Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24620 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I would say yes, I love Slot A myself. It's not the most stable platform though. Depends on the price in the end I think...

The motherboard is Socket A, not Slot.. I have Slot A CPUs but no Slot A board 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24622 of 52357, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I would say yes, I love Slot A myself. It's not the most stable platform though. Depends on the price in the end I think...

The motherboard is Socket A, not Slot.. I have Slot A CPUs but no Slot A board 🙁

That must have been wishful reading on my side 😀 Then I don't think it is a special set.

1982 to 2001

Reply 24623 of 52357, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a low offer on a Roland MT-32, did not expect to win but I got it. Tested it today, works just fine! Now I need to find a compatible power brick and then probably trade or sell it.

9zi0W9ll.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 24624 of 52357, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I made a low offer on a Roland MT-32, did not expect to win but I got it. Tested it today, works just fine! Now I need to find a […]
Show full quote

I made a low offer on a Roland MT-32, did not expect to win but I got it. Tested it today, works just fine! Now I need to find a compatible power brick and then probably trade or sell it.

9zi0W9ll.jpg

Lucky bugger 😀

Still, I shouldn't complain - I nabbed an MT-100 under similar circumstances not too long ago. Life has been so hectic that I haven't even had a chance to give it a decent test drive (although I saw/heard it working when I picked it up). Fortunately things are getting back to normal next week, so I look forward to comparing it (with the r1 MT-32 PCB) to my old r0 MT-32. And then also trade or sell it (or the MT-32) unless I really thing that difference is worth it.

Reply 24625 of 52357, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I made a low offer on a Roland MT-32, did not expect to win but I got it. Tested it today, works just fine! Now I need to find a […]
Show full quote

9zi0W9ll.jpg

You realize doing exactly what your planning to do is what is pricing anyone who isn't some rich man out of the better parts of the hobby right?

I'm guessing you plan to double your money or better?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 24626 of 52357, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Show full quote

9zi0W9ll.jpg

You realize doing exactly what your planning to do is what is pricing anyone who isn't some rich man out of the better parts of the hobby right?

Anyone can find things and make offers. If people want stuff for cheap and they also don't want to put forth the time and effort to find a good deal, they should have bought them years ago when they weren't collectible. Some of us spend a ton of time looking for this stuff.

It's no different than any other collectible. If someone has spent enough time doing this stuff to be able to find valuable items at lower prices, I don't see why they'd be any less free to do whatever they want with it versus someone who has no idea what it is and lists it on eBay and gets the same price. If they can use the money, sell it for a profit. If it'd make them happier to give it away completely for free, that's fine too.

It could be said that the people with all the money who spend whatever is necessary to get what they want are the cause of high prices. An MT32 is not an essential object in life and can in fact be emulated quite well if someone wants to experience the music without having to look or pay for it.

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2018-08-09, 05:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 24627 of 52357, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Show full quote

9zi0W9ll.jpg

Anyone can find things and make offers. If people want stuff for cheap and they also don't want to put forth the time and effort to find a good deal, they should have bought them years ago when they weren't collectible. Some of us spend a ton of time looking for this stuff.

It's no different than any other collectible. If someone has spent enough time doing this stuff to be able to find valuable items at lower prices, I don't see why they'd be any less free to do whatever they want with it versus someone who has no idea what it is and lists it on eBay and gets the same price. If they can use the money, sell it for a profit. If it'd make them happier to give it away completely for free, that's fine too.

Not everyone was in the hobby years ago. I didn't start collecting until late 2015 when everything had already spiked up in price.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 24628 of 52357, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Not everyone was in the hobby years ago. I didn't start collecting until late 2015 when everything had already spiked up in price.

Same here. I was into PCs when all this stuff was new but I didn't start collecting old stuff until 2016. I now have a rather large collection and I've never paid full eBay prices for any of my vintage hardware. The time that many spend watching TV in the evenings or cat videos on YouTube on their work breaks, I've partially spent scouring auction sites and digging through junk to either use or resell eventually.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 24629 of 52357, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Look better. 😀 Mislisted stuff, people giving away stuff for free, little used avenues (in the case of another hobby of mine: a webshop homepage that didn't look updated since about 2000, that maybe offered a mail-order option...turned out they certainly did, and so I got some old stuff for retail instead of inflated collector's prices 😘 )

Reply 24630 of 52357, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

<snip>

I also started in (late) 2015, so I am used to the higher prices. I have never bought anything specifically for reselling, this is the first time I bought something I don't actually want to use myself. THere are people that do that, and there is not much wrong with that. I also don't like the high prices, I would like to have a CT1350B and a GUS, but I will have to wait until I can find an affordable one, which might never happen.

Auction style selling will always push prices of wanted items up. What is wanted or not changes over time.

1982 to 2001

Reply 24631 of 52357, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My latest finds....

IMG_20180809.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180809.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Commodore 8032 before the rescue:

1000x700.jpg
Filename
1000x700.jpg
File size
141.72 KiB
Views
File license

Had to:
1 Repair the motherboard (dead 6502, VIA and 1 PIA, most of the 4116 and one 2114, several TTL ic's, plus one masked rom)
2 Repair the monitor (burned R753)
3 Repair the PSU (broken fuse holder)
4 Clean the keyboard ..... every single key, spring and actuator.
5 Proper cleaning and TLC

..... After all this "It's ALIVE"

Ps: Sorry for the late first post ....

Reply 24632 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to vogons! Also, the Commodore 8032 is amazing, and that's an amazing haul.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24633 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

There's always the option of offering a lower price. However, the market price that people are willing to pay is what the item is worth. You don't have to be a "rich guy" to afford 99% of what I've seen, even on Ebay in terms of retro computer parts. Building a retro computer with high end parts is still inexpensive compared to building a modern gaming PC. There are a few exceptions for parts that are extremely rare and/or prototypes -- the high price is justified since only a small number exist in the world. Many of us spend weeks/months/years scouring through electronics recycling bins or second hand stores to find rare parts, and sometimes even refurbishing the parts ourselves.. all this is factored into cost.

That said, it is no different than any other market outside of PC components. Once something has stopped being manufactured or the company no longer even exists, there are always people who will charge higher prices due to rarity -- or you can wait it out and find the item yourself the hard way, even if it takes years. This holds true for industrial equipment, cars, farm equipment, pens, literature, etc. I look for and buy parts all the time at work for equipment from the 1960's through the 1990's (a lot of it is computer related).. depending on the urgency of the need, sometimes I look for a year and call dozens of different facilities around the globe before I find something at all... at a price I don't like. But if it is absolutely needed, it will be paid because there are no other options, or very few other options that would cost more money in refurbishment to get working than you'd pay the high price for.

Last edited by wiretap on 2018-08-09, 15:21. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 24635 of 52357, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xicor wrote:
My latest finds.... […]
Show full quote

My latest finds....

IMG_20180809.jpg

The Commodore 8032 before the rescue:

1000x700.jpg

Had to:
1 Repair the motherboard (dead 6502, VIA and 1 PIA, most of the 4116 and one 2114, several TTL ic's, plus one masked rom)
2 Repair the monitor (burned R753)
3 Repair the PSU (broken fuse holder)
4 Clean the keyboard ..... every single key, spring and actuator.
5 Proper cleaning and TLC

..... After all this "It's ALIVE"

Ps: Sorry for the late first post ....

Puh...great job, congratulations!

Reply 24636 of 52357, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ordered an Optiplex GXa the other day. I'm trying to figure out what sound card this is... my guess is a CT1600.

SrptZ1cm.jpg

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 24637 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
Ordered an Optiplex GXa the other day. I'm trying to figure out what sound card this is... my guess is a CT1600. […]
Show full quote

Ordered an Optiplex GXa the other day. I'm trying to figure out what sound card this is... my guess is a CT1600.

SrptZ1cm.jpg

My guess is the Sound Blaster CT1350B.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24638 of 52357, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this container full of demo games ( PC, Playstation, Dreamcast )
at a local high school weekend flea market.
Over 100 disks.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    Filename
    002.jpg
    File size
    386.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 001.jpg
    Filename
    001.jpg
    File size
    74.6 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 24639 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Ordered an Optiplex GXa the other day. I'm trying to figure out what sound card this is... my guess is a CT1600. […]
Show full quote

SrptZ1cm.jpg

My guess is the Sound Blaster CT1350B.

Same here.. specifically, one with the 1336A chip (not CMS upgradeable). I've checked my cards and none of the CT1600 cards have engraving on the bracket and only the CT1350B cards with the 1336A chip had engraving.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK