VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29600 of 52700, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice haul indeed, although I too wonder about the price.

The Matrox card looks like an Athena. Don't see a Banshee, but there is a Voodoo Rush next to the Tseng VLB card. Also like the big PCI S3 9xx VRAM-based VGA card at the top right. Could that be a Yamaha 719-based ISA sound card above it? Also, I only count three soundblasters (CT1600 and two SB16s?) to the left of the Matrox Athena, the sound card on the bottom right is something else. Might be Oak Mozart, but can't quite make it out.

Reply 29601 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Puh, won this auction but I am afraid I paid too much money. Think some other collectors spotted this and the seller was rather surprised about the outcome...

so that was you then 😒

heh, yes I did indeed spot that but I didn't want to bid more... still think it's going to be worth it even if only half the stuff works

the auction started at 100, so not that surprised probably.

Reply 29602 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Nice haul indeed, although I too wonder about the price.

The Matrox card looks like an Athena. Don't see a Banshee, but there is a Voodoo Rush next to the Tseng VLB card. Also like the big PCI S3 9xx VRAM-based VGA card at the top right. Could that be a Yamaha 719-based ISA sound card above it? Also, I only count three soundblasters (CT1600 and two SB16s?) to the left of the Matrox Athena, the sound card on the bottom right is something else. Might be Oak Mozart, but can't quite make it out.

I believe that is an Ultima Plus. I posted about mine a while back. It's a VERY early, if not first gen, PCI graphics card.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Reply 29603 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote:
so that was you then :blah: […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:

Puh, won this auction but I am afraid I paid too much money. Think some other collectors spotted this and the seller was rather surprised about the outcome...

so that was you then 😒

heh, yes I did indeed spot that but I didn't want to bid more... still think it's going to be worth it even if only half the stuff works

the auction started at 100, so not that surprised probably.

Argh 🙁 If I knew that...dont tell the final price 😉

Should have taken a closer look at the seller however. Has some bad Feedbacks. Hope didnt get ripped of there and nothing of all that is working. At least the other bidder was not the seller himself 😀 Something special you have been looking at? Lets PM 😉

Reply 29604 of 52700, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

[...]

I believe that is an Ultima Plus. I posted about mine a while back. It's a VERY early, if not first gen, PCI graphics card.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Ah yes, that does look very similar. The Ultima Plus uses an Atlas chip (no hw gouraud shading), the Athena chip I suggested (with hw gouraud shading) was used on the Impression Plus cards - but both are pin-compatible, so this could be either. Either way a fantastic really early PCI card indeed 😀

I had one years back, not the version with socketed VRAM expansion you have but with (later?) typical Matrox pins for RAM expansion board - but it artefacted all over the place, seemed as if both some RAM and the RAMDAC were failing... 🙁

Reply 29605 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either way, the Ultima Plus has truly terrible performance in DOS and I never did test flipping that VGA switch on the card and installing a secondary video card for DOS. Maybe I will get around to it when I get back into my storage unit up north.

Reply 29606 of 52700, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wirerogue wrote:
MMaximus wrote:

Bought this NOS case for a reasonable price on ebay. It seems to be a clone of the Chieftec Dragon - I used to have a grey model in the early 2000's and remember it being really heavy. This one might be a bit lighter, but overall I'm really pleased with the quality. The materials, fit and finish are all decent. TBH I wasn't expecting such a nice case for the price... I'm looking forward to using it for a build soon.

i wouldn't call it a clone really. chenming was the case oem for antec/chieftec and others.

chenming also released their own product line and i think the case you have is the chenming 601AE-U.

Thanks for the info. I have no idea if this particular case was made by Chenming. It was advertised as an "ACME ACM503X", and this is is the brand and model name that appears on the packaging.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 29607 of 52700, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

The Cyberpuck you can live without, but the VIP card is a bit of a pita... however, if you are ok with DIY electronics there is something called a LinkBox (and also describes the pinout) which basically frees the VFX1 from VESA and its other software limitations. You will need the cable, but not the VIP card, and may end up with a VFX1 that you could use on today's modern machinery.... LCD res still crap though 😀.

I have both the headgear and a VIP card (as you can see in the photo) and visually it's in perfect condition. I only miss the cable for connecting it to the headgear.

Thanks for the tip about linkbox! I'm mostly interested in using it on old PCs, for modern stuff I have Oculus CV1 and I'm happy with it 😀

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29608 of 52700, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got this Live!, for some future experiments 😀

SB0100.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 29609 of 52700, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:
wirerogue wrote:
MMaximus wrote:

Bought this NOS case for a reasonable price on ebay. It seems to be a clone of the Chieftec Dragon - I used to have a grey model in the early 2000's and remember it being really heavy. This one might be a bit lighter, but overall I'm really pleased with the quality. The materials, fit and finish are all decent. TBH I wasn't expecting such a nice case for the price... I'm looking forward to using it for a build soon.

i wouldn't call it a clone really. chenming was the case oem for antec/chieftec and others.

chenming also released their own product line and i think the case you have is the chenming 601AE-U.

Thanks for the info. I have no idea if this particular case was made by Chenming. It was advertised as an "ACME ACM503X", and this is is the brand and model name that appears on the packaging.

Chieftec wasnt their brand?

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 29610 of 52700, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote:

Chieftec wasnt their brand?

No idea. Here is their website - maybe ACME technology is just the name of this particular UK business that sells computer cases, they likely buy from OEM makers like Cheming and such and rebrand them as "ACME"? From the look of the website they might no longer be trading, but instead be disposing of their old stock on ebay...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 29611 of 52700, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Will see if something works. We have:
4 x 286 Mainboard, 2xSuntac

Those too 286s!!! <3

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29612 of 52700, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up this lot from a friendly collector. I've been looking for SIPP memory for a board that I think I just threw away last week. 🤣

pile.jpg
Filename
pile.jpg
File size
656.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
466dx2.jpg
Filename
466dx2.jpg
File size
483.68 KiB
Views
File license
mb.jpg
Filename
mb.jpg
File size
567.09 KiB
Views
File license
vlb_jazz.jpg
Filename
vlb_jazz.jpg
File size
540.17 KiB
Views
File license
sipp.jpeg
Filename
sipp.jpeg
File size
283 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 29613 of 52700, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Picked up this lot from a friendly collector. I've been looking for SIPP memory for a board that I think I just threw away last week. 🤣

Just a matter of soldering in some pins on SIMM30 modules... Back in the day they sold dedicated pins for this purpose (I still have some) now it's easier to solder some regular goldpin header...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29614 of 52700, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

Just a matter of soldering in some pins on SIMM30 modules...

Yes, but if I need to use the regular simms in another machine I have to desolder them again.

Reply 29615 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is even better than what I posted yesterday (will report when it arrives..). I also won an auction of 10 kg scrap. There were mainly some interesting Soundblasters in the pile, nothing special. The seller wrote that he has 50 kg in total and if I am interested in buying more. I answered it depends and asked for a photo.
I selected 3 cards from the photo...do you see the most important? 😉

Last edited by Predator99 on 2019-07-29, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29616 of 52700, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

This is even better than what I posted yesterday (will report when it arrives..). I also won an auction of 10 kg scrap. There were mainly some interesting Soundblasters in the pile, nothing special. The seller wrote that he has 50 kg in total and if I am interested in buying more. I answered it depends and asked for a photo.
I selected 3 cards from the photo...do you see the most important? 😉

eb07.jpg

Pretty hard to miss a Voodoo 5K

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 29618 of 52700, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Pentium 4 machine for a pretty low price:

nGhkShGm.jpg

Specs are:

Pentium 4@3GHz
Gigabyte GA-8IDX motherboard
Gigabyte GV-GF3000D (GeForce 3)
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 with a LiveDrive front panel
DVD-RW
512 MB RAM & 40GB HDD

Sooo, not great, not terrible, right? Actually, the coolest thing about this machine is the case. Meet the 1999 Palo Alto ATCX, aka the convertible case. Just take out the drive cage:

ZRlSoGMm.jpg

And you can turn this case into a desktop:

OoDMpjim.jpg

Even the little badge holder can be rotated (although right now the front panel of this case is a bit yellowed, so I didn't move the badge).

Palo Alto was a company that made cases for all the big OEMs including Dell, Gateway, Sun and others and was widely celebrated for their quality. The case probably doesn't look too interesting, but it has a lot of features (like screw less design for motherboard mounts) and it is certainly one of the most unique ATX cases I have. I remember reading about Palo Alto cases in 2002, but I've never seen one for sale — they were never big on the retail market and were soon sold to Flextronics.

This build also inspired me to try some WinXP gaming. Guess I'll upgrade it from GF3 to FX5900XT I have in my drawer.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog