Topic actions

Reply 35260 of 52669, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote on 2020-07-30, 05:25:
Warlord wrote on 2020-07-30, 04:18:

the air flow design on that case tho makes little since.

Why not? The bottom is likely perforated, and as you can see on the pictures there's room below most of the bottom plate. Hot air naturally rises, and gets expelled from the top.

Of course the design is also a great vacuum cleaner (unless it has good filtering in place).

`

It's fine for a small build; the one issue being the front-mounted PSU fan trying to push warm air out front/bottom thru the one large unfiltered opening (unless you choose to flip the fan around in the PSU). I'm thinking I might top-mount the psu (sfx or tfx maybe) in the 5.25 bay, which I don't plan on using, and adding a vented Lian Li bay cover so that'll allow warm air to be pushed out front/top (better) and also allows me to mount front intake fans in the unused PSU mount area. Apart from that, I'd expect decent airflow from the two supplied 140mm fans (both filtered), plus I can add a rear 80/90mm exhaust as well (the board I'm thinking of has plently of fan headers).

LianLi PC-A55 airflow.jpg
Filename
File size
257.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 35261 of 52669, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-07-30, 05:35:
` […]
Show full quote
Warlord wrote on 2020-07-30, 04:18:

the air flow design on that case tho makes little since.

Why not? The bottom is likely perforated, and as you can see on the pictures there's room below most of the bottom plate. Hot air naturally rises, and gets expelled from the top.

Of course the design is also a great vacuum cleaner (unless it has good filtering in place).

`

It's fine for a small build; the one issue being the front-mounted PSU fan trying to push warm air out front/bottom thru the one large unfiltered opening (unless you choose to flip the fan around in the PSU). I'm thinking I might top-mount the psu (sfx or tfx maybe) in the 5.25 bay, which I don't plan on using, and adding a vented Lian Li bay cover so that'll allow warm air to be pushed out front/top (better) and also allows me to mount front intake fans in the unused PSU mount area. Apart from that, I'd expect decent airflow from the two supplied 140mm fans (both filtered), plus I can add a rear 80/90mm exhaust as well (the board I'm thinking of has plently of fan headers).

Given that cards will be directly in the way of the top and bottom fan I think I would set both those fans on intake and let the air escape wherever it will.

Reply 35262 of 52669, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-07-30, 05:47:
` […]
Show full quote

`

Given that cards will be directly in the way of the top and bottom fan I think I would set both those fans on intake and let the air escape wherever it will.

Nah.. the top fan should definitely be exhaust. Hot air naturally rises and plus there will in no way be enough vent holes for the air from both large fans to escape... it will just end up making the temps inside the case hotter and the fan noise will be louder.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 35263 of 52669, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
devius wrote on 2020-07-28, 12:19:
alienmannequin wrote on 2020-07-28, 11:28:

... which part of the forum would be appropriate for such a journal?

This one, only a separate thread. For reference: General Old Hardware You can already find a few repair related threads in here. It's always fun 😃

Will definitely create a new thread for this machine - a little worried about what might be found, but we shall see.

mkarcher wrote on 2020-07-28, 19:40:
alienmannequin wrote on 2020-07-28, 11:28:

So, it's Compaq-specific. I have the square-shaped piggyback module - there are quite a few numbers on it that are mostly hidden. Have taken more photos of the layout of the board, as well as the oxidation of sorts - haven't done cleaning yet. Wasn't keen to remove the upgrade module yet - looks as if there might be some brittle plastic flathead bolts holding it on, however managed to wedge the camera for a partial shot of the underside.

That partial shot clearly captured the text "4MB - 32 B - M MODULE" which quite surely mean "4 Megabyte 32-Bit Memory Module". That's interesting, as the base card is a 16-bit memory card (unsurprising for a 386SX machine). So it seems the square-shaped piggyback modules might be the same for both the 32-bit base card and the 16-bit base card. And indeed, the 32-bit Compaq Deskpro 386/20 configuration guide at http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/PS2_MOST/ACROR … PAQ/2005010.PDF actually lists the part number as well. It seems not all modules are interchangable, though.

Thanks for your sleuthing. I'll be sure to document the disassembly of the board in the new thread for the journey of this machine. Assuming this card would be unlikely to PnP into any non-compaq machine, so feeling discouraged about the possibility of ever testing it, given the condition of the machine - we shall see!

Reply 35264 of 52669, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-07-30, 05:47:
` […]
Show full quote

`

Correct bast case scenario is to flip the top fan around as an intake so cooler outside air cools the ram and cpu. Add a fan to the back of the case as exhaust. The bottom fan is kinda irrelevant as thats a far way for air to travel to have any meaningful impact on cooling the cpu or ram It should be set on intake as well anyways. Plus with the PSU mounted on the bottom cool air for sure would never reach there, and the cool air from teh bottom would just be pulled to the psu.

In reality it's much more like this

Attachments

Reply 35265 of 52669, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CrFr wrote on 2020-07-29, 10:02:
Picked up some more junk :) […]
Show full quote

Picked up some more junk 😀

According to seller it is:
IBM Aptiva Model 2170-26G
AMD K6-2 450Mhz / 128MB / 4GB HDD / CDRW / NIC / MODEM

Seller says it doesn't start, nothing happens when power button is pressed. I'm hoping it is just a matter of replacing the PSU. Even if it is totally trash inside, I'm happy to have this cool looking good condition case. It seems to accept normal mATX motherboards and ATX power supply, so it would be fun case to build some sleeper system in it.

20200729_095130476_iOS_.jpg

And like the seller promised, this is dead. Doesn’t start even with new PSU 🙁 There are some caps, that are somewhat swollen. Maybe I replace those, and see what happens before I recycle the motherboard.

Edit: Three largest caps were bad. Others tested ok and I didn’t swap those. Now keyboard powers on, and monitor powers on, but the screen remains blank.

Last edited by CrFr on 2020-07-30, 09:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35267 of 52669, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received a GeForce3 Ti 200 yesterday. I installed it in my Soyo SY-5EMA+ to replace the ATI 9200 it had in it. I've never had one before, I had to settle for a GeForce2 Ti back then. I've been having a lot of fun with this system, the K6-2+ 550 has been a good chip so far, hitting 5x124 at 2.2 volts.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 35268 of 52669, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Turns out some previous owner had screwed around with the dip switches, setting too high voltage for the processor and fried it. I put in Pentium 166 and set the switches in correct positions and motherboard seems to work just fine. Too bad the K6-2 is f’d up 🙁

Reply 35269 of 52669, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this in the mail today.

It's a Creative Labs Vibra 16X, tested in my K6-2 and works nicely.

I actually ordered this before I got the 2 free AWE64 cards so now it's not really needed, but doesn't hurt to have an extra ISA sound card in my box of stuff.

This pic is from the ebay auction, I have since moved the jumpers into the line out position.

Attachments

• vibra 16x.jpg
    Filename
    vibra 16x.jpg
    File size
    301.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 35271 of 52669, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not HW but I am excited about it anyways,
Windows 3.1 for Compaq PC with UK licence, sealed (not anymore). Nice six sealed floppies.
I would like to install this on my Presario 460

20200730_200806.jpg
Filename
20200730_200806.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 35274 of 52669, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The fan under the cards, don't use fan there. Just vents. Use 80mm or 90mm fan blowing out, the 140mm at top, also blows out. Less noise too. Anything else conflicts.

Honestly, this case is worst design for cooling unless you have side vents on the panel, if not, draw up one and use 2 sizes of drills make grid of holes. Let it be a intake to let air waft onto cards with two fans I mentioned blowing out.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 35275 of 52669, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More freebies from the same friend (I've known this guy since 1997):

Several Asus USB/MIR cards (with PS/2!!!)
Various USB headers
Various audio cables
etc.

Going through the box of goodies now.

EDIT:
Took pics of the most interesting stuff.
3 x Asus USB3P
3 x Asus USB/MIR (usb only)
1 x Asus USB/MIR (usb/ps2/ir)
2 x no-name USB/MIR knock-offs (ATX form card is silk-screened on the PCB) Also one of these seems to have liquid damage / corrosion on one of the usb ports.
2 x PS/2 mouse headers

He also has an Asus P2-99B AT motherboard, but there is a blown capacitor on it, so I didn't take it.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0072.jpg
    File size
    850.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0071.jpg
    File size
    831.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0066.jpg
    File size
    838.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0065.jpg
    File size
    830.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0061.jpg
    File size
    776.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by pete8475 on 2020-07-31, 00:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35276 of 52669, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-07-30, 18:58:

Wow! Where did you find them super jealous

someone locally was clearing them out probably leftovers from a store or music production company or something ^^

Reply 35279 of 52669, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pete8475 wrote on 2020-07-30, 20:02:

He also has an Asus P2-99B AT motherboard, but there is a blown capacitor on it, so I didn't take it.

I'd take it :p

that sure is worth to repair ^^