Topic actions

Reply 17060 of 52886, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Can't see attached image, but Xtreme Audio model was a cheap trash card from Creative. Not a good sound card by any definition.

Cloudschatze wrote:

It powered-up just fine

That's obviously different unit.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17061 of 52886, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

It powered-up just fine

That's obviously different unit.

No, it's the same unit, but thanks for thinking that I have so little to do that I'd want to be pointlessly deceptive. Wow.

The volume knob is a spare that I had from a "parts" SC-88, if that's what's throwing you off.

Reply 17062 of 52886, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been looking for 2-3 years now for a spare lcd+shell for a 55mk2 mobo I have but nothing comes up - I really want a dead unit to fix mine, no point harvesting a working one 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17063 of 52886, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if that's what's throwing you off

No, noticeable scratch between PART and INSTRUMENT.

that I have so little to do that I'd want to be pointlessly deceptive

Or seller sent you different unit by mistake.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17064 of 52886, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Can't see attached image, but Xtreme Audio model was a cheap trash card from Creative. Not a good sound card by any definition.

Its Xtreme MUSIC not Audio sorry my error, so its a genuine XFi chipsrt card.,

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17066 of 52886, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Everything OK with you? Frankly I'm a little worried.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 17068 of 52886, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:
I guess this is from the early 00's and classifies as retro. A Numark DM1001X mixer with a couple of speakers, 10e from recycli […]
Show full quote

I guess this is from the early 00's and classifies as retro. A Numark DM1001X mixer with a couple of speakers, 10e from recycling.

14ub3p1.jpg

🤣
Those were definately around in '98. Keep searching though... banging on corrugated iron induces more of a sense of music than what eminates from that piss poor excuse for a transducer o.0
They originally came with 2 x Numark belt-drives and that mixer. My mate got them for xmas, but in blue (blue DM1001X too)!

$_86.JPG
Filename
$_86.JPG
File size
105.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My first foray into mixing. Listening to drum&bass through those speakers was pretty rough, in fact might as well drop the 'bass' part of the name. Good for beat-matching 😵

Reply 17069 of 52886, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

My first foray into mixing. Listening to drum&bass through those speakers was pretty rough, in fact might as well drop the 'bass' part of the name. Good for beat-matching 😵

There is the very occasional mention of retro music hardware on here. I cut my teeth on a pair of SoundLab DLP-3R belt drives and a crappy Kam mixer. Cash converters jobby. Fortunately I had half decent speakers. And by half decent I mean big but underpowered with low impedance. The impedance set my first amp on fire and the low power led to their own death by fire while the amp laughed like a maniac. I was playing DJ Zinc in the pub last night!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17070 of 52886, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That "scratch" was a white paint scuff. It came right off with rubbing alcohol.

Thank-you for wasting my time further. Really appreciate it.

Reply 17071 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My lot of untested cards arrived... I'm pissed. 8 out of 10 are completely dead including the main reasons I purchased aka the GTX 285 and the 7800GS OC agp.

I expected 2 or 3 to be dead but I expected to easily still get at least 6 or 7 working 20-50 dollar GPUs out of my $25 dollar investment. That seller tested these cards and found they were dead so I'm expecting the other 2 that posted to fail there 3D tests. 8 out of 10 is out side of the usual range of failure for a non-recycler sold lot of cards.

The 7800GS is absolutely filthy but looks intact. I'm hoping a good solid cleaning will do the trick for it. I just need to research the proper way to clean GPUs. At least 3 others are missing caps so those might be easily fixed when I get around to getting a proper soldering kit. The 8800GTX artifacts on post so I suspect the RAM is bad, again probably fixable just not as easy. The 8600GT is missing caps and the cooler is mangaled. Might be fixable. The others are visually intact which means either the core on them are dead or they didn't like my testing board (Dell OEM ASUS M2N nForce4 board). So I guess I'll keep them all around for the future.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17072 of 52886, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Unscrew the fan, tear the sticker on the back and then you should be in front to the fan's axis. Add just a little bit of oil or grease to make it work again. Then put back the sticker and re screw it and if you're lucky, the fan should work again

Do this! I put 2 drops of new motor oil in the fan bearing for my PCI ATI Radeon 9100, last summer. Fan still works fine at full speed. No rattle noise anymore either. Dunno how long it'll last but so far almost a year. It definitely works. Or at least extends the life of the fan a while longer.

I have WD40, will that work?

Reply 17073 of 52886, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Unscrew the fan, tear the sticker on the back and then you should be in front to the fan's axis. Add just a little bit of oil or grease to make it work again. Then put back the sticker and re screw it and if you're lucky, the fan should work again

Do this! I put 2 drops of new motor oil in the fan bearing for my PCI ATI Radeon 9100, last summer. Fan still works fine at full speed. No rattle noise anymore either. Dunno how long it'll last but so far almost a year. It definitely works. Or at least extends the life of the fan a while longer.

WD40 might work for a little bit but it will quickly dry up.

The best thing I have found is full Synthetic motor oil. 5w-20 or 10w-30 works fine. Been using only that for a few years now and have not had to re-oil any fans I have oiled with it.

I even have an old space heater that I got for free that the fan was completely seized up on. After taking the fan apart and cleaning out the original dried up gunk and oiling it with full synthetic motor oil it worked, and has worked fine ever since. That was over 5 years ago.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17074 of 52886, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found this Turtle Beach Tropez Classic v2.0 on eBay for a song - apparently right after it was listed. Pretty sure nobody else here saw it or else it would have been gone.

33922587404_3df93cae99_c.jpg

The RAM slots look like the alignment pieces are messed up on the bottom of the card, but it should still work fine.

Other than that, it looks pristine.

Anybody have any idea on where to get wavesets to load onto this thing?

The specs say it can take a max of 12MB of RAM. Is that the real limit? Has anybody tried larger than 4MB sticks?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17075 of 52886, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
dexvx wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Don't ever use wd-40. It's a penetrating oil and will make the problem worse in the long big run as will will eat the grease in the bearings. A better thing to do(if the bearing arnt sealed) is to re grease the bearings. Or just replace them and clean the impeller shaft and a dap of 3n1 oil, bearings for RC cars would work if you get the right size.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-05-20, 04:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17076 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaned the 7800GS OC inside and out. Waiting for it to dry completely before trying it. Some of the screws that held the cooler on were rusted and the cooler was full of this black gunk crap I cannot identify. Not good signs.

I'm going to try the bake trick on the two 8800 and the GTX285. The others aren't worth the trouble/waste of thermal paste or need caps first. At least by the time I'm done with all this I should be a master in GPU repair.

Does anybody here have experience baking GPUs?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17078 of 52886, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Cleaned the 7800GS OC inside and out. Waiting for it to dry completely before trying it. Some of the screws that held the cooler on were rusted and the cooler was full of this black gunk crap I cannot identify. Not good signs.

I'm going to try the bake trick on the two 8800 and the GTX285. The others aren't worth the trouble/waste of thermal paste or need caps first. At least by the time I'm done with all this I should be a master in GPU repair.

Does anybody here have experience baking GPUs?

Yeah, and it was a bad experience. I tried baking a couple different dead cards and I guess I had the temp up too high because it melted all the plastic bits. The cards weren't really worth anything even if they did work so it wasn't really a loss.

What you really want is a soldering station with a hot air gun. Reflowing using one of those is a piece of cake.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17079 of 52886, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried it with some ATi card (long time ago), used the method with aluminum foil and hot air gun, it wasn't showing anything before, after it developed tons of artifacts. The card went to dumpster.