Topic actions

Reply 22960 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Back in the day, I had a thing that was supposed to help overclocking socket 7 CPUs. Basically, you slid it on the CPU pins before putting the CPU in the socket. All it was was a thin plate with a bunch of extra smd capacitors on it. Guessing it was supposed to help make the power going to the CPU cleaner. Not sure if it actually helped or not.

If it had power to it the it was probably a peltier cooler.
I remember those being sold for that back then. (With a lot of hype.)

No, the old thing I had wasn't a peltier. I still have a 30w peltier that I was using back then. A 30w peltier is too powerful for an AMD K6-2 BTW. It will ice the CPU and a few inches of the board all around the CPU.

It was literally a very thin circuit board with smd capacitors in the middle where the CPU pins weren't that you slid onto the CPU pins before you inserted into the socket. I got rid of it the lat time I took it off a CPU because it got messed up. Kinda wish I would have kept it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22961 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Guessing it was supposed to help make the power going to the CPU cleaner.

Looks like a separate VRM, probably with voltage jumpers somewhere. I think you can fit Pentium MMX or AMD K6-2 into motherboard without split-rail voltage (430FX) with this thing.

That would be interesting.. though it does say it can handle pushing 22 amps through it. The box claims it is for sokcet 7 and super socket 7 so I am guessing it is mainly meant to supply extra amperage for motherboards that can't handle what the CPU needs.

I wonder if it could also be a potential "fix" for boards where the CPU power circuit is faulty.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22962 of 52357, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

No, the old thing I had wasn't a peltier. I still have a 30w peltier that I was using back then. A 30w peltier is too powerful for an AMD K6-2 BTW. It will ice the CPU and a few inches of the board all around the CPU.

It was literally a very thin circuit board with smd capacitors in the middle where the CPU pins weren't that you slid onto the CPU pins before you inserted into the socket. I got rid of it the lat time I took it off a CPU because it got messed up. Kinda wish I would have kept it.

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing something like that.
Did it have any form of electrical connection at all?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 22963 of 52357, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

^^ Interesting, that looks exactly like this Gigabyte board. Yours has a few more caps (hope they're not GSC, heh) but there are blank solder pads in those locations on the Gigabyte. What was it marketed as?

Same VIA chipset with the 82C686B southbridge, naturally, so hopefully it has the DOS-compatible sound options in the BIOS. If not you can probably flash it to the Gigabyte one.

Thanks for looking that up xjas, saved me some time. Used the Gigabyte GA-6VTXE motherboard manual to setup the front panel pins properly. 🤣 Yeah, that is the exact same board layout ripped off from Gigabyte with a few tweaks here and there, but hey, it's factory new and I am pretty stoked about that. As far as the caps quality, could care less. I am ordering about three of the boards and if some caps go over the next few years, I replace them. Not too worried about it. Although, I have had some cheap caps last me over a decade and some quality caps go within months. Of course, that is usually the exception and not the norm, but I really don't get too worked up about it.

Reply 22964 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a couple of boards and cards at junk prices, seller genuinely didn't test anything.. One of the things in the lot was this Voodoo 3 card:

3dfx Voodoo 3 Damaged.JPG
Filename
3dfx Voodoo 3 Damaged.JPG
File size
89.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I can slap on a suitable cooler on it and try to see if it works, but from the potato photo I believe the crystal to the left of the GPU is loose? How hard would that be to replace?

Also, anyone know what make/model this Socket 370 board may be? Just got it because it looks like an i815 with integrated audio and sound, in mATX form factor, so might make a decent small Win98 build some day..

Unidentified P3 Board.JPG
Filename
Unidentified P3 Board.JPG
File size
238.59 KiB
Views
File license

Also, still trying to figure out the make/model of this 486 board I am expecting in the mail.. real cache? fake cache?

Unidentified 486 Motherboard.JPG
Filename
Unidentified 486 Motherboard.JPG
File size
258.84 KiB
Views
File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22965 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
@Artex. Very nice. Now I am sure I should have bought a house with a basement. […]
Show full quote

@Artex. Very nice. Now I am sure I should have bought a house with a basement.

Edit: I have this bizarre item on the way.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Back in the day, I had a thing that was supposed to help overclocking socket 7 CPUs. Basically, you slid it on the CPU pins before putting the CPU in the socket. All it was was a thin plate with a bunch of extra smd capacitors on it. Guessing it was supposed to help make the power going to the CPU cleaner. Not sure if it actually helped or not.

BOO! you were the one bidding against me! I wanted it for my ibm model 95. 🙁

its ok though. I didn't have the cash to continue.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22966 of 52357, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up this PSU with no idea whether it works or not. Any way to test it without plugging it into a board?

psuCD.jpg
Filename
psuCD.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
cd.jpg
Filename
cd.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

I could not pass up this unique looking CD drive. Sadly, it looks as though it might require a specific sound card to work properly. I will research it more when I finish my current project. It also has something rattling in it which I believe to be a ball bearing from the slider.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 22967 of 52357, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twilliamc wrote:

I picked up this PSU with no idea whether it works or not. Any way to test it without plugging it into a board?

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

Pin PS_ON to ground and run it through a battery of testing (ripple, regulation, transient; whatever you have equipment for). You may require some resistive load to stabilize the supply.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22968 of 52357, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

You may require some resistive load to stabilize the supply.

I keep some busted HDD's (bad sectors but still spin fine) around for that.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 22970 of 52357, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's an AT PSU (you can see the power switch in the photo), so there's no need to trigger PS_ON. Just plug some (non-critical) HDDs in and turn it on.

Reply 22971 of 52357, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:

That's an AT PSU (you can see the power switch in the photo), so there's no need to trigger PS_ON. Just plug some (non-critical) HDDs in and turn it on.

Load may still be needed.
It's a Bestec so a fire extinguisher might be handy. [JK]

Reply 22972 of 52357, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:

Busted. I didn't even really look at the picture. Serves me right for assuming.

Bestec supplies aren't all terrible. Those flawed 250W 12e jobs with the obsolete SB topology and shit secondary caps were not exemplary of their entire run, unlike true purveyors of gutless wonders. Even on the bad units, the performance on other rails wasn't that horrible. Of course, that didn't matter considering the way the SB rail tended to overshoot and nuke out the south bridge.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22973 of 52357, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:

Busted. I didn't even really look at the picture. Serves me right for assuming.

Bestec supplies aren't all terrible. Those flawed 250W 12e jobs with the obsolete SB topology and shit secondary caps were not exemplary of their entire run, unlike true purveyors of gutless wonders. Even on the bad units, the performance on other rails wasn't that horrible. Of course, that didn't matter considering the way the SB rail tended to overshoot and nuke out the south bridge.

That's why the [JK] there at the end.
The chipset blowing Bestec problem children were ATX anyway.

As I recall the problem wasn't exclusive to 250W and rev 12e though.
Those just got the most press because they were widely used in HP/Compaq, eMachines, Gateway.......

Reply 22974 of 52357, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twilliamc wrote:

Oh nice. I recapped almost that exact model last year. It powers a 486DX2-66 now.

Replaced the fan, too. That old sucker was pretty darn loud.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22975 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Just with some of the CPU pins. There was no external power connection.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22976 of 52357, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Just with some of the CPU pins. There was no external power connection.

That's what I meant, or was guessing.
Sounds like it tapped the CPU pins for power/ground and added additional filter caps.
I would be the same idea as adding more caps in the bottom of the socket or on bottom side of the CPU for newer CPUs.
Odd way to implement it and (barring extreme overclocking) probably not necessary but they weren't totally nuts.

Reply 22977 of 52357, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some new stuff I got today 😀

Canopus Spectra 8400

Batyra_Canopus_8400.jpg
Filename
Batyra_Canopus_8400.jpg
File size
320.83 KiB
Views
File comment
Canopus Spectra 8400
File license

Canopus Spectra 5400

Batyra_Canopus_5400.jpg
Filename
Batyra_Canopus_5400.jpg
File size
329.65 KiB
Views
File comment
Canopus Spectra 5400
File license

Leadtek Winfast S3 Virge GX2

Batyra_Winfast_GX2_PCI.jpg
Filename
Batyra_Winfast_GX2_PCI.jpg
File size
321.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Winfast Virge GX2 PCI
File license
Last edited by Batyra on 2018-04-16, 08:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 22978 of 52357, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

Winfast S3 Virge GX2

WinFast is Leadtek's brand.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.