VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 32901 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, your point is well seen. I feel like I'm drunk as a skunk with the medication I'm taking (wisdom tooth extraction).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 32902 of 52352, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:23:
devius wrote on 2020-03-09, 15:32:

You can never have enough RAM 😎

Oh, you can. I must have 500+ memory modules by now... I really need to test them and sort all out that are faulty or too slow/small to use.

Test these memory modules using memtest86+ Bootable via USB stick or CD. Memtest86+ always catch bad ones that other testers wouldn't detect. True stories.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 32903 of 52352, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:12:

You know, I wonder if there's a DOS applet somewhere that can disable the extended memory and only use conventional RAM? I doubt it, but how cool would that be to have something like that?

You can always get or setup a PC with 640KB or 1MB 😉

Also, I think programs/games that run in real mode will not use extended memory, so it's almost the same thing in the end. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in. (Edit: looks like some people already did)

Reply 32904 of 52352, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, my second Diamond Monster 3D 2 (8mb) card came in today, and iv found out my 440bx board just refuses to POST when the new V2 is anywhere near it 🙁

So now i gotta go through the long process of figuring out weather the card itself bit the dust or its something on my end, and if it is dead, then coxing a refund out of the seller.
Iv contacted them but they haven't gotten back to me in a few hours, and that by itself is enough to get me nervous. Iv had a few cases in the past where sellers just seem to be..non existent the minute shite breaks and the only options ebay gives me is to just blindly send it back or open a dispute.

Honestly, im a bit hasty to get my money back if something doesn't work and it wasn't of my doing. Especially when its something as expensive these days as a Voodoo 2 card.

Im just sad my SLI dreams have been crushed for now ;-;

Reply 32905 of 52352, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-03-10, 09:40:
Well, my second Diamond Monster 3D 2 (8mb) card came in today, and iv found out my 440bx board just refuses to POST when the new […]
Show full quote

Well, my second Diamond Monster 3D 2 (8mb) card came in today, and iv found out my 440bx board just refuses to POST when the new V2 is anywhere near it 🙁

So now i gotta go through the long process of figuring out weather the card itself bit the dust or its something on my end, and if it is dead, then coxing a refund out of the seller.
Iv contacted them but they haven't gotten back to me in a few hours, and that by itself is enough to get me nervous. Iv had a few cases in the past where sellers just seem to be..non existent the minute shite breaks and the only options ebay gives me is to just blindly send it back or open a dispute.

Honestly, im a bit hasty to get my money back if something doesn't work and it wasn't of my doing. Especially when its something as expensive these days as a Voodoo 2 card.

Im just sad my SLI dreams have been crushed for now ;-;

Do a visual inspection of the whole card. The legs of the big chips bend easily and can cause a short.

Was it sold as working?

1982 to 2001

Reply 32906 of 52352, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-09, 20:09:

But the memory would still be there and any software using its own memory manager or running in 32-bit protected mode could use it.

It has to know it's there in the first place before using it, easy to hide if you stub out some int15 functions (which is exactly what most xms managers do, since they claim all extended memory for themselves).

Reply 32908 of 52352, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-03-10, 02:50:

Test these memory modules using memtest86+ Bootable via USB stick or CD. Memtest86+ always catch bad ones that other testers wouldn't detect. True stories.

I never liked memtest86+, since it often does not detect errros and it can also not test all memory. I always use "c't RAM Test 5.1", which runs from video memory and can even change the refresh period to something as low as 250ns, making sure even errors normally not seen are detected.

Reply 32909 of 52352, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-10, 12:19:

The amount of RAM can be queried from the BIOS and it stores that info in CMOS whenever a POST is done.

What do you think the default handler for int15 does...

Reply 32910 of 52352, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a couple of Radeon's today, hoping at least one will play nice with my Opteron, also these famicom games.

DSC_0191.JPG
Filename
DSC_0191.JPG
File size
205.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_0192.JPG
Filename
DSC_0192.JPG
File size
286.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 32911 of 52352, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took a detour on the way home from work yesterday and stopped at a computer shop I did not know existed. I did not have much time to rummage, but managed to find a few goodies. Including an AGP STB Riva 128, an AGP STB Riva TNT, an Ensoniq AudioPCI and one odd AGP STB card with an audio connector. A STB NITRO DVD. After dinner I had a little time and, despite all the bent caps, get all the video cards into windows. The sound card will have to wait. Added pics. It includes a TnT2 I already owned.

Cards.jpg
Filename
Cards.jpg
File size
103.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by SilverHawk on 2020-03-12, 23:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32912 of 52352, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought another Games Console for my collection, my friend had one of these as a kid - Grandstand SD-050 (PC-50x Family).

It hasn't arrived yet, so a tiny stock picture from the internet of what it looks like:

gtaqhkr.jpg

It comes with the Supersportic PC-501 Cartridge, containing Pong type games such as: Squash, Hockey, Tennis, Basketball, Soccer, Gridball & 2 Practice modes, as well as 2 Shooting Target games that require both the Light Gun & a CRT TV (of which I presently have neither).

I also bought 3 more Cartridges for it, which I never had a chance to play as a kid -
PC-504: Car Race GP
PC-505: Bataille Navale/Submarine (Sea & Space Battle style gaming)
PC-506: Superb Wipeout (Pong meets Breakout)

I'm keeping my eyes open for the PC-502 Motor Cycle & PC-503 Tank Battle cartridges. There's a few 502s on eBay, but I'm waiting for lower prices.

Not really interested in PC-507 as it's just Light Gun shooting games and there's practically no hope in hell of finding the rare PC-508 pong cartridge.

Reply 32913 of 52352, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-03-10, 09:49:

Do a visual inspection of the whole card. The legs of the big chips bend easily and can cause a short.

Was it sold as working?

Yup, found 2 bent legs touching on two of the big 3DFX chips, think that's the culprit?

OKAY...so now I'm mildly freaking out as I really don't know how to separate these safely. I tried using a sowing needle to push in-between them but stopped half way through because I was freaked out over damaging the card 😵

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with these bends?

Attachments

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 06:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32914 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use a small, flat tipped (bladed) screwdriver and press the legs to the left (rear of the chip) and to the left (front of the chip) in question. Please be careful with this and the sewing needle method should work as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 32917 of 52352, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-10, 12:22:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-03-10, 02:50:

I never liked memtest86+, since it often does not detect errros and it can also not test all memory. I always use "c't RAM Test 5.1", which runs from video memory and can even change the refresh period to something as low as 250ns, making sure even errors normally not seen are detected.

c't RAM Test 5.1 website is in german, is there a website in english?

I'm open to trying new one that is better than memtest86+.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 32918 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-03-10, 17:29:
Yup, found 2 bent legs touching on two of the big 3DFX chips, think thats the culpurate? […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-03-10, 09:49:

Was it sold as working?

Yup, found 2 bent legs touching on two of the big 3DFX chips, think thats the culpurate?

OKAY...so now im mildly freaking out as i really don't know how to seperate these safely. I tried using a sowing needle to push inbetween them but stopped half way through because i was freaked out over damaging the card 😵

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with these bends?

I use a modeling knife.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.