Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31640 of 52744, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just some Abit motherboard:
PS: how do I add pictures larger than 2mb?

Attachments

Reply 31643 of 52744, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
arncht wrote:

is not an atx case with an at backplate?

It is a "real" Baby AT case. Here's another one of the sellers photos (the package hasn't arrived yet):

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
282.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It even comes with the original plastic bag with standoffs and screws and the power cord. 😀

My retro computers

Reply 31645 of 52744, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@gex85 unfortunately you're right, it's a pretty bad case. I have one with a different face plate but same insides. It's horrible, it even broke my only super socket 7 motherboard by bending it 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 31646 of 52744, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This poor fella was on a death transport to the crusher, but I liberated it for just mere few buck (yes, Spielberg should make a movie about me "HanJammer's list" seems like a fitting title).
It works just fine! Poor config (486SX-33, 4MB RAM, cache was apparently removed, 200MB Seagate HDD) but I will upgrade it to full spec (I have parts laying around just waiting for a project like this) and I think I will find a new home for it without problems.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 31647 of 52744, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice little machine, looks like a Gateway 2000 case ripoff. The VLB slots will come in handy.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 31648 of 52744, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cache was apparently removed

Not necessarily... on low end systems cache wasn't included in the first place - it was an upgrade option.

I see it supports full 1MB of cache... that's really nice 😀

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 31649 of 52744, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote:

This poor fella was on a death transport to the crusher, but I liberated it for just mere few buck (yes, Spielberg should make a movie about me "HanJammer's list" seems like a fitting title).
It works just fine! Poor config (486SX-33, 4MB RAM, cache was apparently removed, 200MB Seagate HDD) but I will upgrade it to full spec (I have parts laying around just waiting for a project like this) and I think I will find a new home for it without problems.

A really nice save ! Looks a lot like the early Packard Bells and Leading Tech (Laser/Vtech) sold in America way back in the early 90's. A different front panel but the insides looks thae same with riser card and over all layout.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31650 of 52744, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some CPU’s and stuff.

Attachments

Reply 31651 of 52744, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am planing to make a comparative between socket 939 chipsets now that I have all of them:
Abit AN8 ultra - nforce4 ultra
Abit AN8 SLI - nforce4 SLI
Abit AN8 32X - nforce4 SLI X16
Abit AX8 - VIA KT890
Abit AV8 - VIA KT800 pro
One problem remains: finding a geforce 6800 ultra AGP as I already have the PCI express variant! If that is impossible I will use a geforce 7600gt because I have both the AGP and the PCI express models.
CPU used will be the Athlon 64 X2 4400 or 4800 - I have not decided yet because I do not want to stress the VRM with 110W TDP processors.

Reply 31652 of 52744, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

@gex85 unfortunately you're right, it's a pretty bad case. I have one with a different face plate but same insides. It's horrible, it even broke my only super socket 7 motherboard by bending it 🙁

Second that, I have the same case, and it's horrible. And to make matters worse, it's incredibly cramped and has tons of sharp edges (if you see where this is coming, I'd say this case has more sharp edges that AT cases usually have).

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 31653 of 52744, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Second that, I have the same case, and it's horrible. And to make matters worse, it's incredibly cramped and has tons of sharp edges (if you see where this is coming, I'd say this case has more sharp edges that AT cases usually have).

Okay, so it's not just me who finds it terrible 😉
However, I think I'm going to throw in some matching parts that I have in storage and then resell it as a complete system. This way, the next owner won't have to bother with the build quality too much...

My retro computers

Reply 31655 of 52744, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

20 of these:

s-l1600 (3).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (3).jpg
File size
122.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hope I can use them for SIMM-SIPP conversion. Seller has more. look on Ebay...

Reply 31656 of 52744, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yes you can, you can even just insert them in the SIPP receptacles and they will work just fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 31657 of 52744, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting that SIPP memory was a thing back in the 1980's. Didn't some high end 286 boards use SIMM-30 at one time?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31658 of 52744, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seller accepted.. there's one left if anyone was watching the auction. Likely dead, hopefully fixable. Pictures look like good physical condition.

sURKx5ah.png

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals