Reply 31360 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dan86 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
dan86 wrote:

I over payed way too much for this pc. I just wanted the case as it's super clean is missing almost nothing.
The case will be used for my whater cooled athlon XP system.

Rip that P4 sticker off right away please. Who uses a P4 instead of an AthlonXP anyway?

I did back in the day, and it was far faster then the AthlonXP systems my friends had at the time. Then again my system had a abit ic7-max, a P4 running at 4ghz with 1gb of ddr ram running at 450ish mhz if I recall right.

Eh, by that time Athlon64 was out.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31361 of 52615, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
dan86 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Rip that P4 sticker off right away please. Who uses a P4 instead of an AthlonXP anyway?

I did back in the day, and it was far faster then the AthlonXP systems my friends had at the time. Then again my system had a abit ic7-max, a P4 running at 4ghz with 1gb of ddr ram running at 450ish mhz if I recall right.

Eh, by that time Athlon64 was out.

True. If I recall the 875p boards came out like 2 moths before the A64?
Still the A64 was not the best all be all CPU. Sure it gave the P4 a run for it money and then some, but on the top end the P4 was only a tick below the FX when HT'ing was not used and the P4 was just as fast as the regular A64's. It was the mainstream/low end market or when cost vs performance that the A64 creamed the p4 and boy did it ever cream it. At the end of the day, witch was faster, to me at lest it came down to the end users needs and budget.
Still all that aside I'm putting an early Athlon XP system in the case. As mush as I like the P4, its a furnace when overclocked and I just want a simple system these days.

Reply 31362 of 52615, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today was a good day. A customer came by and gave me this:

IMG_4294s.jpg
Filename
IMG_4294s.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Amiga 500, Amiga 500Plus, a bunch of games and some other stuff. The manuals and one of the PSUs belongs to an Amiga 600HD, also got the box for it but sadly not the machine itself.
He said there had also been both c64 and c128 back then. But they too seem to be gone.
Anyway, free is always welcome 😎 . I had three A500s already, but I didn't have the Plus model.

Reply 31365 of 52615, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vegge wrote:
Today was a good day. A customer came by and gave me this: […]
Show full quote

Today was a good day. A customer came by and gave me this:

IMG_4294s.jpg

Amiga 500, Amiga 500Plus, a bunch of games and some other stuff. The manuals and one of the PSUs belongs to an Amiga 600HD, also got the box for it but sadly not the machine itself.
He said there had also been both c64 and c128 back then. But they too seem to be gone.
Anyway, free is always welcome 😎 . I had three A500s already, but I didn't have the Plus model.

Amigas are cool. I grew up in the states where they never really took off compared to the PC and the C64. But I have learned more about the Amiga as I have started to explore retro computing. When the Amiga and PC were competing it is no contest. The amiga has better sound and visuals almost all the time. Great little collection you have started, I am jealous 😀.

Reply 31367 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that Monkey Island EGA and Loom EGA are possibly the nicest 16-colors games on a PC.

Also, the boxed Banshee arrived and strangely enough that weird box is actually indeed the card's very own box 😎

Gigabyte-GA-630-Box-01.jpg

Gigabyte-GA-630-Box-02.jpg

Gigabyte-GA-630-Box-03.jpg

3dfx-Voodoo-Banshee-Gigabyte-GA-630.jpg

Now I have 3 of each Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Voodoo Banshee AGP and Voodoo 3 AGP.. Still have no Voodoo Banshee PCI or Voodoo 3 PCI though 🙁

Reply 31368 of 52615, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
I think that Monkey Island EGA and Loom EGA are possibly the nicest 16-colors games on a PC. […]
Show full quote

I think that Monkey Island EGA and Loom EGA are possibly the nicest 16-colors games on a PC.

Also, the boxed Banshee arrived and strangely enough that weird box is actually indeed the card's very own box 😎

Gigabyte-GA-630-Box-01.jpg

Now I have 3 of each Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Voodoo Banshee AGP and Voodoo 3 AGP.. Still have no Voodoo Banshee PCI or Voodoo 3 PCI though 🙁

Very nice Gigabyte Banshee, with active cooling and all. Unfortunally, the box is a Banshee box, but not the correct one.

Banshee-Gigabyte-GA-630-Boxed.jpg

Reply 31369 of 52615, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen Gigabyte use different boxes for the same product. There usually was a sticker on the box somewhere with the model number.

1982 to 2001

Reply 31370 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's just OEM repackaging. Look at the datecode on the box, Feb 00; this was probably some unsold stock at Gigabyte which they offloaded to another OEM, who repackaged it as a generic card.

Reply 31371 of 52615, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a Rage 128 ultra pro 32mb today. Not the best card, but a good all rounder for testing motherboards and what not.
And yes I know its an OEM card that hates stock ATI drivers.

appiah4 wrote:

I think it's just OEM repackaging. Look at the datecode on the box, Feb 00; this was probably some unsold stock at Gigabyte which they offloaded to another OEM, who repackaged it as a generic card.

I second this. I seen alot of cards from that time frame sold like that. I love buying them on ebay because 9 times out of 10 the box and listing does not say what the card is.
So you get a nice surprise when you open it.

Reply 31372 of 52615, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the Rage 128 Ultra Pro a PCI or AGP card?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31374 of 52615, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

adaptec AAA-133U2 ultra2 scsi raid full length pci card.

adaptec.AAA-133U2.jpg
Filename
adaptec.AAA-133U2.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 31375 of 52615, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wirerogue wrote:

adaptec.AAA-133U2.jpg
Filename
adaptec.AAA-133U2.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license

I have a few of those myself.

box-o-cards.jpg
Filename
box-o-cards.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 31376 of 52615, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:
wirerogue wrote:

got it installed. that is one big ass raid card for sure.

adaptec.AAA-133U2.installed.jpg
Filename
adaptec.AAA-133U2.installed.jpg
File size
695.77 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31378 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

A few.. 🤣

Reply 31379 of 52615, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vintage RAID/SCSI cards are one those items in vintage computing that are still fairly cheap to get even new in box. Some models are so impressive looking and complex with their own memory and CPUs. This particular model is visually one of my favorites.

IMG_4788.JPG
Filename
IMG_4788.JPG
File size
598.21 KiB
Views
File license