VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31161 of 52747, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Top one is a 7805 (ground in the middle) and lower one is a 7905 (ground at a side).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 31162 of 52747, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
So yesterday I bought some stuff from a retired police officer of the Chicago PD. Apparently she was also the departments I.T. p […]
Show full quote

So yesterday I bought some stuff from a retired police officer of the Chicago PD. Apparently she was also the departments I.T. person, then when she left the force she started a computer shop, then when she closed that down in the 2000s she shoved everything she had left into a garage. Now shes moving several states and trying to thin out the garage but she can't bring herself to throw anything away. So for $25 I got:

* A Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 with a 500MHZ Pentium, 192MB RAM, and 3 HDD Caddies (2 20GB's, and a 12GB installed), 3 extra battery packs, 3 chargers, and a bunch of related cables. Apparently this came out of a legit squad car. One of the caddies had a police officers business card duck taped to it. It has a NeoMagic 256AV and a sound chip thats supposedly DOS compatible. I need to install an OS onto it and the CMOS battery is dead but its otherwise working.
* An MSI U100 Netbook with an Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHZ, 1GB of RAM, and a GMA950 video card all inside an MSI branded carrying case. I will probably be using this for work related PDF viewing.
* A MacBook 5300CE. Apparently this laptop was the first laptop to get negative publicity for battery fires. Unable to test due to lack of suitable powercord. But it looks like its in good condition.
* A HP Pavillion DV2100 CTO. Dual Core Mobile Sempron @ 1.8GHz, 1.5GB of RAM, 160GB HDD, GeForce Go 6150. It has a weird issue, it powers up as soon as its plugged in, and you have to hold in the power button for 5 seconds 3 seperate times before it boots. Works like a charm the 3rd time every time. Weird.
* A HP Pavillion TX1000 Convertible. Dual Core AMD Turion @ 2GHZ, 2GB of RAM on a single DIMM, 160GB HDD, GeForce Go 6150. It also has a weird issue, it seems to only boot if the CD drive is ejected. The CD drive otherwise works normally thereafter. Not going to pretend understand that at all. This should be fun with SCUMMVM.

The two HP's are both interesting because they have the Go 6150, one of the very few IGPs that is actually competent at anything. Its half a GeForce 6200. It has all the rendering features and support that a normal dedicated NVIDIA Geforce 6000 series card would have. My first real computer had one of these and I played games on that for years as a kid. Its really quite capable, I would say its on par performance wise with the mid tier GeForce FX series or the ATI 9000 series cards.

Aside from that I also got 4 printer paper boxes full of assorted cables and a few random coolers thrown in, and a bunch of early 2000's computer books. Among the noteworthy toss-ins are:

* 1x Pentium II Proccessor
* 2x Pentium active coolers.
* 1 BFG GeForce 7900GS PCIe
* A cool 90s Walkman with DSP.

The best part: She texted me saying she found more stuff, and I'll have the opportunity to go get it. I'm pretty sure this lady is just glad she found someone else young enough and with time enough to appreciate this crap.

Sooo.... I drove through a white out level snow storm to go and retrieve the rest of them before she left state (BTW, if anyones wondering a 2WD 95 Ford Ranger CAN IN FACT make it up a 50 degree iced incline, with only minimal loss of tread from burning the crap out of the drive tires). She lives in what most be the most hilly, twisty, multiple inclines set of roads ever constructed in the heartland. Seriously, these roads remind me of Canyon Drift from NFS Carbon, except way more rapid inclination changes water/forest on all sides ("Lake Shore drive" go figure), and much more narrow. That was probably one of the more stupid things I've done considering the number of times I narrowly got unstuck (and I may have taken out the ground wire for a telephone pole with the edge of my truck bed getting out of a ditch. The street lights didnt go out and I wasn't exactly stopping to check. It had two ground wires so w/e) and or nearly spun out.

Anywho, for my efforts, the universe saw fit to reward me with the following:

* An Aluminum Body PowerMac G4 of unknown specifications. It powers up but constantly freezes loading the OS (after the white apple screen part) so the next move is reinstalling OS X onto it. I assume the hardware is fine. If there is a hardware issue I would assume it to be the HDD.
* An Toshbia Satellite L745D with an i3 of some sort, 4GB of RAM, and a 640GB HDD. The laptops dead, power lights but no display despite my best efforts. Hard drive is also mechanically failed as you can hear it clicking when its in another machine and causes a boot error. My guess is the laptop took a pretty serious drop. Easy come easy go, but I got 4GB of DDR3 in SO-DIMM format so thats nice and I can always replace the mobo if I'm so inclined.
* An Compaq Presario 1920 which should have a Pentium II 300 in it. I can't test it yet as the charger is out somewhere in the first set of crap I got from this lady and I need to go dig it out. Also apparently Compaq that using rubber for the palmrest was a good idea, its turned into that rubbery goo crap. No clue how I'm going to fix that as right now its straight up hazmat level. I've thrown cloth tape over the effected palm rest areas (tracing button holes out with an X-Acto knive). This thing also has a docking station. I suspect it will work, its built like a tank.
* An Lenovo Thinkpad X200 Tablet convertible with a 1.60GHZ Penyryn Core2Duo SL9300, 4GB of DDR3, and a 320GB HDD. Now this is the best find out of this lot IMO. This is becoming my new go bag laptop. With Win7 and a good adblocker setup Core2 is still just fast enough for basic web browsing + DOS emulation and office work. It has a 12-cell extended life battery that seems to be taking a charge OK upon initial inspection. I'm letting it charge overnight to see how well it keeps it.

There was also:

* Another box of cables.
* An PCI GeForce 5500 by BFG
* An AGP GeForce 5200LE of unknown make.
* A boxed 2GB G.Skill DDR2 kit (of a slow speed)

So that brings the total haul of stuff for $25 to:

* 11 Big computer related books.
* 9 Laptops (6 working, 2 untested as of yet, 1 bad)
* 3 Video cards (7900GS PCIe, FX5500 PCI, FX5200LE AGP)
* 4 boxes of cables
* 4 CPU coolers
* A Walkman Cassette Player

This is the kind of haul we retro enthusiasts dream of. Now if you'll excuse among this excitement I appear to have forgotten to eat today. To the ramen cabinet....

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 31163 of 52747, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

[...]

This is the kind of haul we retro enthusiasts dream of. Now if you'll excuse among this excitement I appear to have forgotten to eat today. To the ramen cabinet....

I recall you were rather envious of some big hauls some of us had almost a year ago, and depressed you never found anything like it. Now you have and it's our turn to be envious. Enjoy 😀

Edit: and agreed, that x200 really is the gem in here. I have an x220 I still use as daily driver (despite the plastic casing desintegrating around it) because it has a real keyboard, and if the web browser doensn't cause 100% CPU it can still do hours on a charge. Note that there are still batteries available for the X200 if the 12-cell is a dud. Do be realistic re expectations, my i3 is dragged to 100% by web browsing, that Penryn will be too, which will make it unresponsive, hot and will kill battery life. Stay clear of Facebook, eBay and other such CPU-overloader sites with it.

Reply 31164 of 52747, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I daily drive an Inspiron 6400. With adblocking and script blocking ebay and facebook are doable - I've usually got them both open in 2 different browsers most of the day. Most the the time any lag is caused by our shit internet.

Reply 31165 of 52747, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another Sound Blaster 16.. What can I say, I'm a sucker for collecting different models of these cards (even though they are pretty bad cards..)

Creative-Sound-Blaster-16-Vibra-CT2960-B.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31166 of 52747, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Another Sound Blaster 16.. What can I say, I'm a sucker for collecting different models of these cards (even though they are pretty bad cards..)

I almost got a CT3900 (the original AWE32) for a mere 10€ yesterday. Dirty, dusty, bent pins on the IDE header, and the seller obviously didn't know its value. The listing had been viewed less than 10 times when I wrote him, but someone was quicker than me. 😐 So if someone on this forum got this card (on eBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany), consider yourself lucky 😉

My retro computers

Reply 31167 of 52747, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

Meh, to each his own - I'm flogging a CT1740 locally this evening. I already have a CT1750MCD, and two noisy first-gen SB16s is more than I need in any event. Need the cash too - had a bit of luck last week, which, if postal services are doing their job, I should be posting here this evening - but it did cost me 😉

Reply 31168 of 52747, by X3NoMoRPH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

photo-2019-11-04-11-40-28.jpg

Caja externa Conceptronic con disco duro de 80 gigas
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB AGP
AMD Phenom x3 8750 2.4GHZ/1.5MB Triple Core
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.800 MHz - 1 + 1 MiB caché
DVD RW BenQ
CD's y DVD's vírgenes

Reply 31169 of 52747, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
X3NoMoRPH wrote:
https://i.ibb.co/7N1Yjkt/photo-2019-11-04-11-40-28.jpg […]
Show full quote

photo-2019-11-04-11-40-28.jpg

I guess this is how it looks like if you convert an actively cooled GPU into a passively cooled one and plan to use it in a case that has no airflow, whatsoever... 😁

Reply 31170 of 52747, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just bought a Macintosh that is still working fine. I just need to get a computer screen for it tho... Because mine seems to be too new for that weird switch it has on the back side.

Hrub8cJ.jpg

YHIxCGb.jpg

tzwAsNk.jpg

It worked where I retrieved this from, so I think it is the monitor. I also bought a membrane IBM keyboard. Is amazing the quality of these things, the wires are long and sturdy.

Xj1L4zt.jpg

It has some french layout I think, the one that sold these said these were from Europe.

Sorry for the quality of the images, my phone sucks.

Reply 31171 of 52747, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

Top one is a 7805 (ground in the middle) and lower one is a 7905 (ground at a side).

Thanks Tiido! Sounds reasonable as the 7905 on the bottom was the one that was still installed as I got the card. So I will order a 7805 and test...

IMG_0185r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0185r.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31172 of 52747, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Royal Mail from England.

2 NEW never used IBM Blue lighting’s

Attachments

Reply 31173 of 52747, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

* An Aluminum Body PowerMac G4 of unknown specifications. It powers up but constantly freezes loading the OS (after the white apple screen part) so the next move is reinstalling OS X onto it. I assume the hardware is fine. If there is a hardware issue I would assume it to be the HDD.

Could be PSU capacitors. Some G4 Macs were manufactured right in the "bad cap" era.

CapitanOdessa wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/Xj1L4zt.jpg […]
Show full quote

Xj1L4zt.jpg

It has some french layout I think, the one that sold these said these were from Europe.

French (and Belgian) layout would be AZERTY, not QWERTY.

Reply 31175 of 52747, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to a local second hand store for the first time and found this copy of FS98 (2002 reissue) on the shelves for 1 Euro:

IMG_0940.jpg
Filename
IMG_0940.jpg
File size
159.88 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0941.jpg
Filename
IMG_0941.jpg
File size
160.54 KiB
Views
File license

The CD-ROM is scratch-free, which is exceptional in the Netherlands (usually they are scratched to hell).

If I owned a PowerMac G3 I could also have bought full versions of Quark Xpress and Adobe Illustrator...

Reply 31176 of 52747, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what I received today. An ASUS K8V-X SE Socket 754 mainboard for my future AMD Sempron El Cheapo Build, 1x 1GB Geil DDR400 DIMM, 4x 512MB GeIL DDR400 DIMMs and a Leadtek WInfast A6200TD 128MB 128bit GeForce 6200 card which have a problem:If I plug it on any computer, the PC cannot power on when I connect the auxiliary power cable. What it can be problem? The person sustains that is working and repaired. Maybe I replace the PSU with a 500W one?

Attachments

• PIC_0012.JPG
    Filename
    PIC_0012.JPG
    File size
    455.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31177 of 52747, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup. A bigger PSU would suffice. Some Pentium 4/Athlon 64 era boards required at least 450W PSUs.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31178 of 52747, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Tiido wrote:

Thanks Tiido! Sounds reasonable as the 7905 on the bottom was the one that was still installed as I got the card. So I will order a 7805 and test...

IMG_0185r.jpg

Tiido...! 😀 You are the master! Many thanks for your advice!! I have found a 7805 on a worthless PCI-Soundcard and transferred it to the Terratec. Now I hear music.

However, there are some intruments (maybe the half) missing. I tested Duke3d and Warcraft2. Think there is still an issue with the ROM....

Reply 31179 of 52747, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's certainly an improvement ! You'll want to do a needle test on the chips. Take a needle and skate it strongly across the pins to find any bad solders. Chances are some pin is not connecting right and causes the problem.
Are the missing sounds always the same and are any sounds outright wrong or random ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜