VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12960 of 52907, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At it again! I've been after a Voodoo2 for a while as I have use for one. 😀 Today I saw one in one of those "misc. stuff - $30" ads with a bunch of photos but no mention of it in the ad text. Naturally I had to head on over to the guy's place after work.

Here it is - condition unknown but it looks tidy so hopefully it's in good order:
1-voodoo.jpg

Unfortunately the deal was $30 FIRM, take it or leave it, and I had to take *all* the boxes. Non negotiable. Here's what just had to come with my little voodoo card:
2-voodoo.jpg

Of course these were full, mostly with junk:
3-voodoo.jpg
4-voodoo.jpg

To be fair I did see some other stuff that could be useful while I was at the guys place checking it all out. If I'd only wanted the voodoo card and he really wouldn't sell it alone, I would have walked. But after going through everything, here's some other stuff I saved, at least for as long as it takes me to test it and see how much of it works.

6-voodoo.jpg
7-voodoo.jpg

I *really* don't need any of the other PC components, but they don't take up much space so whatever. The Dreamcast apparently works except for the disc drive, so it's a candidate for an SD card reader mod which means I don't have to cut up my good one. The little Numark mixer is always handy and the OE PS2 gamepads are nicer than the junky 3rd-party ones I've been using. I'm not holding out much hope for the Xbox or the PS3 but who knows.

BTW that little card in front of the voodoo2 in the first pic (indicated by the arrow) is something I never would have thought existed until I saw it - a PCIe 56k modem. I guess *someone* had to make one. Look how tiny it is!

Also this appears to be a PS1/2 memory card reader for PC - neat!
8-voodoo.jpg

I also held onto the silver tower case and the box of xbox 360 motherboards for some reason. Maybe I can mount one of those in the case or make a laptop out of them.

So yeah, I probably got my $30 worth out of everything (unless *none* of it works), but I'm still kind of annoyed that I had to pay for the privilege of hauling this chucklehead's trash to the dump. There are still nearly two whole boxes of junk that have to go plus the filthy beige PC, that'll probably cost me money to dispose of. I wish people weren't so quick to devalue others' time.

At least I got my Voodoo2.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12962 of 52907, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

xjas, but that's a Voodoo 1!

Yeah, just realized that now looking it over. I guess I thought the V1 only had one 3DFX-branded chip on it so I assumed it was a V2. It doesn't matter as either one will work for what I wanted it for. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12963 of 52907, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going to slap your wrist for not recognizing a Diamond Monster 3D from _any_ seeing distance 😁 but it's alright, you'll soon see that most voodoo1s and voodoo2s follow very similar layouts respectively, and will be able to tell them apart from just about any other graphic cards on the market. 😀

The ones with covered chips like Voodoo3s are recognizable from the memory chip layout and the heatsink, though some Riva cards have similar heatsink so might be trickier to recognize. Banshees have more variations.

The AOpen seems to be a GF4 Ti 4200? Which is a good find if it works. The ATI Radeon I'm not sure... 9550 maybe.

Anyway, could be more worth than you paid for, who knows.. have fun testing!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12965 of 52907, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To me, dead unfixable hardware is junk and should be given away. (To a recycling center)
Dreamcast, Voodoo1, Xbox, gamepads, a mixer and AGP cards for 30!!! Damn sweet deal.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12966 of 52907, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

(Please right click > view image to see images in full size)

Please do this instead.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12967 of 52907, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this little guy today for 12$:

$_35.JPG

Not as interesting as Adlib or even my CT1320A, but it's an 8-bit card ant those are kinda esoteric to me!

I'm reading this is actually SB 2.0. 'clone' that was made by Aztec on Creative license due to supply shortages in Europe. It's said to be pretty rare this card.

Reply 12968 of 52907, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the Voodoo1 seems to work; I chucked it in my P4HT/3.0 winxp machine (of all things!) and installed a 3rd-party driver from falconfly.de with no problems. I didn't try running anything on it yet but it shows up in the device manager fine.

The little DJ mixer works fine too so there's my $30 in value for the lot.

I managed to briefly fix the bluetooth speaker which had blown its charging circuit somehow by splicing in an external power supply, but then the bt chip itself crapped out and stopped responding so (in the voice of Techmoan) it went in the bin.

The iPod doesn't work; won't power on or take a charge. Not too inclined to try to fix it. Maybe I'll pull the HDD.

Reply 12969 of 52907, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Love that Matrox Artex! I attempted to play the copy of Nascar that came with mine the other day, but using a Voodoo3, and the game wouldn't start! Complained that it couldn't find the relevant gfx hardware!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 12970 of 52907, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Well the Voodoo1 seems to work; I chucked it in my P4HT/3.0 winxp machine (of all things!) and installed a 3rd-party driver from falconfly.de with no problems. I didn't try running anything on it yet but it shows up in the device manager fine.

Nice. Note that some games have glitches on a V1 on machines faster than 400 MHz.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12971 of 52907, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Love that Matrox Artex! I attempted to play the copy of Nascar that came with mine the other day, but using a Voodoo3, and the game wouldn't start! Complained that it couldn't find the relevant gfx hardware!

Those old NASCAR games can be a right pain in the arse. Hard to get running sometimes, and when they do run, they aren't stable at all!

Reply 12972 of 52907, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:

Aztech NX II, one of the best 8 bit sound card one can get.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12973 of 52907, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kind of strange hearing someone praise Aztech. 🤣 They were the guys who manufactured the combo Sound and Modem cards for Packard Bell and were the cause of many a headache from owners. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 12974 of 52907, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

BTW that little card in front of the voodoo2 in the first pic (indicated by the arrow) is something I never would have thought existed until I saw it - a PCIe 56k modem. I guess *someone* had to make one. Look how tiny it is!

I just pulled one of those from an newer-ish HP with a Pentium E5200 in it. At first I thought it was a 1x PCIe Ethernet adapter at quick glance...until I realized it was a modem. 😕

Reply 12975 of 52907, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:
badmojo wrote:

Those old NASCAR games can be a right pain in the arse. Hard to get running sometimes, and when they do run, they aren't stable at all!

Agreed - took me months to find the right sound card setup combination in order to work with my Aztec SB Pro Compt. back in the day.

Love the boxed Matrox - there is just something about those old school boxes!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 12976 of 52907, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:
tikoellner wrote:

Aztech NX II, one of the best 8 bit sound card one can get.

Great news 😀

As I read, apart from Adlib and SB 2.0. emulation, it is also Disney Sound and Covox compatible, which is great. I may now say that I have any game covered. I also wonder if this card is going to be more silent than CT1320A. I suppose it will.

Reply 12977 of 52907, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
xjas wrote:

Nice. Note that some games have glitches on a V1 on machines faster than 400 MHz.

If You can call this a glitch. This is what I get on my KT7 Abit motherboard with any cpu over 600mhz. It can sometimes work at 650 - 700mhz but it's hit and miss

Attachments

• Image0058.jpg
    Filename
    Image0058.jpg
    File size
    371.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Image0057.jpg
    Filename
    Image0057.jpg
    File size
    205.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 12978 of 52907, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
At it again! I've been after a Voodoo2 for a while as I have use for one. :) Today I saw one in one of those "misc. stuff - $30" […]
Show full quote

At it again! I've been after a Voodoo2 for a while as I have use for one. 😀 Today I saw one in one of those "misc. stuff - $30" ads with a bunch of photos but no mention of it in the ad text. Naturally I had to head on over to the guy's place after work.

Here it is - condition unknown but it looks tidy so hopefully it's in good order:
1-voodoo.jpg

Unfortunately the deal was $30 FIRM, take it or leave it, and I had to take *all* the boxes. Non negotiable. Here's what just had to come with my little voodoo card:
2-voodoo.jpg

Of course these were full, mostly with junk:
3-voodoo.jpg
4-voodoo.jpg

To be fair I did see some other stuff that could be useful while I was at the guys place checking it all out. If I'd only wanted the voodoo card and he really wouldn't sell it alone, I would have walked. But after going through everything, here's some other stuff I saved, at least for as long as it takes me to test it and see how much of it works.

6-voodoo.jpg
7-voodoo.jpg

I *really* don't need any of the other PC components, but they don't take up much space so whatever. The Dreamcast apparently works except for the disc drive, so it's a candidate for an SD card reader mod which means I don't have to cut up my good one. The little Numark mixer is always handy and the OE PS2 gamepads are nicer than the junky 3rd-party ones I've been using. I'm not holding out much hope for the Xbox or the PS3 but who knows.

Also this appears to be a PS1/2 memory card reader for PC - neat!
8-voodoo.jpg

I also held onto the silver tower case and the box of xbox 360 motherboards for some reason. Maybe I can mount one of those in the case or make a laptop out of them.

So yeah, I probably got my $30 worth out of everything (unless *none* of it works), but I'm still kind of annoyed that I had to pay for the privilege of hauling this chucklehead's trash to the dump. There are still nearly two whole boxes of junk that have to go plus the filthy beige PC, that'll probably cost me money to dispose of. I wish people weren't so quick to devalue others' time.

At least I got my Voodoo2.

The filthy beige PC looks like it has a higher end motherboard in it based on the yellow colored PCI slots. If you're just going to toss it and the "junk" I'll make you an offer for it 🤣 no vintage electronics should ever be trashed as thats the mentality that has led to the current state of affairs regarding rarity. Also if thats a 16 or 32GB Memory Stick Pro Duo its actually worth a bit as is the Dreamcast (Somewhat rare console)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12979 of 52907, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
xjas wrote:

If You can call this a glitch. This is what I get on my KT7 Abit motherboard with any cpu over 600mhz. It can sometimes work at 650 - 700mhz but it's hit and miss

^^ That's exactly what I got when I tried NFS4 on it after I posted earlier. I guess we can call that "expected behavior" then.
I'll chuck it in a P2/400 system I have and see how it does. Should I bother to downclock it to 266?