5] chip in my collection.

I believe this is the early version which had branch prediction unit disabled. So it performs a bit worse than K5 branded chips. But still should be a little faster than Intel P75.

Interesting... I don't particularly need a 75MHz CPU to be "fast", but is there a util (a la Cyrix) that enables the branch predictor? Any issues doing so? I'm gonna have to add a few results from this beastie to my benchmarking sheet.

retropol wrote:
xjas wrote:

Look what I found hanging on the "wall of crap" at one of my usual haunts today:

CameraZOOM-20190930165952856.jpg

A bag of retro CPUs! Whaaaaaat?! Of course I bought it.

is this a joke??? just like that, on the store 3.99$?

I know, I couldn't believe it either. That's why I took the picture. I've seen the odd graphics card or sticks of RAM hanging there, but never a bag of CPUs, and never anything as rare as these ones are these days.

I did swing by again this afternoon for a better 'dig', but I didn't see anything related or anything else interesting. Was hoping for some other choice goods from the same donor.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30528 of 52723, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saved from the crusher today.

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_222107.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191001_222107.jpg
    File size
    709.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20191001_222145.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191001_222145.jpg
    File size
    656.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20191001_225807.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191001_225807.jpg
    File size
    773.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20191001_230527.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191001_230527.jpg
    File size
    765.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20191001_230535.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191001_230535.jpg
    File size
    861.07 KiB
    Views
    File license

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30531 of 52723, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:
So I accidently started looking at motherboards again, and accidently saved a few to my watch list, and accidently set a reminde […]
Show full quote

So I accidently started looking at motherboards again, and accidently saved a few to my watch list, and accidently set a reminder so that I remembered to bid, and accidently placed a bid, and then accidently won it 😒

I was regretting this purchase until I found my 1GHz coppermine CPU which should maybe work in the slocket. Same FSB, same volts... I also dug out my big-ass cooler and sound blaster live. I can feel my fastest ever W98 PC coming along!
edit - for once something has gone to plan! The 1000MHz was picked up straight away after setting the jumpers. My cooler will need a smaller fan as it touches the RAM module when only using the right hand slot.

It also has SECC to SECC2 mounting adapters which I didn't know existed and you'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands before I let them go.

So a looooong line of accidents resulting in good stuff! 😎

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 30533 of 52723, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last weekend I managed to get my first SS7 board with K6-2 333 and ATI Rage PCI + as a bonus combined Slot1/S370 board with Celeron 400 and Voodoo Velocity.

pc1_zpsukbcalkz.jpg

pc2_zpsobjpjmxk.jpg

Reply 30534 of 52723, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wolfus wrote:
Last weekend I managed to get my first SS7 board with K6-2 333 and ATI Rage PCI + as a bonus combined Slot1/S370 board with Cele […]
Show full quote

Last weekend I managed to get my first SS7 board with K6-2 333 and ATI Rage PCI + as a bonus combined Slot1/S370 board with Celeron 400 and Voodoo Velocity.

pc2_zpsobjpjmxk.jpg

Looks like PC Partner MVP3BS7-954. If the motherboard has a 2 Mbit BIOS chip, it could be flashed with the latest BIOS for full AMD K6Plus support.

Reply 30535 of 52723, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for info! I found there are two types of BIOS, but I don't know how to identify which one is on my board. Partnumber is the same for both types...

Reply 30536 of 52723, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wolfus wrote:

Thanks for info! I found there are two types of BIOS, but I don't know how to identify which one is on my board. Partnumber is the same for both types...

Try running UNIFLASH its good at identifying bios chips.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30537 of 52723, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Try running UNIFLASH its good at identifying bios chips.

Interesting, never used Uniflash, thanks.
BTW, I've found manual. There are factory-set jumpers identifying type of installed BIOS. I should have 2mbit 😀

Reply 30539 of 52723, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

The attachment xta.jpg is no longer available
The attachment xtb.jpg is no longer available

I think I have one of those systems, give me a shout if you need the BIOS.

Thanks, I would be really happy about this!!! I will let you know when I am ready to test...

Received my XT-Boards today. All was packed in a box without any protection (together with some harddisks and a complete 286-PC - photos later). Strange, all are missing the RAMs and several other components. I already picked one which seems to be complete except the RAM, populated with a 8088, CGA and Supersoft-ROM and it seems to be running (except the RAM of course...). I will keep only 1-2 of these boards...
So Cyrix200+, I would be very happy about a ROM-image. Think I need it to use the 8-bit IDE and floppy interface.

IMG_5333.JPG
Filename
IMG_5333.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_5334.JPG
Filename
IMG_5334.JPG
File size