Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34440 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:12:

And this is how I have gotten a good amount of old hardware that I do have.... in scrap lots that nobody else touches.

So far the stuff that I have gotten from scrap lots that works, which is almost all that I have tested, works fine and hasn't given me any problems.

Fantastic lot!

100% Agree 😉

Reply 34441 of 52700, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having connections is great too. I just met a guy today who has a ton of old computers and hardware because he has worked in schools as a tech guy and whenever they upgrade they give him the old stuff. I sold him some old big box PC games, and he said he will let me know what hardware he has that I might need. I recently bought a couple old PC's so I could use some sound cards and so on. I also still need a good case for my 486 motherboard with the socket 3 and socket 4 cpu

Reply 34442 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:11:

I would love to cherry pick through a lot like this 😀

Must feel like Christmas unpacking it 😀

Yep, big lots like these are always fun. Will probably end up selling a lot of it as there are very few cards I am actually looking for anymore.

I just have to snatch lots up like this when I see them.. not only for the fun of finding cards I am looking for but also for keeping them out of the hands of scrappers who will just destroy them.

I've only ever gotten a few lots that were mostly a bust. I am a bit more careful now so I am sure I have missed some good stuff but not worth it to spend money on lots where I can't actually see anything in the pictures that is good.

This lot, on the other hand, has at least 3 or 4 cards that I know are nice if they work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34443 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:12:

And this is how I have gotten a good amount of old hardware that I do have.... in scrap lots that nobody else touches.

So far the stuff that I have gotten from scrap lots that works, which is almost all that I have tested, works fine and hasn't given me any problems.

same here, only most scrap lots I bought a lot of other people wanted to touch too... so they tend to not even be that cheap most of the time, but it's still pretty much the only way for me to get all those cards and boards out there 😀
the majority of my collection came from scrap lots probably.

I've sometimes fallen in traps receiving a box of stuff in total disrepair, often even more damage happens due to awful packaging, even though I always kindly ask them to at least wrap stuff in newspaper and not let it lay loose in the boxes, some simply don't want to because they view it as scrap anyways (even if they get good money for it), but I've also gotten the eventual gem out of it, it's always a gamble.
so far as long as something looked physically undamaged it tends to work fine or only need minor work, and even some cards I fished out that were scratched to hell and every pin bent turned out to be working in the end.

derSammler wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:06:
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-06-10, 18:01:

To many people, this is junk 😀

I wouldn't waste a single buck on such a lot, even if I spotted a rare card. Whatever you find in there has probably taken so much ESD damage that it won't work for more than a few hours or - with some luck - a few weeks. So I tend to agree, it's more or less junk.

well good, leaves more for the rest of us 😀

also every single piece of old hardware that gets saved from the scrap heap just fills me with joy.

Reply 34444 of 52700, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me too.
Saving old he from the scrapheap mostly is worth it.
That's why I've got about twelve Pentium 4/c2d s775 machines stored: at work they were throwing away old hardware about a year ago, asked my boss if I could have it and he was fine with it. All working and complete, he didn't even care for software because all licenses are long due (and I'm gonna wipe them anyway).

For me way too new but eventually they will be worth something... Within 30 years from now. Everybody's throwing them away nowadays because no one wants them second (or probably seventh) hand.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-11, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 34445 of 52700, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't waste a single buck on such a lot, even if I spotted a rare card. Whatever you find in there has probably taken so much ESD damage that it won't work for more than a few hours or - with some luck - a few weeks. So I tend to agree, it's more or less junk.

Good. More for me.

Don't take offense, you make a valid point. personally I did not see anything there that strikes *MY* fancy, but I did see quite a few items that can be washed, tested and resold. To me, that's what I live for in this hobby of ours. Any swinging dick with a handful of cash can make a working system quickly. The fun *IN MY OPINION* is turning trash into treasure.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 34446 of 52700, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My "pride and joy" Main retro pc was made almost exclusively from scrap lots... And from a lot pictured on a carpet 😀

And from buying these lots I am able to take and test/fix what I need and move on the rest.

From luck/patience using lots and perhaps taking some risks to some...I have this machine and it has not cost me a penny.

Jetway 994AN-L . Slot 1 / socket370 motherboard
866mhz p3
512mb ram
Vooodoo 3 3000
Awe 32 ct 3910
NoS biege desktop case.

Now I dont do this for profit - far from it. But it is very nice to get back what you paid for a lot and retain the item/s that you wanted from the lot!

Plus I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys tinkering and fixing up "unknown and untested" bits.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 34447 of 52700, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:33:
My "pride and joy" Main retro pc was made almost exclusively from scrap lots... And from a lot pictured on a carpet :) […]
Show full quote

My "pride and joy" Main retro pc was made almost exclusively from scrap lots... And from a lot pictured on a carpet 😀

And from buying these lots I am able to take and test/fix what I need and move on the rest.

From luck/patience using lots and perhaps taking some risks to some...I have this machine and it has not cost me a penny.

Jetway 994AN-L . Slot 1 / socket370 motherboard
866mhz p3
512mb ram
Vooodoo 3 3000
Awe 32 ct 3910
NoS biege desktop case.

Now I dont do this for profit - far from it. But it is very nice to get back what you paid for a lot and retain the item/s that you wanted from the lot!

Plus I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys tinkering and fixing up "unknown and untested" bits.

I like to as well, and like you I dont try to make too much back from it. Getting my money back or a bit more is good so I can make more purchases.
I do that with PC games as well. I try to buy lots. Sell what I have or dont want and keep what I want, hopefully making my money back.

Reply 34448 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:33:

exactly this :3

Reply 34449 of 52700, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this PC10 few days ago, because I wanted the EGA Wonder and possibly the big board (I didn't knew what it was - auction photos were poor).

I was kind of surprised when I discovered it was Intel Inboard 386/PC.

All beside problematic floppies and HDD fully working!

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34451 of 52700, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also other random (more interesting) stuff I acquired over a course of the pandemic 😉

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34452 of 52700, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and more...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34453 of 52700, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also this...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34455 of 52700, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow HanJammer, you have a fantastic knack for finding some really good old stuff ! Thanks for sharing the pics and also for helping me out too !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34456 of 52700, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Passport MIDI Interface card with the cable which has 3 MIDI outputs and a Dell Inspiron E1505 Core2Duo laptop today.

Screenshot_20200610-110942.png
Filename
Screenshot_20200610-110942.png
File size
907.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20200610_140612227~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200610_140612227~2.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Mind the mess in the background in the laptop photo op. It's car parts, essential fluids, and other items for my car, which needs brake lines as 1 rotted out and the other isn't far behind.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 34457 of 52700, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-06-11, 02:28:

Bought a Passport MIDI Interface card with the cable which has 3 MIDI outputs and a Dell Inspiron E1505 Core2Duo laptop today.

Is that intelligent mode compatible?

Reply 34458 of 52700, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been wanting one of these for a while. They seem remarkably rare.

Attachments

Reply 34459 of 52700, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-11, 02:46:
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-06-11, 02:28:

Is that intelligent mode compatible?

Only one way to find out.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser