Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 42200 of 52354, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote on 2022-01-30, 18:00:

Bought a 386 PC. I believe the motherboard HOT 307 is beyond repair. However, I will try to fix it, when I have the time. Does anyone have a motherboard like this and could send me some close-up pictures of the traces where the damaged area is?

I have the exact same board, I'll try to remember to post pictures of it but please PM me if I forget

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 42201 of 52354, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-30, 19:25:

Oh wow, that's getting a bit beyond battery corrosion and into an X-files episode of some all consuming fungus released from ancient grave or something.

I think maybe that is fungus growing all over the traces near the CPU there, its all white and looks a little fluffy, but it could be electrolyte too.

Reply 42203 of 52354, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another ebay purchase, a Quadro FX3000 256MB, which I believe is equivalent to an FX5900. My 5900XT has developed a weird fault where it complains of lack of power with any power supply and motherboard so I wanted something at least as good to replace it and got this.

The fan is a bit annoying though, so now I'm on the hunt for an Arctic Cooler hsf for it.

Attachments

• quadro 1.jpg
    Filename
    quadro 1.jpg
    File size
    228.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • quadro 2.jpg
    Filename
    quadro 2.jpg
    File size
    199.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 42204 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a 386 PC. I believe the motherboard HOT 307 is beyond repair. However, I will try to fix it, when I have the time. Does anyone have a motherboard like this and could send me some close-up pictures of the traces where the damaged area is?

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/cou … -1-board.76336/

I still have that. Honestly at this point as long as you promise it will get used, I'll give to you for shipping cost (I think I'm allowed to offer that here). At this point I've never fucking doing a 386 build and I'd rather that go to someone who can use it.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 42205 of 52354, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote on 2022-01-30, 23:14:

Another ebay purchase, a Quadro FX3000 256MB, which I believe is equivalent to an FX5900. My 5900XT has developed a weird fault where it complains of lack of power with any power supply and motherboard so I wanted something at least as good to replace it and got this.

The fan is a bit annoying though, so now I'm on the hunt for an Arctic Cooler hsf for it.

The mounting holes are different than the geforce cards so watch for that! I ended up simply replacing the fan and rigging it to a 3 pin fan controller.

Reply 42206 of 52354, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-29, 22:54:

is it wrong that I dont get the whole Model M thing ?

They are rugged but I have an Acer keyboard from the same period that is built like a Tank, full metal construction without the annoying rivets and with keys that are as clicky as any model M and with a feel to it that puts the model M to shame, and there are even better keyboard than that out there.

call me confused about all the model M fuss.

^ this
Tandy Enhanced keyboard is as good and it's auto AT/XT switchable too. And no strange detachable cable which is usually missing.
I also have excellent Tandon keyboard which also supports protocal autodetection and is build like a tank.

But well, for IBM 5170 it's nice to have IBM keyboard as well. And they became popular because of the YouTubers praising them too... They are of course very decent but I think it's pretty much personal preference and nostalgia thing - they were very popular and back in the day people got used to it. But obviously there were better keyboard functionality and quality wise.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 42207 of 52354, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought a lot of 5 NIB Maxtor PATA hard drives on fleabay. Paid $85 shipped for the lot which is actually pretty good considering individual drives of this type have been selling for $20-$30 each (bought a few myself), so $17 per drive roughly. I should be in pretty good shape for PATA hard drives for awhile now. At least until I start adding a second hard drive to each PC to store more games....

Screenshot-20220130-203547-e-Bay.jpg

Reply 42208 of 52354, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a detailed Photo:

FD05A7BE-6990-469C-A0DF-50CD0F0ECA0A.jpeg
Filename
FD05A7BE-6990-469C-A0DF-50CD0F0ECA0A.jpeg
File size
765.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

D15 and R36 are used for charging the battery, you don't need it anymore.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 42210 of 52354, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote on 2022-01-30, 19:47:
MMaximus wrote on 2022-01-30, 19:39:

I have the exact same board, I'll try to remember to post pictures of it but please PM me if I forget

Will do. Thanks MMaximus.

Here is the only photo I have of the board at the moment, so you might find the photo uploaded by member PC Engineer more useful

Attachments

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 42211 of 52354, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bassix6 wrote on 2022-01-31, 09:42:
This weekend I bought a Geforce 3 TI 200 and a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 at a local goodwill for 5 euro's! Think it's a really good deal […]
Show full quote

This weekend I bought a Geforce 3 TI 200 and a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 at a local goodwill for 5 euro's! Think it's a really good deal 😀

Whats-App-Image-2022-01-31-at-10-39-30.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-01-31-at-10-39-30-1.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-01-31-at-10-39-31.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-01-31-at-10-39-31-1.jpg

It's very good. I live in a cheap area and the lowest I've seen them in the past 2 years were 15€ each.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 42212 of 52354, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sacri wrote on 2022-01-28, 16:09:

Today i got snailmail. A new Killer K1 \o/ Box was only opened. I think that someone looked the cooled model - it can be seen printed on the box what's inside =|

front.jpg

seal.jpg

Really nice !
I have one too (but a more recent, with a more conventional look)
It was insane when it came out. A NIC that runs Linux and replace the Windows network stack !
Just not as effective as it was advertised. But still a good idea.

In fact, new datacenter network cards are going that way.
This is called "smart nics", and used by cloud providers. (Like all the big ones Google, Amazon, Microsoft)
It is like virtualisation, but for network controllers.
The NIC can be managed by the cloud provider, but not by the server on which the card run.
For the server, it looks like it is a basic NIC. But the provider who manages the card can do a lot of thing.
- Offload network processing to the NIC instead of the CPU
- Expose multiple NICs to the OS. Virtually exposed on the PCIe bus.
- Expose network functions to the OS (Storage, etc...)
- Encapsulate the data, transparently, in a VLAN/XVLAN/VPN/Whatever
- Filter like a firewall, apply rate limiting, QoS policies
All functions usually provided by top of rack network switches, and more, but directly in the server itself.
It's insane !
(Yes, i'm kind of passionate about it cause it's my job)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 42213 of 52354, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2022-01-31, 10:01:
Really nice ! I have one too (but a more recent, with a more conventional look) It was insane when it came out. A NIC that runs […]
Show full quote
sacri wrote on 2022-01-28, 16:09:

Today i got snailmail. A new Killer K1 \o/ Box was only opened. I think that someone looked the cooled model - it can be seen printed on the box what's inside =|

front.jpg

seal.jpg

Really nice !
I have one too (but a more recent, with a more conventional look)
It was insane when it came out. A NIC that runs Linux and replace the Windows network stack !
Just not as effective as it was advertised. But still a good idea.

In fact, new datacenter network cards are going that way.
This is called "smart nics", and used by cloud providers. (Like all the big ones Google, Amazon, Microsoft)
It is like virtualisation, but for network controllers.
The NIC can be managed by the cloud provider, but not by the server on which the card run.
For the server, it looks like it is a basic NIC. But the provider who manages the card can do a lot of thing.
- Offload network processing to the NIC instead of the CPU
- Expose multiple NICs to the OS. Virtually exposed on the PCIe bus.
- Expose network functions to the OS (Storage, etc...)
- Encapsulate the data, transparently, in a VLAN/XVLAN/VPN/Whatever
- Filter like a firewall, apply rate limiting, QoS policies
All functions usually provided by top of rack network switches, and more, but directly in the server itself.
It's insane !
(Yes, i'm kind of passionate about it cause it's my job)

On top of that cards like nVidia Mellanox BlueField have ARM cores which can be leveraged for use in HPC applications (or crypto mining 🤣). Concept is not new at all - I have ISA IDE controllers which have built in 286 CPUs running x86 code for doing stuff like cache management - so it's like computer in a computer. There is also Xeon Phi which is basically PCIe card with hundreds Pentium 1 cores which also runs it own operating system internally - same idea, different application (high performance computing).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 42215 of 52354, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just discovered a localish private enterprise e-waste business, that has a store for resale... they have short store hours though, and it's outside my own town, so might not get there all that often. So brace yourselves... I might be posting a lot 🤣 ... well obviously not now I've jinxed myself. I am only mildly optimistic I will find anything pre-2000 there, they seem to be getting a lot of business computers that are only a few years old.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42216 of 52354, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brawndo wrote on 2022-01-31, 03:43:

Just bought a lot of 5 NIB Maxtor PATA hard drives on fleabay. Paid $85 shipped for the lot which is actually pretty good considering individual drives of this type have been selling for $20-$30 each (bought a few myself), so $17 per drive roughly. [/img]

Yah, pretty good deal, I've been eyeing a couple listed locally... if I had anything set up and begging for them it would be easy choice, but trying not to add to "stash" that has no definite plans unless it's something really special.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42217 of 52354, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-31, 17:53:
Brawndo wrote on 2022-01-31, 03:43:

Just bought a lot of 5 NIB Maxtor PATA hard drives on fleabay. Paid $85 shipped for the lot which is actually pretty good considering individual drives of this type have been selling for $20-$30 each (bought a few myself), so $17 per drive roughly. [/img]

Yah, pretty good deal, I've been eyeing a couple listed locally... if I had anything set up and begging for them it would be easy choice, but trying not to add to "stash" that has no definite plans unless it's something really special.

I've been buying up cheap 8mb cache 7200 80gb IDE drives when I find them mostly as spares, I find that 80gb gives a lot of flexibility for use in different period machines, I just wish NOS ones were more available here in Australia, I dont like the idea of shipping HDDs internationally.

Reply 42218 of 52354, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-30, 19:42:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-30, 19:25:

Oh wow, that's getting a bit beyond battery corrosion and into an X-files episode of some all consuming fungus released from ancient grave or something.

I think maybe that is fungus growing all over the traces near the CPU there, its all white and looks a little fluffy, but it could be electrolyte too.

All you need is some bodge wire, a little vinegar, a toothbrush and light scrubbing and she'll be good as new.

Reply 42219 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-01-30, 01:26:

Its because retro PC gaming is trying to go mainstream and the hipsters are coming in. The hobby is going to get flooded with people with pockets so deep @Artex will look like a peasant. Same bullshit is happening with CRT TVs and the same bullshit happened with retro gaming quite a while ago now. Voodoo3 3000s are basically as expensive as 5500s were 2 years ago now. I'm glad the 3000 another VOGONS user gave me some years ago is still chugging along nicely.

This is why I'm notoriously elitist and gatekeepy with my hobbies. At this point with the types of chumps joining this hobby, if I were to die some horrific unforeseen death tomorrow, I just want my shit thrown into a river unless a museum or someone from my shortlist of individuals who actually are in the hobby for the right reasons takes it. I don't want it falling into the hands of some snobby college kid who just wants to look cool. I was doing this shit years before it was cool. Like you can't have a cheap hobby anymore. It seems like everytime I switch to a new cheap hobby prices start going up soon after.

Anywho, I've been bored lately and slightly motivated get some of the more esoteric items on my want list before they get noticed by the above mentioned deep pockets people so I've picked up both an Intel i740 and a 3DLabs Permedia 2. I will be curious to see how these cards perform. I also need to invest in a Super Socket 7 ATX board at some point, since I would like to have something more approriate than a slow P3 to test these early 3D cards on.

I'm glad to hear your 3000 is still chugging along. If it's the one I gave you, I knew it was going to a good home.

Artex is a friend of mine. Great guy!

Last edited by liqmat on 2022-01-31, 23:26. Edited 1 time in total.