Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24400 of 52354, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

I have one of these I been wanting to use for my old laptops that don't have a cdrom.
How does it work?
Can you setup a DOS boot disk or Windows 95/98 boot disk to load the driver for this device so you can boot from it with a boot disk ?

It has a special driver for use within pure DOS mode.
You boot to DOS, then run a LOADCD.BAT which loads the drivers and MSCDEX so you can use it in DOS before running the full install for it.

But you can't boot directly from the drive.

The reason I wanted this one is because it has a built in 16-bit sound card. Pretty sure it is ESS-1688 based which also means it has ESFM.
Sound is not usable from pure DOS, but still a good solution for running DOS games from within Windows.

There are also older models which had a sound card option. The sound driver is the same for all.[/quote]

Yes, I think you can customize a DOS or Win95/87 startup boot disk to load backpack drivers even if you have to use 2 or 3 floppy disk.
You can put a "Pause" command in the Autoexec.bat file and then swap out floppies and load more drivers.

Reply 24401 of 52354, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Hey, don't knock the inside you got there... […]
Show full quote
Murugan wrote:
Turbo -> wrote:

^^^^ That is a very nice case you got there Murugan. It would be a shame if it went to scrap.

Thanks! That's what I thought too. Probably will save some more in the years to come if he keeps getting this stuff.

After the test, I am going to put it away and when all my other projects are done,I'll give this baby a proper inside 😀

Hey, don't knock the inside you got there...

That rev 3.10 P55T2P4 is probably pretty much the ultimate Intel-chipset So7 board; with the extra tagRAM it can cache 512MB, with its tight HX EDO timings it can outperform a VX with SDRAM and come close to a TX, it can run K6+ CPUs (with (beta) BIOS support) etc.

Admittedly it would be better off in a late 1990s case rather than this one, but that's something worth the effort 😀

No worries 😀
Once it is tested (and working ofc), I am going to put it away until I find the time and money :p to switch the internals and find a more time-correct case for it. I believe I have the same board in the spares bin with an MMX 166 on it.

EDIT: tested it. CPU is a 6x86 166+ and CMOS is dead of course. Another one of these dreaded soldered on buggers! Now I have 3 boards to mod or let it mod.

Last edited by Murugan on 2018-07-23, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 24402 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISA PCMCIA adapter with drive bay, drive bay adapter, software, instructions, box.

rex5051 2.jpg
Filename
rex5051 2.jpg
File size
62.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Suposedly this one should also be Win 3.x-compatible (if I can find the drivers; this is the Windows 95 version). Bought to replace the PCI version I bought for my NEC machine that didn't fit due to the NEC's PCI slot and case spacing being off. Although I now will have to sort out the cable mess in that machine...

Reply 24403 of 52354, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jetway J-656VXC Socket 7 motherboard with AMD-K5 PR100, 32mb. ram. , Intel Chipset. Award bios.

Attachments

Reply 24405 of 52354, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dell UltraSharp U2412M. I think any monitor that can do 1200 vertical resolution is considered retro, especially since every modern crap made by Samsung and LG are either 1080p or 4k.

s-l1600.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24407 of 52354, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

ISA PCMCIA adapter with drive bay, drive bay adapter, software, instructions, box.

rex5051 2.jpg

Suposedly this one should also be Win 3.x-compatible (if I can find the drivers; this is the Windows 95 version). Bought to replace the PCI version I bought for my NEC machine that didn't fit due to the NEC's PCI slot and case spacing being off. Although I now will have to sort out the cable mess in that machine...

Can yoı post closer pica of tje card? I habe the same PCMCIA bay but no controller cars. Curious şf a simpşe IDE controller does the trick..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24408 of 52354, by JLPedro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Dell UltraSharp U2412M. I think any monitor that can do 1200 vertical resolution is considered retro, especially since every modern crap made by Samsung and LG are either 1080p or 4k.

And it does 15Khz and 50Hz on the VGA input .

Reply 24409 of 52354, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dell UltraSharp U2412M. I think any monitor that can do 1200 vertical resolution is considered retro, especially since every mod […]
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg

This is my primary monitor for my current desktop setup. 16:10 aspect ratio is just superior, not retro. 😜

Reply 24410 of 52354, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this lot of 8 as-is motherboards on the super cheap. It'll still be a good deal even if only half of them work.

Judging from the auction photos I got the following:

• Abit SE6 i815E Socket 370 (bulging caps + mystery CPU)
    Gigabyte GA-6BXC 440BX Slot 1
    Gigabyte GA-7IX AMD750 Slot A
    Tekram P5T30-B4E 430TX AT Socket 7
    ??? 430VX AT Socket 7 (x2)
    ??? 430TX AT Socket 7
    ??? 430TX ATX Socket 7 (Looks like OEM or intel)

I can't identify a few of the socket 7 boards. I'll have a busy day of testing when these arrive.

Attachments

Reply 24411 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

rex5051 2.jpg

Can yoı post closer pica of tje card? I habe the same PCMCIA bay but no controller cars. Curious şf a simpşe IDE controller does the trick..

I haven't received it yet. AFAIK the card uses a special double connector (2x a double pin header). As the bay has room for two PCMCIA cards I guess each PCMCIA card gets its own header.

Reply 24412 of 52354, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Katmai500 wrote:

<removed picture>

This is my primary monitor for my current desktop setup. 16:10 aspect ratio is just superior, not retro. 😜

And also my primary monitor for my current desktop setup. It's pretty decent.

1982 to 2001

Reply 24413 of 52354, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a Voodoo 2 locally. Didn't really need it, but I made a low offer (10 euro) and got it. It's untested.

ERLiL3El.jpg?1

The seller decided to throw in something extra, a cool thin client (new in box):

VIA Eden 1GHz/1.2GHz
Chipsets CN700 and VT8237R+
128 MB Ram, 64MB CompactFlash
http://www.computex.biz/termtek/default.aspx? … ab=Introduction

Nice! No idea what to use it for though.

EdoLchPl.jpg

iwMhnLul.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 24414 of 52354, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We have a ton of these Igel Thin Clients at work. I've been deliberating about just taking one.

Igel_5310_grau.jpg

I got a Toshiba Tecra 510CDT off Ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

Here it is quite dirty, but it cleaned up real pretty already.

What a nice machine, this great, gray tombstone. The internal fan is loud enough to raise the gods, and it appears to always run at full speed. I tried the BIOS settings but to no avaiI but also found a replacement (what are the odds?), but I'm wondering if I can get away with just killing it with the Toshiba Utilities for now. Maybe not a smart move on a Pentium 133 MHz during the biggest heatwave in 50 years? I'll keep messing with this, anyway 😀

Reply 24415 of 52354, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:

I got a Toshiba Tecra 510CDT off Ebay.

Here it is quite dirty, but it cleaned up real pretty already.

What a nice machine, this great, gray tombstone. The internal fan is loud enough to raise the gods, and it appears to always run at full speed. I tried the BIOS settings but to no avaiI but also found a replacement (what are the odds?), but I'm wondering if I can get away with just killing it with the Toshiba Utilities for now. Maybe not a smart move on a Pentium 133 MHz during the biggest heatwave in 50 years? I'll keep messing with this, anyway 😀

I really like this kind of laptops. Did it come with Windows 95 and the Toshiba software installed?
Also you should check the BIOS batteries, they tend to leak and damage the internals.

Reply 24416 of 52354, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
peido wrote:

I really like this kind of laptops. Did it come with Windows 95 and the Toshiba software installed?
Also you should check the BIOS batteries, they tend to leak and damage the internals.

It came with a fresh Windows 98 install but no Toshiba Utilities. I will try those later and see what can be done about the fan.

CMOS battery seems to keep time for now, but I have ordered a new one nonetheless. There are a couple of other issues.

- trackpoint and 1st mouse button rubber is toast (might try to replace those)
- screen has a tiny scratch (no big deal, might do something about it after some research)
- power button is loose (common issue, needs to be glued back in place afaik)
- couldn't get PCMCIA Cardbus USB 2.0 card to work so far (this appears to be common, might just do PCMCIA CF adapter or IDE-to-CF "hard disk")

Reply 24419 of 52354, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never seen one of those in box. That must be worth a fortune.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium