VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44080 of 52352, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2022-04-22, 20:52:

Big towers are not really my pair of shoes, but I got them in a fair price and I wanted them for the drives and cards...

The second one is gorgeous.

Reply 44082 of 52352, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-04-22, 17:57:

But then when I pulled it out today, I saw one of the replacement capacitors was already failing! That will teach me to buy cheap capacitors from an Amazon vendor who apparently sells new old stock from 2002.

I have very little hands on experience with the issue, but afaik, capacitors don't just age with mileage but simply chronologically. I remember storing a quality, late Pentium MMX system some year ago in pristine condition. But when I looked at it some days ago, I had to acknowledge the annoying fact that most caps on that nice Gigabyte 586TX3 had sprinkled dust all around them... so, might still boot, but definitely will need a rework. Could have been the sub optimal climate in that room (pretty humid) but anyway, wasn't the usage. So, in general, NOS might not help you there.

I know the issue from replacement batteries for cellphones or laptops - they may be unused, but they've been stored for too long and there's no way of telling with the usual ebay stuff.

Edit: OK, just now I get it that you were expecting NNS but got NOS, that was the issue to begin with. Never mind then... 😁

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-04-22, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 44083 of 52352, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Big towers are not really my pair of shoes, but I got them in a fair price and I wanted them for the drives and cards...

Yep, the full towers are a logistical nightmare and tbh, I tend to fear for my back when moving them.

But... as you've proven once more: They are much more likely to contain the good stuff. Like, really rare drives that are rare because when they appeared, they were advanced and expensive, or, same story, pre-3D VGA cards with 4 MB like that S3 vision there. And it and the awe64 look almost new.

Both really nice boxes. The 2nd one surely is an advanced case of big tower, with that full size AT PSU. Like, 15 to 20 kg advanced...

I like jumpers.

Reply 44084 of 52352, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a SCSI scanner for 5€ 😀

Umax Vista-S6. Takes pretty good pictures, even by today's standards. It's slow as shit of course, but I'm usually not in a hurry.

s6.jpg
Filename
s6.jpg
File size
89.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMGP2173_.jpg
Filename
IMGP2173_.jpg
File size
623.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 44085 of 52352, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 21:17:

Yep, the full towers are a logistical nightmare and tbh, I tend to fear for my back when moving them.

But... as you've proven once more: They are much more likely to contain the good stuff. Like, really rare drives that are rare because when they appeared, they were advanced and expensive, or, same story, pre-3D VGA cards with 4 MB like that S3 vision there. And it and the awe64 look almost new.

Both really nice boxes. The 2nd one surely is an advanced case of big tower, with that full size AT PSU. Like, 15 to 20 kg advanced...

You're fortunate. The trend I am seeing in recent months (probably longer) is nice looking front, but the rear view = prominently empty slots, empty slots which clearly held some cards until recently. Even the non-computer-savvy market has mostly realised it can double it's money by selling cards separately.

Reply 44086 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-22, 21:08:

That CD drive on the last photo is pretty cool. The entire drive bay pops out to feed the disk instead of a motorized tray.

Yeah... they are pretty reliable too. Mitsumi 1x drive. One of these will be featured in my next video (hopefully ready in a few days).

Exactly! Recently I had some back ache and picking up these two machines and moving them to my storage certainly didn't helped it.

Haha, yeah. I will be parting out both of them. This case is already reserved by friend of mine, who is a big tower afficionado, and owns like 4 big tower builds already.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44087 of 52352, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The lower one is similar to the AT tower I have, but you have the long cat version.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 44088 of 52352, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-22, 21:44:

You're fortunate. The trend I am seeing in recent months (probably longer) is nice looking front, but the rear view = prominently empty slots, empty slots which clearly held some cards until recently. Even the non-computer-savvy market has mostly realised it can double it's money by selling cards separately.

Really? In my experience, I'm still amazed how non-savvy people can get. Like, not googleing the obvious nameplate of the PCI Voodoo3 they're about to put up as "some old vga card".
But, with whole cases, well, there always should be a shot from the back if not the inside. And, many sellers will send one upon request but not add it to the offer...

I like jumpers.

Reply 44089 of 52352, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 22:37:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-22, 21:44:

Really? In my experience, I'm still amazed how non-savvy people can get. Like, not googleing the obvious nameplate of the PCI Voodoo3 they're about to put up as "some old vga card".
But, with whole cases, well, there always should be a shot from the back if not the inside. And, many sellers will send one upon request but not add it to the offer...

Well, you'd not expect desirable 90's systems containing multiple rare cards to become MORE common over time, would you?? 😉

I'm just seeing a lot of obviously-emptied-out retro systems on the market lately, is all.

You obviously still find a lot, but that is partly due to the fortune of your location.

Reply 44090 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-04-22, 22:17:

The lower one is similar to the AT tower I have, but you have the long cat version.

I love this comparison.

Reply 44091 of 52352, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-04-22, 20:50:
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-04-22, 16:23:
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:49:

Not sure how retro this is, but just got in an ASUS Sabertooth X58 with i7-980x and 12GB DDR3-1333.

Is the 870x better then equivalent 6 core XEONs?

The 870x is the consumer grade CPU and the boards and CPU only support dual channel RAM while the 980x supports triple channel RAM.

Get some nice high speed RAM... DDR3-2000 is a good speed and make that sucker sing.

I put in 6 sticks of2GB DDR3-1600 for now and it runs in 3 channel mode. If I bother to overclock it then I will try faster RAM. Thing is the CPU is 130W as is and I am only using a EVO 212 cooler on it so overclocking might make it overheat.

The Xeons on my other 2 machines use much less power so I overclocked a x5760 (95W stock) to 4Ghz. The other board has a X5650 (95W stock).

Some x58 boards wont take Xeon chips, so 6c/12t i7 equivalents are still worth x8 times their Xeon cousins.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 44092 of 52352, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple months back my 17" CRT monitor died, and I had replaced it with a decent 4:3 LCD monitor. It didn't scale low res (320x200) content very well, but pairing it with an OSSC helped a lot. Still, I wasn't 100% happy with it, so I decided it was time to go back to a CRT.

I decided this time to go with a 15" monitor, partly due to nostalgia (my very first PC had a 15" monitor), partly due to coming to the realization that 17" is just too big for 320x200 for me. My first attempt was bidding on a NOS Fujitsu monitor, but I got outbid at the last second. All the other 15" monitors were listed as untested/junk, so I then checked mercari... and someone was selling a (very) used 15" Fujitsu in good working order for around $20 shipped. Bought!

I got it hooked up and was initially very disappointed at the REALLY dark picture, but adjusting the settings fixed that up. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this little monitor. It fits PERFECTLY on my little DOS PC stand. The image is not as sharp as the 17" CRT I was using previously, but it suits 320x200 DOS gaming pretty well imo.

Attachments

• DSC_0673.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0673.JPG
    File size
    498.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 44093 of 52352, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I almost bought a 14" inch 800x600 Compaq CRT for $20. Resisted urge. Bought a $20 Thermaltake ATX case instead to house and get rid of some more "modern" parts and cut down on my extra PC parts. The purge is slow, but burning bright.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 44094 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I happen to really like CRTs. It's unfortunate that the correction from my glasses has caused them to become painful to look at now.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-04-23, 14:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44095 of 52352, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is a 15 year old NAS retro? I guess it is! Picked up a Netgear ReadyNAS from eBay with 4x2TB drives in and it's taken me days to get it working properly (2TB drives are its absolute limit for the 32 bit SPARC architecture used) but it works fine! The seller assumed one drive had failed, but it just took days to synchronise the RAID!
Not the fastest thing in the world at around 10MB/s (around 100mpbs on a 1gbps connection) writes, 35MB/s reads but it works fine! Only cost me £30 too. Biggest problem is it doesn't do SMB2 so I need to use NFS to mount the shares from Windows 10/11.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    22.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44096 of 52352, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this!

External SCSI SyQuest 230MB 3.5" drive. Full set, will archive the floppies unless they are already archived.

For whatever reason, it also seems to include coincidentally 230MB MO disk. I have an internal 650MB MO drive - i wonder, if it would work with that?

Attachments

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 44097 of 52352, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SCSI drives and CDROM towers were popular in 1990’s

Reply 44098 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made an offer on a PVM-1341 that has composite, s-video (Y/C), analog RGB, and Digital RGB. No audio in for the RGB line and that can be arranged easily by installing a 3.5mm jack and only have mono audio directly to the amp. There might be a mod for that, however. The Sony emblem is missing and I might be able to find one somewhere.

Hope this thing gets packed like a tank and doesn't fall apart on me like the last PVM.

Seller's photos:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
177.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg