VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 45160 of 52686, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure i am not the nicest person, not even close, but when i sell/ buy stuff i try to be as correct and good as possible... I may charge premium, but i give some warranty to the buyer, i give them free stuff only cuz they did choose to buy from me. Meanwhile on ebay sellers sell dirty parts, some even try to lie if they get the chance, they pack the things like baboons and the part gets trashed or even destroyed, i never do that, and i guess most of them dont give presents above some price point... + also i do collect stuff myself, so i look for the best deal, in order to have bigger collection, and salvage and save more parts from ppl that see them as garbage...

Well u got some part of them getting in my way being scumbags wrong.. SURE i am rude, BUT i did my part of the deal we cut, they did not, who is wrong then ? Also the so called my way is MORE justified, as i will get the part in my collection and preserve it, i dont look to these pieces of HW just as piggy banks, i enjoy to clean, fix, and picture parts, store them, mod them some times and build great systems with them, so YES my way is more right, then on some nasty seller that wants just profit, and also was WRONG die to wanting 10$ original price, not 100-200 or whatever, then i cut deal with him, and later on he decides that the original 10$ HE DID PUT a fucking price tag is not reasonable, and cancel the whole deal... Imagine in the corporate world there are consequences when someone cut a deal, and then they backpedal and try to cancel, they pay alot of money, they even may get sued and totally messed up, or even jail time... So that said you can see HOW wrong it is to cut a deal with someone for something, and then to chicken out, in the world of the companies and corporations, the ones that dare to cross the line and back off their words after they did shake heands on some deal, they will be ripped off, from the lawyers............

And the acid was for the scrappers, as they love acid and destroying precious stuff, or do u agree a filthy scrapper destroying socket 8 mobo with Pentium pro, 3Dfx cards, ISA high end cards ect and ect is fine and is something good... Or to take apart some nice working IBM or Compaq or any system with like pentium/ pro, 486, 386 and others and destroy it for the sake to extract the gold... Destroying working scrap such as shuttle, AXLE, QDI ect is whatever, but when they trash the rares and exotics that should be punished, and that are not only my words, other collectors (not here) said the same, about jail time and pursuit by the law...

I think u did want to make a point about how buyiers and sellers need to be more honest, but the whole rant, seems to be covered hate over me...... In the end everyone is right for himself, but still there are some rules that distinguish us from the animals right.?!?

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 45161 of 52686, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shnur wrote on 2022-06-15, 12:24:
Ah, that’s so disappointing.. could you possibly give it just single launch to check BIOS revision number? Latest for Asus II Ex […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-15, 11:47:

Sorry I missed your quote, Right now Quadzilla is in storage while I work on other projects but as soon as I can free up desk space I will for sure get you some details.

So bear with me, got a lot of retro gear to work through first, Wish desk space was as easy to get as my retro gear.

Ah, that’s so disappointing.. could you possibly give it just single launch to check BIOS revision number? Latest for Asus II Extreme was BIOS 1402, but it refused to work with 16gb of ram, i tried both 4*4 and 2*8 combinations.
If you could tell me what bios you have in your Quadzilla working with 16gb of ram - would be a huge relief, i might even help you with Xeon mod since i plan on doing it for myself also.

Thanks!

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-ASUS-S … IKER-II-EXTREME

I just remembered what was done to mine, it’s running an EVGA modded bios.

Hopefully this gives you something to work with till I can get her out of storage.

Personally I don’t normally link people to BIOS modding stuff as It can and will brick a board, it worked on mine but YMMV.

Also make sure the ram you use can handle high voltage as you’ll need to feed it more than normal ddr3.

I also have a 790i ultra Digital PWM board that runs with the same 16gb as the Striker, have you considered getting a 790i ultra SLI ?

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-06-15, 13:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45162 of 52686, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2022-06-15, 12:39:

And you? Would you let a deal go because you think "man, I would take more if I was to sell this or that"? Or would you take it and be happy luck was on your side this time?
Wouldn't you prefer to buy your piece of pork while on sale instead of the "normal" price (which is still much too low anyways)?

My point was: I can understand that a seller backs out of a trade if he learns the real value of the item is way higher than he thought. This happens all the time with classified ads.
How we both handle this situation is a different thing. As I already wrote: pretending a conversation never happened is BS, but insisting on the original price lacks empathy.
More than once I paid more money even afterwards.

Edit:
About your example: In fact, ususally I don't buy inexpensive meat exactly because I think it's immoral 😀

Last edited by HanSolo on 2022-06-15, 13:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45163 of 52686, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's keep it civil. We don't want to risk this thread getting locked. We would have to start all over again!

NyLan wrote on 2022-06-15, 11:42:

I don't know how the situation is outside of Europe, but here it's very difficult to get a "well working" IDE DVD Player in Glorious Beige. I bought lot of IDE players, writers, etc... very cheap but I'm always having issues or noises. And I can't stand putting a black one in my retro rigs.
So... when I found a new old stock of SH-D162D I decided to buy a box with 10 of them 😆

I feel you. I've been using some of my disc drives lately and found that several have issues with the tray ejecting (or not). Replacot the belt didn't work, so maybe it's a motor thing. These are not replaceable, in my experience.

Just this past week, I thought that I had a faulty disc in a machine I was bulding, but it turned out that that disc drive could read the disc sometimes, and was able to play music, but would fault when copying data or trying to make an image.

This was a very good purchase. The drives I have left are are black.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-06-15, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45164 of 52686, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2022-06-15, 13:10:
My point was: I can understand that a seller backs out of a trade if he learns the real value of the item is way higher than he […]
Show full quote
ChrisK wrote on 2022-06-15, 12:39:

And you? Would you let a deal go because you think "man, I would take more if I was to sell this or that"? Or would you take it and be happy luck was on your side this time?
Wouldn't you prefer to buy your piece of pork while on sale instead of the "normal" price (which is still much too low anyways)?

My point was: I can understand that a seller backs out of a trade if he learns the real value of the item is way higher than he thought. This happens all the time with classified ads.
How we both handle this situation is a different thing. As I already wrote: pretending a conversation never happened is BS, but insisting on the original price lacks empathy.
More than once I paid more money even afterwards.

Edit:
About your example: In fact, ususally I don't buy inexpensive meat exactly because I think it's immoral 😀

I don't think we handle those situations that different: if a seller backs off I'm sorry but I can stand it (never had that situation though).
I see a deal closed when it arrives at my door. Everything before that point just keeps the anticipation.
My whole story here was just about that money making thing. No bad words with any seller.
Didn't want to start WWx 😀

Reply 45166 of 52686, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhhh.... Mud throwing. Yeah, we dont need that here. But I will go through and see what I missed. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 45167 of 52686, by Shnur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-15, 13:06:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-ASUS-S … IKER-II-EXTREME […]
Show full quote
Ah, that’s so disappointing.. could you possibly give it just single launch to check BIOS revision number? Latest for Asus II Ex […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-15, 11:47:

Sorry I missed your quote, Right now Quadzilla is in storage while I work on other projects but as soon as I can free up desk space I will for sure get you some details.

So bear with me, got a lot of retro gear to work through first, Wish desk space was as easy to get as my retro gear.

Ah, that’s so disappointing.. could you possibly give it just single launch to check BIOS revision number? Latest for Asus II Extreme was BIOS 1402, but it refused to work with 16gb of ram, i tried both 4*4 and 2*8 combinations.
If you could tell me what bios you have in your Quadzilla working with 16gb of ram - would be a huge relief, i might even help you with Xeon mod since i plan on doing it for myself also.

Thanks!

Hopefully this gives you something to work with till I can get her out of storage.

Personally I don’t normally link people to BIOS modding stuff as It can and will brick a board, it worked on mine but YMMV.

Also make sure the ram you use can handle high voltage as you’ll need to feed it more than normal ddr3.

I also have a 790i ultra Digital PWM board that runs with the same 16gb as the Striker, have you considered getting a 790i ultra SLI ?

I’ve seen this topic at bios-mods as well as many others, and although there are few mentions of AIIE owners flashing their board with XFX bios, i personally didn’t like the idea and wanted to find “native” Asus BIOS with 16gb support.. there has been a Xeon mod for XFX P09 bios (revision with 16gb support) for quiet some time already, here for example - https://www.overclock.net/threads/xeon-microc … 9/post-27042913

How long have you been running “alien” bios on striker II mobo? Have you experienced any bugs/glitches?

Reply 45168 of 52686, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote on 2022-06-15, 14:01:

Uhhh.... Mud throwing. Yeah, we dont need that here. But I will go through and see what I missed. 😁

Agreed 🙂

Stuff like this happens. Just recently several items I had wanted to buy, when I asked then suddenly it was already sold (and one advertisement was set to "sold" AFTER I had asked if the item was still available, the seller even said the item had just been sold to somebody else like in perhaps just an hour earlier or something, yes I was just so unlucky if only I had bought it weeks earlier). Or I get no response at all from the seller. I don't get upset about it because getting upset about something like this is not worth it. It happens. Shit also happens. I just shrug it off, next! 😋

(yes they were nice items 😒 but oh well)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45169 of 52686, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These days i have much HW and stuff to play with so i dont get upset as well or mad, that was from some years ago when i did not have so many things...
But i may get mad not cuz i need the item as much, but because i am right, and the seller that did back off was not is about the right mostly, as these days most of the things i have or have even better models of them..
Back in the days many years ago i did get here and there mad, but back then i did not have so many things... These days even losted Voodoo card wont make me angry or something.. There was AD for Voodoo 1 with box even the price was set to 5 euro, but ofc that was not the real price he wanted prob like 100-150 euros did not even bother... BUT ppl that sell cheap stuff like 3Dfx cards and others, and when i want to buy it they are fine, and later on they cancel da deal or never send the item or something that is supreme BS, and that is what piss me, i wont get the item fine whatever, but that scumbag behaviour of some ppl is disgusting and need NOT to be tolerated at all...

If a seller was ignorant and did not bother to take 5 minutes to research, it should be on his account when he loses money, not on the buyer side.. I believe if in Ebay seller sells some rare item for cheap, cut a deal and the buyer gives shipping information, and then the seller cancel, then the buyer needs to open ticket to ebay and to want his money back + extra 50% refund... After all ignorance, shenanigans and BS needs to be punished, so the next time ppl not to try nasty stuff like that.. As i said early in the corporate world if someone cuts a deal then they make a contract, and if one of the sides decide to back off they need to pay for that and suffer money loss, after all the time of no one is for free, so a scummy seller loses my time he deserves to lose money for that, because HE made mistake...

Last edited by Radical Vision on 2022-06-15, 14:38. Edited 1 time in total.

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 45171 of 52686, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-06-15, 12:58:
Sure i am not the nicest person, not even close, but when i sell/ buy stuff i try to be as correct and good as possible... I may […]
Show full quote

Sure i am not the nicest person, not even close, but when i sell/ buy stuff i try to be as correct and good as possible... I may charge premium, but i give some warranty to the buyer, i give them free stuff only cuz they did choose to buy from me. Meanwhile on ebay sellers sell dirty parts, some even try to lie if they get the chance, they pack the things like baboons and the part gets trashed or even destroyed, i never do that, and i guess most of them dont give presents above some price point... + also i do collect stuff myself, so i look for the best deal, in order to have bigger collection, and salvage and save more parts from ppl that see them as garbage...

Well u got some part of them getting in my way being scumbags wrong.. SURE i am rude, BUT i did my part of the deal we cut, they did not, who is wrong then ? Also the so called my way is MORE justified, as i will get the part in my collection and preserve it, i dont look to these pieces of HW just as piggy banks, i enjoy to clean, fix, and picture parts, store them, mod them some times and build great systems with them, so YES my way is more right, then on some nasty seller that wants just profit, and also was WRONG die to wanting 10$ original price, not 100-200 or whatever, then i cut deal with him, and later on he decides that the original 10$ HE DID PUT a fucking price tag is not reasonable, and cancel the whole deal... Imagine in the corporate world there are consequences when someone cut a deal, and then they backpedal and try to cancel, they pay alot of money, they even may get sued and totally messed up, or even jail time... So that said you can see HOW wrong it is to cut a deal with someone for something, and then to chicken out, in the world of the companies and corporations, the ones that dare to cross the line and back off their words after they did shake heands on some deal, they will be ripped off, from the lawyers............

And the acid was for the scrappers, as they love acid and destroying precious stuff, or do u agree a filthy scrapper destroying socket 8 mobo with Pentium pro, 3Dfx cards, ISA high end cards ect and ect is fine and is something good... Or to take apart some nice working IBM or Compaq or any system with like pentium/ pro, 486, 386 and others and destroy it for the sake to extract the gold... Destroying working scrap such as shuttle, AXLE, QDI ect is whatever, but when they trash the rares and exotics that should be punished, and that are not only my words, other collectors (not here) said the same, about jail time and pursuit by the law...

I think u did want to make a point about how buyiers and sellers need to be more honest, but the whole rant, seems to be covered hate over me...... In the end everyone is right for himself, but still there are some rules that distinguish us from the animals right.?!?

Ok, sorry, let's end this conversation in a nicer way 😀

You already mentioned sometimes how you act as a seller which is indeed a lot better than what many others do. I totally aggree that a good packaging is the least one can expect (and many even fail on that) and I do honour if a seller cares about me as as customer or at least shows he cares about what he sells.

I only wanted to point out that we (as experts for prices of retro hardware) should show some sympathy if somebody realizes he's making a big mistake that he'll regret. But of course then he should be open about it and not act like an idiot (I too have experienced both types of behaviour). In the end we are all private buyers/sellers and not companies so I personally think the rules are different than in the 'hardcore capitalistic world'
Peace 😀

Reply 45172 of 52686, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well whatever i dont want to start dramas and stuff, i just have point of view that is way too radical i guess.... But as a pessimist i see the glass always half empty so it is easy to judge this or that...
I also clame that ASUS is a garbage brand, many will look me the bad way cuz of that...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 45173 of 52686, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shnur wrote on 2022-06-15, 14:14:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-15, 13:06:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-ASUS-S … IKER-II-EXTREME […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

I’ve seen this topic at bios-mods as well as many others, and although there are few mentions of AIIE owners flashing their board with XFX bios, i personally didn’t like the idea and wanted to find “native” Asus BIOS with 16gb support.. there has been a Xeon mod for XFX P09 bios (revision with 16gb support) for quiet some time already, here for example - https://www.overclock.net/threads/xeon-microc … 9/post-27042913

How long have you been running “alien” bios on striker II mobo? Have you experienced any bugs/glitches?

It originally came from the seller with an earlier revision of the EVGA bios which I flashed back to stock, it was a couple of years later when I got my hands on some 4gb 1.8/1.9v DDR3 sticks that I started using a modded BIOS.

No shade on ASUS but their stock bios had a ton of issues and weird limitations due to being unfinished, I’m guessing their devs were not that familiar with the 790i chipset.

I’ve had no show stopping problems with the EVGA bios, less issues than the stock ASUS one.

I can understand the feeling of using a bios not intended for the board, it’s certainly not something I would suggest doing if there was an ASUS bios for it.

You could grab a cheap 790i Dell board, they also work with the EVGA bios and generally go for cheaper prices than other versions.

Then you can keep the ASUS board unmodded and not risk bricking it.

Reply 45175 of 52686, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe your memory issue had to do with the density of bank arrangement. This was always a problem with SDRAM. I'm not sure about DDR though. You could also try lowering the timings. Some boards won't work maxed out at the fastest speeds.

Reply 45176 of 52686, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a different kind of haul. I was looking for CF cards for a few adapters I have ordered from China. The seller also had some CD-Rs for sale I could use, since my stash was almost empty. This should last for a while.

Attachments

• emtec_haul.jpg
    Filename
    emtec_haul.jpg
    File size
    492.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 45177 of 52686, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismes wrote on 2022-06-15, 15:38:

This is a different kind of haul. I was looking for CF cards for a few adapters I have ordered from China. The seller also had some CD-Rs for sale I could use, since my stash was almost empty. This should last for a while.

I always pick up recordable CDs and DVDs when I see stacks off them for a couple dollars at thrift stores.

Reply 45178 of 52686, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-15, 15:25:

Maybe your memory issue had to do with the density of bank arrangement. This was always a problem with SDRAM. I'm not sure about DDR though. You could also try lowering the timings. Some boards won't work maxed out at the fastest speeds.

Nag these were some of the first boards to support DDR3 and it wasn’t always implemented for 16gb to function right. This was back when the north bridge had the memory controller and wasn’t particularly powerful, at best if you got 16gb to work then it wouldn’t clock past pc3 8500 speeds.

8gb works perfectly however.

Reply 45179 of 52686, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanSolo wrote on 2022-06-15, 14:30:

I only wanted to point out that we (as experts for prices of retro hardware) should show some sympathy if somebody realizes he's making a big mistake

you can feel bad for somone that you think got shortchanged and at the same time take advantage of them. I know that sounds terrible but unless they are friends or family or there is some other reason like that you don't owe them anything. I mean unless you are dishonest with the person and trick, or mislead them in some way to pull a fast one on them than you have not done anything wrong and thus you cant be sorry for somthing if you havn't made some kinda mistake, or to blame.

Thats just the way it works, pretty sure no one walks into a used car dealership and offers to pay top dollar becasue they feel bad that the used car salesman has a family and shit and needs to eat. Thats not how thing work.