VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 40220 of 52766, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-08-25, 10:56:

A Compaq professional workstation ap 550. Just looked quickly and it has a p3 of some kind, SCSI cd burner (what the duce) and a quadro 2. It seems to be upgraded ram wise, not sure about the processor situation..

IMG_20210825_123528.jpg

Nice System: Dual Slot1 PIII, Rambus (i840) and 133MHz FSB, onboard SCSI, AGP-Pro

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 40221 of 52766, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This antique.

POSTs. Disk spins up and seeks, floppy seeks. Case is perfect, no rust, just dirty and few minor scratches.

It will sit on shelf at least until October or November when I will have time for cleaning it and upgrades (I have some original IBM parts) because I want to feature it on my channel and I already have a Tandy 1000 episode planned for September...

Attachments

Last edited by HanJammer on 2021-08-25, 14:24. Edited 1 time in total.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40222 of 52766, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC-Engineer wrote on 2021-08-25, 13:59:
Joakim wrote on 2021-08-25, 10:56:

A Compaq professional workstation ap 550. Just looked quickly and it has a p3 of some kind, SCSI cd burner (what the duce) and a quadro 2. It seems to be upgraded ram wise, not sure about the processor situation..

IMG_20210825_123528.jpg

Nice System: Dual Slot1 PIII, Rambus (i840) and 133MHz FSB, onboard SCSI, AGP-Pro

I beleive it is a highly speced version. One 1 GHz processor 1gb ram. I'm gonna install XP on an sd card and try it out. PSU seems a little flaky, it makes a high pitched whistling sound. It's not ATX..

Reply 40223 of 52766, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently bought a 486 VLB ISA mobo ...for cheap.
As expected severe battery damage ...and a few traces to replace and bodge.
Not even going to apply power until the traces are done.
I suspect this may have other issues ...but at least half the cost was offset by the Cyrix DX2 66 claimed working which it came with.
Mobo is a Gigabyte Ga-486vf Rev7
will it live again ?
only time will tell.
rgds

Reply 40224 of 52766, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2021-08-25, 14:17:

This antique.

POSTs. Disk spins up and seeks, floppy seeks. Case is perfect, no rust, just dirty and few minor scratches.

It will sit on shelf at least until October or November when I will have time for cleaning it and upgrades (I have some original IBM parts) because I want to feature it on my channel and I already have a Tandy 1000 episode planned for September...

Cool old beast, those Video 7 cards are quite nice IIRC, do a lot of modes. Have you been checking out the CGA and Hercules game thread?
If it's a made in UK model, I'd guess IBM plant in Greenock, Scotland.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40225 of 52766, by janih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Won a bid for a new in a box Geforce 7950 GT AGP, paid 11 euros + shipping for it 😀 This was at a local auction site and the seller didn't really bother take good pictures or describe the item that much. So no one else bid on it. I saw from the fuzzy pictures that it is an agp card and thought that it might be a nice fast card for a Win98/XP dual boot machine. I guess this was the fastest agp card that Nvidia had.

Attachments

Last edited by janih on 2021-08-25, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 40226 of 52766, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
janih wrote on 2021-08-25, 20:13:

Won a bid for a new in a box Geforce 7950 GT AGP, paid 11 euros + shipping for it 😀 This was at a local auction site and the seller didn't really bother take good pictures or describe the item that much. I saw from the fuzzy pictures that it is an agp card and thought that it might be a nice fast card for a Win98/XP dual boot machine. I guess this was the fastest agp card that Nvidia had.

Awesome find!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 40227 of 52766, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
janih wrote on 2021-08-25, 20:13:

Won a bid for a new in a box Geforce 7950 GT AGP, paid 11 euros + shipping for it 😀 This was at a local auction site and the seller didn't really bother take good pictures or describe the item that much. So no one else bid on it. I saw from the fuzzy pictures that it is an agp card and thought that it might be a nice fast card for a Win98/XP dual boot machine. I guess this was the fastest agp card that Nvidia had.

You even got one of the good ones! 👍
Make sure to get some airflow over the transistors on the upper left area. I believe their heat is the main reason for those cards to die.

Reply 40228 of 52766, by janih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Make sure to get some airflow over the transistors on the upper left area. I believe their heat is the main reason for those cards to die.

Thanks for the tip. When doing some googling about this card I saw several comments along the lines that "the 7950gt was a nice card until it died (too early)" 😀

Reply 40229 of 52766, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I picked a great day to visit the local thrift! They had a whole box full of loose components I got to rummage through. Got all this for $35:

20210825_152019.jpg

Imagine how stoked I was to see the 3dfx logo on the back of the card at the top right corner! Appears to be a Voodoo 3 2000 or 3000 by STB (any idea how to check?) I also snatched an Asus V7700 deluxe (GF2 GTS with video capture), Asus V3800M (TNT2 M64), MSI GF4 MX440, and a couple Radeon cards, one is a 9200, no idea what the other one (bottom right corner) is, maybe another 9200? Also got a PCI USB host adapter, a Promise TX2 ATA100 controller, and a pile of memory, mixed bag of PC100, PC133, and DDR 400 sticks. Now I get to test it all....

I also grabbed a complete Dell Pentium 4 tower for $5, not in the picture.

Reply 40230 of 52766, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the small black heatsink instead of large silver colored one, I'd say it was a Voodoo 3 2000... though I don't think they did a 3000 PCI model.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40231 of 52766, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-25, 15:29:

Cool old beast, those Video 7 cards are quite nice IIRC, do a lot of modes. Have you been checking out the CGA and Hercules game thread?

Not yet (to be honest I'm not a big fan of Hercules and CGA games... EGA on the other hand I love), but I think will upgrade it with early VGA anyway. I have an excellent candidate for this upgrade too (yeah, it's a bit more recent as it's 1990 but whatever 😉 )
And if not this one, then I will install full length EGA in it.

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40232 of 52766, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2021-08-25, 21:53:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-25, 15:29:

Not yet (to be honest I'm not a big fan of Hercules and CGA games... EGA on the other hand I love), but I think will upgrade it with early VGA anyway. I have an excellent candidate for this upgrade too (yeah, it's a bit more recent as it's 1990 but whatever 😉 )
And if not this one, then I will install full length EGA in it.

Now now, don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you appear to have one of these...
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Video … vertisement.pdf

Which supports freaking everything, and has native emulation modes for CGA/MDA/Herc etc.

Switch settings http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/video … nfiguration.txt

Reply 40233 of 52766, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-25, 22:44:
Now now, don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you appear to have one of these... http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/m […]
Show full quote

Now now, don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you appear to have one of these...
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Video … vertisement.pdf

Which supports freaking everything, and has native emulation modes for CGA/MDA/Herc etc.

Switch settings http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/video … nfiguration.txt

Yes, unfortunately the one installed in this 5170 is not equipped with VGA connector, and all of my machines (but XTs) are connected through KVM to LCD monitor - I lack space to keep computers each with a separate CRT monitor 🙁

Last edited by HanJammer on 2021-08-26, 10:19. Edited 1 time in total.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40235 of 52766, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A PCMCIA audio card . unknown

someone have info about it?

i have only this pic

Attachments

• audio.jpg
    Filename
    audio.jpg
    File size
    27.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 40236 of 52766, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, looks like it's gonna be an Audio card, because of saying audio on it.

Reply 40237 of 52766, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm kinda mad at myself today... wasn't paying attention while browsing a "local classifieds site" and Sony GDM-W900 went by me in a day for a very reasonable price 🙁 Not to mention 5 years ago I missed FW900 the same way 🙁 I guess it's not meant to be 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 40238 of 52766, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2021-08-25, 14:17:

This antique.

What channel do you have? maybe a link?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 40239 of 52766, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devius wrote on 2021-08-19, 20:41:
Finally got the controller port board for the Diamond Edge 3D thanks to a Vogons user that mentioned these were up for sale. Now […]
Show full quote

Finally got the controller port board for the Diamond Edge 3D thanks to a Vogons user that mentioned these were up for sale. Now all that's missing are the cables to connect the two but those should be much easier to source:

IMG_20210816_201126.jpg

And also, following the principle that you can never have too many Socket 3 and Socket 7 boards I got these two at a local flea market, but haven't tried them yet:

IMG_20210816_201111.jpg

can you make a bios dump of that chicony motherboard?

~ At least it can do black and white~