VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31580 of 52741, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A trio of cards from 2001 that basically battled it out amongst themselves until the GeForce 4 hit the shelves:

ASUS-AGP-V8200-64-M-TVR.jpg ATI-Radeon-8500-64-MB.jpg n-Vidia-Ge-Force-3-Ti-200.jpg

The GeForce 3 Ti 200 came with a badly damaged bracket so I made one of my own for it:

n-Vidia-Ge-Force-3-Ti-200-Bracket.jpg

I also bought a GA-K8NS nForce3 250 motherboard to replace my ASUS K8V K8T800 motherboard that died and (apparently) requires a recap..

Gigabyte-GA-K8-NS.jpg

..and a K6-2/500 for my SS7 system 😀

AMD-K6-2-500-AFX.jpg

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-12-13, 13:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31581 of 52741, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote:
arncht wrote:

how it compares to the arklogic in dos?
i give up the trio/virge cards - the visions have better output quality with the dedicated dacs.

Unfortunately, I don't have any VLB ARK card in my collection. My experience after testing about 10+ different VLB models is that DOS performance is exclusively a function of interface speed. If you use 1994+ chip and as soon as the memory bandwidth is faster than VLB speed (which it always is when you have interleaved 32bit or 64bit interface) and you can keep VLB without waitstates the performance is about the same which is also likely the limit of my VLB bus. Out of my 10 cards 5 produce almost identical performance in DOS. Windows (and to some extent linear VESA modes) at high resolution is a different thing - there are major differences even within 64bit tier.

i found the same, except the ark 😀

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXksI … dit?usp=sharing

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 31582 of 52741, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Oh no would have loved to have those! I had the same ones for years. Target was (is?) a big brand here.

EDI: this is not meant as a negative comment. Just an observation 😀 I've thrown out stuff that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yeah, Target it was. Thing is, I couldn't sell those for 1€ as there's no market anymore for these, It's just easier to throw it away. Another thing is CD/DVD-R packs which I'll give away for free. Other items include BTC 5-pin Keyboard and a 3-button Lynx 25S mouse that just takes space in the office, but I can't seem to get rid of them...

Reply 31583 of 52741, by 0x5f4e2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote:
I got this system for exactly €30. It could be the deal of a lifetime but it's not that simple. I live in ex-commie Hungary so o […]
Show full quote

I got this system for exactly €30.
It could be the deal of a lifetime but it's not that simple.
I live in ex-commie Hungary so our money is shit compared to EUR (330:1).
Hungarian minimum wages: 5.400 EUR/year
German minimum wages: 20.000 EUR/year
So when I get something for €30 it's more like €110 for me and it's not far from the real WEU prices at all. Looking at sold listings you can get this computer for around €130.
So I am not really tooting my horn I just came from a less developed country.
Bigger countries also mean bigger markets. Buying an original IBM in the US is far easier than buying one in Hungary. IBM was made for that market while this region could only afford compatible clones.
I had to wait months to get this machine for the right price and I only got it because the seller gave it to me and didn't put it up for auction.
This site is international and low prices mean that you don't have to be rich to indulge in retro computing. That is very reassuring.

Is that 55SX?

Reply 31584 of 52741, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For $18.99 altogether:

x6D6dYVl.jpg

Cybernet Elite-4i Zero-Footprint-PC
IBM Multi DVD burner for my ThinkPad T42
PS/2 keyboard and mouse splitter for laptops and desktops that has a PS/2 port that can take both with the adapter, or 1 or the other

Yes, my car needs to be cleaned out. I will do that tonight prior to replacing the fuel level sensor on my car and fix the cooling system a bit more (still has a bit of air in the system).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31585 of 52741, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's something very unsual to see - Zida Tomato 6DXP Rev 1.1. Yep, that's a Pentium Pro board, with DIMM slots and 4x multiplier.

Zida Tomato 6DXP 1.jpg
Filename
Zida Tomato 6DXP 1.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Zida Tomato 6DXP 2.jpg
Filename
Zida Tomato 6DXP 2.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
Zida Tomato 6DXP 3.jpg
Filename
Zida Tomato 6DXP 3.jpg
File size
500.06 KiB
Views
File license

Looks like not all Tomato boards are bad.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 31586 of 52741, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Frustrating start of the week, spotted an IBM AT keyboard (Model F) on a local auction site. But the seller sold it to someone outside of site 🙁

Fortunately this turned up:

15762518162610.jpg
Filename
15762518162610.jpg
File size
147.72 KiB
Views
File license

800MHz G4 iMac. Could pick it up for free as it was dead. For a dead iMac it's doing a surprisingly good imitation of being very much alive 😜

Reply 31587 of 52741, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I paid $9.99 for my G4/800 and booted up without issues. Replaced the PRAM battery a while back and I also did a fresh install of Mac OS X Tiger along with updates and a Wireless N USB adapter that works with the system a year ago. SuperDrive works as well, so it'll be used for making DVDs from my mom's old Sony HandyCam DCR-TRV460 since it has FireWire 400.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31588 of 52741, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Frustrating start of the week, spotted an IBM AT keyboard (Model F) on a local auction site. But the seller sold it to someone o […]
Show full quote

Frustrating start of the week, spotted an IBM AT keyboard (Model F) on a local auction site. But the seller sold it to someone outside of site 🙁

Fortunately this turned up:

15762518162610.jpg

800MHz G4 iMac. Could pick it up for free as it was dead. For a dead iMac it's doing a surprisingly good imitation of being very much alive 😜

Ooh a sunflower iMac, thus one looks to be a early model judging from the font used for the "iMac" branding (later models have a different font).

It shouldn't be too troublesome to open up should the hard drive be busted, and if the CD drives gives out, on these iMacs it's a standard 5.25 drive (unlike on the earlier G3 iMacs that had laptop-style hard drives)

Edit: Also since this is the 800Mhz model, it should be able to boot into OS9 just fine.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 31589 of 52741, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

I paid $9.99 for my G4/800 and booted up without issues. Replaced the PRAM battery a while back and I also did a fresh install of Mac OS X Tiger along with updates and a Wireless N USB adapter that works with the system a year ago. SuperDrive works as well, so it'll be used for making DVDs from my mom's old Sony HandyCam DCR-TRV460 since it has FireWire 400.

No idea what the original issues were, but only thing I can find that is wrong with it is the dead PRAM battery. Good point regarding WiFI, I'm into retro on a lot of things, but not with WiFi. I've completely disabled all WiFi-b (and a good deal of a/g) data rates on my WLAN and that poor old card in this beast can't connect.

As it only has 512MB RAM, I've installed Panther for now, might upgrade to Tiger after boosting RAM to 1GB.

Vynix wrote:

[...]

Ooh a sunflower iMac, thus one looks to be a early model judging from the font used for the "iMac" branding (later models have a different font).

Yes, looks like the top model from the very first G4 iMac range.

It shouldn't be too troublesome to open up should the hard drive be busted, and if the CD drives gives out, on these iMacs it's a standard 5.25 drive (unlike on the earlier G3 iMacs that had laptop-style hard drives)

No problem. Fortunately both HDD and DVD are working perfectly - I was installing Panther from DVD on the pic I posted. Might upgrade to SSD at some point though.

Edit: Also since this is the 800Mhz model, it should be able to boot into OS9 just fine.

That is one of the reasons I was so happy to find this. The other is to use it as a terminal for my home server, with a bit of luck letting its i3 do the heavy lifting and letting me watch films in bed 😀

Reply 31590 of 52741, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

The other is to use it as a terminal for my home server, with a bit of luck letting its i3 do the heavy lifting and letting me watch films in bed 😀

Actually, now that you mention it, those look like futuristic dumb terminals.

Reply 31591 of 52741, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got one of these PC ProPAD 4's. Box had been opened but the controller itself has never been used. Not sure how they hold up against the Gravis Game Pad, will give it a test run over the holidays.

Edit: Does anyone know what year (around) these things are from? Can't find any date on it...

JK2TIE5.jpg

Last edited by pan069 on 2019-12-14, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31592 of 52741, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote:
Got one of these PC ProPAD 4's. Box had been opened but the controller itself has never been used. Not sure how they hold up ag […]
Show full quote

Got one of these PC ProPAD 4's. Box had been opened but the controller itself has never been used. Not sure how they hold up against the Gravis Game Pad, will give it a test run over the holidays.

Edit: Does any know what year (around) these things are from? Can't find any date on it...

JK2TIE5.jpg

That's actually one of my favorite gamepads, I kind of like it better than the Gravis TBH. I think they are from sometime between 1991 and 1994 as it's obviously a SNES based design. The box might have a copyright on it as a clue.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 31593 of 52741, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:

The box might have a copyright on it as a clue.

Thanks and nah, there is no copyright on the box and or warranty card what so ever. Kinda strange. But the device feels solid. Looking forward to give it a go.

Reply 31595 of 52741, by Ashley98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New Stuff i got this week
https://imgur.com/a/1b8d6dD
FireGL V8600 Engineering Sample
Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition
XFX 6800GS XXX EDITION , Gainward 6800GS
ASUS HD3850X2 1GB
Asus Geforce 2 GTS
HIS 3850 AGP
3d Prophet Geforce 2 Ultra
Asus Geforce 4 MX

Reply 31596 of 52741, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ashley98 wrote:
New Stuff i got this week https://imgur.com/a/1b8d6dD FireGL V8600 Engineering Sample Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition XFX 6800G […]
Show full quote

New Stuff i got this week
https://imgur.com/a/1b8d6dD
FireGL V8600 Engineering Sample
Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition
XFX 6800GS XXX EDITION , Gainward 6800GS
ASUS HD3850X2 1GB
Asus Geforce 2 GTS
HIS 3850 AGP
3d Prophet Geforce 2 Ultra
Asus Geforce 4 MX

nice haul. that his 3850 looks brand new.
i hope at some point you start building something. 😀

Reply 31597 of 52741, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swapped my unneeded Gigabyte GA-486VS to a friend for this beauty (the motherboard) :

20191214_011428.jpg
Filename
20191214_011428.jpg
File size
560.63 KiB
Views
File license

A mighty ASUS P299 Rev. 1.12! (With a P3/550E.)

I think this is going to take over all my Slot-1 duties from now on. It has 4 PCI + 3 ISA slots like my P3V133, a lovely full-ATX layout in a small footprint like my P2L97-S, and of course the BX chipset like my Dell XPS T550. Plus, it has a wildly tweakable FSB (including a setting for 133 with 33MHz PCI!), SB-Link, and at least Coppermine support. (It'd be nice if it could run my 1GHz Tualeron, but not sure on that... I don't have a compatible slocket anyway.)

It doesn't have SCSI (which I'm not using on the P2L97-S anyway) and for some reason the solder pads for the 3rd DIMM slot are empty, but I can do without those. What a nice board all the same!

Said friend also fixed my Akai GXC-310D, which now sounds as good as it looks, i.e. legit gorgeous in a very mid-1970s sort of way. It plays buttery smooth, the big chunky piano key controls feel like operating a rocket launch, and those dancey VU meters & running lights are an absolute joy. I can't believe I tried to sell this thing before I had it working.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 31598 of 52741, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote:

I also got one of these somewhat recently. Love it. To me it feels way better then the original Gravis Gamepad (especially the D-pad feels so much better to use).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT