Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23340 of 52747, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:
I received a big box with goodies yesterday. Actually it where 4 boxes... :lol: Unfortunatly we went on a short holiday today s […]
Show full quote

I received a big box with goodies yesterday. Actually it where 4 boxes... 🤣
Unfortunatly we went on a short holiday today so no pics so far.
Some highlights are:
- Pentium 66 mhz socket 4 in pristine condition.
- Boxed Voodoo 5500 AGP
- Voodoo 3500 incl cable and driver disc
- Matrox M3D
- Asus 386/64k Motherboard

And lots of other boards, cards and extras..

Will take some time to test when I am back, but it makes me a happy guy!

Can believe that - that's some fancy stuff you got there!

Yeah really happy I managed to make a few good deals..
A small AT tower was also among the lot and a nice VLB mobo..

dionb wrote:

What board is the P66 on? Or is it just the P5?

This time only the P5. Tried to get a SIS based socket 4 motherboard but was overbid a small 150 dollar.. 🤣

Last edited by Nvm1 on 2018-05-07, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23341 of 52747, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Twins!

Attachments

• 20180507_135505.jpg
    Filename
    20180507_135505.jpg
    File size
    392.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 23342 of 52747, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Twins!

Used to have one of those, and it was sooooo noisy (not even just the seek noise, but the spindle itself at full RPM). How ear-piercing could two at once be? 😈

Reply 23343 of 52747, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batyra wrote:
dionb wrote:

I may have to start a colour build too - my son's complaining about the boring green and brown PCBs in his computer - he wants it all red. Doing that with Super So7 is going to be quite a challenge 😜

Super Socket 7 is a challenge... I have one red PCB socket 7 motherbard and red PCB simm RAM... but it was EXTREMELY hard to find...

BATYRA_REDbuild.jpg

Wow, never heard about the idea of colour builds (although I entertained the thought of building a PC with MSI K7T Turbo red board and Gainward GeForce 3 Ti with red PCB about 15 years ago). Do you guys have more photos of such "themed" builds? Perhaps it would deserve a separate thread?

Reply 23344 of 52747, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a "complete" system, ASUS CUV4X, one Pentium 3 1.1ghz(i guess the 100fsb), some ram(i think 2x256 PC133) one unknown vga card(not described) and a power supply for equivalent to US$20 (with shipping included), i will post pictures as soon as it arrives 😀

Reply 23345 of 52747, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

I traded mine some time ago so I have to get it back 😀
WaveBlaster II ct1910

waveblaster2.jpg

Could you please make a recording of E1M1 on AWE32 with WaveBlaster II? I often read that Waveblaster expands the polyphony on AWE32 (like it somehow works simultaneously with EMU8000), but could never find any proof.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 23346 of 52747, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this 486 board:

WP_20180507_005.jpg
Filename
WP_20180507_005.jpg
File size
731 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I removed the batterie, but diddn't tried to start it yet. Diddn't find it on http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/ yet...

edit: EISA slots, am i right?

Reply 23347 of 52747, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The two at the bottom are EISA and the rest are ISA 8-bit/16-bit and XT 8-bit. I see no damage from the battery and you're lucky to remove it at the nick of time.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23349 of 52747, by kev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

I got a "complete" system, ASUS CUV4X, one Pentium 3 1.1ghz(i guess the 100fsb), some ram(i think 2x256 PC133) one unknown vga card(not described) and a power supply for equivalent to US$20 (with shipping included), i will post pictures as soon as it arrives 😀

i have 2 cuv4x-d with beta bios running tualatins at 2ghz:) been like that for many years 🤣 also it can play crysis haha but i also have a 3850 agp in it
just fyi the cu4x-d can run 4gb ram think your can too not sure

Last edited by kev on 2018-05-08, 01:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 23350 of 52747, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not EISA. OPTi Local Bus...despite the UMC chipset.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23352 of 52747, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Twins!

Used to have one of those, and it was sooooo noisy (not even just the seek noise, but the spindle itself at full RPM). How ear-piercing could two at once be? 😈

Unfortunately I only have one 68 pin SCSI cable

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 23353 of 52747, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Thanks for your replies, guys!

Seems like I've got some experimenting to do then 😀 If there aren't a lot of blind traces from the waveblaster header leading to unpopulated solder pads, I'll just try soldering in a pinheader, it can't possibly damage anything at least.

Ah cool, noticed those extra connections after buying the card, and started wondering if it wasn't really an ISA card, but some proprietary Compaq stuff.

I am almost 100% sure the waveblaster header should work if you solder it in.

Good news. It's easy enough to give it a shot anyways, I'll just do it to see if it works 😀

Reply 23354 of 52747, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: The images are way too big 😒 I'll try to reduce their size somehow...
OK, I fixed them now =)

So I went down to the recycling center today to see what they had in the giant piles of old computer parts (yes, it is as good as it sounds).

They gave me the following for $40:

First of all, these strange "sound" cards. I can't figure out what on earth they are. They don't even seem to be a recognizable form factor...
MaJBmJ4.jpg
A0ssdr3.jpg

Next, various other cards...

ISA network
PjINFsA.jpg

ISA Floppy/IDE
zLeSyTg.jpg

Some kind of serial card?
cMvlQcb.jpg

Very beat-up Trident VGA card. One of the memory slots is shot...
GnS2TYt.jpg

ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP
cRieljn.jpg

PCI IDE. This could come in very handy.
2zNSIcH.jpg

Next, some CPUs...

2 x 486DX/33, 2 x 486DX2/66
2oRUaQJ.jpg

3 Pentium 166's, and I think one of them is MMX.
cIZQjL8.jpg

And 2 original Pentiums! I think these are very cool. 60 and 66 MHz.
ZZBSYA7.jpg

One Socket 7 motherboard:
8fThAZW.jpg

160GB hard drive (the only IDE drive less than 300GB I could find... 😒 )
d8yr5U4.jpg

And also one little HP PS/2 mouse...
OovUcuU.jpg

This very cool Commodore 64 motherboard, which I have no idea what I will do with but I threw it in anyway.
I also got a Commodore 64 disk drive they had there, for the same reason... maybe someday I will get a C64. We'll see.
poQRuJl.jpg

I also got a ton of SIMM and laptop memory sticks. May my ziploc bags never run empty.

And finally, the piece de resistance......

l6WJlvZ.jpg

An Ampex ATR-700 reel to reel tape deck! I've been keeping an eye out for a reel to reel tape deck for some time. Apparently this is a good model.

This one looks to have some issues, notably the right channel won't record, and the sound is quite muffled. I'll be opening it up and giving it a lookover to see if I can figure out what's wrong with it. Either way, I'm quite excited about it.

Any thoughts on the cards I got or the motherboard? I have a nice Socket 5 machine and I have some Socket 7 motherboards already so I really don't know what I'm going to do with the Socket 7 board... it would be cool to do something with the OG Pentiums someday when I maybe have a Socket 4 board.

I'd really like to start working on a 486. I have a Socket 3 motherboard... and now, maybe I have the right CPU for the job, plus all the cards I would need.

Last edited by keenmaster486 on 2018-05-08, 07:05. Edited 2 times in total.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 23355 of 52747, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

So I went down to the recycling center today to see what they had in the giant piles of old computer parts (yes, it is as good as it sounds).

They gave me the following for $40

Nice haul, you're right though, those pics could be a tad smaller 😉

Audio cards are Nubus, for older Macs.

Reply 23356 of 52747, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

Really! That's very interesting. They're of no use to me then. Are they worth anything?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 23358 of 52747, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

Really! That's very interesting. They're of no use to me then. Are they worth anything?

I don't know anything about the ones you have, but usually they have breakout boxes or cables with audio IO. From what I've seen they sell if priced in the $20 start range, but most sellers ask $50+ and they sit around getting relisted for ages. This is based on having 'nubus' as a saved eBay search 😀