Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 32300 of 52337, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2020-02-02, 20:08:

May be normal, many USB FDDs lack support for 720 KB.

The FDD supports 720K, 1.25MB, and 1.44MB according to the box. I think the issue could be the heads are bad or the FDD isn't working correctly. The FDD is more like a standard FDD that were in laptops back then and used a ribbon data/power cable. I have a spare one somewhere that I can test out, but I don't know where it is at the moment.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 32301 of 52337, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote on 2020-02-01, 13:53:

Got myself a NOS Genius GM-6. I will make an unboxing video next week. This was my second mouse as a kid!

2C07EF7E-5321-4C53-A600-82B4D7A37A0C.jpeg

thanks for posting this btw, found some on ebay and got one for myself 😀

this weekend I also had my first "Predator99"-moment unfortunately, sorry @Predator99 but I couldn't think of a better name ^^

I bought a big lot of cards from the local classifieds, in the pictures I spotted a SB2.0 a Rendition V2200 plus one other interesting ISA soundcard I couldn't quite make out and some other cards.
the vast bulk of it were "boring" AGP ATI rage cards, TV card, an SCSI controller... you get it the usual, the price of it was worth it for me for the SB2.0 and Rendition card alone so I just said I'll take them all.

well... the cards arrived, but all of the interesting cards were nowhere to be found 🙁 ...not a single ISA soundcard, and the Rendition was missing too, all I got was a box full of a dozen or so identical ATI cards and the others mentioned... I confronted the seller and after some back and forth and me pointing out the pictures showing all of the cards it turns out they were already sold off individually, but the seller didn't bother to remove the pictures showing all of the cards.
unfortunately the seller did not only not apologize but insisted on having done nothing wrong, I asked them to either give me a partial refund because the cards that were left weren't really worth anything or I offered to send them all back... and now they simply stopped replying altogether.
So much for the excitment of getting a Rendition into my collection. :\

Reply 32302 of 52337, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought another Creative Labs CR-563-B CD-ROM drive as either a spare drive or for another build and 2 power/volume/mic flex cables (1 new, 1 used).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 32303 of 52337, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-02-02, 20:05:

Gorgeous system. Yesterday, I bought an AIW 7500 64MB AGP, external USB FDD (needs repairs as it doesn't read any 720K diskette I put in there and doesn't format), and 3.5" FDD head cleaning kit for $18 at a local computer thrift store/electronic recycling center.

Most USB FDDs are HD only.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32304 of 52337, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally found and bought a period correct 1997 PCI card with S-Video out for my Budget 1997 OS/2 Build project.

ATI-Rage-II-01.jpg ATI-Rage-II-02.jpg

Some legs appear to be bent and shorted on the side photo but that's an easy fix. It will take a few weeks to a month to reach me, but I don't care, I finally have what I always wanted.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32305 of 52337, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-03, 05:12:
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-02-02, 20:05:

Gorgeous system. Yesterday, I bought an AIW 7500 64MB AGP, external USB FDD (needs repairs as it doesn't read any 720K diskette I put in there and doesn't format), and 3.5" FDD head cleaning kit for $18 at a local computer thrift store/electronic recycling center.

Most USB FDDs are HD only.

The IBM branded YE-Data USB floppy drives read 720KB ok. IBM part number 06P5223 - mine has a 2005 date code.

Reply 32306 of 52337, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought my first Apple product ever.. 🤣. Couldn't pass up the deal. $140 shipped for a brand new boxed Apple 17" Studio CRT, the last CRT Apple made (ADC, crystal clear one), along with a new in box G4 Powermac.

Not my pic, but this is the exact setup. I'll post pictures when it arrives. I plan on putting MorphOS on it.

Q0b7aaLl.jpg

dDnlwRvh.png

Edit: seller photo:
g4AExhth.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 32307 of 52337, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-02-02, 20:54:
thanks for posting this btw, found some on ebay and got one for myself :) […]
Show full quote

this weekend I also had my first "Predator99"-moment unfortunately, sorry @Predator99 but I couldn't think of a better name ^^

I bought a big lot of cards from the local classifieds, in the pictures I spotted a SB2.0 a Rendition V2200 plus one other interesting ISA soundcard I couldn't quite make out and some other cards.
the vast bulk of it were "boring" AGP ATI rage cards, TV card, an SCSI controller... you get it the usual, the price of it was worth it for me for the SB2.0 and Rendition card alone so I just said I'll take them all.

well... the cards arrived, but all of the interesting cards were nowhere to be found 🙁 ...not a single ISA soundcard, and the Rendition was missing too, all I got was a box full of a dozen or so identical ATI cards and the others mentioned... I confronted the seller and after some back and forth and me pointing out the pictures showing all of the cards it turns out they were already sold off individually, but the seller didn't bother to remove the pictures showing all of the cards.
unfortunately the seller did not only not apologize but insisted on having done nothing wrong, I asked them to either give me a partial refund because the cards that were left weren't really worth anything or I offered to send them all back... and now they simply stopped replying altogether.

Oh no sorry to hear that. But this time I am not guilty 😉 So it seems the seller likes to get 2 times the money for a SB 2.0....I would recommend to send it all back but then you will also have difficulties to get the shipping costs back. Keep us updated...

Reply 32308 of 52337, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Over the past two weeks I’ve purchased 2 Toshiba T4850CT 486dx 75 laptops. The second one was supposed to be for parts, but runs better than the first!

I also dug a few old desktops out of the attic, and bought:

1. 2GB of the fastest ram for my Pentium D desktop running Vista
  2. A PIII 733MHz slot 1 CPU (upgrading from a PIII 450)
  3. A StarTech PCI to PCMCIA adapter
  4. A Cisco Aironet 350 PCI Card
  5. An nVidia GeFore Ti 4200 (128Mb), upgrading from a Diamond V770U 32MB
  6. Intel Pro 100 S Network card...
  7. Commodore 128, 1571 disk drive, 1084 monitor, and a bunch of other accessories

Somebody stop me!

At least all this old equipment is pretty cheap.

Reply 32309 of 52337, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote on 2020-02-03, 14:20:
imi wrote on 2020-02-02, 20:54:
thanks for posting this btw, found some on ebay and got one for myself :) […]
Show full quote

Oh no sorry to hear that. But this time I am not guilty 😉 So it seems the seller likes to get 2 times the money for a SB 2.0....I would recommend to send it all back but then you will also have difficulties to get the shipping costs back. Keep us updated...

well it being local classifieds there is no easy recourse, and obviously no paypal... so if I just send them back like this, I'll be out of money, out of cards and will have paid shipping on top of it... not much I can do apart from going the legal route, which probably causes more effort and costs than what I paid in the first place 😒 and the seller probably knows that too.

on a brighter side, after many months of it just sitting idle on my bench I finally bought some replacement parts for my broken desoldering station, new control/display boards and while I was at it also new filters and solder tweezers so I can finally get to fix some stuff 😀
the seller that sold me the station as "fully working" fortunately did refund me half of the price ^^ it arrived with torn cables internally and even after fixing those the temperature control did not work at all.

Reply 32311 of 52337, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.....
I just paid for these two things in one order. Was not cheap, however I have wanted it for years now.
It is an accelerator for my Amiga600 and an silent active fan, to make sure it is running cold enough.
It has a maprom, so I can use my Kickstart 3.1.4 or other roms out there for testing.
Finally I am also going to use the complete setup as a Mac and Atari emulator.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=105
https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=280

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 32313 of 52337, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2020-02-03, 15:50:
Well..... I just paid for these two things in one order. Was not cheap, however I have wanted it for years now. It is an acceler […]
Show full quote

Well.....
I just paid for these two things in one order. Was not cheap, however I have wanted it for years now.
It is an accelerator for my Amiga600 and an silent active fan, to make sure it is running cold enough.
It has a maprom, so I can use my Kickstart 3.1.4 or other roms out there for testing.

PowerPC 601 and FPU?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 32314 of 52337, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-02-03, 18:15:
Well..... I just paid for these two things in one order. Was not cheap, however I have wanted it for years now. It is an acceler […]
Show full quote

Well.....

PowerPC 601 and FPU?

Motorola 68020 20 or 25 mhz, clocked at 33 mhz and FPU. Plus more.... I linked to the spec's in my post.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 32315 of 52337, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Decided to get the HP LP2065 display. S-IPS 1600x1200, should do the upscaling from 640x480 and 1024x768 pretty well.
If it is as good as people say, it might make its way to my main desk - otherwise it should still be good enough for my basement workshop.

My retro computers

Reply 32316 of 52337, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so I was looking for some DRAM for older builds... and there's no way I'm paying those prices... so instead I got this heavily corroded (but cleaned) 286 board for cheap ^^
the board itself is probably beyond repair, but lots of spare parts 😀 and a 286-16 too... and of course all that DRAM ^^

hardware36_13.jpg
Filename
hardware36_13.jpg
File size
465.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware36_13b.jpg
Filename
hardware36_13b.jpg
File size
407.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by imi on 2020-02-03, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32317 of 52337, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a great condition Toshiba T1100 Plus today from a local seller.

Toshiba1100plus.jpg
Filename
Toshiba1100plus.jpg
File size
170.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Runs like a dream. Charged it up, and it's at 2 hours on the built-in batteries so they're still working surprisingly well!

No corrosion at all from the NICD battery backup, 640kb memory installed, both floppy drives work. Still has original Toshiba T1100-branded case too!

I'm really pleased with it!

Reply 32318 of 52337, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2020-02-03, 18:25:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-02-03, 18:15:
Show full quote

Well.....

PowerPC 601 and FPU?

Motorola 68020 20 or 25 mhz, clocked at 33 mhz and FPU. Plus more.... I linked to the spec's in my post.

Oh, I see it now - just so far down the page .. Awesome upgrade!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 32319 of 52337, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MSI GF2 MX400 64mb AGP VGA /DVI

Figure this will go great with my WIN98 P3 500mhz skt370 system thats all wrapped up in a Dell Dimension 3000 case for much older games that can be played on a LCD monitor.

Attachments

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se