VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25380 of 52352, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, not really... I passed on one for $20 a while ago, regretted that, and then eventually picked up another for $25. They're not in V5 territory yet.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25381 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I paid $50 + S&H (new) for my PCI 3000 card, yet, I paid about $20 or so for the VooDoo2 card that has 12MB of RAM on it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25382 of 52352, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Next time don't be cheap 🤣 As I've seen those CPU adapters sell for more then that, not to mention the Voodoo3 card. He'd sell it even for 100USD BIN or more.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 25384 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

Wasn't me although I did bid on it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25385 of 52352, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Alright, which one of you bastards outbid me on that 1.4GHz powerleap Dell Dimension XPS T450 on eBay with a VooDoo3? 🙁

Wasn't me. Maybe it was Jade falcon again. I have car repairs that need to be done, and bills, too.

You've been trying to fix that car for weeks!

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 25386 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroBoogie wrote:

Got this odd item in the mail today. Can't wait to test it out!

hey hey! good to see another card reach their new home 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25387 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this unusual 286 motherboard with weird power connector. Fortunately the same seller had a matching power supply. Hope they both work or else I'm screwed. Or not, as they are both supposed to be tested, guaranteed to work. Does anyone have information about this motherboard or the system it came from? They were listed as "Wyse PC 286 900095-35 WY-2200-01 System Board 990078-05" and "Wyse PC 286 900095-35 WY-2200-01 Power Supply PSU 840355-02 99-0080" respectively. I can't seem to find anything in the usual places (TH99 etc) All I found is this brochure: http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/thearchive/ … yse%20pc286.PDF

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25388 of 52352, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
RetroBoogie wrote:

Yup! Bought another MIDI cable today so I can hook up the MT-32 and SC-55 simultaneously. Need to find another use for my MIDI breakout gameport cable now. Thanks keropi!

Reply 25389 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ this is exactly why 2xOUT exists, this external combo 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25390 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Alright, which one of you bastards outbid me on that 1.4GHz powerleap Dell Dimension XPS T450 on eBay with a VooDoo3? 🙁

Wasn't me. Maybe it was Jade falcon again. I have car repairs that need to be done, and bills, too.

You've been trying to fix that car for weeks!

It's almost done. On top of that, I cannot afford a newer car, title, or insurance with my salary; most of the dealerships want you to make at least $2,000/month for financing and good credit.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25391 of 52352, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

Got this unusual 286 motherboard with weird power connector. Fortunately the same seller had a matching power supply. Hope they both work or else I'm screwed. Or not, as they are both supposed to be tested, guaranteed to work. Does anyone have information about this motherboard or the system it came from? They were listed as "Wyse PC 286 900095-35 WY-2200-01 System Board 990078-05" and "Wyse PC 286 900095-35 WY-2200-01 Power Supply PSU 840355-02 99-0080" respectively. I can't seem to find anything in the usual places (TH99 etc) All I found is this brochure: http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/thearchive/ … yse%20pc286.PDF

Nico one! When power supply is not working, shou should be able to build an adapter to a standard AT supply using the plug you got. The board itself is AT.

Reply 25392 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Nico one! When power supply is not working, shou should be able to build an adapter to a standard AT supply using the plug you got. The board itself is AT.

Well except that there seems to be an extra 6-pin small plug which I think goes to another connector on the motherboard (separated from the main power plug by a large DIP IC).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25393 of 52352, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:
Got this unusual 286 motherboard with weird power connector. Fortunately the same seller had a matching power supply. Hope they […]
Show full quote

[...]

image.jpg

It's a Wyse system. They used to have a moderately successful PC business next to the terminal line they are more famous for.

Can't say too much about the power supply, but that RJ-10 connector next to the AT keyboard connector is for a Wyse (terminal) keyboard. They are nice things, usually with Cherry Black switches - and dirt-cheap as no one can use them these days. I picked one up for less than EUR 20 a while back for my Wyse 386 (which is a much weirder beast).

Last edited by dionb on 2018-09-28, 11:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25394 of 52352, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroBoogie wrote:
keropi wrote:
RetroBoogie wrote:

Yup! Bought another MIDI cable today so I can hook up the MT-32 and SC-55 simultaneously. Need to find another use for my MIDI breakout gameport cable now. Thanks keropi!

Unless I'm missing something, can't you just use the MIDI thru port of the SC-55 for that, or a MIDI splitting box?

Reply 25395 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes you can yawetaG but what's even better is to have a card that already outputs 2 midi signals - that way you don't use THRU or separate devices. Just gives a little more freedom.

Reply 25396 of 52352, by Danny74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Madowax wrote:
First post in this thread for me. […]
Show full quote

First post in this thread for me.

FvmpZZT.jpg

Hybrid 386/486 SiS461 Full-length Isa SBC by Macrotek Inc.
Model written on board: Vertex M1
L2 Cache:256kb

Cpu and Cache jumper settings written on the back, unfortunately the I/O jumper settings are missing and Macrotek does not exist anymore evens if their website is still up and running. It's in very good conditions, almost like new, if not for a pcb corner which got damaged in the shipping.
Still nice for 35 euros.

I’m looking for this particular sbc vertex m1, where I can buy this

Reply 25397 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Can't say too much about the power supply, but that RJ-10 connector next to the AT keyboard connector is for a Wyse (terminal) keyboard. They are nice things, usually with Cherry Black switches - and dirt-cheap as no one can use them these days. I picked one up for less than EUR 20 a while back for my Wyse 386 (which is a much weirder beast).

Ah interesting. I didn't know about the keyboards. That explains a post I found on a board from 2001 where someone explains how to make an adapter for the "wyse 4-pin connector" so you can use it as a regular AT keyboard. It's a simple cable adapter because the keyboards are in fact AT just with a weird connector. I see a trend here. 😀

I'm still looking for connector/jumper configuration info for the motherboard with little success.

Can't wait to get this motherboard and play with it. For some reason 286 systems fascinate me. They're such weird beasts all of them.

(edit) found someone on reddit who has one of these https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … ibm_clone_1987/ Supposedly they have the manuals and disks for this; I sent a message, keeping my fingers crossed. 😀

Last edited by stamasd on 2018-09-28, 11:47. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25398 of 52352, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

Ah interesting. I didn't know about the keyboards. That explains a post I found on a board from 2001 where someone explains how to make an adapter for the "wyse 4-pin connector" so you can use it as a regular AT keyboard. It's a simple cable adapter because the keyboards are in fact AT just with a weird connector. I see a trend here. 😀

Be careful with that, some of them could be, but others are quite different - there's a lot of variability in the keyboards:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51079.0

It is possible to convert to USB (or assumedly to AT), but it requires a microcontroller in between:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52597.0

I'm still looking for connector/jumper configuration info for the motherboard with little success.

Can't wait to get this motherboard and play with it. For some reason 286 systems fascinate me. They're such weird beasts all of them.

Getting documentation on Wyse systems is a pain, getting anything even resembling information on most 286 even more so - so where those two meet, get ready to have to be very creative 😉

Reply 25399 of 52352, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

I cannot afford a newer car, title, or insurance with my salary; most of the dealerships want you to make at least $2,000/month for financing and good credit.

Aw, man, that's not good. United States are not what they used to be. Hang in there.

Recommended lecture to non-US folks who still believe in American Dream: "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" by Barbara Ehrenreich.