VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 38580 of 52730, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nobody can have too many Socket 5 so I bought this FIC PA-2000.

It is going to be first VIA chipset covered in my Pentium Chipset comparison. Several people asked be to add VIA.

This one has Via Apollo Plus (575MV) which is actually cost reduced version of the Apollo Master (575M) chipset without pipelined burst support. So I might eventually add also FIC PA-2001 with full version of the chipset.

Also buffered RAM and 8 SIMM slots so I don't have high hopes for performance....

DSC_9497-scaled.jpeg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 38581 of 52730, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mpe wrote on 2021-03-25, 20:45:

Clean looking board ! Have a PT-2000 that is similar but Intel chipset. FIC made good boards !
Forgot to mention bought another MS Sidewinder 3D Pro, this time a Plus version, for verp cheap, not tested yet...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 38582 of 52730, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Brand new, sealed in box VCR and some brand new cassettes (Hi8 and betas). Just need a decent tube flat TV and I can reimgine some of my youth..

Attachments

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 38583 of 52730, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up two things today, only one of which is fully retro by most people's standards.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Yeah, dud, I got a dell. It's a rubber dome keyboard, but hey, it feels rather nice for one. It's also much smaller in volume and size when compared to my previous cheap keytronics model M clone.

I also picked up a rather nicely preserved iPod Mini 2nd Gen, and promptly flash modded it.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
271.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And I can't complain about the results.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
253.53 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 38584 of 52730, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stege wrote on 2021-03-26, 00:27:

Brand new, sealed in box VCR and some brand new cassettes (Hi8 and betas). Just need a decent tube flat TV and I can reimgine some of my youth..

Nice ! Finding a working VCR that includes the remote is very hard. Great find !
I have a 20" old Magnavox CRT TV that is used for such things but am afraid it may not live much longer 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 38585 of 52730, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! I'd love to tinker around with VHS stuff again but most of these systems are pretty unreliable as there is so much cheap fault-prone mechanics involved.
All the better that you could find a new system.

Reply 38586 of 52730, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I won't get my Sony CRT.
The vendor canceled the transaction.
I don't know why, I just know he wasn't able to find a big enough box to send it.
What the hell...
At least I got my money back.

Reply 38587 of 52730, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mpe wrote on 2021-03-25, 20:45:
Nobody can have too many Socket 5 so I bought this FIC PA-2000. […]
Show full quote

It is going to be first VIA chipset covered in my Pentium Chipset comparison. Several people asked be to add VIA.

This one has Via Apollo Plus (575MV) which is actually cost reduced version of the Apollo Master (575M) chipset without pipelined burst support. So I might eventually add also FIC PA-2001 with full version of the chipset.

Also buffered RAM and 8 SIMM slots so I don't have high hopes for performance....

DSC_9497-scaled.jpeg

I have added your photo here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2417

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 38588 of 52730, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2021-03-26, 03:13:
I picked up two things today, only one of which is fully retro by most people's standards. image0.jpg Yeah, dud, I got a dell. I […]
Show full quote

I picked up two things today, only one of which is fully retro by most people's standards.
image0.jpg
Yeah, dud, I got a dell. It's a rubber dome keyboard, but hey, it feels rather nice for one. It's also much smaller in volume and size when compared to my previous cheap keytronics model M clone.

I also picked up a rather nicely preserved iPod Mini 2nd Gen, and promptly flash modded it.
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

Flash modded? As in replaced flash for bigger ones?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 38589 of 52730, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote on 2021-03-24, 00:05:
Oh my! If THAT (199 euro) is what the public is willing to pay for this one, I'd probably better start selling all of mine.... 😂 […]
Show full quote
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-03-22, 09:42:

Probably paid WAY too much, but searches to this forum didn't give me any pointers to price, only "searching for years" and "never shows up", so I took it ..

Oh my! If THAT (199 euro) is what the public is willing to pay for this one, I'd probably better start selling all of mine.... 😂

But yes, they are pretty rare now in the wild - makes me wonder what happened to all those sold on ebay some years ago .
(this (ASUS?) guy in Thailand had crates full, selling them NiB at $19 a pop inkl shipping)...

Edit: 'this' is an ASUS CT-479 cpu adapter for socket s478...

Well, €179 including shipping .. 🤣 couldn't find any indications of what the right price should be - only the before mentioned "never shows up" statements .. 😁

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 38590 of 52730, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know it is not related strictly to computer hardware but it is very, very rare - also NOS!!

Attachments

Reply 38591 of 52730, by mtgmackid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dug up two Creative 12mb V2s from the same scrap bin at ewaste:

j3Kmp57.jpg
gI68Y31.jpg

The PixelFX chip on the bottom took a noticeable ding (two pins were pretty bent, straightened them out) but otherwise they are in decent shape, and I can't complain considering what I paid =) I think they came from the same system but I'm not sure.

Reply 38592 of 52730, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mtgmackid wrote on 2021-03-26, 14:47:
Dug up two Creative 12mb V2s from the same scrap bin at ewaste: […]
Show full quote

j3Kmp57.jpg
gI68Y31.jpg

The PixelFX chip on the bottom took a noticeable ding (two pins were pretty bent, straightened them out) but otherwise they are in decent shape, and I can't complain considering what I paid =) I think they came from the same system but I'm not sure.

Nice! I would guess they came from the same system since the SLI cable is still attached. Hard to believe there are still systems floating around out there with SLI V2s that aren't owned by people who know better than to scrap them. Worked out for you though! 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 38593 of 52730, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't buy it but heres something interesting I found at ewaste.

It's still there "left on the side".

Attachments

Reply 38594 of 52730, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mtgmackid wrote on 2021-03-26, 14:47:
Dug up two Creative 12mb V2s from the same scrap bin at ewaste: […]
Show full quote

j3Kmp57.jpg
gI68Y31.jpg

The card with the SLI-cable attached is an early one! For instance: chip dates of both 9801 and 9802 and the SLI port looks 'upright' rather than outwards.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 38595 of 52730, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-03-26, 10:15:
BetaC wrote on 2021-03-26, 03:13:
I picked up two things today, only one of which is fully retro by most people's standards. image0.jpg Yeah, dud, I got a dell. I […]
Show full quote

image0.jpg

image0.jpg
image0.jpg

Flash modded? As in replaced flash for bigger ones?

iPod Minis actually use Hitachi Microdrives, which are quite literally the spinning disk version of CF cards. They’re pin compatible, so it was a straight up drop in replacement.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 38597 of 52730, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote on 2021-03-26, 07:31:

Awesome! I'd love to tinker around with VHS stuff again but most of these systems are pretty unreliable as there is so much cheap fault-prone mechanics involved.
All the better that you could find a new system.

Some prosumer equipment is much easier to service, because they forego the all-in-one tape mechanisms that so often fail on regular consumer models.

Reply 38598 of 52730, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh no an infamous octek board without any sort of cache

Could you dump your mr bios ? we don't have them in UH19 : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/4026

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 38599 of 52730, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up these two little beauties from Yahoo Auctions Japan, one with 1.5GB RAM, an ATI Rage 128 Pro and Airport card. The second unit features a GeForce 2 MX, no HDD or Airport card. Everything seems to be in working condition according to the seller.

Managed to snag these together for less than $250. Not a bad day’s hunting!

Attachments

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build