Reply 28541 of 52719, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:
retropol wrote:

HanJammer,
somebody used 5.25 in p166 machine? strange...

This computer was upgraded from 486DX2 (original specs from are on the printed sticker in the case) - motherboard, cpu and graphics card was replaced. Also I still had 5,25" floppy in my computer in 2004...

Holy shit. I've usually had a pack of 3.5 floppies in my bag in 2004 (I was in middle school, and my home PC was a 486DX2/Win95 laptop for a while, so I've used floppies to bring homework and download abandonware games in computer class) and that kind of seemed odd to everyone. But 5.25?..

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 28542 of 52719, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:
Some idiot had to destroy the motherboard intentionally with the screwdriver - slots I would fix (I've seen this dammage on the […]
Show full quote

Some idiot had to destroy the motherboard intentionally with the screwdriver - slots I would fix (I've seen this dammage on the auction pics), but there are also deep screwdriver scratches acros several traces, so it's beyond repair.

Also somebody removed the BIOS and other chips from the cards...

Fortunatelly CT1350B looks fine other than removed OPL2 which has several bent pins and one broken pin 🙁

S3 Trio has the BIOS removed and one of the vram sockets is dammaged.

Teac Floppy Drives hopefully will be allright. (There is also 1,44MB drive, Caviar 2250 and some CD-ROM)

Case is intact other than missing stands but that's not really a problem for buyers from what I've seen so far...

If CT1350B, CPU, floppy drives and PSU works then I will still make some profit out of it.

Hmm, that's not so nice. You need quite a bit of luck to get your money back on those parts, let alone to make a profit. Why would someone cause so much damage to a pc? Maybe someone was fed up with Windows 95 BSOD's 😊

Reply 28543 of 52719, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought THIS

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 28544 of 52719, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:
retropol wrote:

HanJammer,
somebody used 5.25 in p166 machine? strange...

This computer was upgraded from 486DX2 (original specs from are on the printed sticker in the case) - motherboard, cpu and graphics card was replaced. Also I still had 5,25" floppy in my computer in 2004...

I also had a 5.25 fdd in my 386, but later i put it to the cabinet (nobody used it) and I’ve never had a 3.5 drive 😀 we always used hdd to copy stuffs.

actually i put the floppy drives to the retro pcs because of the period correct feeling, I don’t have any floppies, i’ve never missed it.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28545 of 52719, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up some free stuff today.

audio_cards_etc.jpg
Filename
audio_cards_etc.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
HDD_Mems.jpg
Filename
HDD_Mems.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 28546 of 52719, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

Holy shit. I've usually had a pack of 3.5 floppies in my bag in 2004 (I was in middle school, and my home PC was a 486DX2/Win95 laptop for a while, so I've used floppies to bring homework and download abandonware games in computer class) and that kind of seemed odd to everyone. But 5.25?..

Yeah, same here. I've been using 3,5" floppies for smaller files mostly. 5,25" floppy drive was installed in my PC back then because I still had alot 5,25" floppies from my 286 era, and I wanted to read them from time to time (like once every half of year)… so that was only reason…

SpectriaForce wrote:

Hmm, that's not so nice. You need quite a bit of luck to get your money back on those parts, let alone to make a profit. Why would someone cause so much damage to a pc? Maybe someone was fed up with Windows 95 BSOD's 😊

I don't know… maybe the same reason people cut power wires from the devices they bring to a scrap yard...
Anyway, CT1350B works! I corrected the OPL2 pins (the one pin I thought is broken was just bent in half 180* ;/ ) Creative diagnostic tools wouldn't find the card, but games had music and voice. Quick inspection of both the intel chip and CT1336A revealed that two pins on both chips were bent a bit and had a gap under them... I corrected them and card works perfectly fine... also it's less noisy than my other CT1350Bs (perhaps because it's more recent revision).

So here is a photo of cleaned up CT1350B again and two other cards I bought today… I have high expectation for this Opti/Analog Devices/OPL3 thing… I already have a plan where I want to use it too.

WP_20190506_22_33_51_Rich.jpg
Filename
WP_20190506_22_33_51_Rich.jpg
File size
616.32 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190506_22_34_01_Rich.jpg
Filename
WP_20190506_22_34_01_Rich.jpg
File size
594.47 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190506_22_34_10_Rich.jpg
Filename
WP_20190506_22_34_10_Rich.jpg
File size
553.41 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190506_22_34_19_Rich.jpg
Filename
WP_20190506_22_34_19_Rich.jpg
File size
475.28 KiB
Views
File license
WP_20190506_22_34_34_Rich.jpg
Filename
WP_20190506_22_34_34_Rich.jpg
File size
545.31 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-05-06, 23:53. Edited 2 times in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28548 of 52719, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a NIB 120GB HDD at a thrift store. This is the third NIB hard drive purchase at a thrift store.

Original receipt:

AaZVh5dl.jpg

All of its glory:

lo6tNrQl.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 28550 of 52719, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Prices on eBay for this size drive is higher than what I paid. Heck, the price I paid was 8%-10% (with or without the $20 off coupon applied).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 28551 of 52719, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:
bofh.fromhell wrote:

Then again betwween HX and TX what was the point of VX altogether 🤣.

The VX and the HX were launched together as part of the Triton II family. The TX (Triton III) came out a bit later, and did not have a high-end counterpart. It's considered the successor to the VX, not the HX.
The VX was actually quite a popular. For most users, at the time the HX was overkill. HX was workstation/server grade for people who wanted SMP and stupid amounts of RAM, both of which was almost completely useless as nothing needed more than 32MB of RAM, and practically no consumer software used two CPUs. I seem to recall that the HX didn't support SDRAM (only EDO DIMMs), and the VX did, but only one slot and probably not more than 32MB on a DIMM. Almost 100% of VX users used SIMMs. DIMMs are wasted on anything pre Super Socket7 in my opinion. If you're building a classic Pentium system, a VX based motherboard is a solid choice.

Are you sure about VX supporting only 1 DIMM slot? I do remember the support being max 32MB per DIMM (and only the low density, afaicr), but the DIMM was a bit of a new thing back then, partially a marketing gimmick (as only 1 DIMM slot "for future upgrades" was not really that practical due to the actually more limited amount of memory that could be upgraded to, and because SDRAM went to a higher density which was not supported by VX or at least not officially) as it wasn't very practical back then.
Most VX boards I seen that actually have a DIMM slot (because many VX boards don't have any DIMM slot whatsoever) had only 1, but there may be boards which have 2 DIMM slots.
It's like 4am here now, I may go through my own stash of boards later in daylight to see if I can find such a board as apparently th99 doesn't list all chipsets by name, only by manufacturer.

True about almost 100% of VX users back then using SIMMs, if only so they could recycle their older 72p SIMMs.
And HX indeed supported DIMM slots, but not SDRAM.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28552 of 52719, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Bought a NIB 120GB HDD at a thrift store. This is the third NIB hard drive purchase at a thrift store.

Original receipt:

All of its glory:

we used to sell a bunch of those back when i worked at Egghead Software. I remember the 340mb versions especially failed.. a LOT.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 28553 of 52719, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Also a picture of the Roland JV-35 I picked up earlier:

IMG_0518.jpg

So, it turns out this keyboard is based on the SC-55 Mk. II. 😀

Reply 28554 of 52719, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Are you sure about VX supporting only 1 DIMM slot?

Of course it's not true…

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28555 of 52719, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Perhaps some VX mobos only had 1 SDRAM slot, but some had two... Take for example my Shuttle HOT-555A, it has two DIMM slots, but is capped to 32mb, per DIMM.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 28556 of 52719, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vynix wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Perhaps some VX mobos only had 1 SDRAM slot, but some had two... Take for example my Shuttle HOT-555A, it has two DIMM slots, but is capped to 32mb, per DIMM.

Iirc most didn't have any DIMM slots and if they did, they had just 1.
I actually thought 2xDIMM slots was more a TX thing until I saw a VX board with 2 DIMM slots, but it was easy to think VX boards simply came with only 1, if at all.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28557 of 52719, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
arncht wrote:

What is the chipset of the paradise? Ark2000?

So yes, it is detected as an ARK2000PV chipset. It only has 1MB (exp. to 2MB), but man, in benchmarks this thing is only a hair slower than the 4MB Matrox Millennium which is one of my best DOS PCI performers. Both of them outpace the 32MB Savage 4 in DRHARD benchmarks.

Reply 28558 of 52719, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The early ceramic P60 has cost me an arm and a leg but at least my Socket 4 collection is growing.

DSC_7699.jpg
Filename
DSC_7699.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 28559 of 52719, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Vynix wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Iirc most didn't have any DIMM slots and if they did, they had just 1.
I actually thought 2xDIMM slots was more a TX thing until I saw a VX board with 2 DIMM slots, but it was easy to think VX boards simply came with only 1, if at all.

Overstatement.
Many boards had two DIMM slots.
Another VX sample (DTK PAM-0065I) arrived today (and a rather early one for that matter). 2 DIMM slots...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg