Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10460 of 52759, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ramiro77 wrote:
Pentium II 350 mhz. Nearly mint condition (noisy fan, but everything else is free of scratches or dust). Original Intel's bliste […]
Show full quote

Pentium II 350 mhz. Nearly mint condition (noisy fan, but everything else is free of scratches or dust). Original Intel's blister. Bought it yesterday for one dollar.

*SNIP*

Perfect match for my Soyo 6BA+ III + Voodoo 3 3000 agp 😎
The only problem is that the motherboard doesn't came with the mounting system. I don't know what to do.

*SNIP*

Use tie-wraps as a temporary solution;
tie-wrap-ctwr_1.jpg

At least, until you can get a Slot 1 bracket? Brackets show up on eBay and other places quite often, so you wouldn't have to bodge it for too long I wouldn't think. Tie-wraps should be cheap and easy to find in the meantime though.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10461 of 52759, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Umm I'm in Argentina. Buying a bracket would be more expensive than the whole rig. I think I will search for scrap motherboards and if I couldn't find anything I will design some metal bracket. I have tools and equipment for pretty much anything, but I'm lazy right now 🤣

Reply 10462 of 52759, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
Use tie-wraps as a temporary solution; http://www.duboisag.com/media/catalog/product/t/i/tie-wrap-ctwr_1.jpg […]
Show full quote
ramiro77 wrote:
Pentium II 350 mhz. Nearly mint condition (noisy fan, but everything else is free of scratches or dust). Original Intel's bliste […]
Show full quote

Pentium II 350 mhz. Nearly mint condition (noisy fan, but everything else is free of scratches or dust). Original Intel's blister. Bought it yesterday for one dollar.

*SNIP*

Perfect match for my Soyo 6BA+ III + Voodoo 3 3000 agp 😎
The only problem is that the motherboard doesn't came with the mounting system. I don't know what to do.

*SNIP*

Use tie-wraps as a temporary solution;
tie-wrap-ctwr_1.jpg

At least, until you can get a Slot 1 bracket? Brackets show up on eBay and other places quite often, so you wouldn't have to bodge it for too long I wouldn't think. Tie-wraps should be cheap and easy to find in the meantime though.

I run my Slot-1 boards without mounting systems, just make sure the CPU still sits in its slot after moving the system and everything will be fine.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10464 of 52759, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ramiro77 wrote:

Yes I could do that, but I will be less worried if I mount it with something 😵

Another choice that perhaps is easier than the zip ties is hot glue, it's not a good choice if you want to switch CPU often though. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10465 of 52759, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ramiro77 wrote:

Umm I'm in Argentina. Buying a bracket would be more expensive than the whole rig. I think I will search for scrap motherboards and if I couldn't find anything I will design some metal bracket. I have tools and equipment for pretty much anything, but I'm lazy right now 🤣

Hey, mate, I will be moving to your great country in 2-3 months 😀
Will be really looking for new friends there 😉

And of course I will be able to bring you some stuff from RU, if you like.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 10467 of 52759, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A boy's first Tually board (Gigabyte GA-6VTXE)
XRP28tLl.jpg

The seller packed it like an idiot. He put the board with the processor and heatsink inside an anti-static bag, stuck it in a box and sent it. No bubble-wrap, foam or anything to dampen mechanical shocks. Oh, and the heatsink did come loose, luckly the board survived. It seems this board was partially recapped, as the solder on the tall 3300uF 6.3V caps looked like crap - one of them had one leg completly loose, no, not with a broken solder, but with no solder at all! Also all other big electrolytic capacitors are G-Luxon, but theze have KZG written on them, but no brand... If they were Chemicon they would say so, no?

Reply 10468 of 52759, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:
Something bigger this time. Not really retro, well - unless you take single thread performance into account. :lol: […]
Show full quote

Something bigger this time. Not really retro, well - unless you take single thread performance into account. 🤣

Asus KGPE-D16 - dual socket G34
g34_4eos9j.jpg

2x Opteron 6272 - Interlagos, 16 cores @ 2,1 GHz per CPU
g34_5m9sgj.jpg

Testing on benchtable
g34_3pos78.jpg

32 cores in total.
http://abload.de/img/g34_68rsva.png

I can think of thing that can push that kind of hardware gaming wise, multiboxing a dozen or so wow or eve accounts at once 😈

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10470 of 52759, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ramiro77 wrote:

Hey that's cool news! What brings you here? Another Vogons member searching for asado? Jajajaja!
I'll pm you.

PM replied! 😀
Sorry for offtopic, but if any other Vogoneer argentino reads this, please PM me, as I'm looking for new friends in your country 😉

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 10474 of 52759, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HD3850 AGP:
2016-01-27%2000.15.00.jpg

and not something entirely retro, but it lets me capture retro stuff (bought used):
dvi2pcie-side-profile-with-plate.png
Sorry, no actual photo, installed it in my machine before thinking of that 😀

Captured a test video from the most difficult game I know on the most picky card I have, Fatal Racing on the Creative 3D Blaster VLB. It worked fine with no isses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HunGvGcpbJ4&feature=youtu.be

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10476 of 52759, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I received a package from a fellow VOGONS member containing a boxed Roland SCC-1 and a boxed Roland CM-500. Great stuff!
Last week I traded one of my Turtle Beach Rio wavetable boards for a Terratec wavetable board (a revision that I did not own yet) and a Roland MPU-401AT.
Besides that I will soon be making another trade for an Ensoniq Soundscape DB. So it seems there are still opportunities for extending my collection after a bit of a slow period.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 10477 of 52759, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

HD3850 AGP:

Captured a test video from the most difficult game I know on the most picky card I have, Fatal Racing on the Creative 3D Blaster VLB. It worked fine with no isses:

I like the little club logo on the card.

You have a Creative Blaster VLB? Which organ did have to sell?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 10478 of 52759, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:

I like the little club logo on the card.

Should be Club3D. Nice that it's easy to identify.
I don't know if there are many manufacturers which have a logo which is based on their name, but not just the letters of the name. (Like those MSI heatsinks which spell MSI.)
Shuttle used to have a literal space shuttle as a logo, remember this from a 386 board, don't know how long they kept this.

Reply 10479 of 52759, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
HD3850 AGP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/vogons/diverse/2016-01-27%2000.15.00.jpg […]
Show full quote

HD3850 AGP:
2016-01-27%2000.15.00.jpg

Oh, i added one of these on my attempt of Retro Windows XP Machine, which is based on a Athlon 64 3200+ sk754, 2GB of ram and 500GB of hdd. It gave a new life to that machine as even Left4Dead2 is somewhat playable, even though it's a single core machine!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!