VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 37720 of 52352, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this clever thing hiding in a pile of "misc old computerparts".

pe8t3Oal.jpeg

Had to buy the whole 5kg lot of old stinking (literally) ATX PSU's, Pentium 4 era OEM motherboards and the usual FX5200's plus random useless cables.

The card itself had probably lived inside some smokers lungs for a decade or so.
The smell was so bad it made my eyes tear when I opened the package.
Well nothing a few hours soaking in soapy water won't fix.
Now proving its worth in my trusty old P3B-F for a while.

Reply 37721 of 52352, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the "T" for Tualatin? Very nice find if it is

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 37723 of 52352, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New laser with complete drive assembly, for my Playstation2-Slim.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 37724 of 52352, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote on 2021-01-18, 19:18:

I was the only one I knew with one to see in person, so granted there may have been quality issues, and certainly the non-flat versions didn't seem as good. When I got it, it was actually the cheaper of the 17" options in the shop I was at, and thought at first it was another example of me having to settle for second best unlike my mates and their trinitons. Moment I turned it on though, everybody in my circle of nerdy friends were jelious. I'm not sure if they made larger ones. Also 17" at that time felt quite sizeable in a world of 14/15 inch screens which seemed to be the standard at the home. Nice refresh rate at the largest resolution it could handle. 75Hz at 1280 x 1024 iirc?

I certainly rate the diamondscans too, better than trinitons imo. For 17", both were trumped by that Viewsonic though. I don't think the Viewsoninc was OEM either, certainly never came across that screen branded by anyone else. The specs are qute unique to it.... daum, I want one again now... no space 🙁.

Between the Mitsubishi (BNC too!) and the Samsung, my desk was bowing in the middle from the weight. IIRC I sold the Mitsu to a friend for $50 - it had significant bezel damage, but we used tape, epoxy, and paint to fix it - it looked good 5 ft away, which was perfect as my friend was using it as a movie display in his room - like a netflix and chill but with torrents and.... well, the other thing you'd do in your early 20s. I kept the Samsung for a while before I got the then new 16:9 standard in an LCD. I kinda miss that thing, it was pretty cutting edge when I got it in 2001 or so.

Now I have a SUN 19 inch 😁

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 37725 of 52352, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gex85 wrote on 2021-01-18, 19:44:

This card. Crappy seller's pic is crappy, but this should be the MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4600. It was advertised as "Old Nvidia graphics card" for local pickup only, but I offered a few Euros more and the seller agreed to ship it. Let's hope it still works...
Screenshot_20210118-203820.png

I love these sellers. That's how I got my Radeon DDR for well below its value listed as "ATI Rage Theater".

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 37726 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Parts for the iMac G3 Bondi.

* PRAM battery: check
* Optical drive with correct faceplate: Check
* 3D Printed IR Shield Cover (Non-functional): Check
* Replacement Smart Checked IDE Hard Drive: Check

Still missing:

Covers for IO ports
Original Media Discs
Correct KBM Combo.

I've got enough to get it suitable for use at least. I also sourced a button bar cover for my 2nd M1710, so both M1710s are more or less mint now.

Unsurpringsly I've also completely lost accountability on my parts spreadsheet. The collection multiplied quicker than my ability to test and catalog. Again. FML. I don't even know half of what I have anymore, I've literally had "Since when do I own THAT" moments, much less do I remember the last time half this crap was in a machine. Currently going through testing all my laptops to try and figure out the source of the damage to the Toshiba P3 GF2 go laptop. So far no more screen damage, so that's good. I'm thinking a chemical was spilled on it without my noticing, or its something age related that just finally gave.

I'm also begining to worry about my hardware outside in a detached garage with a door that opens 2-3x a day. I'm worried moisture from condensation from temperature changes will eventually damage stuff, all my nice GPUs are probably getting pulled soon and put into indoor storage accordingly. I need to go out and catalog what already has rust damage (something had minor corrosions when I got them or when I moved) so I can track if this is an escalating problem. I have a couple of parts that are already dead or have issues or are plain worthless in spots that should in theory be the worst of the worst to see what the effects are.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 37727 of 52352, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-01-18, 21:15:

i've never seen a slocket adapter that actually looks like a pentium cartridge. that is super cool. hope it works well!

Reply 37728 of 52352, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ That would be nothing special for AM2 socket, but this is actually Socket 939 processor and it is rather expensive. I paid $7.5.
My plan is to put it into my Windows 2000 overkill machine which already has Athlon64 3200+ and 3700+ is also on the way. I'll decide which one is faster for the job.

Attachments

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 37729 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-01-18, 21:15:
Found this clever thing hiding in a pile of "misc old computerparts". […]
Show full quote

Found this clever thing hiding in a pile of "misc old computerparts".

pe8t3Oal.jpeg

Had to buy the whole 5kg lot of old stinking (literally) ATX PSU's, Pentium 4 era OEM motherboards and the usual FX5200's plus random useless cables.

The card itself had probably lived inside some smokers lungs for a decade or so.
The smell was so bad it made my eyes tear when I opened the package.
Well nothing a few hours soaking in soapy water won't fix.

I have a very similar Slocket on my P2B-F running a Celeron 533 (It's a DOS/Win2K build that doesn't require any faster CPUs.. This one can be slowed down perfectly to a 386SX actually)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37731 of 52352, by mtgmackid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got some more stuff from the same recycler for a very sweet deal!

1U0o4ws.jpg
awe64 gold unfortunately looks like it was exposed to the elements but for $5 I figured no big loss if it wound up not working.
PMo08gE.jpg
A4000 unfortunately is really beat up case-wise from poor handling at the recycler, but the battery (clipped off already) actually has very minimal leakage! Unfortunately someone broke some of the ram socket clips but I'll try a repair soon. The VT card kind of took a beating sadly.
Also found the Model M that went with the XT system that I picked up a few weeks ago, as well as a white box with a ASUS CUSL-C board.
FqU4o4x.jpg
hdTy8dt.jpg

Reply 37732 of 52352, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a few older LCDTVs with input connections for Africa. Great for testing old/ancient systems and consoles.. $nz30 all up. Much lighter than crts and for that price I don't feel guilty throwing them out if they go unserviceable. But i'd pull out the lcd panels if I know they are good and anything else I think will be useful.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 37733 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tronix wrote on 2021-01-20, 09:12:

Strange PCI video....

I have a cyberpro card around here somewhere. Can't remember if I ever got around to posting my findings about it. Mine has a jack for 3d glasses on it. Very uncommon chip, for sure.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 37734 of 52352, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this white elephant:

6qq4Rg8l.jpg

Paid more then i wanted.
But still something like 1/4 of ebay prices, if you can find a boxed one.
Thankfully I have non boxed ones so I can keep this one in the plastic.

Reply 37735 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought another GUS clone: a Reveal SC800/WAVExtreme 32

Screenshot_20210121-023651-305.png
Filename
File size
292.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Going to work on the STB version this Saturday as well (not giving up on this card).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 37736 of 52352, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, that is some real expensive hardware you just bought 😀

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 37737 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, $75 is better than $300.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 37738 of 52352, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These just arrived:

sb.jpg

I won the auction on sunday, 8$ for the Audigy and 12 for the XFi and 4$ domestic shipping.
Aside of the Audigy having 2 caps that seems to be damaged they both look good. And those are mechanical damages.
Maybe it was thrown in a box of parts and the underside of another PCB scratched it. It was sold as tested and working, but either way it's not something a soldering iron can't fix.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 37739 of 52352, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-01-21, 08:08:

Bought another GUS clone: a Reveal SC800/WAVExtreme 32

Going to work on the STB version this Saturday as well (not giving up on this card).

I saw that! I almost sent an offer but I found one last year and I have bought too many things recently. If it had RAM or an upgrade socket, I'd value it higher, but without it I guess it's just a decent sounding wavetable card, without the benefits of being a GUS clone. Nothing wrong with that for the price though, really. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.