New HW found!
1. Micropolis ST506 - 85MB - 1985 - 5.25" MFM HDD - full height. 900435-01-7B - Rated Input Power 32W!!! 😁 Someone opened the HDD for who knows what reason. The top platter is scraped a little but there is no r/w head there, so the chances are that it is still ok. I found some case screws that fit perfectly and after I gently used an air compressor to clean it, I put the lid on, never to be opened again. Ideally I would've needed some screws with a sunken head but these are good too and they also look the part. 😁 At first I thought that some exotic screws would be needed but in the end it was a case of regular chunky threaded screws. Well, a beast like this doesn't need flimsy stuff bolted to it. 😁
2. MagTron Inc MT-4170S - 170MB - 5.25" SCSI HDD - half height. 2 pieces
3. Gainward Silent Copper nVIDIA 6800GT PCI-E
4. Shuttle Spacewalker AK32V2.1 - VIA KT266 - The "good" chipset! 😁 Who in their right mind would prefer the KT266A?!?!??! 😁
5. Finally an ASROCK 4CoreDual-SATA2 REV. G/A 2.00
I tested the HDDs and they powered up nicely. For the SCSI HDDs I have a suitable motherboard and add-on cards to test them, but for the MFM HDD I have nothing to try it on. Read write heads activity could be heard.
After 30 minutes of running the sound they made became better and once they were "hot and toasty" I enjoyed them so much more. Music to my ears. 😁 Imagine running something like this every day. 😀