Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 39401 of 52723, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2021-06-09, 09:54:

Challenge and lottery, I understand:) I have it similarly.

That feeling when you fix a broken hardware and test it for the first time and.. it works!
It's the best.

Reply 39402 of 52723, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fresh from the average user broken stuff is best, large proportion is actually functional, just misconfigured or something. If you get to know of a shop where they part swap until things works, dive their dumpster, the first two things they took out weren't the problem, so only one in three parts in there is actually bad 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 39403 of 52723, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, bought another SC-155 for cheap. It really did need some TLC though but the result is nice.

See the before and after shots 😀

ps: fixed the power button as well as it was somewhat broken.

Attachments

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 39405 of 52723, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-09, 12:47:

Fresh from the average user broken stuff is best, large proportion is actually functional, just misconfigured or something.

Exactly. Many sellers don't bother to check if it's missing a jumper or a chip, just sell them AS-IS. I'm not complaining though. 😁
Just got a socket 7 board that had the jumpers all messed up and the seller sold it as not working since he couldn't get it to work. Those are the sweetest deals.

Reply 39406 of 52723, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received my new-in-box InWin IW-V500T today (mATX mid-tower). Looks great and is ready for a retro build. PSU has a nice 5V rail, but I'll have to bench check it and take a look at the caps first.

Ioi1zweh.jpg

Q2F36TGh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 39407 of 52723, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2021-06-09, 19:28:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-09, 12:47:

Fresh from the average user broken stuff is best, large proportion is actually functional, just misconfigured or something.

Exactly. Many sellers don't bother to check if it's missing a jumper or a chip, just sell them AS-IS. I'm not complaining though. 😁
Just got a socket 7 board that had the jumpers all messed up and the seller sold it as not working since he couldn't get it to work. Those are the sweetest deals.

Nice. The motherboard in my current computer was sold for cheap because of bent / damaged pins in the CPU socket. Highest end ASUS workstation board for LGA 2011-3 and I got it for $100. Have a couple other LGA 2011-3 boards that didn't have near as much damage to the socket pins as this one. I actually had to McGuyver a new pin into place on this one from a replacement socket I bought from China.

I also really love getting retro/vintage hardware sold as-is and then it is either a super simple fix or it works like brand new from the get-go.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 39408 of 52723, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2021-06-09, 19:36:
Received my new-in-box InWin IW-V500T today (mATX mid-tower). Looks great and is ready for a retro build. PSU has a nice 5V rail […]
Show full quote

Received my new-in-box InWin IW-V500T today (mATX mid-tower). Looks great and is ready for a retro build. PSU has a nice 5V rail, but I'll have to bench check it and take a look at the caps first.

Ioi1zweh.jpg

Q2F36TGh.jpg

I had one of those in the 1990’s
It was very popular because of its clean look and it was inexpensive.
Probably under $50 but I don’t remember exactly how much it costs.
I still have one in my garage.
But I really don’t like the internals. Its not as well thought out like the Lian Li cases.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-06-09, 20:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 39409 of 52723, by Timecop1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a set of cards today. Two are Riva TNT (Gainward & STB Velocity 4400) for sure, but I don't know what the third is. Please can you help to identify it by photo?

Attachments

Reply 39411 of 52723, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-09, 19:44:

Nice. The motherboard in my current computer was sold for cheap because of bent / damaged pins in the CPU socket. Highest end ASUS workstation board for LGA 2011-3 and I got it for $100. Have a couple other LGA 2011-3 boards that didn't have near as much damage to the socket pins as this one. I actually had to McGuyver a new pin into place on this one from a replacement socket I bought from China.

I also really love getting retro/vintage hardware sold as-is and then it is either a super simple fix or it works like brand new from the get-go.

This could be a nice debate. Which one is better: pins on the mainboard or pins on the CPU?
I love that the CPUs got less sensitive, no more damaged pins!
Boards are more rare though so I don't know.

Reply 39413 of 52723, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2021-06-09, 21:02:
This could be a nice debate. Which one is better: pins on the mainboard or pins on the CPU? I love that the CPUs got less sensit […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-09, 19:44:

This could be a nice debate. Which one is better: pins on the mainboard or pins on the CPU?
I love that the CPUs got less sensitive, no more damaged pins!
Boards are more rare though so I don't know.

Older CPUs with less / thicker pins are better as pinned CPUs.

Newer stuff is better with pins in the socket. The newer pinned AMD CPUs are a nightmare to straighten pins on. It is also pretty easy to pull the CPU out with the cooler with pinned CPUs.

LGA CPUs/sockets completely eliminate the issue of being able to pull the CPU out of the socket when removing the cooler.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 39414 of 52723, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote on 2021-06-09, 17:43:

Yes, bought another SC-155 for cheap. It really did need some TLC though but the result is nice.

See the before and after shots 😀

ps: fixed the power button as well as it was somewhat broken.

Beautiful job!

Reply 39415 of 52723, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This arrived today. Realtek chipset so absolutely nt problem any old '90s OS. nz$5 plus postage.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 39416 of 52723, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Down the rabbit hole, step 1 ...

AMD_Am586-X5-133-lowres.jpg
Filename
AMD_Am586-X5-133-lowres.jpg
File size
270.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Just arrived!...

Finding a mainboard for building my theme system is proving impossible so far, but as these are becoming more rare and I got them for a good price i figured I'd get them before they're gone...

Now I have to keep diggin' for a board and every other piece 😜

Reply 39417 of 52723, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ADZ has higher temperature rating I think, how long will it take 7 volts on LN2 though? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 39418 of 52723, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-09, 23:26:

ADZ has higher temperature rating I think, how long will it take 7 volts on LN2 though? 🤣

yeap, I got that one to tinker and push it and the other one to "treasure it" 😜
Surely nothing spectacular around here, but hey, it was my first retro-purchase!

Reply 39419 of 52723, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These came in yesterday at lunch.

ASUS P2B, P2 400 SL3EE, Matrox G200, 40GB WDC.

Paid about $34 total.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB