VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27080 of 52759, by Whelmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Unisys Aquanta SC arrived.

Heard rattling inside the case when I unpacked it which is never good. Upon opening it I see the battery has come loose as well as one stick of ram. The battery holder appears to just naturally be loose by design so no wonder that came out. The ram on the other hand appears that one of the plastic notches that clip into the holes on the ram has broken off, but seems to still be held in place well enough otherwise upon reinsertion.

Gallery
https://imgur.com/a/RGkPBH5

Attachments

• mail3.jpg
    Filename
    mail3.jpg
    File size
    197.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27082 of 52759, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

got 2 NOS 286/12.5mhz mobos, boxed/complete

q4XJqi5l.jpg

only 1MB of ram though - but it can be a classic 286/EGA/AdLib build 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27083 of 52759, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
got 2 NOS 286/12.5mhz mobos, boxed/complete […]
Show full quote

q4XJqi5l.jpg

Doesn't even look like a barrel battery was installed at the factory from the looks of the pads. Nice condition!

Reply 27084 of 52759, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ correct, batteries were external and that was great for the long run 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27085 of 52759, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
got 2 NOS 286/12.5mhz mobos, boxed/complete […]
Show full quote

q4XJqi5l.jpg

Great stuff Leo!!

Reply 27086 of 52759, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Whelmy wrote:
The Unisys Aquanta SC arrived. […]
Show full quote

Heard rattling inside the case when I unpacked it which is never good. Upon opening it I see the battery has come loose as well as one stick of ram. The battery holder appears to just naturally be loose by design so no wonder that came out. The ram on the other hand appears that one of the plastic notches that clip into the holes on the ram has broken off, but seems to still be held in place well enough otherwise upon reinsertion.

Gallery

I like that case - are you going to retrobrite it ?

And a loose battery holder has its advantages 🤣 replacing the battery on my IBM Aptiva took me like an hour because the pin holding it into place was so tight, removing the battery required me to insert all sorts of metal prongs to lift it up so I could finally get it out of the socket. I almost damaged the board getting it out!

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 27087 of 52759, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

Rescued this Terratec sound card with a Crystal CS4630. Aparently it can do A3D really well and rivals the Vortex chips. Will have to put it in a PC and test it out when I have the chance.

P_20190204_204655.jpg

Ahh a SixFire 5.1, awesome PCI card. CS4630 is my favorite PCI chipset thesedays, but I lack this card despite being a huge Terratec fan. I need to rectify this..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27088 of 52759, by Whelmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote:
Whelmy wrote:
The Unisys Aquanta SC arrived. […]
Show full quote

Gallery

I like that case - are you going to retrobrite it ?

And a loose battery holder has its advantages 🤣 replacing the battery on my IBM Aptiva took me like an hour because the pin holding it into place was so tight, removing the battery required me to insert all sorts of metal prongs to lift it up so I could finally get it out of the socket. I almost damaged the board getting it out!

I think eventually yes I will, if anything just to see the original colour which should more match the painted steel case. A few nicks down to bare steel can be seen on the case itself so eventually repainting the whole thing may be in order I'd just have to find a paint that matches the stock colour.

The floppy drive was giving all kinds of trouble refusing to fully read floppies, after pulling it all out, replacing the drive and even the cable still gave the same error. went back to the original cable and now it's all working again... so not sure what that was all about. Hard drive has no bad sectors so that's nice. But boy does the PSU get hot. Outer casing is at the point where another degree or so it would be to hot to place your hand against it.

Need to look into getting a better exhaust fan. 60mm? I think. Not sure how effective it can be when the system is fully enclosed there are no air vents on the front, top, bottom or sides.

Reply 27089 of 52759, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Arrived today. 540mb. Conner Hard-drive “Made in U.S.A.” It spins up a little loud but tolerable. Has that unique Conner drive “Click-i-ty” sound when reading and writing. Very retro, I love it. It’s not to big, standard 3.5 drive but about twice the height of a standard hard-drive.

I have it setup with DOS 6.22 and Win311 for testing. Going to go in my “All USA 486 Build”.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-02-05, 03:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27090 of 52759, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roland SC-7.

I was browsing Gumtree (sort of like Craigslist) and came across someone selling a big set of PA gear. In the mix was a lonely SC-7. Each item had a price, the SC-7 was listed as free. Now Gumtree is meant for face to face cash transactions only, but I took the risk anyway. I messaged the seller and asked if they'd be willing to ship the SC-7 alone (I'm in another state), and I'd pay the shipping cost + about $20 extra for their time. They agreed (yay!) and it arrived today.

GKGbLFwl.jpgR5eU88Ol.jpgQR5ewgbl.jpgPsm8XFkl.jpg

I'll clean it up and get it some new feet and it should be great. 😁

Reply 27092 of 52759, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ never heard of that either. From the way the plastic panels fit together & the quality of the I/O jacks on the back, they sure weren't aiming it at the high end of the market.

@x0zm: post some sound samples if you get the chance! Inquiring minds want to know.

From Wikipedia:

The "Standard" drum set of the Roland SC-7 (or other similar Roland product) can be recognized in various (low-budget) television or music productions.

The SC-7, along with other Roland Sound Canvas products are one of the popular choices of MIDI instruments used to generate instrumental elevator music, as well as MIDI-based background music for various television test pattern sequences.

(Emphasis mine.) I think that sums it up well... 😁

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 27093 of 52759, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems to be a cut back version of the SC-55 for home/budget uses. I'll record some samples this week alongside the SC-55 and see how they compare from the same source/file.

I'll see if I can source a local USB to MIDI cable at a reasonable price since I've been meaning to get one of those for awhile and it will generally make recording easier in the future. Failing that, I'll whip out the old trusty XP box and record on that.

Reply 27094 of 52759, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
^^ never heard of that either. From the way the plastic panels fit together & the quality of the I/O jacks on the back, they sur […]
Show full quote

^^ never heard of that either. From the way the plastic panels fit together & the quality of the I/O jacks on the back, they sure weren't aiming it at the high end of the market.

@x0zm: post some sound samples if you get the chance! Inquiring minds want to know.

From Wikipedia:

The "Standard" drum set of the Roland SC-7 (or other similar Roland product) can be recognized in various (low-budget) television or music productions.

The SC-7, along with other Roland Sound Canvas products are one of the popular choices of MIDI instruments used to generate instrumental elevator music, as well as MIDI-based background music for various television test pattern sequences.

(Emphasis mine.) I think that sums it up well... 😁

I wouldn't really say it is a junky module... people seem to like it a lot:
https://sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/rolandsc7/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27095 of 52759, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an SC-7 myself. Really nice little device, though the input volume pot on the back is bad on mine and I could never find a replacement (I made a thread about it a while back).

If that part is working, this is a really special little device for a simple retro PC setup since it does the job of mixing another source with the SC7's output.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27096 of 52759, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SC-55 is definitely an upgrade, but the SC-7 is still a nice module and a good find.

Are you planning on checking it over internally for aged out components?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 27097 of 52759, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Are you planning on checking it over internally for aged out components?

Already took it apart (pics were in my build log thread). Didn't know if it had a battery so it was the first thing I checked for. Everything looks fine at a cursory glance, but I'll give it a proper look over and check w/ multimeter when I have more time to sit down with it, as it requires desoldering the RF shield to get at most of the components.

XjOyh80l.jpg

Reply 27098 of 52759, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The sc-7 is basically the external version of scb-7 so this little box is great for GM music - in games it sounds like the sc-55. Good stuff.

Reply 27099 of 52759, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What am I looking at here? Never saw an SB Live like this.. Really about to just grab it, if I can locate drivers for it.

Attachments

• x16_6564483156jx.jpg
    Filename
    x16_6564483156jx.jpg
    File size
    345.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • x16_656448315vpn.jpg
    Filename
    x16_656448315vpn.jpg
    File size
    585.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.