Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
265.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Micronics 09-00011 with 8 MB of RAM.

Without it this nice board from yesterdays lot...

IMG_0957r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0957r.jpg
File size
992 KiB
Views
File license

(Micronics 09-00021) would be completely useless and worthless.

However, the memory card has 72x 511000 RAMs. When I see one of these is sold for more than 1€ the deal was not that bad...

But I dont like to pay that much money for my Retro stuff...

Reply 22481 of 52700, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am somewhat skeptical that memory expansion card goes with that motherboard. Although they are both Micronics, the motherboard has an extra small connector at the end which will likely prevent the RAM card from being able to seat properly. I suspect the correct expansion card for your board should use SIMM slots according to the components on the board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22482 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I am somewhat skeptical that memory expansion card goes with that motherboard. Although they are both Micronics, the motherboard has an extra small connector at the end which will likely prevent the RAM card from being able to seat properly. I suspect the correct expansion card for your board should use SIMM slots according to the components on the board.

Hmm, hope you are not right. But they seem to fit. The 2 small connectors are open at the ends so you can put a card in (through) it. Its not a socket.

And according to
http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/micronics/900010.htm

"The 80386 I-Cache board is a full-sized (13.8" x 12.025") motherboard which took all of its memory as DRAM plugged into a proprietary 32-bit memory card. There are two versions of the I-Cache board, identified by part numbers 09-00010, and 09-00021, which are silk-screened on the component (top) side of the motherboard. The most common memory card used with the I-Cache board is the M500. This is part number 09-00011. The upper left corner has "385 Memory Board" silk-screened on many M500 cards.

Reply 22483 of 52700, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. So those two small connectors just hold the board in place? I guess if you have documents that list the part numbers they must work together. For the record, I have seen memory expansion cards that appear to use those tiny connectors.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22484 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IMG_0959r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0959r.jpg
File size
606.59 KiB
Views
File license

Thats what it looks like. When you take a closer look at the gold plate on the RAM board you see 3 scratches on it. So it seems the only sense is to connect all PINs together?

Reply 22486 of 52700, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:
I just received a beautiful Siemens Nixdorf PCD-4N in working condition with original bag and power brick. Specs as follows: […]
Show full quote

I just received a beautiful Siemens Nixdorf PCD-4N in working condition with original bag and power brick. Specs as follows:

- i486SX 25MHz
- 4 MB RAM
- 120 MB HDD
- 256 kB Video
- 640x480 monochrome LC display
- PCMCIA slot
- Slimline floppy drive

Looks preety sleek compared to some of its chunky competitors back in the day... 😉

That laptop exists under many brands, like the Dell 433c and the AST 700N:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 22488 of 52700, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade t […]
Show full quote

A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade to the larger bags. Ohhh yeah!

Now I have bags that are the right size for full-length ISA cards.

Just in time for the big lot of ISA sound cards that are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

7x15.JPG

Can you tell me where you bought them ? I struggle to find them for a good price.

Reply 22489 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
okenido wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade t […]
Show full quote

A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade to the larger bags. Ohhh yeah!

Now I have bags that are the right size for full-length ISA cards.

Just in time for the big lot of ISA sound cards that are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

7x15.JPG

Can you tell me where you bought them ? I struggle to find them for a good price.

eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-ESD-Anti-Static- … ls/122190284165

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22490 of 52700, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just paid 75€ for this board

Way too much for just unordinary 386DX board.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22491 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The large lot of ISA sound cards I ordered came in today.

one.jpg
Filename
one.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license

Opti, ESS, Crystal, and Diamond Technologies cards.

two.jpg
Filename
two.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

Opti cards, a MAD16 card, a yamaha YMF719E-S and a yamaha YMF718-S card

three.jpg
Filename
three.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license

3x, Sound Blaster 2.0 cards, one of which is CMS upgrade-able. The one labeled Sound Machine should also be upgrade-able if the sockets are added.
2x PAS16 cards
Opti card with Opti wavetable card and an unknown non-PnP sound/modem

four.jpg
Filename
four.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license

CMI8328 with Crystal wavetable, Adlib clone (PC Symphony)
2x GUS PnP clones (no RAM and no expansion) - what are these good for anyway without RAM
Mystery 8-bit card. Starting a separate thread for this as I am unable to find anything about this card other than the company that made it was Viacon
Last card is the sound/modem card in the previous picture.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22492 of 52700, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice ! Are you doing a collection ?

jmp.png
Filename
jmp.png
File size
347.52 KiB
Views
File license

OMG this is jumper hell !... Thankfully we don't have to deal with them in most stuff that came few years after.

Reply 22493 of 52700, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I was searching through my storage units in search of a certain motherboard I found a box full of "gold scrap" I bought a few years ago. It's CPUs and memory. I know I paid 1 euro each for the CPUs and well less for the memory. There was nothing in the lot I really needed so I diddn't bother to unpack the stuff and just put the it all in storage. I probably have more such boxes I have forgot about.

This evening I will finally sort through this lot.

A box full of gold scrap.JPG
Filename
A box full of gold scrap.JPG
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license

These are the CPUs, they seem to be in need of cleaning. There is also plenty of bent pins.

The CPUs.JPG
Filename
The CPUs.JPG
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 22494 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
okenido wrote:

Nice ! Are you doing a collection ?

jmp.png

OMG this is jumper hell !... Thankfully we don't have to deal with them in most stuff that came few years after.

I guess you could call it a collection. I am planning on starting up a web page and doing reviews of retro hardware.

This lot was bought without any idea other than 5-6 8-bit cards and the rest 16-bit.

I really should do a count to see how many different models of sound cards I have now. I have a few plastic bins full now and I need to get a couple more bins as I am out of space.

The jumpers are great on that card. There are even jumpers to disable the modem and sound portions of the card. I may have to take the sticker off the sound chip to see exactly what it is.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22495 of 52700, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is also plenty of bent pins.

Hours of pins straightening intensifies.

Reply 22496 of 52700, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

People selling cpus for gold scrap may not know about the retro trends ! They could take care of them not to bend any pins and sell them individually, they'd work 2 times less and earn 2 times more...

Reply 22497 of 52700, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
The large lot of ISA sound cards I ordered came in today. [...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

three.jpg

3x, Sound Blaster 2.0 cards, one of which is CMS upgrade-able. The one labeled Sound Machine should also be upgrade-able if the sockets are added.
2x PAS16 cards

That "unknown" thing could be rather interesting. It's a Prometheus Combo 121, whatever that is. No info I can find anywhere - but Prometheus Products pops up all over the place regarding the "ultra rare" Aria 16. If some of those chips under the stickers are by Sierra, you might have quite a find. Of course Prometheus was also very close with IBM in the mid 1990s, so it might just be an MWave...

Reply 22498 of 52700, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

People selling cpus for gold scrap may not know about the retro trends

Demand is usually not so high to bother with, at least nowhere near the levels of actual CPU stockpiles.

Reply 22499 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
The large lot of ISA sound cards I ordered came in today. [...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

three.jpg

2x PAS16 cards

That "unknown" thing could be rather interesting. It's a Prometheus Combo 121, whatever that is. No info I can find anywhere - but Prometheus Products pops up all over the place regarding the "ultra rare" Aria 16. If some of those chips under the stickers are by Sierra, you might have quite a find. Of course Prometheus was also very close with IBM in the mid 1990s, so it might just be an MWave...

Well, took the sticker off of the sound chip. It turns out is is an ESS 688F, so nothing really special.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK