Topic actions

Reply 18060 of 52698, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
Well I never really had many rare nvidia cards. Or even a gf256 for that matter. But I have had just about everything else. But […]
Show full quote

Well I never really had many rare nvidia cards. Or even a gf256 for that matter. But I have had just about everything else.
But yes they are rare, manly do to it being a flop, and if I recall a lot of the cards were traded in for 59x0 and 5700 cards.
Back in the day getting one would not be hard, but today they don't come up for sale all to often.
Its one of the few cards on my want list that I'll probably never use. I manly want one for show.

I like to own prestige cards but I like to put them into systems and build entire prestige systems that I actually use.

I mean, it literally has the Nvidia tin that it came in. No better way to display it than with that.

https://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/10/2

I agree with @Jade_Falcon in principle. It'd be a bummer break a rare piece of hardware. This one is even more susceptible than most because of the proprietary blower (and super high rpm fan). For functional purposes, a Quadro FX 3000 does a near identical job. I'm putting together a 2003 era Barton 3200+ rig, and it'll have the Quadro FX 3000.

Test System, P4 3.06 (no-HT), P4S533, 1GB DDR-333

(first value) FX5800U @ 500/500
(second value) Quadro FX3000 @ 400/425

3DMark 2000
1024x768x16 |13064 , 13458
1024x768x32 | 12807, 13111
1920x1080x32 | 9442, 10609

3DMark 2001SE
1024x768x32 | 12900, 12573
1920x1080x32 | 9520, 9355

3DMark 2003
1024x768x32 | 5439, 5479
1920x1080x32 | 2946, 2978

Reply 18061 of 52698, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:
I mean, it literally has the Nvidia tin that it came in. No better way to display it than with that. […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
Well I never really had many rare nvidia cards. Or even a gf256 for that matter. But I have had just about everything else. But […]
Show full quote

Well I never really had many rare nvidia cards. Or even a gf256 for that matter. But I have had just about everything else.
But yes they are rare, manly do to it being a flop, and if I recall a lot of the cards were traded in for 59x0 and 5700 cards.
Back in the day getting one would not be hard, but today they don't come up for sale all to often.
Its one of the few cards on my want list that I'll probably never use. I manly want one for show.

I like to own prestige cards but I like to put them into systems and build entire prestige systems that I actually use.

I mean, it literally has the Nvidia tin that it came in. No better way to display it than with that.

https://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/10/2

I agree with @Jade_Falcon in principle. It'd be a bummer break a rare piece of hardware. This one is even more susceptible than most because of the proprietary blower (and super high rpm fan). For functional purposes, a Quadro FX 3000 does a near identical job. I'm putting together a 2003 era Barton 3200+ rig, and it'll have the Quadro FX 3000.

Test System, P4 3.06 (no-HT), P4S533, 1GB DDR-333

I would focus more on the fanless models for use in actual systems but I understand the need to get the most performance. No fan noise and no fans to die on you. But if you were to get one of those sealed and brand new. I would definitely put it in some sort of display case. That film canister is one sick prop. That is the first I've ever heard of a graphics card coming in something like that. Reminds me a bit of the Starcross saucer.

Reply 18062 of 52698, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Gigabyte motherboard came in today. Works correct mostly. The CPU fan has a wobble and was attached by what I assume to have been an amatuer as it was plugged into the case fan power. Has a 733MHZ Pentium III, 768MB of ram (of which 512MB is detected. I need to trouble shoot that) and an ATI XPert 128 video card. One of the hard drives (an 80GB Seagate) was destroyed due to improper packaging (broke one of those copper spool things clean off) but aside from that everything works. There was an ES1371 based Soundblaster PCI as well but I have no clue under what circumstances I would ever use it. There was also a fresh XP install on the 2nd hard disk (a 60GB Maxtor). No Tualatins support unfortunately which renders it unsuitable for an early XP machine in my opinion. It will most likely get an install of Millinium Edition and be used as a test bench (on the agenda tomorrow is installing motherboard standoffs to the top of a wooden desk so I can batch test the last months worth of items that have came in). I wished I was flooded in project, be careful what you wish for I guess.

Currently on the way I have:

An ASUS P5N-D Motherboard
A Compaq EVO N610C laptop
A V3 3000 (which was given to me by a very generous vogoner)

Also included was a somewhat questionable looking 250 watt "Power Man" power supply. Anybody ever heard of this brand?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18064 of 52698, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Obviously anecdotal, but I believe a Power Man PSU is to this day the only PSU I've ever had go up in smoke.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
That Gigabyte motherboard came in today. Works correct mostly. The CPU fan has a wobble and was attached by what I assume to hav […]
Show full quote

That Gigabyte motherboard came in today. Works correct mostly. The CPU fan has a wobble and was attached by what I assume to have been an amatuer as it was plugged into the case fan power. Has a 733MHZ Pentium III, 768MB of ram (of which 512MB is detected. I need to trouble shoot that) and an ATI XPert 128 video card. One of the hard drives (an 80GB Seagate) was destroyed due to improper packaging (broke one of those copper spool things clean off) but aside from that everything works. There was an ES1371 based Soundblaster PCI as well but I have no clue under what circumstances I would ever use it. There was also a fresh XP install on the 2nd hard disk (a 60GB Maxtor). No Tualatins support unfortunately which renders it unsuitable for an early XP machine in my opinion. It will most likely get an install of Millinium Edition and be used as a test bench (on the agenda tomorrow is installing motherboard standoffs to the top of a wooden desk so I can batch test the last months worth of items that have came in). I wished I was flooded in project, be careful what you wish for I guess.

Currently on the way I have:

An ASUS P5N-D Motherboard
A Compaq EVO N610C laptop
A V3 3000 (which was given to me by a very generous vogoner)

Also included was a somewhat questionable looking 250 watt "Power Man" power supply. Anybody ever heard of this brand?

Reply 18065 of 52698, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Powerman is the inwin PSU company. My experience with the 2 I have used has been good. Although I didn't use them in stressful systems. One 300watt in a core2 system and a 250 in a itx am1 system.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18066 of 52698, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radeon 9800 XT 256MB. Been looking for one for awhile. Compared to the FX series, ATI was definitely the winner that round.

I've noticed a lot of ATI cards this era has the sharpie marks on the caps. What's the story there?

4mbY1Jo.jpg

Reply 18067 of 52698, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:

Radeon 9800 XT 256MB. Been looking for one for awhile. Compared to the FX series, ATI was definitely the winner that round.

I've noticed a lot of ATI cards this era has the sharpie marks on the caps. What's the story there?

I'm not sure but I think the sharpie marks were the "Seal of approval" from the quality control team at the time.

Reply 18068 of 52698, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RJDog wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

Also looking at the ISA slots the location where it is not spaced towards the edge near the connectors I wonder what kind of case this will go in as you wouldn't be able to use a standard ATX case to house it

This board is for a "slim" case -- the ISA card you see is not a 3-way "splitter", so much as it is really just a riser card. It breaks out from the proprietary connector on the motherboard to provide three ISA slots. The riser card sits perpendicular to the motherboard, and then the installed ISA cards sit parallel to the motherboard. So, unfortunately, no, it will not go in a standard AT or ATX case. But fortunately, I do actually have a case to put it in which provides both the proper mounts and the appropriate horizontal full-height card slots. Similar system for picture: https://goo.gl/images/cievK4

Just a warning that LPX cases, despite looking very similar, often are not compatible with each other or with all main boards. Things can be off by a few mm. So unless you have a case for a system that used this exact motherboard it may be problematic to get the board into the case.

Reply 18069 of 52698, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that's disappointing. The SB16 I bought from Amazon (used) turned up shrinkwrapped to a bit of cardboard minus its case bracket, no IDE interface (which was pictured on Amazon) and with obvious rust and water damage. Have sent it straight back.

Very happy with my BNIB Mouse Systems serial mouse though from eBay.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 18070 of 52698, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Just a warning that LPX cases, despite looking very similar, often are not compatible with each other or with all main boards. Things can be off by a few mm.

Oh, yes, I fully anticipate some hole drilling for new motherboard standoffs in the very near future, let alone for Compaq's custom back I/O panel on the motherboard 😊

Reply 18071 of 52698, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Andy1979 wrote:

Well that's disappointing. The SB16 I bought from Amazon (used) turned up shrinkwrapped to a bit of cardboard minus its case bracket, no IDE interface (which was pictured on Amazon) and with obvious rust and water damage. Have sent it straight back.

Does BNIB mean brand new in box? Amazon uses the stock pictures of the card whereas ebay and Amibay has pictures of the actual card (condition, features, and so on) that the seller uploads.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18072 of 52698, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Does BNIB mean brand new in box? Amazon uses the stock pictures of the card whereas ebay and Amibay has pictures of the actual card (condition, features, and so on) that the seller uploads.

Yes, that's right on BNIB

Amazon description said item would be exactly as pictured and seller reviews were good, so took a risk. It was fulfilled by Amazon so not anticipating any problems with the return.

Amibay is a good shout - haven't registered on there yet and looks like a great source of older gear.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 18073 of 52698, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another SB16, this time the SB2940. No idea if it has any significant difference from the SB2980 - components appear to be mostly the same although the PCB layout is not.

med_gallery_60983_11505_187623.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18074 of 52698, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I got my self something neat today.
Not sure if it works, but whatever, will look cool in a system with a Mitsubishi CRT

Pretty!

1982 to 2001

Reply 18075 of 52698, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I got my self something neat today.
Not sure if it works, but whatever, will look cool in a system with a Mitsubishi CRT

Pretty!

It is, I'll be putting it in a indusial system build.

I just picked up and posably over payed for a BMC QS440BXP. that's a 440bx atx SK370 board. with 2 isa slots and agp.

Reply 18077 of 52698, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
Andy1979 wrote:

eBay also has the option of using "stock" images and also asks users.. or at least use to if the pictures they uploaded could be added to the database for pictures for the products they are selling IF the user is making a posting for an item for which information for the exact item in the eBay database.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18078 of 52698, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this nice case with an IBM style Power switch

IMG_1119r.jpg
Filename
IMG_1119r.jpg
File size
2.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1120r.jpg
Filename
IMG_1120r.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license

Looked quite unmodified to me so I powered on. All drives initialized and Post-Beep was there, but no picture on the screen. Was also not reproducable. Here we can see the reason why...

IMG_1115r.jpg
Filename
IMG_1115r.jpg
File size
3.04 MiB
Views
File license

Never seen such memory expansion connector

IMG_1123r.jpg
Filename
IMG_1123r.jpg
File size
4.25 MiB
Views
File license

This machine needs a full cleaning, also smells not very good 😵 Will try to fix the board, but maybe I will replace it with another one anyway.

IMG_1125r.jpg
Filename
IMG_1125r.jpg
File size
3.68 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 18079 of 52698, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Looked quite unmodified to me so I powered on. All drives initialized and Post-Beep was there, but no picture on the screen. Was also not reproducable. Here we can see the reason why...

IMG_1115r.jpg

Make sure you hook up that 20pin MFM Hard drive connector that's loosely hanging almost off the pins or that Seagate hard drive won't be detectable.

Never seen such memory expansion connector

IMG_1123r.jpg

Haven't seen this before but boards like this existed back in the day from systems like the IBM PC where you had 64KB and needed some board to boost it 384KB or more. I think judging by the connector it's really an ISA 8-bit. But the problem is the board was too damn long so they decided to put another 8-bit ISA slot if you look at the far right stacked. So if you didn't put this into a case and removed the motherboard I think that memory board will work in any ISA slot. I think they customized this board for balancing the board rather than one end kind of dangling.