VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13700 of 53040, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this NCR SlimLine 486, (PC only) i owned Keyboard and the 9" VGA B/W Monitor already.

486SX
8Mb Ram
Floppy
170Mb Disk
1Mb GD5428 ISA Graphics

Attachments

• ncr.jpg
    Filename
    ncr.jpg
    File size
    675.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13701 of 53040, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:

That sounds lovely, but I personally didn't see any small case ever. Yeah, I have few baby-AT, but that is too big for this board so it doesn't feel right to me...

Make your own case?

Reply 13703 of 53040, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

I don't recall seeing a mobo with what looks like a dual-chipset. What's the significance of the doubled VIA chips?

VPX northbridge and the southbridge.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13704 of 53040, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

I don't recall seeing a mobo with what looks like a dual-chipset. What's the significance of the doubled VIA chips?

VPX northbridge and the southbridge.

But northbridge and southbridge controlled by the same chip?

Reply 13705 of 53040, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SiliconClassics wrote:

Finally found an old Gateway 2000 Anykey at a thrift store! Been wanting one of these for years. It's got a PS/2 style connector and is in perfect condition aside from some mild yellowing. Time to mix up a batch of Retrobright...

IMG_20160911_161554.jpg

Oooooooo an AnyKey. I have an unhealthy fascination with those things for some reason. I'm sure if I had one I'd be annoyed at how huge it is but I can ogle yours from the other side of the internet. Nice find.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13706 of 53040, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unusual for me: I found something in the wild, in a charity shop!

601fC28l.jpg

A Konix Speedking, copyright 1986 - it's the single button model. Cost me £7, which I don't object to - it has nice sounding microswitches in both the joystick and the button! Yet to test it though.

Reply 13707 of 53040, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Got a Schneider EuroPC 1512SD (Amstrad 1512) + monitor and kb - intel 8086 @ 8mhz, 640kb ram, CGA graphics, 10MB HDD, 360kb 5.25" fdd - Stay tuned for pics 😁

Right - here's pics of the little XT:

iuVUtKBh.jpg

NNXxPHFh.jpg

It came with a CGA on board card and a monocrome monitor. Does anyone know if I can add a VGA card in one of these?

Here's how the GX400 socket 423 machine turned out after a little TLC:

before:

74huUrCl.jpg

after:

lTg8egrl.jpg

NVYaWNtl.jpg

I had to repaint the case - it was too badly scratched and it looked bleached. Unfortunately I could not find the original dark gray, so I used some flat 202 charcoal gray. It's slightly darker then the original, but I'm happy with the results.

Reply 13708 of 53040, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:

But northbridge and southbridge controlled by the same chip?

Nope. Two different chips. Check the part numbers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13710 of 53040, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GuyTechie wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

before:

I wish I could find an IDE Plextor drive... that 40x looks lovely!

These were all the rage back in 2000-2004 weren't they? I'm swapping this into my tualatin.

Reply 13711 of 53040, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Couple goodies on the way:

Another XG-DLS board, with brackets, a 550 Mhz 1MB Xeon and the steel backplate, insulation sheet and I/O plate. This is to be a direct swap into my Xeon Prime rig; if that works properly I can narrow down the motherboard as the issue and hopefully a recapping will fix the instability.

lKOKmDX.jpg
RHNipem.jpg

A Supermicro S2DL3 server board, with a couple 700 Mhz 1MB Xeons I totally need. It has no brackets for the procs either, but I have some on hand for this pattern of Slot-2 board. Also this board may support 5/12v Xeons at 100 and 133 Mhz FSB. I have a pair of 900 Mhz 2MB 5/12v procs to test this with.

Ideally I would like to throw a Voodoo5 5500 PCI on this thing, but I don't have one. Next best option I guess is a pair of Voodoo2s and another PCI video card as the main. If only this board was the S2DM3, I could use my Voodoo5 5500 AGP card.

qGf2fYt.jpg

Last edited by m1919 on 2016-09-16, 00:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 13712 of 53040, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought the following for $24 from a local eBay-like website:

- Hedaka Motherboard Intel 286 20Mhz CPU + 1mb SIPP Memory
160915235005_Hedaka286.jpg

- Oktec Panther II Motherboard AMD 386SXL-33Mhz CPU 2mb Memory
160915235954_Octek%20pemtherii386sxl33.jpg

- UNIC Motherboard AMD 386SXL-25Mhz 1mb Memory
160915235418_Univamd386sxl-25.jpg

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 13713 of 53040, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Right - here's pics of the little XT: […]
Show full quote
kanecvr wrote:

Got a Schneider EuroPC 1512SD (Amstrad 1512) + monitor and kb - intel 8086 @ 8mhz, 640kb ram, CGA graphics, 10MB HDD, 360kb 5.25" fdd - Stay tuned for pics 😁

Right - here's pics of the little XT:

iuVUtKBh.jpg

NNXxPHFh.jpg

It came with a CGA on board card and a monocrome monitor. Does anyone know if I can add a VGA card in one of these?

Here's how the GX400 socket 423 machine turned out after a little TLC:

before:

74huUrCl.jpg

after:

lTg8egrl.jpg

NVYaWNtl.jpg

I had to repaint the case - it was too badly scratched and it looked bleached. Unfortunately I could not find the original dark gray, so I used some flat 202 charcoal gray. It's slightly darker then the original, but I'm happy with the results.

Is that paint a little bit glossy / smooth? Where did you bought it?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13715 of 53040, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Is that paint a little bit glossy / smooth? Where did you bought it?

It's not actually. it seems glossier then usual because I used the flash on my phone - w/o flash the whole PC looked like a featureless black blob 🤣

I got the paint at my usual pain shop. Gunmetal Gray (gunmetalgrau 214) and Diamond Black (diamantswartz metallic 181) were a bit closer to the original color, but it's metallic paint and I wanted matte.

Reply 13716 of 53040, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a pair of A64 dual core am2 machines. Dell E521 and a custom built by a local pc shop that is still around.

Attachments

• 20160915_190525.jpg
    Filename
    20160915_190525.jpg
    File size
    2.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20160915_190509.jpg
    Filename
    20160915_190509.jpg
    File size
    2.72 MiB
    Views
    File license

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13717 of 53040, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Picked up a pair of A64 dual core am2 machines. Dell E521 and a custom built by a local pc shop that is still around.

They should call those damn things Heater/Computer combo's. My single core Athlon heated up my room as much as my Core2Quad. Make sure to reapply the thermal paste and clean them out. I once had a PC second hand with the cooling design that had which had been left on for basically 8 years straight according the HDD Smart reading and sucked in enough dust as to make the entire inside case, motherboard, and every component earth-tone (the color of dirt) with filth, you actually couldnt see chips on the motherboard or tell what color the PCB was.. It had even fowled the DVD drive bad enough it wouldnt open correctly. When i first turned it on it shot out this huge ass cloud of dust that make me choke and coated the wall in a thin layer of dust. I wish i had pictures. I don't know how that thing could suck in so much dust and still work. I remember the first time i opened the case it made me sick within 30 seconds to the point i threw up. It was basically gas attack in a box..... So on a sidenote wear something to keep that shit of your lungs.

Uses for AMD CPU's:

Processor
Heater
Cooking Device (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTtvA77AtBE)
Keychains

and to think i want to build a 1GHZ Tbird machine.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13718 of 53040, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today was an exhausting day.

I made the half hour trek on foot to the recycle center again (same place I got all that XT stuff) and this time I was once again rewarded richly. I found an AT clone in a horribly bent up case (marked "goof box" for whatever reason - huh), so I removed all of the parts and ditched the case, it being too heavy to carry back anyway. There were some pretty cool parts in there, including a Seagate HDD, but I wasn't allowed to take the hard drive because "it might have user data on it". Darn, oh well. I guess I'll stick with floppies for now.

There was also a humongous AT power supply (the fans still spin up when I flip the big red switch - does this mean it will work?) and two floppy drives, one 5 1/4" and one 3 1/2".

I also found two mechanical key keyboards (woo hoo!), one of which has a switch to go between XT and AT mode, so that solves my XT keyboard problem.

Pictures:

The mainboard. The CPU is an Intel 286 8 MHz. I also see an Intel 80287 coprocessor. Can somebody identify this for me? How much memory does it have (I assume the standard 640K, but you never know) and how do I upgrade it with more? For instance, if I want XMS or EMS, is there an add-on card for that? Sorry, but I just have never learned this stuff since I've never worked with pre-Pentium stuff before.

FullSizeRender_3.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender_3.jpg
File size
589.05 KiB
Views
File license

Now the video card, which is very hard to find on the internet but appears to be something by "Video 7". Question: what is Video 7? Is this EGA-compatible or what? I managed to find information on those DIP-switches, and, assuming that info is correct, the card is set to EGA mode. Apparently one of those RCA connectors is for composite out and the other is for a "light pen", whatever that is.

FullSizeRender_6.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender_6.jpg
File size
781.16 KiB
Views
File license

And this appears to be some kind of DAC. An audio DAC? I looked up those chips and they're supposed to be 16 bit audio DACs, but this obviously isn't a 16 bit card. What on earth is this?

FullSizeRender_7.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender_7.jpg
File size
767.53 KiB
Views
File license

And a 16-bit I/O card. This doesn't look like standard IDE so I have no idea what it is, but at least I know how to hook floppy drives to it so I can at least boot the system if and when I get it going.

FullSizeRender_4.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender_4.jpg
File size
805.34 KiB
Views
File license

And finally, unrelated to all of the above stuff, is the piece de resistance. I literally dipped my hand into a box full of random cables and junk parts, and pulled out this beauty:

FullSizeRender_5.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender_5.jpg
File size
830.46 KiB
Views
File license

Oh yes! I've wanted one of these for so long, and now I have it. Mwa ha ha ha! This will go into my far-in-the-future planned PIII rig, if and when that happens.

All of this stuff was a royal pain in the rear to haul back up to campus. I managed to stuff as much as I could in my backpack, and put the rest in a file archive box, hauling the whole lot the whole mile and a half back, up a steep hill at the end. Good exercise though 🤣

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13719 of 53040, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice haul, and great dedication to haul all that stuff back by foot! If I had that kind of stuff at a local recycling center, I'd make the walk too, I'm sure!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks