VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14781 of 52970, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had mine since my dad bequeathed his Katmai machine to me about ten years ago 😀

I'm pretty sure he had the card mostly because, as an engineer, he does a lot of CAD work. This was 1999, so Voodoo 3 was top of the line - but the card was Dell OEM, did Dell usually do that back in the day?

My guess is he just said "give me whatever's the best" since the processor was a 500MHz Katmai, and iirc this was early '99 when the PIII's first came out.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 14782 of 52970, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
P_20161119_112029.jpg
Filename
P_20161119_112029.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Picked up this little beauty today.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 14783 of 52970, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many happened from my last visit here that keeps me busy for some time,anyway wanna share some stuff i bought since last month:

An Xbox original fully working with few disks,seems softmodded,atm im waiting gamepad from aliexpress to arrive coz it came only with power and video cables.

rhqqwy6l.jpg

Power Mac G5 dual 2ghz,derped around it for week or so.
Ram originally was 2gb,that i expanded up to 4gb,has no system originally,installed 10.5.6 on it,traded for acer extensa ex2610 with haswell i3 few days ago.

ms6XfnQl.jpg

And latest find - Panasonic KXL-RW10A drive.

ROfpydcl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 14784 of 52970, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received this box :

IMG_20161119_105431.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161119_105431.jpg
File size
829.96 KiB
Views
File license

Might be very useful if I manage to use it. It could allow me to boot my 486 via the network and so not needing floppy disks anymore 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 14785 of 52970, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was in a flea market. Didn't get it, but it looked kinda cool.

Attachments

• mouse.jpg
    Filename
    mouse.jpg
    File size
    210.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14786 of 52970, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote:

This was in a flea market. Didn't get it, but it looked kinda cool.

We had the "adult" version of that trackball in the 90s. Worked well, big ball and buttons and solid build quality.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 14788 of 52970, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

..then after a few weeks the pivot points under the ball get dusty and the thing becomes a pain to use.

With most trackballs, yeah. This one wasn't so bad though. The ball was big, about the size of a billiard ball, so it took a lot to make it stick. It didn't need cleaning very often.

But I prefer mice. Trackballs are fine for office work, but graphic work demands more cursor control.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 14789 of 52970, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

You don't miss a good thing until it's gone...

You mean Voodoo3?

To be honest, I skipped Voodoo3 the day it came around, because unlike Voodoo2, it can't be SLIed. Setting your Voodoo in SLI was part of the fun, and I was kinda disappointed you couldn't SLI Voodoo3, so I went to TNT2 + Voodoo2 SLI instead.

Now my consideration is FSAA, so I prefer Voodoo5 to Voodoo3. Still, the latter seems to be more popular among us. Is Voodoo3 really that good?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14790 of 52970, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a Juko D16 8-bit AT IDE controller card for XT systems.
It wasnt really cheap, because it add extra customs fee to it. I have waited from the start to get one.. And i havent been on ebay for some days, and this card showed up.
I could leave it on ebay, or grab this one chance to get it.. What makes up my mind was this item is included with box and complete manual.. So it was very hard to leave it on ebay.
I know this card cant support bigger harddisks. But i was not intended too. A big harddisk makes an XT some what slow.. Probably till 100 - 150MB drive is good enough for me as max.
So a 55MB drive should be fine as well.

2z6dmic.jpg 2645lea.jpg
sevqxw.jpg 29cba6c.jpg

Does anybody knows if the D16 chip has an interchangeable counter part?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 14791 of 52970, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a virgin CT1350B Rev.06, it has never been inserted and it's clean and shiny.
Would you suggest keeping its virginity or testing it?
EDIT: clean up, too rude.

Virgin CT1350B Rev.06.jpg
Filename
File size
561.78 KiB
Views
File license
Pins 1.jpg
Filename
Pins 1.jpg
File size
389.05 KiB
Views
File license
Pins 2.jpg
Filename
Pins 2.jpg
File size
392.09 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by James-F on 2016-11-20, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 14793 of 52970, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
You mean Voodoo3? […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

You don't miss a good thing until it's gone...

You mean Voodoo3?

To be honest, I skipped Voodoo3 the day it came around, because unlike Voodoo2, it can't be SLIed. Setting your Voodoo in SLI was part of the fun, and I was kinda disappointed you couldn't SLI Voodoo3, so I went to TNT2 + Voodoo2 SLI instead.

Now my consideration is FSAA, so I prefer Voodoo5 to Voodoo3. Still, the latter seems to be more popular among us. Is Voodoo3 really that good?

V3 is the best choice for a lot of people: It is usually much cheaper and easier to find than v2 and has a better image quality and is almost as compatible with older glide games.
V5's is better just because of the raw speed and AA but it is way more expensive. Sli is just cool 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 14795 of 52970, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:
I got a virgin CT1350B Rev.06, it has never been inserted and it's clean and shiny. Would you suggest keeping its virginity or t […]
Show full quote

I got a virgin CT1350B Rev.06, it has never been inserted and it's clean and shiny.
Would you suggest keeping its virginity or testing it?
EDIT: clean up, too rude.

Pins 1.jpg
Pins 2.jpg

Keep it clean... you can allways test it ald later you could never bring it's virginity back 🤣

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 14796 of 52970, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

V3 is the best choice for a lot of people: It is usually much cheaper and easier to find than v2 and has a better image quality and is almost as compatible with older glide games.
V5's is better just because of the raw speed and AA but it is way more expensive. Sli is just cool 🤣

Ah, I also remember V3 does 16 bit color beautifully. I wonder if Voodoo5 can do that as well. I guess I'd need a V3 to compare its 16 bit color with that of Voodoo5.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14797 of 52970, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess the price hike is indicative that the supply may be drying up. People would naturally gravitate to the Voodoo 5, but those were always rarer and more expensive. The Voodoo 4 is far less common than the 3 and offers little more in most cases, so they'd go for the far more common Voodoo 3, and save money. That, and I think Voodoo prices in general are on the rise.

Reply 14798 of 52970, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can vouch for Voodoo 3 3000. Speed, speed and beautiful graphics.
The drool of my friends is still there in that room.
Greatest 3d card I've ever had. What those 3Dfx guys did with this Voodoo3 was surreal.
Nobody would have the guts. It was so brutal.
Yes, no 32-bits and 256*256 texture limitation (at that time I wasn't aware 😀)

All this corvesation made me thirsty for an Unreal session. All this with the 3Dfx watermark in the corner.

Voodoo 2 ? It's not that great. Voodoo 3 is a "3 in 1" after all.
The way to go is Voodoo1, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5 for fancy graphics.

I hope I don't get teleported to another thread: Voodoo discussion for retro PC. That's scaring!

Reply 14799 of 52970, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Frasco wrote:
I can vouch for Voodoo 3 3000. Speed, speed and beautiful graphics. The drool of my friends is still there in that room. Greates […]
Show full quote

I can vouch for Voodoo 3 3000. Speed, speed and beautiful graphics.
The drool of my friends is still there in that room.
Greatest 3d card I've ever had. What those 3Dfx guys did with this Voodoo3 was surreal.
Nobody would have the guts. It was so brutal.
Yes, no 32-bits and 256*256 texture limitation (at that time I wasn't aware 😀)

All this corvesation made me thirsty for an Unreal session. All this with the 3Dfx watermark in the corner.

Voodoo 2 ? It's not that great. Voodoo 3 is a "3 in 1" after all.
The way to go is Voodoo1, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5 for fancy graphics.

I hope I don't get teleported to another thread: Voodoo discussion for retro PC. That's scaring!

We have an ut99 server running I think (made possible by Jade Falcon), if you want, we could play a few games? 😀

And I'm glad I got a small stash of those Voodoo 3's while they were still easy and cheap to get (and easy to get cheaply).
In NL the Voodoo 3 2000 was mostly PCI and Voodoo 3 AGP there were many Voodoo 3 2000 in AGP form, but it seems I concentrated on getting the 3000 variants (and any PCI version as I figured PCI graphics cards from that era are a good thing to have anyway).

Anyway, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here already but I found some external CDROM burner USB made by Freecom. It came without its external PSU but since it's 12v I figured this wouldn't be much of an issue.

I opened her up and did find a bulging cap, so it will need repair. It's 40p IDE internally connected to some kind of USB adapter. It was only a couple € but I don't see these locally that often and I noticed the housing was basically an internal unit packaged to be an external unit.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!