VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 35980 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah the IBM ones are not PCMCIA compatible, the other "DRAM" cards might be third party RAM cards for IBM, see if they have the same staggered pin layout.

some of the others are probably just flash cards, what PCMCIA was originally created for ^^ just think of them as "oversized CF cards"

Reply 35981 of 52357, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alienmannequin wrote on 2020-09-15, 08:06:
Have been meaning to post these for many years. Anyone have an idea of what they are? […]
Show full quote

Have been meaning to post these for many years. Anyone have an idea of what they are?

20200915-174814-1.jpg

There were a couple of 4 mb PCMCIA flash cards in the lot, which I took out and used for my 200lx and WinCE PDA, but these don't appear to fit any slots that I have.

The BIG rectangular ones are DRAM expansion cards for OLD IBM thinkpads.
They increase the memory on the thinkpads.

They fit inside the bottom of the thinkpad. You flip open the keyboard to access the internals.

Attachments

• IBM DRAM.jpg
    Filename
    IBM DRAM.jpg
    File size
    135.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 35982 of 52357, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-09-15, 07:30:

On that little board however, only the top PCI slot would be inaccessible in an mATX case, and generally you won't use more than 1 or 2 PCI slots on a 486. But I believe some customizations will be required for the standoffs and the keyboard connector as those probably won't line up.

Fair enough, I can see that working if you're willing to drill some holes for new stand-off locations. You can also buy a blank i/o shield on ebay and cut a new hole for the AT keyboard connector in that.

Reply 35983 of 52357, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some stuff that arrived today...

Attachments

Last edited by HanJammer on 2020-09-15, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 35984 of 52357, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And this nice ASUS motherboard with SCSI interface

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 35985 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote on 2020-09-15, 05:38:
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-14, 23:31:

I know, it's perfection. 🤣 I love small motherboards for some reason. I should be able to put this in a small mATX case. I've been wanting to do a reverse sleeper 486 DX4 build in a nice Lian Li or Silverstone case.

Unfortunately I think you'll find that AT boards don't fit in mATX cases very well.

It will definitely fit. I only need use of 1 PCI slot.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 35986 of 52357, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Have been meaning to post these for many years. Anyone have an idea of what they are? […]
Show full quote

Have been meaning to post these for many years. Anyone have an idea of what they are?

20200915-174814-1.jpg

There were a couple of 4 mb PCMCIA flash cards in the lot, which I took out and used for my 200lx and WinCE PDA, but these don't appear to fit any slots that I have.

Compaq used that in LTE 386s/20, LTE LITE series and LTE ELITE series.
Toshiba older models used this type as well.

Best to sell these on ebay so people can expand their classic notebooks.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 35988 of 52357, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-09-15, 11:31:
The BIG rectangular ones are DRAM expansion cards for OLD IBM thinkpads. They increase the memory on the thinkpads. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

20200915-174814-1.jpg

The BIG rectangular ones are DRAM expansion cards for OLD IBM thinkpads.
They increase the memory on the thinkpads.

They fit inside the bottom of the thinkpad. You flip open the keyboard to access the internals.

@Intel486dx33 is that pic yours? that seems like a thinkpad 360C / Ce, correct? if so: do you happen to have the original restore diskettes for it?

Reply 35989 of 52357, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today the PSU for my pentium III system arrived. I originally ordered an Aopen 300W psu, but it got lost in the post. The seller sent a replacement FSP unit, the FSP300-60PNA.

Is this any good? It feels fairly solid but I've only ever heard FSP are crap in a can.

Reply 35990 of 52357, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-09-15, 14:01:

Some stuff that arrived today...

The ELSA card, is that a flippable ISA/EISA?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 35991 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vaudane wrote on 2020-09-15, 14:53:

Today the PSU for my pentium III system arrived. I originally ordered an Aopen 300W psu, but it got lost in the post. The seller sent a replacement FSP unit, the FSP300-60PNA.

Is this any good? It feels fairly solid but I've only ever heard FSP are crap in a can.

AOpen used to order their ATX PSUs from FSP. FSP's own PSU's are usually even better (They have Active PFC).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 35992 of 52357, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-15, 15:05:
Vaudane wrote on 2020-09-15, 14:53:

AOpen used to order their ATX PSUs from FSP. FSP's own PSU's are usually even better (They have Active PFC).

That explains why it looks so similar then.

Just cracked it open and... oh dear.

Every single capacitor is bulging and leaking (even the chonky primary side caps), the casing of a power resistor has cracked and flaked off after electrolyte has been dripping on it.

At least your message gives me faith that recapping it is a more worthwhile fate than the bin...

Reply 35993 of 52357, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-15, 14:09:

Yep, you will definitely have to move some standoffs though, drilling a few holes shouldn't be a big deal if you take the time to mark the new locations. Also the AT keyboard connector won't be in the standard spot so you'll need to cut a hole in a blank i/o cover or just leave that open at the back of the case.

Reply 35994 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote on 2020-09-15, 15:15:

Yep, you will definitely have to move some standoffs though, drilling a few holes shouldn't be a big deal if you take the time to mark the new locations. Also the AT keyboard connector won't be in the standard spot so you'll need to cut a hole in a blank i/o cover or just leave that open at the back of the case.

Yea it should be pretty simple, I've done standoffs before in places that needed them. For the I/O shield, I will just 3D print one, once I find out where the DIN connector lands.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 35995 of 52357, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-15, 15:27:

Yea it should be pretty simple, I've done standoffs before in places that needed them. For the I/O shield, I will just 3D print one, once I find out where the DIN connector lands.

Post pics when you do, I'd love to see this machine up and running.

Reply 35996 of 52357, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As Dr Farnsworth would say :

file.php?mode=view&id=92233

I just received a beautiful waverider 32 sound card by Aztech. Sadly only the card @ a price I'm ashamed to tell.

Waverider32.jpg
Filename
Waverider32.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license

Love this card, it was my first wavetable capable, and it was a blast, in particular playing Descent.

Attachments

• Good_news.gif
    Filename
    Good_news.gif
    File size
    404.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 35998 of 52357, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-15, 15:27:
pete8475 wrote on 2020-09-15, 15:15:

I've beaten you to it somewhat, though in my case it's 386 and VLB 486 that got stuffed into micro ATX cases. I've put two together now, one which was easy because the standoffs were removable, that's the one in these pictures. It was made somewhat easier by someone uploading some obviously not for public use CAD files of a Yeong Yang micro ATX case 😁
The other is my 386, which has pressed metal 'standoffs' so the adapter is a 3mm shim that pushes the board upwards, with a similar shim for the card bracket screw holes. It hasn't even shorted out yet 😁
The backplate has a card backplate fitting to fit serial port etc but it's pretty cramped. I had to design a special bracket to fit my dual CF to IDE adapter on an angle for the 386.

I actually kind of forgot I made these, I was supposed to share this stuff on Thingiverse but never got around to it

Attachments

Reply 35999 of 52357, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Adding another NEC Versa to the collection......this time a P/75 (Pentium 75) for Win9x stuff.....also have eyes on a 50EC as well ATM that would be a good parts unit. I'm seriously toying with collecting that entire series of units (Ultralite 20/25/33, 40/50 E/C/P/, V 40/50, M 75/100, P/75).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/