Reply 27840 of 52719, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vynix wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Speaking of Apple design. I think the PowerPC design from the mid-90's are were Apple made the most awesomme design. Like model 61xx, 52xx and 72xx model's. Especially the pizzabox 61xx machines. Anyway... I like the design of those machines. What is inside is of less interest to me. I am simply not an Apple guy. The Cube is not bad designed eighter. Or the model that looks like one of those architect lamps. That is a beautifull design, yet not as good looking as those 52xx/61xx/72xx machines.

I like the Power Macs 9600 and 9500, but the enclosure is very plasticy and they discolorate like a white Englishman baking in the Spanish sun 😵

Not to mention that plastic gets brittle as rotten paper,, one wrong move and crack you can bring out the MEK

Yup. The downside to any early to mid-90's plastic. And some of the 80's as well. But what can one do? They were only designed to last 12 moth's max, because things moved so quickly. I saw an interview with Greg Berlin the other day, in were he explained that we was happy to see that people still use the Amiga4000, wich he designed most of. He was asked if he had anything prototypish left from those years, and he explained that he might have a box with a few cards somewere in the garage or in the basement or something. And he explained that it never thought that these machines would be running after all these years. He said that back in the early 90's, things just moved so quickly that they thought computers would only last some 6/12 month's before they should be replaced.

It is this interview. Really awesomme dude, that I want to meet at some point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91OpJHpu2F0

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27841 of 52719, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The HP Internet Advisor I bought arrived early this morning, just before I was going to head off for the day. Only took a couple of pics since I had to head off.

Will try it out this weekend!

pak8Jd8l.jpgPdDt85Wl.jpgSJmNrjFl.jpgUTnYifVl.jpg6naOyg9l.jpg64mryaJl.jpg SWqIYsRl.jpgFxRMoGVl.jpg

Who doesn't love ridiculous niche use portable PCs? 🤣

Reply 27842 of 52719, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

One thing that gets me upset or PO'd is the item says ships via USPS and the seller ships it via FedEx or another company.

ebay.PNG

No, this is actually correct. Parcel Select means that the item is shipped using USPS, whichi is then handed off to FedEx for delivery.

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/art … -Select-Ground-

Reply 27843 of 52719, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vynix wrote:

[...]

Not to mention that plastic gets brittle as rotten paper,, one wrong move and crack you can bring out the MEK

Yep. Having fun with my SparcStation in that regard. Just lost two DSIMM eject handles, they just crumbled under my fingers.

Good reason to be messing with them though - this arrived today:
full.jpg

4x 64MB DSIMM and an ST M48T08 RTC (Sun equivalent of a Dallas)

That bumps my SparcStation 20 up to 320MB of RAM, and the RTC means it knows who it is again, at least, who I told it to be:

full.jpg
(no, I wasn't feeling very creative with my hex)

Also was going mad with HDD noise. Turns out the HDDs themselves weren't even the biggest problem, a tiny 40mm fan made more noise than the two SCA-SCSI monsters together. Looking for my sewing machine oil as we speak. Even with this beast disconnected, the HDDs were still LOUD, so I replaced both with a 9.1GB Seagate Cheetah 10k I had knocking around, which was not only much faster but - amazingly - made less noise than either one of the old HDDs - they really were loud 😵

Basically I'm about ready to install Solaris now. Still uncertain about which version, either 2.5 or 2.6 (yes, this thing runs 9, but it did so very slowly with two SuperSparc II CPUs and I now only have one SuperSparc I)

Reply 27844 of 52719, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Vynix wrote:

[...]

Yep. Having fun with my SparcStation in that regard. Just lost two DSIMM eject handles, they just crumbled under my fingers.

Ah yeah this happened with my LS-120 drive.. Had to glue the crap out of the clips... And just to err on the safe side, I put a bit of tape to hold the front bezel (weeeelll I got that particular LS-120 drive years ago and it costed 80 euros, and yes that is the price shipping included 😵 and I ain't find one any time soon) the wafer-thin clips snapped one by one but thankfully I could glue them back save for the one facing the PCB (I lost it... But it's not a problem)

But anyways back on topic, speaking of hardware that I bought (not exactly today, but a few weeks, I am rather absent minded tho), I pulled the trigger on a iMac G3 (pardon my choice but I like the design of the G3) DV 400MHz (Lime green of course), I hope it won't crumble to dust if I dare moving it (it's from 1999) got it for 45 euros (iMacs G3s are getting rare in my area. When I saw this one I couldn't pass the opportunity, I had an Indigo one but...) and as a bonus, the seller left a copy of the original Diablo on it (I'm always a go-getter when it comes to retro games 😜)

Next up after I get it, will be a eMac G4 1.42 GHz (soon™ don't have the money right now, and I never had an eMac before, I did had a Indigo g3 that was on its last legs, back when OSX 10.4 was still being updated by Apple.. Man time goes so fast...)

As usual, pictures once I get my hands on it... That imac in particular is in pristine condition, it has the matching keyboard but the original hockey puck mouse isn't included (seller don't have it). And yeah it had been very lightly used, the plastic isn't even yellowed. It is spotless!

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 27845 of 52719, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Speaking of Apple design. I think the PowerPC design from the mid-90's are were Apple made the most awesomme design. Like model 61xx, 52xx and 72xx model's. Especially the pizzabox 61xx machines. Anyway... I like the design of those machines. What is inside is of less interest to me. I am simply not an Apple guy. The Cube is not bad designed eighter. Or the model that looks like one of those architect lamps. That is a beautifull design, yet not as good looking as those 52xx/61xx/72xx machines.

I like the Power Macs 9600 and 9500, but the enclosure is very plasticy and they discolorate like a white Englishman baking in the Spanish sun 😵

The 8500/9500 have very brittle plastic, the 8600/9600 don't.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 27846 of 52719, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

6dR1FRF.jpg

Got myself a SB Live! SB0060 which should be same as Live! 5.1 Platinum, will be interesting to pit it against my Audigy to see if game compatibility is any different.
Also a 2nd Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD, I use this card in my main winXP/win7 dualboot PC and I love it, best sound card ever imho. This will be a spare, I'll put it in an antistatic bag and keep it in storage in case something happens to my main

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 27847 of 52719, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ nice one, my main soundcard is a Forte 7.1

I also got some stuff:

tD4TBp6l.jpg

one of the v5 fans are dead, I need to replace both with better ones IMHO

I got this card some time ago, sadly the OPL4 is only usable under windows... I just noticed the Russian 74LS chips, weird

HBJuZU0l.jpg

and a "simpler" version using the same mozart controller

4SS8kYpl.jpg

I don't think the OTI chipset is particularly good though 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27848 of 52719, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

got an Optiplex 330 for cheap, E4500 2GB RAM. tossed in a 640GB HD, will upgrade to 4GB RAM, Q8400, ATI FirePro V4800

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 27849 of 52719, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote:
That's weird, I loathe USPS since they can't deliver a package without running it over with the truck first and shipping it thro […]
Show full quote

That's weird, I loathe USPS since they can't deliver a package without running it over with the truck first and shipping it through 7 unnecessary states. 😵

Anyhow, here's my latest purchase.. Asus GeForce 4 Ti 4600 V8460ULTRA. Seller photo, looks like it has had the cooler replaced with an OEM GeForce4 cooler -- which I'll swap out for a Thermaltake G4-VGA cooler and RAM heatsinks. My last GeForce4 Ti 4600 I bought was DoA, so hopefully this one works. I got it for under $40 w/ 8% Ebay Bucks and it claims it is tested/working from a 30-day money back return policy.
4USR7wVl.jpg

Nice pickup! I think it looks good with the OEM nVidia heatsink/fan - definitely better than the weird round cooler ASUS put on these cards. Though that stock fan is pretty loud.

Reply 27850 of 52719, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a MSI P45 Neo to match it with an Xeon E5450. I bricked my P5W-DH deluxe with some obscure bios :p I doubt the board could even work with the CPU. Luckily I found a replacement BIOS chip too, so I can sell it.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 27851 of 52719, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:
Vynix wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

The 8500/9500 have very brittle plastic, the 8600/9600 don't.

Interesting...
I recently got a load of old Macs. There were two 6100s. Their plastics stuff just crumbled and popped like mad. I threw them away after seeing that many people try to sell their well-working 6100s for almost nothing, and nobody takes them. Kept only drives, CPU, a few memory chips and the power button, as it seems to sell for crazy, at $30 just for a maybe 1g piece of plastics.

I kept a G3 beige tower and a 9600, both with the top end processors of their lines.
The first one works fine, but the plastics... ouch!
While the 9600 doesn't do anything when turned on (no video, no sound), its' plastics are 100% good - I can confirm.
However I haven't managed to make the 9600 work yet. It is the last machine that can run OS 7.5 so I haven't thrown it away. When I have got some time, I'll get it out of the storage again and try find out what is wrong.
In case it turns out beyond repair, I'll just take the plastics from the 9600 and put it on the G3 beige tower.

Reply 27852 of 52719, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Katmai500 wrote:
wiretap wrote:

Anyhow, here's my latest purchase.. Asus GeForce 4 Ti 4600 V8460ULTRA. Seller photo, looks like it has had the cooler replaced with an OEM GeForce4 cooler

Nice pickup! I think it looks good with the OEM nVidia heatsink/fan - definitely better than the weird round cooler ASUS put on these cards. Though that stock fan is pretty loud.

Some of the ASUS V8460 ULTRA's came with a full copper heatsink covering both the gpu and the ram chips:

v84.JPG
Filename
v84.JPG
File size
77.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27853 of 52719, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amiga Merlin Graphics card within a lot of PC stuff. Was not that cheap but quite OK.
Did a quick test in my A2000 but displayed nothing. Anybody knows if a driver is required to activate this?

IMG_2473r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2473r.jpg
File size
975.27 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_2474r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2474r.jpg
File size
173.72 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27854 of 52719, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ seems this card is supported in Picasso96 did you install it? You can get the original drivers/install disks here: http://amiga.resource.cx/search.pl?product=merlin

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27856 of 52719, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

No didnt install anything so far. Always difficult to transfer files. Therfore i cannot expect a picture alter powering on without driver? Sorry i am no amiga Expert at all...

You bought an expensive piece of hardware for a system you don't know how to operate?

Reply 27857 of 52719, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

No didnt install anything so far. Always difficult to transfer files. Therfore i cannot expect a picture alter powering on without driver? Sorry i am no amiga Expert at all...

Yep until you install picasso96 so that it adds screenmodes in prefs/screenmode you won't get anything from the card

Reply 27858 of 52719, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:

You bought an expensive piece of hardware for a system you don't know how to operate?

Was not that expensive as it was not labeled as "Amiga". Whats the problem here, I dont have any experience with Amiga and like to have a quick check if this card works without spending too much time which is very limited at the moment.

Do I need to be an expert before I am allowed to buy something? :-p

I have an A2000 which I fixed on my own and this card seems to fit well in it.

keropi wrote:

Yep until you install picasso96 so that it adds screenmodes in prefs/screenmode you won't get anything from the card

Thanks Keropi, then I will do this... 😀

Reply 27859 of 52719, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Do I need to be an expert before I am allowed to buy something? :-p

No, of course not. What's important is, that it works or meets your expectations and that you think you made a good deal.