Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22680 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
Anybody want to take guesses as to what is in this industrial rack mount case? […]
Show full quote

Anybody want to take guesses as to what is in this industrial rack mount case?

Was sold with no other description than "Industrial rack mount computer".

I have an idea of what vintage hardware might be in there but would like to see a few other guesses before it arrives.
[...]

Even if there isn't any hardware in it that I can use, it should be a good case for my 386DX-40 SBC build that I still need a case for.

And for the price, it was almost worth it just for the case itself.

Do you have a pic of the back to be sure it's not ATX after all?

Otherwise I'd agree with the SCSI guess, but given how new that floppy looks I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a Pentium of some description. Also, possibly PICMG backplane with SBC...

Reply 22681 of 52730, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

but given how new that floppy looks I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a Pentium of some description.

New? The eject button on that floppy is actually very old-styled.

Reply 22682 of 52730, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote:
Just got this for about $40 - It doesn't come with a case cover, but I think I can make one from a larger tower case - friend ha […]
Show full quote

Just got this for about $40 - It doesn't come with a case cover, but I think I can make one from a larger tower case - friend has a machine shop 😉

Otherwise, parts computer.

eTM8NGdl.jpg

I have this exact case. Case cover isn't removable on mine — it uses a swivel mechanism, so you just pop it open, without any screws. So unfortunately making another cover might be a bit tricky.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22683 of 52730, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Anybody want to take guesses as to what is in this industrial rack mount case? […]
Show full quote

Anybody want to take guesses as to what is in this industrial rack mount case?

Was sold with no other description than "Industrial rack mount computer".

I have an idea of what vintage hardware might be in there but would like to see a few other guesses before it arrives.
[...]

Even if there isn't any hardware in it that I can use, it should be a good case for my 386DX-40 SBC build that I still need a case for.

And for the price, it was almost worth it just for the case itself.

Do you have a pic of the back to be sure it's not ATX after all?

Otherwise I'd agree with the SCSI guess, but given how new that floppy looks I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a Pentium of some description. Also, possibly PICMG backplane with SBC...

Nope, the pic I posted was the only pic given by the seller.

I'm guessing it is a PICMG setup with SBC... but it could be AT or ATX as well. A lot of rackmount cases have swap-able backs so you can mount whatever you want in it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22685 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My awesome corner gaming shop was having a sale today, so I traded in some Dreamcast dupes (including a spare console) and walked out with this for about $16 out of pocket (not the laptop.) If you were thinking about getting into original Xbox stuff, now's a great time.

xthebox.jpg
Filename
xthebox.jpg
File size
520.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note that I have no intention of actually playing "Splinter Cell." Some googling around will tell you what it's for. 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22686 of 52730, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

"Splinter Cell."

I see what you did there 🙄

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22687 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...aaaaand I got SUCH a good deal on the rest of the Xbox package, that I went on Ebay and accidentally one of the best games on the system. (That's not a great price, but it's fair, and it had a BIN and free non-international shipping, so... win. I was pretty surprised to find a copy free of the usual Ebay gouge right away.)

Srandista wrote:
xjas wrote:

"Splinter Cell."

I see what you did there 🙄

What did I do there?? Put the name of the game in quotes?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22689 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I made a pun or something I'm completely not aware of it! Splinter Cell has a save file exploit used to jailbreak the system.

Reply 22693 of 52730, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

If I made a pun or something I'm completely not aware of it! Splinter Cell has a save file exploit used to jailbreak the system.

The only time I used a game disc for something other than the game on that system was to upgrade the Xbox to its last and latest firmware since you could not download it from Xbox Live anymore. It was a late release sports game of some sort. I was unaware of the Splinter Cell vulnerability, but the original Xbox has a great mod community for sure. I was big into the whole Steel Battalion thing when it was released. Still my favorite mech game to date by far.

Reply 22694 of 52730, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

What did I do there?? Put the name of the game in quotes?

Nothing, I just knew, what do you want to use this game for, even without Googling 😀

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22695 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Day zero game reviews, just because I know you guys care.

OutRun 2: 10/10 - glorious cheese
Soul Calibur 2: 10/10 - button mashing perfection
Splinter Cell: n/a - it's a mod tool
Burnout Revenge: 1/10 - stop ripping me out of the race to show cutscenes
Sega GT: haven't played it yet
Jet Set Radio Future: 35/10 - this should just be all the games

(Believe it or not, this is a completely new system for me, never even played on one before! Although I've played the hell out of the original Soul Calibur & JSR.)

On that note, "The Duke" gigantic original controller: 10/10 - agreeable behemoth

liqmat wrote:

[...] but the original Xbox has a great mod community for sure. I was big into the whole Steel Battalion thing when it was released. Still my favorite mech game to date by far.

The mad homebrew scene is why I grabbed one. I was originally thinking of getting a Wii so I could port my game to it, then I started looking into the huge modding scene on this thing instead and realized it made a billion times more sense. You can even convert a retail one to a dev kit with a little work. Plus, the Xbox's games library is just way more appealing to me - I was a Dreamcast kid back in the day, so awesome to have its spiritual successor.

Not to mention Xbox titles are diiiiiiirt cheap right now; the pawn & thrift shops are flooded with them. The most expensive one I got today (excepting Panzer Dragoon) was eight bucks.

That Steel Battalion controller setup looks mental! Would love to give it a try some day, but I so don't have room for one in my living room. 😜

Reply 22696 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jimpqfly wrote:

Hi guys, I just received a Trident TGUI9440A 2MB and a Cirrus Logic GD5429 both in Vesa Local Bus (I already had a 5428).

Anywhere I could find some benchmarks?

Depends what OS you want to use them with and what kind of apps/games. 3DBench2 is a generic DOS-based VGA benchmark you could try.

Reply 22697 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jimpqfly wrote:

Hi guys, I just received a Trident TGUI9440A 2MB and a Cirrus Logic GD5429 both in Vesa Local Bus (I already had a 5428).

Anywhere I could find some benchmarks?

I hate all of you you who can find affordable VLB graphics cards.. 😠

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22698 of 52730, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I hate all of you you who can find affordable VLB graphics cards.. 😠

Hey, I worked my ass off getting up early each weekend to hunt down stuff at the local market. Been doing it for about 16 months and I found a grand total of 3 VLB cards. A CL, a Trident and a multi I/O card.

Reply 22699 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today started out crappy, but I think I sorted some karma out as it just took a big turn for the better. Just agreed to pick up an "old vintage computer" tomorrow evening. It's an AT minitower (that alone is worth the drive+price), with some Seasonic PSU. The tower looks seriously old (or at least with a design dating back to ±1990 - it could just be industrial retro-chic 😉 ), but the contents aren't. However they're no less interesting: if the photographs don't deceive me, the case contains a PICMG backplane with an early-ish Pentium 4 SBC (PATA, DDR1 and either So423 or So478). And a DVDRW, floppy and multi-card reader (looking bone white and totally out of place in that case).

Now, I'm not really into P4-era stuff, but enough others are. And I had been looking for an affordable PICMG backplane that would fit into an AT case for an ancient Wyse 386 system I want to resurrect. So it seems I just found one, it just happens to be complete with case and other contents 😀