Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 35800 of 52354, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Helped a friend with a new computer and as thanks I got given:
One Olivetti PCS P/75 Educator, not working (needed a "dallas mod") and not 100% complete (missing the soundcard).
And also a Matrox M3D in box (!).
Both bought new by him back in the day.
The CPU in it ( a P75) has been overclocked to 100MHz basically since new.

The Olivetti looks great, 100% on the outside.
Inside its now working, but the metal is slightly bent and I want to find a newer BIOS for it.
It comes with v1.12 and apparently theres a v1.13 avail, not a lot of info on this motherboard around apart from a PDF "manual" (called "BA2233").
https://secure.corradoroberto.it/doc/olivetti … tems2/cap12.pdf
And I reccon that finding a replacement soundcard will be near inpossible, "Mozart OTI 605 (MI2074)" gives no hits when searching.

And the Matrox card is just so much fun!
You're not gonna get Voodoo framerates, but image quality is just so much better.
And being able to run games at 1024*768*32 is just great =)
Should probably put it in my P3B-F testrig and do a CPU scaling test from P2-233 up to P3-1100.

Reply 35801 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-09-06, 18:31:
Got an ASUS P5S800-VM/S board and a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 GHz. […]
Show full quote

Got an ASUS P5S800-VM/S board and a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 GHz.

The board comes with an AGP slot and paired with my HD4650 this will be the perfect Windows XP machine.
The manual claims the board can boost the AGP8x transfer rate even more by using something called "Ultra-AGPII".

Guess I'll see if that's just marketing BS or if it really works. 😜

It's a proprietary extension to the AGP standard that only works with specific AGP cards (good luck finding those). It's backward compatible with regular AGP cards. On some boards it only works with the integrated graphics, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Gra … cial_variations

Reply 35802 of 52354, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAZter wrote on 2020-09-07, 00:19:

No, this is original model M keyboard, painted by some idiot.

Or he just liked it that way because it was his keyboard and he could do whatever he wanted to do with it.
It doesn't make him an idiot any more than a guy who wants to paint the brake calipers on his car or repaint his desk.
Just saying.

Reply 35803 of 52354, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what did I just bought? No clue... I paid like 25USD for this, was advertised as it was a GPS for farming machines, like harvester or so...
Never the less it came with 3 GPS, attached to different port of it (serial, some telephone port and one more)
Officially this should be a Mobile Pentium 500MHz, but looks like it sits on some custom made board with pcmcia and cf card slot.
There is also a laptop floppy and cd rom drive in it. Happy with the mini cherry keyboard though... 😀

Attachments

Reply 35804 of 52354, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote on 2020-09-07, 05:41:

It's a proprietary extension to the AGP standard that only works with specific AGP cards (good luck finding those). It's backward compatible with regular AGP cards. On some boards it only works with the integrated graphics, too.

Thanks for the info.

All of the technical information regarding my board talks about "Integrated Ultra-AGPII Graphics", so you're right - this faster speed probably only affects the internal graphics.
One review said the internal Mirage 3+ GPU's performance is as bad as a GeForce 256, so it is just marketing BS after all, I think.

Still interested to see how fast I can go with a P4, and if I'll need to turn on my radiator this winter at all or if running the computer is enough. 😄

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 35805 of 52354, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New in box LG Flatron F700B CRT monitor. Can't wait to open this later tonight 😀

IMG_0992.JPG
Filename
IMG_0992.JPG
File size
816.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 35806 of 52354, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrFr wrote on 2020-09-07, 11:51:

New in box LG Flatron F700B CRT monitor. Can't wait to open this later tonight 😀

IMG_0992.JPG

Pretty awesome!
Maybe post some pics in the Crt thread....

Reply 35807 of 52354, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hejluxom wrote on 2020-09-07, 06:10:
So what did I just bought? No clue... I paid like 25USD for this, was advertised as it was a GPS for farming machines, like harv […]
Show full quote

So what did I just bought? No clue... I paid like 25USD for this, was advertised as it was a GPS for farming machines, like harvester or so...
Never the less it came with 3 GPS, attached to different port of it (serial, some telephone port and one more)
Officially this should be a Mobile Pentium 500MHz, but looks like it sits on some custom made board with pcmcia and cf card slot.
There is also a laptop floppy and cd rom drive in it. Happy with the mini cherry keyboard though... 😀

I know exactly what that is.
I use em almost every day at work =)
Its a series of computers "Åkerströms" had in the early 2000's.
Obviously quite customizable, ours has a very slow Celeron 600MHz and (much upgraded since) wifi.
And since they are vehicle mounted vibrations have killed all the original HDD's and they are now running solid state disks.
Ours also use "Åkerströms" indestructible keyboards, 20 years with fists pounding them in frustration almost daily.
Also the touchscreens still work, you need special software for it tho IIRC.

Extremely rugged computers.
Booting at -30c? no problem, chugging along in a +50c sunbaked cockpit? sure!

Reply 35809 of 52354, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-07, 06:07:
Or he just liked it that way because it was his keyboard and he could do whatever he wanted to do with it. It doesn't make him a […]
Show full quote
MAZter wrote on 2020-09-07, 00:19:

No, this is original model M keyboard, painted by some idiot.

Or he just liked it that way because it was his keyboard and he could do whatever he wanted to do with it.
It doesn't make him an idiot any more than a guy who wants to paint the brake calipers on his car or repaint his desk.
Just saying.

I agree . In fact, the colour scheme used reminds me of something . Could this thing have been used as a replacement for some industrial terminal or POS application ?

I am guessing that there was probably some practical purpose to the paint job, at least for the keycaps.

Reply 35810 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-09-07, 10:29:
Thanks for the info. […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote on 2020-09-07, 05:41:

Thanks for the info.

All of the technical information regarding my board talks about "Integrated Ultra-AGPII Graphics", so you're right - this faster speed probably only affects the internal graphics.
One review said the internal Mirage 3+ GPU's performance is as bad as a GeForce 256, so it is just marketing BS after all, I think.

It wasn't meant to provide graphics as good as gaming cards, but should be a bit better than the usual internal graphic cards (some have outright atrocious performance).

Reply 35811 of 52354, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The other day I spotted a very interesting listing on the local classifieds site, this is one of the seller's photos:

2020-09-06 12.17.13.png
Filename
2020-09-06 12.17.13.png
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File comment
Motherboards and Cards (sellers photo)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

He had some more photos in better quality so I was able to identify at least the following cards:

• Gravis Ultrasound MAX
  • SB16 CT2230
  • Roland SCB-7 MIDI daughterboard mounted to the SB16
  • Some Tseng Labs ISA VGA card, I suspect some sort of ET4000
  • Diamond Voodoo 1
  • Creative Dxr2 DVD decoder card
  • Some Adaptec ISA SCSI controller
  • A pretty beaten up ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard
  • Matrox G400
  • Sound Blaster X-Fi

The other cards seem to me more or less useless.
The GUS seems to be in good condition, the SB16 has at least a few bent pins on the CD-ROM headers and the Voodoo has at least one cap knocked off. The G400 has a damaged heatsink and the X-Fi had the heatsink ripped off. SCB-7 looks OK too, but the seller didn't have any hi-res photos of it so we'll see.

It's in the mail now and should arrive later this week, needless to say I am pretty excited 😄
If everything works, this will be a huge upgrade for my 486 machine!

In a different listing I spotted some interesting parts, too:

2020-09-06 16.01.18.png
Filename
2020-09-06 16.01.18.png
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File comment
Graphic cards (sellers photo)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Gainward Dragon 3000 Voodoo2 12MB
  • Leadtek Winfast A400 GeForce 6800 AGP (sadly, it's the small 128MB non-GT, non-Ultra version)
  • GeForce 4 Ti4200 (these Medion-branded cards are not rare at all, but always nice to have another GF4Ti around)

The seller had some more stuff he wanted to get rid of, so I will get some DDR1 1GB modules, some SDR ECC RAM (1GB modules, too!) and a few hard disks. Everything was very reasonably priced.

My retro computers

Reply 35813 of 52354, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-07, 20:30:

That's a very good haul. And who sells GUS' as part of a bulk lot anymore 🤣

Someone who has no clue what they have 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 35815 of 52354, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just bought a Antec 350watt ATX PSU from 2006, box was never opened, the inside plastic bag was also still sealed. Got it from a local thrift store on my way home from work just a few hours ago, cost $30. It is a cheaper model but does have OPP, OVP and SCP. Weighs 2.5lbs so not heavy but not light. Voltages are near perfect for a 14 year old PSU, was hoping they would be. Only down side: no -5v but am OK with that.

Attachments

• Img_1302s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1302s.jpg
    File size
    72.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_1299s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1299s.jpg
    File size
    185.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_1301s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1301s.jpg
    File size
    57.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 35816 of 52354, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-09-07, 22:38:

Just bought a Antec 350watt ATX PSU from 2006, box was never opened, the inside plastic bag was also still sealed. Got it from a local thrift store on my way home from work just a few hours ago, cost $30. It is a cheaper model but does have OPP, OVP and SCP. Weighs 2.5lbs so not heavy but not light. Voltages are near perfect for a 14 year old PSU, was hoping they would be. Only down side: no -5v but am OK with that.

Have you checked the brand(s) of the capacitors ?

Reply 35817 of 52354, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-09-07, 22:40:

No have not opened it yet, but will later tonite. Hopefully not junk brands.....I know Electro's can actually fail faster if not used.
Added: They are nearly all (even the small ones) TEAPO 105c but cannot read the series, so not the best but not the worst.

Last edited by Horun on 2020-09-07, 23:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 35818 of 52354, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-09-07, 23:00:
darry wrote on 2020-09-07, 22:40:

No have not opened it yet, but will later tonite. Hopefully not junk brands.....I know Electro's can actually fail faster if not used.

Antec seems to have been having a love affair of sorts with Fuhjyyu electrolytics at about that time .

Reply 35819 of 52354, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-05, 06:23:
yawetaG wrote on 2020-09-05, 06:01:

Chance the China ones are fake: High.

China =/= fake, it's just a popular misconception spread by people who can't compete with their prices & free shipping so they try to convince their customers that Chinese (imported) products are all bad. No. Business owners always shout fakes when people buy directly from the manufacturer and not from them. Cutting out the middle man greatly reduces costs for the buyer and I can buy a single capacitor with free shipping. That simple.

It do exists fakes in China. I know one person who got a fake HDD when he visited China. He thought he bought a genuine Samsung external hard disk, but it was more of a very small USB memory (sort of) instead. It looked something like the one in this news article:

https://www.neowin.net/news/fake-chinese-500- … ight-literally/

hdd.jpg

00f63d6s.jpg