VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5860 of 53075, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

Bought a Leadtek Winfast A350 (Very nice fx5900 non-ultra card, completely wrapped in an alu cooler, great looks!)

That is one gorgeous looking video card! Especially from a time when video cards were butt ugly at the best of times.

Reply 5861 of 53075, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

260-pair.jpg

Not really retro.. but got a deal on a pair of these to go with my recently purchased Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe motherboard. Pair of EVGA GTX-260 SuperClocked cards. Buyer accepted my offer of $50 for both with free shipping.

Probably ludicrously overkill for an AMD 939 system. But hey whatever, they're great cards and I couldn't pass it up for $50. 1 Original owner and came with SLI bridge connection and everything.

Reply 5862 of 53075, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexter311 wrote:
nekurahoka wrote:

Bought an Audigy 2zs for my in-progress DirectX 9 build. Pictures indicate it is a platinum even though it wasn't advertised as such. Great buy and I can't wait to try it out.

Funny that... I just won an eBay auction for the same thing! Mine is the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum with the PCI card, drive bay front panel and cables, and will be going in my dual P3 build (black case).

It'll go nicely with my SB Live Platinum that I have in my single P3 build (white case)!

Great choice for a dual p3 build. You should be able to run a wide range of games with it.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 5863 of 53075, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nekurahoka wrote:

Bought an Audigy 2zs for my in-progress DirectX 9 build. Pictures indicate it is a platinum even though it wasn't advertised as such. Great buy and I can't wait to try it out.

There is no difference between the ZS and ZS Platinum aside from bundled accessories - the ZS Platinum included the front-bay, a remote control (which isn't great), and a lot of additional software (two games, some cut-down versions of pro audio software, etc). The drivers will detect "ZS Platinum" based on the ribbon cable to the front-bay being installed, otherwise the card will just show up as a ZS. There is no difference, functionally, between the two aside from the drivers not showing all of the various duplicate/extra I/O ports and not asking to install the remote control software. Creative also used to sell the front-bay as an upgrade kit for ~$80 back in the day. If you don't need the extra I/O ports on the bay (it offers nothing the normal ZS cannot do), the bay is worthless. So if you're just plugging into the rear ports on the card, it's the same no matter what, and I'd probably skip the bay because it requires extra power (4-pin Berg connector), and the big ugly ribbon (which has a special pin-out, but if you have a non-keyed IDE cable you can make it work if you take your time to line it up right).

Reply 5864 of 53075, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

simiz1-img600x464-1419111427dqwyag10449.jpg

Boxed Canopus Spectra 3200 (TNT1 16MB with SGRAM)

This should support Voodoo2 Witchdoctor with Canopus Pure II, so last chance to get my Canopus Voodoo2 card working 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5865 of 53075, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

There is no difference between the ZS and ZS Platinum aside from bundled accessories - the ZS Platinum included the front-bay, a remote control (which isn't great), and a lot of additional software (two games, some cut-down versions of pro audio software, etc).

This is true. The only reason I wanted the Platinum (with it's front drive bay panel) was to have the front drive bay panel to match my second build with the SB Live! Platinum drive bay in the front. I will use the MIDI Out and Headphones sockets, but that's about it. It'll be purely for retro cred, and to fill up my drive bays with something interesting. 😎

Reply 5866 of 53075, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dave343 wrote:
Notice anything with this SB CT2940 I got...? :happy: […]
Show full quote

Notice anything with this SB CT2940 I got...? 😀

hsosj4.jpg

Yes. The crystal oscillator for the OPL3 chip has apparently broken off. 😵

Reply 5867 of 53075, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexter311 wrote:
meljor wrote:

Bought a Leadtek Winfast A350 (Very nice fx5900 non-ultra card, completely wrapped in an alu cooler, great looks!)

That is one gorgeous looking video card! Especially from a time when video cards were butt ugly at the best of times.

I thought so too! Funny thing is i knew about the winfast A200 series and assumed the card was a Geforce 4. After googling it i found out it was a fx5900! Nice to have a smartphone at a fleamarket, otherwise i might have left it since i have several geforce 4 (mx and ti) cards. 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5871 of 53075, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
compgeke wrote:

I must wonder, is there anyone who hasn't had a Gravis Gamepad at one point? I've never known someone who hasn't.

Only the very unlucky 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5873 of 53075, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
compgeke wrote:

I must wonder, is there anyone who hasn't had a Gravis Gamepad at one point? I've never known someone who hasn't.

Only the very unlucky 😀

I still have both those very controllers, AFAIK! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5874 of 53075, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't have one back in the day, but I did have a Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick, which I mainly used for playing Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. Of course, I no longer have the Wingman, but I did eventually find a Gravis Gamepad at the local Goodwill. Perfect for games like Mega Man X. 😎

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5875 of 53075, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
compgeke wrote:

I'm one of those unlucky ones. My gamepad was an original PSX controller wired up to a hacked parallel port adapter. Worked perfectly, was a fun project when I was a kid.

Reply 5876 of 53075, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:
nekurahoka wrote:

There is no difference between the ZS and ZS Platinum aside from bundled accessories - the ZS Platinum included the front-bay, a remote control (which isn't great), and a lot of additional software (two games, some cut-down versions of pro audio software, etc). The drivers will detect "ZS Platinum" based on the ribbon cable to the front-bay being installed, otherwise the card will just show up as a ZS. There is no difference, functionally, between the two aside from the drivers not showing all of the various duplicate/extra I/O ports and not asking to install the remote control software. Creative also used to sell the front-bay as an upgrade kit for ~$80 back in the day. If you don't need the extra I/O ports on the bay (it offers nothing the normal ZS cannot do), the bay is worthless. So if you're just plugging into the rear ports on the card, it's the same no matter what, and I'd probably skip the bay because it requires extra power (4-pin Berg connector), and the big ugly ribbon (which has a special pin-out, but if you have a non-keyed IDE cable you can make it work if you take your time to line it up right).

Ah sweet. I thought the gold connectors indicated a platinum vs a regular 2zs. I was behind the times for sound cards at the time the audigy hardware was the standard. I ran a SB PCI512 for most of the 2000s.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 5878 of 53075, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
compgeke wrote:

I never had one. But got it when I bought an Amiga 1200. It has Atari joystick connector.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5879 of 53075, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
compgeke wrote:

Me. I got my first joystick two years ago 😀

edit: that's my 1000th post 😎