VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26860 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had something delivered today that I didn't even know existed until I saw it for sale... and then tried to do some research on it.

It is an Intel CPU and I will edit this post once I am home and can try it out. It is something that was never released.

Anybody care to take a guess exactly what it is?

I've also got a bunch of more stuff I got recently that I haven't posted about either so I will try to post up more pics as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26861 of 52357, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tejas?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 26862 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:

Tejas?

Nope.. didn't know about that before either.

Anyway.. here is a hint. It is a specific model of CPU that was never released.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26863 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

How are those Terratec and Typhoon cards?

Im a huge Tereatec fan and that Xfire 1024 is the ultimate PCI card as far as I am concerned:

SB Pro compatibility? Check (Crystal FM)
Software Wavetable? Check (DLS)
Wavetable header? Check
Bug Free MPU401? Check
Low SNR? Check
A3D? Check
EAX? Check
SenseAura? Check
Surround? Check
Optical Out? Check

Santa Cruz is similar - faster DSP but no optical out (has an spdif header though)

Ttphoon, I havent tried yet.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26864 of 52357, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've picked up a few things since my last post in this thread, but I was thinking it'd be a good idea to look for another gameport to MIDI adapter while they're still somewhat available, since they are becoming scarce. I wanted a good, solid one so I figured it'd be worth looking at the MIDI kits sold in the 90s. I'd seen some Voyetra ones here and there but I didn't really want to pay $20 for one. Then this one popped up for $8 shipped and I grabbed it. The package for the MIDI adapter has never been opened and it is clearly much higher quality than the one I have. It actually has fully molded ends rather than those cheapo DIY type cables that have the plastic that clips over the end (this prevents my old cable from fitting tightly on most cards in most cases). The discs are in pristine condition, the manual is GIGANTIC and in great shape, the box is a little worn... but the awesome bonus I had no idea was included was this sweet year-2000 Voyetra\TurtleBeach catalog! It has two-page spreads for their entire lineup of Aureal based PCI cards! As a fan of Aureal Vortex cards, I thought this was really cool. There's even a page about a Turtle Beach Cancun MIDI daughterboard, which is pretty sweet. That has to be one of the last waveblaster compatible daughterboards to be advertised and sold.

0117191615 (1536x2048).jpg
Filename
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
0117191615a (2048x1536).jpg
Filename
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
0117191616 (2048x1536).jpg
Filename
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
0117191618b (2048x1536).jpg
Filename
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2019-01-18, 02:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 26865 of 52357, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
hard1k wrote:

Tejas?

Nope.. didn't know about that before either.

Anyway.. here is a hint. It is a specific model of CPU that was never released.

Pentium Pro 133? (only because I saw the engineering sample on Ebay)

Reply 26866 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Behold, the QX9750:

QX9750-top.JPG
Filename
QX9750-top.JPG
File size
416.56 KiB
Views
File license
QX9750-bottom.JPG
Filename
QX9750-bottom.JPG
File size
615.26 KiB
Views
File license

Somehow I don't think the BIOS is reading the operating speed correctly. It looks to be reading ~1333 x 9.5 instead of 333 x 9.5 ... weird.

BIOS.JPG
Filename
BIOS.JPG
File size
482.04 KiB
Views
File license

I was actually quite surprised to see the BIOS recognize the CPU model correctly since it was never even released and the only samples were supposedly given to people working at Intel. I've only been able to dig up a few mentions of this CPU.
Lot's of misinformation about it floating around unless there were different versions of it. Unlike the QX9770, it runs at 1333fsb instead of 1600fsb.

And one other thing that will fit in this post... an XFX 7950GT AGP - fastest AGP video card released by nVidia.

7950GT-AGP-front.jpg
Filename
7950GT-AGP-front.jpg
File size
710.97 KiB
Views
File license
7950GT-AGP-back.jpg
Filename
7950GT-AGP-back.jpg
File size
776.48 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26867 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I've picked up a few things since my last post in this thread, but I was thinking it'd be a good idea to look for another gamepo […]
Show full quote

I've picked up a few things since my last post in this thread, but I was thinking it'd be a good idea to look for another gameport to MIDI adapter while they're still somewhat available, since they are becoming scarce. I wanted a good, solid one so I figured it'd be worth looking at the MIDI kits sold in the 90s. I'd seen some Voyetra ones here and there but I didn't really want to pay $20 for one. Then this one popped up for $8 shipped and I grabbed it. The package for the MIDI adapter has never been opened and it is clearly much higher quality than the one I have. It actually has fully molded ends rather than those cheapo DIY type cables that have the plastic that clips over the end (this prevents my old cable from fitting tightly on most cards in most cases). The discs are in pristine condition, the manual is GIGANTIC and in great shape, the box is a little worn... but the awesome bonus I had no idea was included was this sweet year-2000 Voyetra\TurtleBeach catalog! It has two-page spreads for their entire lineup of Aureal based PCI cards! As a fan of Aureal Vortex cards, I thought this was really cool. There's even a page about a Turtle Beach Cancun MIDI daughterboard, which is pretty sweet. That has to be one of the last waveblaster compatible daughterboards to be advertised and sold.

Any chance that you may be able to scan this as PDF and upload to archive.org?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26868 of 52357, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I've picked up a few things since my last post in this thread, but I was thinking it'd be a good idea to look for another gamepo […]
Show full quote

Any chance that you may be able to scan this as PDF and upload to archive.org?

That's a good idea. Sadly, I actually don't have a flat bed scanner anymore... we got rid of our inkjet printers last year and now only have a Brother laser with no scanner. I almost kept one for this purpose alone but this is the first time it has come up in years. My phone takes a very nice picture but the edges always end up dark, so it probably wouldn't be the best option for this. Any suggestions?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 26869 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

That's a good idea. Sadly, I actually don't have a flat bed scanner anymore... we got rid of our inkjet printers last year and now only have a Brother laser with no scanner. I almost kept one for this purpose alone but this is the first time it has come up in years. My phone takes a very nice picture but the edges always end up dark, so it probably wouldn't be the best option for this. Any suggestions?

Does your work have copiers? If so, you should be able to scan to a USB stick at the very least if you don't have access to the scanner file share on the server.

Scanning stuff is not charged anything by the leasing company and/or supplies/maintenance company unless they have a really, really weird contract.

I'm currently an IT admin and have never seen any contract that charged anything for scanning.

I've scanned a ton of stuff that I needed to at my place of work. If in doubt, just ask.

Around here.. and pretty much anywhere in the USA, there are numerous shipping/printing places that have copiers as well. Not sure if they charge anything for you to just scan stuff. Never seen any pricing except for using the copiers to print/copy stuff.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26870 of 52357, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd force a printing company to eat any contract they attempted to put me on that would charge for scanning.

No way in hell I'd allow it here. That said, I am sure some places get shafted on this.

Reply 26871 of 52357, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:
Picked up my favorite PalmOS device EVER: Handera 330 […]
Show full quote

Picked up my favorite PalmOS device EVER: Handera 330

I was one of the beta testers for TRGPro and Handera 330, I was really delighted to find one, boxed and (possibly?) complete on Ebay. I paid way too much for it, but I'm pretty pleased anyway!

handerabox.jpg
handera.jpg

Long, long time ago, before Android....

Ah, the good old memories. I remember reading Jurassic Park using one of those.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 26873 of 52357, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

REVEAL Sound FX 32 Wave (SC600) (Ensoniq SoundScape S-2000 Clone) (2MB ROM) (Boxed) (1995)

X5GNTC.jpg
O8DTfU.jpg
b0pB4f.jpg
5iSXYy.jpg

Creative CT1910 (Creative Waveblaster II GamePak) (NOS) (1994)

gg6Fpn.jpg
VUpJ6S.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 26874 of 52357, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got my parcel, the two keyboards arrived safe and sound...

IMG_20190118_174602.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190118_174602.jpg
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license

The first one (not really visible in the background...) is a shitty Dacomex keyboard: it flat out doesn't work (all it does is wildly flash the lock LEDs and nothing else) I suspect it's a loose wire as it sometimes starts working if I slam it hard enough (and for some reason it has a turbo key)

The second (and the one I really wanted) is a Impulse KWD-205... No idea if it's rubber dome (it sounds like it's mechanical but when I popped a keycap off it looked like a rubber dome one thing is sure it makes a lot of noise) or whatever, it does looks like a Dell QuietKey... It was all caked in grime and whatnot stuff, and yes it's more yellowed than it looks in the pictures 😵 but hey! it works!

Along with the impulse KWD keyboard, the seller included a AT-DIN5 to PS/2 adapter cable.

IMG_20190118_174631.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190118_174631.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File comment
The AT DIN to PS/2 adapter
File license

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 26875 of 52357, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I've got a rather useful app on my phone called Camscanner that will convert pictures to pdf or leave as images and allows you to mess with colors a bit. I'd say if your phone makes dark edges, use the Camscanner to take a picture that's a bit of a larger field and then crop the extra out.

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 26876 of 52357, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:

I would use a PalmOS device TODAY if I could get wireless sync. It's still much faster to jot down memo, add an appointment, update a contact than Android OR Apple.

Can you synchronize your contacts with Google Contacts?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 26877 of 52357, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something caught my eye today in a pile of junk PCBs - A 386 motherboard! For the premium price of 3€ it came into my possession.

P_20190119_131120.jpg
Filename
P_20190119_131120.jpg
File size
592.07 KiB
Views
File license

Has an AMD dx40, 64K of cache. Cannot check if it works as I dont have any functional ISA video cards. I'm quite surprised the battery hasnt leaked at all.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26878 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

Something caught my eye today in a pile of junk PCBs - A 386 motherboard! For the premium price of 3€ it came into my possession.

P_20190119_131120.jpg

Has an AMD dx40, 64K of cache. Cannot check if it works as I dont have any functional ISA video cards. I'm quite surprised the battery hasnt leaked at all.

Looks like a lithium battery to me. Those don't generally ever leak.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26879 of 52357, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

P_20190119_131120.jpg

Nice. You can stick in an ISA Port 80 debugger and see BIOS activity even without video card. That said, a 386DX needs 30p SIMMs installed in identical quads, and this board has 2x one type, a third quite different one (visually, possibly it is electrically identical) and nothing in the fourth slot from the first bank, so you also need to get some SIMMs of you want this to boot.