Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:
Got an Edison Gold 16 today […]
Show full quote

Got an Edison Gold 16 today

hf71a3ym.jpg

It's based on ESS AudioDrive 688FC-based card, it's non-PnP and has a dedicated OPL3 chip. I like cards that are bigger and have a lot of circuitry, so this is probably the reason I wanted this card for a long time. It's going to be used in a 486 build as soon as I get one last part from it (don't want to jinx it 😀 ).

Good looking card, especially the multi CD ports for different CD-ROM drives. If I found a card like that, I'd swap it with my CT2740 card.

Bought 1Mb SRAM chips and ZIP video RAM for my Packard Bell, motherboard, screws, heatsink, Core i5-2450M, HDD/RAM/Wireless card cover, and a keyboard for my ASUS X54C laptop, computer case locks for my tall, beefy case (will come in handy), and a record for my dad (something old, something new) on eBay.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27421 of 52700, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Show full quote

hf71a3ym.jpg

It's based on ESS AudioDrive 688FC-based card, it's non-PnP and has a dedicated OPL3 chip. I like cards that are bigger and have a lot of circuitry, so this is probably the reason I wanted this card for a long time. It's going to be used in a 486 build as soon as I get one last part from it (don't want to jinx it 😀 ).

So you're the one who won that auction. This was going to go into MY 486 build 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 27422 of 52700, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:

So you're the one who won that auction. This was going to go into MY 486 build 🤣

I don't think I did. I got it for 9 bucks in Moscow from a local classified, no auction involved 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 27424 of 52700, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Good point.

Here's a link for a BIOS for the board:
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Spring% … nload.htm#Forex

Now, not been able to find manual or jumper settings, but looks like I have been able to trace this board's recent history 😮

Feb 7th: offered for sale on kalaydo.de by someone in Hemer (just east of Dortmund)
https://www.kalaydo.de/kleinanzeigen/mainboar … tro/a/a9cfbabe/
Clearly the same board, look at the scuff marks on the cache chips and even the direction individual tantalum caps ara pointing.
Also posted on ebay kleinanzeigen:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/s … 128729-225-1425

Feb 12th: user 6502 on dosreloaded.de (apparently living in Wölfersheim, just above Frankfurt) announces he just bought it
https://dosreloaded.de/forum/index.php/Thread … 62617#post62617

Feb 14th: re-listed on Quoka.de, but still from Hemer
https://www.quoka.de/computer/mainboards-cpus … f586-vip3a.html

And now on Feb 22nd it's arrived in NL 😜

Given 6502 looks like a serious enthousiast, I fear he tried and failed to get it working, then dumped it again. Only difference between your pic and the earlier ones is the BIOS sticker - sometime between Feb 14th and now it's been removed. Looks like re-flashing the BIOS has also already been tried... that said, it's still badly inserted in the socket in exactly the same way (right end sticking out a bit) - maybe not been tried yet.

Well, good news; The board posts but has some dirty contacts. Tried with an ISA Realtek VGA card first and I need to wobble a bit to get the card sometimes going. Took the card out and a crapload of sticky dust came out on the ISA contacts. Second tried with my just arrived Voodoo Rush card and that works more reliable.
Time and date are way off so the battery will be desoldered as soon as possible. It is turning out to be an interesting (dirty) board..

Reply 27425 of 52700, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Show full quote

hf71a3ym.jpg

Congrats on the pickup. I've been wanting to pick up one of these cards for a while now. Like you I like the fact its a long card. I'm really interested to see how it works with something like a DB50XG attached to it. I'm interested to hear how you find it.

Reply 27426 of 52700, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
Show full quote

hf71a3ym.jpg

Interesting, I have two Edison Gold-16s but they don't quite look like yours. Apparently yours is a Rev1.0 and mine are Rev3.2Bs:

Edison-Gold-16-A.jpg Edison-Gold-16-B.jpg

I uploaded the driver disks' images for these cards onto vogons drivers fyi; it includes the TSR you need for the MPU-401 port to work.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-02-22, 22:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27427 of 52700, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ 16s , s stands for small
🤣 🤣 🤣 (no idea really)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27428 of 52700, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And for inserting a big Daughterboard, you would need a 2x13 (26-pin) ribbon cable for that, right? It's cool to see a card that has 4 different CD-ROM controllers on there for every proprietary CD-ROM out there, and the WaveTable header is the icing on the cake.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27429 of 52700, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GAH!! Who bought that Diamond Edge 3D sealed in box for $81 USD on eBay on the 13th?????? 🤣

I saw that in the sold listings and saw the price and seriously sat here saying "WHAAAAT!?!?!" for a solid 30 seconds. I picked a fine time to not be looking at my saved searches. 😵

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27430 of 52700, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Interesting, I have two Edison Gold-16s but they don't quite look like yours. Apparently yours is a Rev1.0 and mine are Rev3.2B […]
Show full quote
jheronimus wrote:
Show full quote

hf71a3ym.jpg

Interesting, I have two Edison Gold-16s but they don't quite look like yours. Apparently yours is a Rev1.0 and mine are Rev3.2Bs:

Edison-Gold-16-A.jpg Edison-Gold-16-B.jpg

I uploaded the driver disks' images for these cards onto vogons drivers fyi; it includes the TSR you need for the MPU-401 port to work.

Yes, the difference is pretty significant. I also have rev 5.0, here you can see them side by side:

8t6Oh78m.jpg

The rev 5.0 is based on 1868 chip, completely jumperless, doesn't have a Yamaha chip or non-IDE connectors for CD and overall it is a much more integrated design. My rev 1.0 is dated 1995, rev 5.0 is dated 1997.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 27431 of 52700, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a bundle of hardware for 10 silvers.

One piece was a VLB motherboard with an SiS chipset, suffering from a bad battery, which was very quickly taken care of with a quick de-soldering and a vinegar bath.

P_20190223_142244.jpg
Filename
P_20190223_142244.jpg
File size
875.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sadly, the missing cache sockets were not a cost-cutting measure from the manufacturer. Someone took a solder gun and removed those, along with a bunch of transistors, capacitors and various other components. Only realized this after I was done with the battery.

Not all bad news, as other pieces included 2 more VLB motherboards with OPTI chipset, 2 Amd DX2-66 CPUs (8k and 16k cache versions), 2 trident tvga9000 ISA video cards, a PCI video card from ALI, a 3com PCI network card and a 1.5GHz S423 Pentium4!

P_20190223_145407.jpg
Filename
P_20190223_145407.jpg
File size
890.6 KiB
Views
File license

One interesting bit about the motherboards is that the manufacture date is mid 1997. Not too surprising if you consider how things here were is East Europe.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 27432 of 52700, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gravis game controllers for my old MacTV and Performa.

Attachments

• 0012546433.jpg
    Filename
    0012546433.jpg
    File size
    42.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 00134323.jpg
    Filename
    00134323.jpg
    File size
    44.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 001344534323.jpg
    Filename
    001344534323.jpg
    File size
    30.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 00123.jpg
    Filename
    00123.jpg
    File size
    39.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 27433 of 52700, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 CT1600 rev 06 ISA DSP3.02, YMF262 OPL3 Jun 1992
Western Digital Caviar 31200 1200M Mar 1995

the sbpro had a very ugly rusty part (watch the first image) - cleaned up, and the joystick connector polished. not perfect, but it is in a nice shape now.

20190220_220418.jpg
Filename
20190220_220418.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
20190223_111347.jpg
Filename
20190223_111347.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
20190223_111419.jpg
Filename
20190223_111419.jpg
File size
884.73 KiB
Views
File license

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 27434 of 52700, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got this beauty a couple of days ago. Haven't tested it yet but it was sold as tested and working so I should be good.

Attachments

• 20190223_223945.jpg
    Filename
    20190223_223945.jpg
    File size
    911.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 27435 of 52700, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this fantastic AT case on a local aucion site.
Payed to much for it, but its only the second decent AT case I've seen here for years.
And this is the best by miles !

Never before have I owned a cleaner AT setup:

ML5P6MHl.jpg

Both the motherboard tray and the top portion (disks, PSU, CD, floppy and all) slides out backwards.
Fantastic !

Finally I have a worthy home for my T2P4 setup =)

Oh, and it came with a system installed.
Nothing worth mentioning here apart from a decent Yamaha ISA soundcard.

Editing OP with front pic:

h4tX9KKl.jpg

I'll make a proper gallery in the appropriate forum section.

Last edited by bofh.fromhell on 2019-02-24, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27437 of 52700, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

*finds wonderful AT case*

Doesn't show a pic of the front... 😜

I'll make a proper "check out my precious" later, i promise ! =)
Without the help of some sunlight any pics i take look like crap 🤣 (CET here so middle of the night ATM).

Reply 27438 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bofh.fromhell wrote:
luckybob wrote:

*finds wonderful AT case*

Doesn't show a pic of the front... 😜

I'll make a proper "check out my precious" later, i promise ! =)
Without the help of some sunlight any pics i take look like crap 🤣 (CET here so middle of the night ATM).

I have a feeling I know what case this is, but look forward to the pics to see if I'm right.

Reply 27439 of 52700, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was strolling through the local flea market today when I spotted a cardboard box full of all motherboards and some other components among a bunch of tools, pots and other non-computer items, just laid out on a blanket on the ground. On top of the pile, recognisable from far away, was the unmistakable shape of a K6 family CPU sitting in a Baby AT shaped board. I've been wanting a super socket 7 board and CPU for a long time now, so I zero in on it immediately. When I get my hands on it, to my surprise it's not any mere K6 CPU, it's a K6-3! 400 MHz, but I don't even care about the frequency at this point, I'm just super stoked that it's an actual K6-3. These are extremely hard to find here in Europe and especially in a small country like mine. I've been hunting for one on European ebays and locally for months and they don't even show up.

I'm already excited about the find, so next I check the motherboard. Ali Aladdin V chipset is easily recognisable, cool. Looking over the board for any signs of damage, nothing stands out other than a couple slightly bent pins; no corrosion, nothing broken, no missing elements. Looking really good. Last thing I check for are brand and model markings... turns out it's an Asus P5A-B. At this point I can't even believe my luck, I figure no way is this thing gonna boot up once I get it home, I can't be THAT lucky.

Around then this small kid, 10-ish years or so, asks me if I'm interested, I say I'm just looking through for anything interesting worth my time. He says if I want anything, it's 2€ per board. 🤣. I can't give him just 2€ for a super socket 7 board with a K6-3, that's bloody daylight robbery 😀. So I take a quick look at the rest of the boards, it's an array of wildly different platforms, all total 10 boards from slot 1 to socket 775. All with CPUs, some with a stick or two of memory and/or a cooler. Also a few old video cards (couple Ati Rage, one Radeon 9000 and one Geforce FX 5200), an ISA sound card and a couple of what look like industrial or embedded motherboards that I can't even remotely recognise. Most stuff looks in decent condition, some components needing a thorough washing and cleaning though. I don't really have any immediate use for most of the motherboards, but I figure at 2€ a pop, why not.

So I tell the kid I'll give him 20€ for the whole lot. The look on his face when he heard me, he was so excited. He looked to feel as happy about the deal as I did 😀. I could have likely gotten away with offering him half that, but I'd honestly feel like crap for basically robbing him.

Anyway, I get the haul home, excited to try the Asus board out. And the result of the first attempt to boot it, including the CPU it came with, after I double-checked that all the jumpers were configured properly:

DoMnEYC.jpg

jiCXd6E.jpg

Fanspin, beep and video signal. Everything seems to be working just fine. I finally have the foundations for my super socket 7 system 😎

The hardware monitor error is just about the missing -5V rail and no fans connected to some of the headers, once I've set those to ignored, the boot process continues normally.

Couldn't be happier 😀