VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31340 of 52357, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I over payed way too much for this pc. I just wanted the case as it's super clean is missing almost nothing.
The case will be used for my whater cooled athlon XP system.

Attachments

• s-l1600-7.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600-7.jpg
    File size
    166.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • s-l1600-5.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    File size
    36.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    File size
    39.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    File size
    35.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    35.16 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31341 of 52357, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dan86 wrote:

I over payed way too much for this pc. I just wanted the case as it's super clean is missing almost nothing.

i love those cases.
it looks like a antec SX635 except yours has front usb.
if you are in europe, then it's probably a chieftec.
chenming manufactured those cases for both companies and sold under their own label as well.
if you got what you wanted, then you didn't over pay.

Reply 31342 of 52357, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dan86 wrote:

It is a very nice case ! Very well built plus an Asus p4 478 mobo and Asus DVDRW too.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31343 of 52357, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wirerogue wrote:
i love those cases. it looks like a antec SX635 except yours has front usb. if you are in europe, then it's probably a chieftec. […]
Show full quote
dan86 wrote:

i love those cases.
it looks like a antec SX635 except yours has front usb.
if you are in europe, then it's probably a chieftec.
chenming manufactured those cases for both companies and sold under their own label as well.
if you got what you wanted, then you didn't over pay.

Probably is a latter version of the SX635 with front usb/FireWire.
Im not To keen on the style of the case, however they are tanks and well built with good cooling for their age. Tge case will suit the system well.
But to honest I over payed. Sure I had the money, but I still don’t like the price.

Reply 31344 of 52357, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote:
dan86 wrote:

It is a very nice case ! Very well built plus an Asus p4 478 mobo and Asus DVDRW too.

Thanks. You hardly ever see older cases like that in such good shape and so complete. I didn’t really care about that motherboard as I just wanted the case.

Reply 31345 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dan86 wrote:

Rip that P4 sticker off right away please. Who uses a P4 instead of an AthlonXP anyway?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31346 of 52357, by Colder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, having a different opinion doesn't mean that I'm automatically jealous. But it seems that I hit a nerve. I'm not into buying old hardware.
If it wasn't just bragging people wouldn't want to point out how good a deal they made with their purchase. Those who want to show others an interesting card or computer won't feel the need to include the price. They simply make the photos and start a conversation about the hardware.
Big box scrap buyers are always like that, they absolutely HAVE TO tell others how cheap it was.
It's more important than the hardware itself especially when they get a pat on the back "nice find for the price!" Point of retrogasm.

Reply 31347 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Colder wrote:
No, having a different opinion doesn't mean that I'm automatically jealous. But it seems that I hit a nerve. I'm not into buying […]
Show full quote

No, having a different opinion doesn't mean that I'm automatically jealous. But it seems that I hit a nerve. I'm not into buying old hardware.
If it wasn't just bragging people wouldn't want to point out how good a deal they made with their purchase. Those who want to show others an interesting card or computer won't feel the need to include the price. They simply make the photos and start a conversation about the hardware.
Big box scrap buyers are always like that, they absolutely HAVE TO tell others how cheap it was.
It's more important than the hardware itself especially when they get a pat on the back "nice find for the price!" Point of retrogasm.

And if that annoys you does that say something about you or the one who is bragging?

Reply 31348 of 52357, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Colder wrote:
No, having a different opinion doesn't mean that I'm automatically jealous. But it seems that I hit a nerve. I'm not into buying […]
Show full quote

And if that annoys you does that say something about you or the one who is bragging?

Ans also, what is a grat deal? And what is a tight budget? For example someone can say, its not too expensive but for others 10-20-30euro can be a lot. For example I have a good job but have to pay for my car insurance, fuel it, buy clothes, and I have to pay when I go out with my girlfriend (She pays too not only me) So for me monthly 50Euro is my budget and for most of collectors thats nothing

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 31349 of 52357, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
respect2759 wrote:

Ans also, what is a grat deal? And what is a tight budget? For example someone can say, its not too expensive but for others 10-20-30euro can be a lot. For example I have a good job but have to pay for my car insurance, fuel it, buy clothes, and I have to pay when I go out with my girlfriend (She pays too not only me) So for me monthly 50Euro is my budget and for most of collectors thats nothing

I think this is a really good point. There's always a decent chance that what you consider expensive is a catch to someone else! Sometimes there's just no accounting for other people's conceptions of value 😀

For me it's less about the spending cap but more about actually making time to play games, as well as negotiating the wife acceptance factor.

Reply 31350 of 52357, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this system for exactly €30.
It could be the deal of a lifetime but it's not that simple.
I live in ex-commie Hungary so our money is shit compared to EUR (330:1).
Hungarian minimum wages: 5.400 EUR/year
German minimum wages: 20.000 EUR/year
So when I get something for €30 it's more like €110 for me and it's not far from the real WEU prices at all. Looking at sold listings you can get this computer for around €130.
So I am not really tooting my horn I just came from a less developed country.
Bigger countries also mean bigger markets. Buying an original IBM in the US is far easier than buying one in Hungary. IBM was made for that market while this region could only afford compatible clones.
I had to wait months to get this machine for the right price and I only got it because the seller gave it to me and didn't put it up for auction.
This site is international and low prices mean that you don't have to be rich to indulge in retro computing. That is very reassuring.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    Filename
    image5.jpeg
    File size
    79.26 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31351 of 52357, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One thing I never got about eBay is people bidding so damn early.

There's six days left on this vintage camera and it already has 15 bids. Like... why??

Reply 31352 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote:
respect2759 wrote:

I think this is a really good point. There's always a decent chance that what you consider expensive is a catch to someone else! Sometimes there's just no accounting for other people's conceptions of value 😀

For me it's less about the spending cap but more about actually making time to play games, as well as negotiating the wife acceptance factor.

People come here and brag about having found a great deal and show off a piece of hardware that is worthless to me, then say they only paid 200 euros for it, and I balk when people congratulate them.

But value is subjective and who am I to meddle into what who pays.

Still..

EDwK8LcUYAM1jGX.png

Reply 31353 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Colder wrote:
Show full quote

It definitely triggered you to the point that 2/3 of your posts so far on this forum are of envy/jealousy. Rarely does anyone here care -- we say congratulations on the awesome deal to each other.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 31354 of 52357, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

People come here and brag about having found a great deal and show off a piece of hardware that is worthless to me, then say they only paid 200 euros for it, and I balk when people congratulate them.

But value is subjective and who am I to meddle into what who pays.

Still..

Wait, is that an actual screenshot from Monkey Island?

OT: I wonder what kind of value people get out of collecting for the sake of collecting, but I try not to judge!

I'm sure I have my own neuroses that other people can't relate to 🤣

Reply 31355 of 52357, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always put the price in my posts, not to brag, but to let others know what sort of prices you pay when buying locally. I don't buy HW from eBay as I have way too much junk already, but I still tend to find things very cheaply just by checking local recycling centers etc. If someone posts a picture of something interesting and says "I got it cheaply from a local store", it doesn't really tell me anything as I'd like to know what is cheap in your country or what do you consider to be cheap. It's great to see you can still find good deals on eBay, but as I don't lurk there anymore I wouldn't have bought the item anyway so it doesn't bother me that someone else did and good for them if it was really cheap.

Reply 31356 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it is. This one is the EGA version but the VGA version also has it.

Also, impulse purchase of the week:

1e67a9777345ca48054027c392907ba1.jpg?impolicy=img_600

Never judge a video card by the box:

f416612d696e36b504eb868ce0a2a84e.jpg?impolicy=img_600

For $15 it was a fair purchase I would think. My third AGP Banshee. I would give away 2 of them for one PCI Banshee..

Reply 31357 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least it has a cooling fan on there. $15 is not bad considerably.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31358 of 52357, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's gift:
A only used 2-3 months ASUS DRW-1608P3S (OEM Pioneer DVR-111) IDE DVD writer (Black bezel)
A MSI MS-6119 Motherboard with a Intel Pentium III 450MHz Slot 1 processor with 192MB SDRAM by Samsung

Attachments

• PIC_0017.JPG
    Filename
    PIC_0017.JPG
    File size
    445.3 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31359 of 52357, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
dan86 wrote:

Rip that P4 sticker off right away please. Who uses a P4 instead of an AthlonXP anyway?

I did back in the day, and it was far faster then the AthlonXP systems my friends had at the time. Then again my system had a abit ic7-max, a P4 running at 4ghz with 1gb of ddr ram running at 450ish mhz if I recall right.